Russell Martin

LegalEagle

6 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Fucking hate those pair of bellends. That is the very top spectrum of internet bellendery

I don't mind them, they're harmless enough! The son is a bit annoying but the dad seems down to Earth enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

From SSN

Southampton chairman Henrik Kraft added: "We are extremely excited to welcome Russell to Southampton. Russell was the stand-out candidate throughout our recruitment process and we are confident 'his strong track record', alongside the experienced leadership of our new director of football Jason Wilcox will deliver great results."

Sorry, what 'strong track record' is this??

Rumour doing the rounds that wilcox didn't want him as mananger. 

I do think the statements are a bit weird... Wilcox was surely serving his notice period from city so would he have been here and blatantly working for us doing interviews etc. when this approach was allegedly made last season? And has Wilcox even been announced as joining yet as it is?

I also think its interesting/telling that it's the SR quotes that list Martin as the "ideal candidate" and not Wilcox's (aka - the man we're being constantly assured is responsible for his appointment) - and that's despite SR formally stepping back as well!

Meanwhile wilcox's statement contains a lot of guff. I flat out refuse to accept that anyone thinks there is a "great environment" at saints right now... We've had redundancies, a season long losing mentality, a squad thats been relegated with pay cuts, and with half the team scrapping for the exit whilst the other half will potentially be looking on enviously... Also I don't have anything against Martin, but we are targeting promotion - and I agree with you - there is no way he has a strong track record of that 😂. Probably reading too much into it, but has made me wonder how involved Wilcox really was. 

But ah well, in Russell Martin we trust 😂. All that really matters is what we do on the pitch, not the politics of internal recruitment. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I do think the statements are a bit weird... Wilcox was surely serving his notice period from city so would he have been here and blatantly working for us doing interviews etc. when this was approach was allegedly made last season? And has wilcox even been announced as joining yet as it is?

I also think its interesting/telling that it's the SR quotes that list Martin as the "ideal candidate" and not Wilcox's (aka - the man we're being constantly assured is responsible for his appointment) - and that's despite SR formally stepping back as well!

Meanwhile wilcox's statement contains a lot of guff. I flat out refuse to accept that anyone thinks there is a "great environment" at saints right now... We've had redundancies, a season long losing mentality, a squad thats been relegated with pay cuts, and with half the team scrapping for the exit whilst the other half will potentially be looking on enviously... Also I don't have anything against Martin, but we are targeting promotion - and I agree with you - there is no way he has a strong track record of that 😂🐟. Probably reading too much into it, but has made me wonder how involved Wilcox really was. 

But ah well, in Russell Martin we trust 😂. All that really matters is what we do on the pitch, not the politics of internal recruitment. 

You're overthinking this big time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Everything that is said is just pr guff. I'll judge him and sports Republic by what happens on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

You're overthinking this big time. 

How anyone can get worked up about meaningless benign statements like "there's a great environment at Saints" beggars belief.

The kind of stuff will get trotted out at every club big and small for new signings and appointments all bloody summer.

People interrogating it like it's bloody Watergate.

• Like 1

Just now, CB Fry said:

How anyone can get worked up about meaningless benign statements like "there's a great environment at Saints" beggars belief.

The kind of stuff will get trotted out at every club big and small for new signings and appointments all bloody summer.

Yeah but there’s rumours doing the rounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Part of me would have loved them to have been honest and seen some people on here shit themselves. "we were shite last year and the atmosphere was largely horrible, particularly during the end of the season when half the squad had given up. Most of the decent players are gagging to leave. We can probably keep some of the above average ones and we also have a crap load of money for this division so should buy some decent championship players too." everyone knows what the reality is. We don't need some crap that no one believes from Wilcox to make us feel good. Win the first 9 games and then you can drop your trousers and take a shit next to the Northam and you'll get applause. No one cares about words.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Everything that is said is just pr guff. I'll judge him and sports Republic by what happens on the pitch. 

Yep, that's exactly where I'm at as well. But I've got to be honest, I'm not confident that we will do anything other than struggle in the championship - nowhere near enough real leaders. 

9 minutes ago, Micky said:

Yep, that's exactly where I'm at as well. But I've got to be honest, I'm not confident that we will do anything other than struggle in the championship - nowhere near enough real leaders. 

If Stuart Armstrong stays, then at least we’ve got some leading heads of hair. Just need a timotei girl to complete the set from dreads to silky blonde locks. 

Martin and Kraft have talked about winning promotion this season. That's the expectation, for once we're talking about ambition prior to a season, now it's over to them to prove they're not just words. That's what they need to be judged on, once the competitive fixtures start.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Micky said:

I'm not sure we can make that judgement at this point. We could end up stuffing the team full of leaders which is where it really counts. We currently have no idea what the makeup of the team will be in September. 

