New Manager Thread v3

Dman

My pal who is an avid Plymouth fan said this about their manager (completely biased, of course).

He has been unbelievable. 1 full season in charge and we win the league, against far bigger clubs and get over 100 points. His style is a passing 352, but with 2x No.10s usually, although, he does switch that to 2x strikers and can be more direct.  He needs pace up top to create the space for the 10s, and had very good wing backs (Bali Mumba in particular). He had a brilliant keeper and a brilliant CM (both injured for parts of the season). Would be devastated if he left as it will likely confirm the immediate return to League 1. However, despite it being way too early for him, can understand it if he was offered a job like Southampton, just a different level altogether compared to Argyle (who will have the smallest budget in the championship) and most other clubs in the division.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

Whoever we get I hope it’s someone who embraces the more attacking players and isn’t all about off the ball bollocks.. sick to death of this now .. also would prefer a manager that prefers a variant of 433

unrealistic maybe but out of the managers we have talked about I’d go Rogers all the way has been pretty much successful every where he has been .. you can excuse him one dodgy year at Leicester after he had them pushing for champions league for couple of seasons 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I am gonna guess who we would go for I would be interested in ivan juric from Torino.

We've been linked with him before - looks like he suffers 0 fools, like pressing and can actually get a team to defend and we get the inside track on that sweet croatian production line (not the fakes we've got)

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/ivan-jurics-torino-the-fun-side-of-serie-a/#:~:text=In his first season in,got everyone in Italy talking.

Quite liked this bit

Their central midfield pivot, usually made up of the Serbian Sasa Lukic [25] and Italian Tommaso Pobega [22], in a way has no balance.

Both players are box-to-box runners, each happy to charge into goalscoring territory as Torino fly up the pitch. It’s reflected in the contribution to their side, as both players have 10 goals and assists between them this season. 

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Warnock for manager and his mate Simon Jordan as owner. Fanciful I know but one things for sure….we’d be pushing for promotion and the players feet wouldn’t touch the floor if they acted like this season’s premaddonas 

Warnock has left Huddersfield saying something like "I'll get another job in February when a team needs me to keep them up."

He's not interested in managing full time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

My pal who is an avid Plymouth fan said this about their manager (completely biased, of course).

He has been unbelievable. 1 full season in charge and we win the league, against far bigger clubs and get over 100 points. His style is a passing 352, but with 2x No.10s usually, although, he does switch that to 2x strikers and can be more direct.  He needs pace up top to create the space for the 10s, and had very good wing backs (Bali Mumba in particular). He had a brilliant keeper and a brilliant CM (both injured for parts of the season). Would be devastated if he left as it will likely confirm the immediate return to League 1. However, despite it being way too early for him, can understand it if he was offered a job like Southampton, just a different level altogether compared to Argyle (who will have the smallest budget in the championship) and most other clubs in the division.

I seem to remember a Luton fan writing a similar glowing tribute about Mad Nate when he joined us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

If I am gonna guess who we would go for I would be interested in ivan juric from Torino.

We've been linked with him before - looks like he suffers 0 fools, like pressing and can actually get a team to defend and we get the inside track on that sweet croatian production line (not the fakes we've got)

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/ivan-jurics-torino-the-fun-side-of-serie-a/#:~:text=In his first season in,got everyone in Italy talking.

Quite liked this bit

Their central midfield pivot, usually made up of the Serbian Sasa Lukic [25] and Italian Tommaso Pobega [22], in a way has no balance.

Both players are box-to-box runners, each happy to charge into goalscoring territory as Torino fly up the pitch. It’s reflected in the contribution to their side, as both players have 10 goals and assists between them this season. 

Supposedly (either in the Athletic or Telegraph) he was one of 3 people interviewed for the role.

10 hours ago, egg said:

Similarities for sure. I was with him on his initial question. He's been like a happy dog with a bone since. 

how many answers ago did all this point scoring exercise start? and whats the point, we haven't chosen a manager yet with or without his relevant experience whatever criteria that is?

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Supposedly (either in the Athletic or Telegraph) he was one of 3 people interviewed for the role.

maybe they might go back to him and say ........oppppppppppppps we fucked it up ,oh and a sizeable amount of the well what we thought were good enough are departing and the ones we thought were very good are now departing ,so whats left is not really good enough to play full time just squad fill, oh and,any chance you might have some ideas on how to move on?

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Can't really believe we passed on Juric for Jones. Would love to know the reason why.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Metrics….. 😩

Did they come out with some shite about Jones teams were one of the best statistically at defending the line from dead balls and that was an area we struggled with. Also building a spirit in the dressing room. 

so yeah metrics 

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I seem to remember a Luton fan writing a similar glowing tribute about Mad Nate when he joined us.

The thing is we can't just reject all managers with great records in lower leagues. The key is to interview them and work out whether they've got what it takes to step up. Taking Ralph as an example, he had a terrific record in lower leagues and it turned out that he could manage successfully at a much higher level.

11 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The thing is we can't just reject all managers with great records in lower leagues. The key is to interview them and work out whether they've got what it takes to step up. Taking Ralph as an example, he had a terrific record in lower leagues and it turned out that he could manage successfully at a much higher level.

That's a terrible example.

The season before he came to us Hasenhuttl was managing a team in the Champions League and was finishing top six in the Bundesliga (finishing second in his first season). We got him as a top flight top level manager.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

First of all, I liked Ralph who I think did a decent job for a good while but he did have to go, probably a bit before he did. There is only one thing that grates slightly and that is the fact he was not given the amount of money that Jones was as I think he would have spent it better. But yes, he had to go!

For me, the “realistic” names that stand out for me on there are Jon Dahl Tomasson who has by all accounts done a very good job at Blackburn.  Has brought on some talented young players there and despite not having a big budget, would almost certainly have guided them to the play offs if he had been allowed to bring in a striker in January. 

Played over 100 times for his country and scored nearly one in two so you’d hope he would earn respect from our players, seeing what they have just achieved in getting us relegated!!!!  Being a former striker may actually help our forwards at the club too.

A name that goes under the radar is Gary Rowett who has done a good job in the past with Birmingham with absolutely no money and should have got Millwall in the play offs this season, again on a small budget. Yes, they fell apart in the last game but to turn round and point to that as a reason not to consider him is almost like saying no to Guardiola as he was tactically outsmarted by Nathan Jones in the cup!

Or do we go down the Burnley route and pick a former player who has a winning mentality and would gain instant respect from the dressing room. I would not be averse to Vieira or indeed Roy Keane as I actually think he has unfinished business as a manager. His personality could be an issue with modern day players admittedly but I think our lot, throughout the club, need a kick up the backside as they’ve had it too easy for too long, e.g. not performing and still being given new contracts!!

The main issue with Jones was his arrogant personality without really a playing career to back it up.  Rowett comes across as pretty balanced in interviews and doesn’t come across as someone who will cause divides in the dressing room. My first choice however would be Tomasson though especially given the Danish connection.  Obviously speaks good English, comes across well and balanced with the media and plays a good style of football too.  To me, he fits the criteria of what Saints need right now with experience behind him in the Championship.

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

That's a terrible example.

The season before he came to us Hasenhuttl was managing a team in the Champions League and was finishing top six in the Bundesliga (finishing second in his first season). We got him as a top flight top level manager.

Think he was talking about moving from Ingolstadt to RB rather than us.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Think he was talking about moving from Ingolstadt to RB rather than us.

Ingolstadt were a Bundesliga team - Ralph got promoted and then he kept them there, he then got the RB job and Champions League football off that. Saints subsequently recruited a guy with loads of top flight experience.

We didn't recruit a "lower league manager" and neither did RB Leipzig for that matter.

Not sure I quite get the point. Is anyone really saying that we should not recruit anyone at all who has ever worked at a lower league club at any point in their own career? 