• Like 1

Measures I care about are:

1. Team effort and commitment to the shirt*

2. Style of play (first, let's have one and second, please can it be exciting and attacking)

3. Results (wins are best - doh! - just in case we forgot what they look like)

4. Likeability quotient...manager, management and players...no prats please (certain management folk need a makeover)

5. The kit* - we've blown this one already, I'm on the 2 out of 10 uuugghh side - ''COYP&RS'...Come on you Pink and Reds just doesn't have the same ring to it...so when I say commitment to the shirt I mean it metaphorically not to this horrendous monstrosity.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, wild-saint said:

How do you know isnt being done / hasnt been done already? 

Because at this stage it would have been a conflict of interest. What if it fell through and he's given a rival club intel on a player that he gained while at Swansea? 

See he's here now after all but fuck me, talk about making it drag on. He's got an uphill battle now.

Edited by Saint_clark

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

What rumours, what rounds.

Fireman Sam put out a tweet yesterday which was later rubbished.

Russell Martin's move to #SaintsFC is being held up due to boardroom doubts.

Amongst others, Rasmus Ankersen believes a more proven option, such as former #afcb and #ffc boss Scott Parker, could be required to "bounce back" at the first attempt.

Move in doubt.

Should only listen to well known ITK sources Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew , Cuthbert , Dibble and Grubb.

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I do think the statements are a bit weird... Wilcox was surely serving his notice period from city so would he have been here and blatantly working for us doing interviews etc. when this approach was allegedly made last season? And has Wilcox even been announced as joining yet as it is?

Meanwhile wilcox's statement contains a lot of guff. I flat out refuse to accept that anyone thinks there is a "great environment" at saints right now... We've had redundancies, a season long losing mentality, a squad thats been relegated with pay cuts, and with half the team scrapping for the exit whilst the other half will potentially be looking on enviously... Also I don't have anything against Martin, but we are targeting promotion - and I agree with you - there is no way he has a strong track record of that 😂. Probably reading too much into it, but has made me wonder how involved Wilcox really was. 

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Like 1

A warm welcome to big Russell Martin, I wish him the very best of luck. Our punch drunk support are crying out for some positivity and are desparate to see a competitive and committed Saints side. Martin will need a ruthless streak in terms of weeding the mediocrity and Sport Republic will have to back him in terms of recruitment if they are realistic in their stated ambitions.  Let’s hope for a Nigel Adkins type experience. COYR

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Go and have a nice cup of tea mush and a lay down.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Agree, completely behind Martin, we desperately need a good start and get some more positivity around the club, on the face of it this appointment is uninspiring so he'll need to win the fans over. 

He's definitely an interesting character with his Buddism, green party, veganism. 

I think pre season will be up and down as players leave before we make some new signings , hard for Wilcox to plan until we know which players we'll actually receive decent offers for, got to try to use loan market wisely. 

• Like 3

Welcome Russell. It's not the unifying name I was hoping for but I said I would get behind him and I stand by it. The issue he is going to have is that I can envisage an awful lot of players leaving meaning a complete rebuild which is dodgy the season after relegation and if it doesn't go right, he'll be the one to bite the bullet. Still let's see.

Seems to me that this is more of a style over substance appointment and consequently it’s difficult to know how it will pan out when the squad is so up in the air. Wilcox and Martin have a huge task getting the first team sorted out and the seasons results will hinge almost entirely on getting that right. Martin has to connect with a team of players who have developed a persistent losing mentality and ensure any new recruits don’t get infected.

Huge task - wish him and his staff the best of luck.

• Like 4

Don't understand the fuss about the stats the club have put out. He's done that at two clubs with much smaller budgets and resources than ours. Hopefully he can do the job for us, but basing that on his record doesn't seem fair. For context

Pochettino's record at Espaynyol before coming to us was 53 wins, 38 draws and 70 losses.

Jones' record at Luton across two spells was 141 wins, 83 draws and 79 losses. 

Based on those stats Jones was the better hire, right?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Don't understand the fuss about the stats the club have put out. He's done that at two clubs with much smaller budgets and resources than ours. Hopefully he can do the job for us, but basing that on his record doesn't seem fair. For context

Pochettino's record at Espaynyol before coming to us was 53 wins, 38 draws and 70 losses.

It's not so much the stats themselves I have a problem with, as you say there are probably reasons they are what they are. It's the fact the club thought posting them over social media was a good way to hype up a very underwhelmed fanbase, just seems counter productive 😂

I don't recall the club posting our previous managers W/L/D stats after signing, just a weird move. 

13 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Another way of phrasing this, is that since he left MK Don's they've been relegated (actually starting with Wrexham) to league 2.