Edited by CB Fry

8 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

how many answers ago did all this point scoring exercise start? and whats the point, we haven't chosen a manager yet with or without his relevant experience whatever criteria that is?

No idea. I got bored ages ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we’re talking current/recent Championship managers then it would probably be Carlos Corberán for me. Took Huddersfield to the play off final, then when he left they needed Warnock to keep them up. Now at West Brom who he took from second bottom to 3 points off the play-offs. Was Bielsa’s assistant at Leeds so the football is decent to watch. Not sure we’d be able to get him though, as he’s already on his 3rd club in about 4 seasons so probably won’t want to move.

Edited by saintwbu

Surprised no one has mentioned Emma Hayes. 5 WSLs and 5 FA Cups, FIFA coach of the year in 2021. Might be a bit out of our reach but a winner with a proven track record and experience. Now she’s over her hysterectomy she might be up for a new challenge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Emma Hayes. 5 WSLs and 5 FA Cups, FIFA coach of the year in 2021. Might be a bit out of our reach but a winner with a proven track record and experience. Now she’s over her hysterectomy she might be up for a new challenge 

Very funny👌

As an outside of the box and potentially slightly ambitious appointment, at least for a championship club, Giovanni Van Bronkhorst

Young talented manager that, imo was rather harshly sacked from Rangers recently but a lot of Feyenoords recent success was likely built off the good work he did there in his time in charge

Plays a possession based 433, did very well in the Europa league and got the best out of Aribo, tactically very astute

We could do a lot worse

edit - I think he was potentially at City for a bit so will probably know Wilcox too

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

As an outside of the box and potentially slightly ambitious appointment, at least for a championship club, Giovanni Van Bronkhorst

Young talented manager that, imo was rather harshly sacked from Rangers recently but a lot of Feyenoords recent success was likely built off the good work he did there in his time in charge

Plays a possession based 433, did very well in the Europa league and got the best out of Aribo, tactically very astute

We could do a lot worse

edit - I think he was potentially at City for a bit so will probably know Wilcox too

Good call that, unemployed as well so would have been well up on Les Reeds secret file of managers we've been tracking for a while that always seem to be unemployed at the time we need one.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Would be my choice.

Think they did pretty well the season before too, narrowly missing out on the play-offs. Brilliant this season considering their budget and the calibre of clubs in that league.

No one mentioned that in the telegraph today that Rasmus is apparently involved in the manager search.

Rasmus Ankersen, the chief executive and co-founder of Sport Republic, who was previously co-director of football at Brentford, had seriously considered Torino’s Ivan Juric and former Schalke coach Frank Kramer when Hasenhuttl left in November, and is again expected to spearhead the managerial search.

• Sad 3

52 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

No one mentioned that in the telegraph today that Rasmus is apparently involved in the manager search.

Rasmus Ankersen, the chief executive and co-founder of Sport Republic, who was previously co-director of football at Brentford, had seriously considered Torino’s Ivan Juric and former Schalke coach Frank Kramer when Hasenhuttl left in November, and is again expected to spearhead the managerial search.

Not to say he’s bad but Kramers record doesn’t seem too convincing.

On 14/05/2023 at 12:37, Turkish said:

This supposed link between Wilcox and Viera, is it just that they were both at Man City once? Viera left in 2011 after playing 28 games, Wilcox started coaching at their academy a year later. Viera coached the Elite development squad for 2 years. I’m struggling to see any other link than that they both worked for the same employer at different times. 

I've actually looked into this a little because of the other thread and they did work at the club at the same time. Wilcox was a coach and manager of the U18's whilst Viera was coaching the EDS so there is a link and cross over where they had to work with each other. 

3 hours ago, malcolm waldron said:

The problem was that it was Mad Nate (or one of his associates) providing that glowing tribute.

What did happen to that poster who joined pretty much the day Jones started, talked incessantly about how brilliant NJ was as a manager, claimed to have been a Saints fan all his life but occasionally slipped and called Luton 'we', and then disappeared as soon as the mad twat got the boot? The one who absolutely, definitely wasn't Jones posting after training? 🤣

• Haha 2

There is talk of selecting a new manager based on style of play, and it's this technique of selection that has partially contributed to our downfall.

If we look at past form of getting teams back into PL, there is one manager that stands out in particular, although his record in the PL afterwards let him down a bit.

The manager in question got Bournemouth and Fulham from Championship back into the PL at first attempt. And he is free now too having left Club Brugge in March after a poor result in the Champions League. No doubt fhe search will have started but it should be someone with Championship pedigree and ideally PL experience.

• Like 1

There is talk of selecting a new manager based on style of play, and it's this technique of selection that has partially contributed to our downfall.

If we look at past form of getting teams back into PL, there is one manager that stands out in particular, although his record in the PL afterwards let him down a bit.

The manager in question got Bournemouth and Fulham from Championship back into the PL at first attempt so has an exemplary record already with two different teams. Maybe it could be lucky three, and he is free now too  having left Club Brugge in March. No doubt the ssearchfor a new manager will have started but it should be someone with at least Championship pedigree and ideally PL experience.

16 minutes ago, Palb said:

The manager in question got Bournemouth and Fulham from Championship back into the PL at first attempt so has an exemplary record already with two different teams. Maybe it could be lucky three, and he is free now too  having left Club Brugge in March. No doubt the ssearchfor a new manager will have started but it should be someone with at least Championship pedigree and ideally PL experience.

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

32 minutes ago, Palb said:

He is absolutely hated by Fulham and Bournemouth fans, when you take into account their fan bases, that takes a fair bit. 

Need a disciniplarian who will put the fear of god up the players if they turn up late for training or break other club rules,they really are a bunch of over paid wusses. Sick to death of most of them. Rickie Lambert made a brilliant point when he said you have to love the club and be totally in,otherwise leave,if we can get rid of half of them.

• Like 2

Just now, Andrew Watson said:

Need a disciniplarian who will put the fear of god up the players if they turn up late for training or break other club rules,they really are a bunch of over paid wusses. Sick to death of most of them. Rickie Lambert made a brilliant point when he said you have to love the club and be totally in,otherwise leave,if we can get rid of half of them.

Sounds like a bully.  Not in 2023 my friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, saint_stevo said:

Not convinced on Martin at all. With enough paint, you can make a lemon look like a lime.

My concern with Martin is that Swansea fans wanted him out less than 6 months ago, they weren't convinced a single bit.

They had a little run at the end of this season which has given him a bit of leeway, but I think it's fair to say they're not really convinced by him. And importantly for me he doesn't exactly have the experience at the top level to handle what we're going to go through this summer.

Please don't try to be clever Southampton. Getting a young manager is all about timing, the timing for us is all wrong at the moment.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

What did happen to that poster who joined pretty much the day Jones started, talked incessantly about how brilliant NJ was as a manager, claimed to have been a Saints fan all his life but occasionally slipped and called Luton 'we', and then disappeared as soon as the mad twat got the boot? The one who absolutely, definitely wasn't Jones posting after training? 🤣

This from a guy called Ben Radford on FB. Is it him do you think?:- 

Hope the Nathan Jones out fans are happy now that they have their wish and we are suffering an almighty demise at the hands of an inexperienced fool! 

When we are in League 2 battling relegation he will shit on us from a great height and laugh as we crumble and he rides upon the horse of a top 4 club! He is destined for greatness!

Edited by miserableoldgit

Don't know enough about any of the alleged targets.  Looked up Russell Martin and he's the youngest or one of the youngest managers and he's finished 13th, 15th and 10th in the last few seasons - it's not that inspiring a record although there's probably been mitigating factors.  I'd be happy with a possession based game and by all accounts Swansea haven't invested for a while so arguably he could be getting the best out of a poor side.

Martin feels too much of a risk for me though - I'd prefer it if we could get someone who had achieved promotion and knows what it takes (or at least made play-offs).  If Steve Cooper is available then he's got a much better record so I'd probably go for him. Or Potter.  Or Tommy Widdrington.