FWIW, i think Martin will do well here. He's going to have one of the better sets of players/resources at his disposal, and he's joining a club as a breath of fresh air after a terrible season and with no hang ups associated with that. In a lot of ways he's going to benefit from the "he's not Nathan Jones" effect with the fans. But, if he sits there and does ineffective Claud Puel crab football along the back 4 he'll not last long.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Another way of phrasing this, is that since he left MK Don's they've been relegated (actually starting with Wrexham) to league 2.

FWIW, i think Martin will do well here. He's going to have one of the better sets of players/resources at his disposal, and he's joining a club as a breath of fresh air after a terrible season and with no hang ups associated with that. In a lot of ways he's going to benefit from the "he's not Nathan Jones" effect with the fans. But, if he sits there and does ineffective Claud Puel crab football along the back 4 he'll not last long.

There are plenty of supporters who hope that Martin succeeds here myself included, but I’ve not seen ONE single convincing argument to indicate WHY he is expected to do well. There’s just previously gained stats and with a new club with new players with differing expectations etc., that means diddly squat!

For example, which players in the current team suit his supposed preferred style of possession based football? Let’s see…

Bazunu - yes, can see his distribution could be nurtured. Others not so much.

Defence - Tino, KWP and Perraud and even Bree are capable, the CB’s not so much.

Def Midfield - JWP and Lavia are capable, but likely to be off. Diallo and Smallbone not so much.

Attacking Mid - Alcarez and Stu A are capable and possibly Sulemana if he gets his head up and improves his passing. Edozie could develop well.  Others not so much.

Strikers - Che and Tella are capable, but reports suggest they’re both off. Possibly Mara could be OK. Others not so much.

So for Martin to be successful I would guess that we need to sign at least two CB’s, two DM’s, an AM and at least one very good striker. Six great players signed and after last seasons £140m low impact spending spree…likely? Jury’s out for me.

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

There are plenty of supporters who hope that Martin succeeds here myself included, but I’ve not seen ONE single convincing argument to indicate WHY he is expected to do well. There’s just previously gained stats and with a new club with new players with differing expectations etc., that means diddly squat!

For example, which players in the current team suit his supposed preferred style of possession based football? Let’s see…

Defence - Tino, KWP and Perraud and even Bree are capable, the CB’s not so much.

Def Midfield - JWP and Lavia are capable, but likely to be off. Diallo and Smallbone not so much.

Attacking Mid - Alcarez and Stu A are capable and possibly Sulemana if he gets his head up and improves his passing. Edozie could develop well.  Others not so much.

Strikers - Che and Tella are capable, but reports suggest they’re both off. Possibly Mara could be OK. Others not so much.

So for Martin to be successful I would guess that we need to sign at least two CB’s, two DM’s, an AM and at least one very good striker. Six great players signed and after last seasons £140m low impact spending spree…likely? Jury’s out for me.

I think we'll be signing more than 6 players.... 

My guess, depending if we get enough players offloaded will be

GK, someone to challenege/back up

CB, we will need at least two

LB, Parraud likely off 

CM, we will need two to replace Lavia and JWP

AM, depends who we keep here, but likely will need at least one

ST, probably one or two depending who departs

So I would say minimum we are looking at 8 players to rebuild the spine of the team. Money shouldn't be a problem either with the outgoings expected. 

2 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

I think we'll be signing more than 6 players.... 

My guess, depending if we get enough players offloaded will be

GK, someone to challenege/back up

CB, we will need at least two

LB, Parraud likely off 

CM, we will need two to replace Lavia and JWP

AM, depends who we keep here, but likely will need at least one

ST, probably one or two depending who departs

So I would say minimum we are looking at 8 players to rebuild the spine of the team. Money shouldn't be a problem either with the outgoings expected. 

Do you honestly expect 8 signings this summer, given the £140m spent over the last two windows and the bloated squad we have already? When did we ever sign 8 in a window especially following relegation?

16 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Do you honestly expect 8 signings this summer, given the £140m spent over the last two windows and the bloated squad we have already? When did we ever sign 8 in a window especially following relegation?

We signed 10 in the summer window didn’t we? We are going to lose a fair few players, I don’t think 8+ would be a surprise for incomings. 

54 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not so much directly related to Martin, but playing devils advocate - are you saying Swansea have better players than Saints?

• I think our central midfield will likely be made from JWP, Smallbone, Alcaraz, and then either plus Diallo or some new purposefully chosen signing (grimes mentioned) - also some academy players.
  • Good chance our wide AM will at least be 2 of Sulemana, S.Armstrong, Edozie, and Tella.

So i think all in all, that is a decent midfield for a championship team.

Defence, Tino will be class at this level if fit. Perraud is a very competent wing back for the championship. Who knows what CB's we'll keep, rumours are all of them are up for sale... But DCC could certainly play the required way in a possession side and we could do a lot worse than him and ABK.

I think Martin would have to do poorly for us to not be at least amongst the playoff sides - and in fairness to the man, he took over MK Dons when they were shite and did well (modest resources/squad), and with swansea he had limited resources and injuries and still made a good stab at it - namely ending with a good run and showing progress across his time there. In fact his short managerial career does demonstrate progress throughout. If he is well backed by the club (uncertain given the amount of turmoil and transfers/restructuring that needs to be physically done) he'll do alright here, and potentially well.

There is something to be said for us actually keeping hold of possession and maintaining our shape instead of going yolo and being cut apart by simple direct passing... We've got a potential selection of very talented AMs at this level, good championship strikers (previously), and the best Set peice specialist in world football... in all seriousness we should be able to take our time with teams at this level.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

My big problem with Russell Martin is him being a Buddhist and believing in reincarnation.  He probably thinks he can have a go and if it goes wrong he can fix it in the next life.  There's clear difference between his philosophy and that of Eminem who subscribed to the  "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime" mantra. 

I think we should have got Eminem instead.  Or Frank Sinatra.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes, if we end up selling 

Bednerak

ABK

Salisu

Perraud

KWP

Aribo

Orsic

Djnepo

Lavia

JWP

Adams

Onaucho

Stu A

Tella

Already gone is Ely and Walcott

That seems to be the likely list of players that are going, we might end up keeping one or two... That should give us something in the region of over £150m. Obviously there are areas to fill financially, but buying 8 players with a mix of youth and experience for this league seems about right for me. 

46 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The stats that give me confidence is that his Swansea team were ranked very high for possession, progressive passes, shots and expected goals. They were also ranked very low for expected goals against and shots against. They clearly conceded way more than they should have based on that, so my hope is that with a better squad and more resources, Saints will perform closer to those stats and that should make for a strong season.

Appreciate football is played on grass and we have so much change happening behind the scenes and on the pitch. Underlying stats aren’t everyone’s bag, but I can see logic.

I would add that Russell Martin isn’t an appointment that I’m particularly excited about and I hd hoped we might be able to get a bigger name with experience in earning promotion but hopefully this works out, it needs to!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

The stats that give me confidence is that his Swansea team were ranked very high for possession, progressive passes, shots and expected goals. They were also ranked very low for expected goals against and shots against. They clearly conceded way more than they should have based on that, so my hope is that with a better squad and more resources, Saints will perform closer to those stats and that should make for a strong season.

Appreciate football is played on grass and we have so much change happening behind the scenes and on the pitch. Underlying stats aren’t everyone’s bag, but I can see logic.

I would add that Russell Martin isn’t an appointment that I’m particularly excited about and I hd hoped we might be able to get a bigger name with experience in earning promotion but hopefully this works out, it needs to!

Agree with this.

• Like 1

It is an underwhelming appointment on the surface but I am really hoping RM can give us a pleasing on the eye identity if nothing else. For too long now watching saints has been really boring especially at SMS. Ultimately RM will be judged on league position but if we have a swashbuckling team then at least SMS may find its voice again. 

14 hours ago, northam soul said:

Judging by that Swansea statement I doubt we’ll be signing any of their players anytime soon.

Yeah, agree. I thought the announcement meant we had AGREED compensation, but we seem to have gone ahead and left the lawyers to wrangle. Statements from Swansea like "they owe us" do indeed mean we will be paying over the odds for any player still under contract with them, or indeed we may have to accept they are not available to us.

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The last time we got relegated? (if you include loans)

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

But you see that's my point - everyone is pinning hopes on his previous stats with a different set of players in a different club set-up.  Going forwards he's got a different set of problems to overcome, not least a demoralised relegated squad which is in danger of losing its best most influential players in Lavia, JWP and so on.  Despite the fact that financially we're in a better place than our previous relegation to the Championship, this feels like it has the potential to go the same way in terms of squad improvement, bearing in mind that the bloated squad of recent times has been a shambles and needed significant strengthening.  And I don't buy the argument that the Championship demands lesser quality - obviously it demands performances of Premiership quality to enable promotion.

So my question remains - in the shadow of our best players leaving, how will Russell Martin and his team achieve the stated aim of the Club which is immediate promotion?  What attributes does he have to match the demands of our club and 1st team squad?  His style of football appears to be more of the slow and predictable type of game we've become so bored with, so getting supporters on-side will not be an easy task.  Why did the defensive side of his game fail at Swansea and will that hurt us given we've suffered a poor defensive record ourselves in the past?

You could argue that he's re-built failing squads in the past, however that's been at a level lower than Saints aspirations and ultimately those teams have not really stood out as exceptionally good.  You could argue that he's got Championship experience which is a definite plus, however the task ahead of him cannot be underestimated.  Expectations run high and when things go wrong like they did for Jones, will he crack under the pressure?

• Like 1