QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 hour ago, Chez said:

there was one crossfield backward ball deep in the second half that was an absolute shocker putting KWP in massive trouble. Thankfully his touch was perfect and it came to nothing, but it typifies Manning. He just makes some terrible decisions with his passing. I honestly don't understand what he is thinking with some passes. Overall though, I thought he did OK.

Would still have Perraud back here like a shot after his loan spell

• Like 9

1 hour ago, derry said:

Apart from Adams standing watching outside the box while others were busting a gut, missing a dolly of a chance and playing like a lumbering lumberjack. Several players, S.Armstrong, Smallbone, KWP, THB, and Manning gifted  the ball to the opposition when under no pressure. We've got to stop that. It was a really good result down to hard work and another flick on to the far post by AA and well finished by THB. I thought Bazunu had a very sound game and contributed to another clean sheet. 

Bazunu's all round game is much better this season. Apart from the occasional blunder letting in shots to his left, I'm much more confident in him these days. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, derry said:

Apart from Adams standing watching outside the box while others were busting a gut, missing a dolly of a chance and playing like a lumbering lumberjack. Several players, S.Armstrong, Smallbone, KWP, THB, and Manning gifted  the ball to the opposition when under no pressure. We've got to stop that. It was a really good result down to hard work and another flick on to the far post by AA and well finished by THB. I thought Bazunu had a very sound game and contributed to another clean sheet. 

I’ll go along with the comment on Bazunu.  Not my favourite keeper but he did everything right today.  Very good on crosses.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Charles' red card moments ensured the win. An excellent red card if they can be had.

It was a take-one-for-the-team red card.    I like Charles, you can see the growing maturity and confidence in his game.   Think he should often be in the starting 11 instead of Smallbone.

• Like 4

I thought the first half was a bit laboured from us, we were giving the ball away too much and when we had it we were too slow to move it. The goal wasn't really coming, but we'll take it! Good finish by THB, could have easily skied that.

Second half it was far more open, I think QPR are better than the table suggests, but we did cope with their attack - in the second half it was always us most likely to score in my opinion. Adams - Jesus Christ, through on goal and he just passed it back to the keeper like he was his own player. That is standard Che though, it's what you always get from him no matter what level. We really need to evolve from him and get an actual striker soon.

Defensively, once again, sound. THB and Bednarek are one hell of a partnership, really impressed with them. Fraser brought so much when he came on (again) and stretched the play whilst they were pressing.

It wasn't an amazing performance, better 2nd half, but we are on record-breaking runs of results here. These sorts of runs get you auto promotion, this season is a bit of a freak at the top though.

The table is really starting to take shape though - 3 relegated teams far and away from everyone else, Ipswich the only odd anomaly really. I think you can nail us 4 on for the playoffs, but that 2nd spot is still there and this Christmas period will be pivotal. Leeds have got as much of a sight on that as we have. I do look at the final game of the season and wonder how huge that could potentially be.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

Very pleased with the win but for me the game just underlined the fact that we must get a halfway decent injury free new striker in January.

I agree with you but finding a half decent who wishes to come to St Mary's is going to be difficult as we have seen over recent windows.

I doubt the club has not trying to get one in who is your suggestion?

47 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Why? 2nd game in a row we haven’t started with a CF…

Pretty obvious I would've thought, dominating a game but scoring only one goal is just one cock up, bad luck or bad bounce from dropping 2 points (Watford, Huddersfield, Rotherham, etc.)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, austsaint said:

It was a take-one-for-the-team red card.    I like Charles, you can see the growing maturity and confidence in his game.   Think he should often be in the starting 11 instead of Smallbone.

What a load of rubbish, the QPR player wasn't bursting through on goal, he was only about 20 yards from his own goal. 

• Like 9

We’re going to need a lot more clean sheets this season if we don’t address the striker situation in January, we’re routinely not putting away enough chances and keeping the opposition in the game. Adams is a shell of the what he used to be, I don’t see the point in giving him game time over those who we need to develop. 

Well done to THB, another solid performance and great run for his goal. Looks like he’s enjoying it 

• Like 1

In terms of a striker it's not just goals. In that first half yesterday there was no one showing for it up front. The CB's only options were sideways or back to the keeper but when the sideways pass wasn't on, we got caught on the ball as there wasn't anyone to play it into.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What a load of rubbish, the QPR player wasn't bursting through on goal, he was only about 20 yards from his own goal. 

Yep, and there were plenty of other players back providing cover. It was totally unnecessary.

Maybe he just didn't fancy playing on Boxing Day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chez said:

Perraud will be back in the summer as he can't get a game at Nice. 

Perraud is an interesting one - I think he'd be really good in the championship, but wasn't that great in the PL. Would be useful now but not really a starting player if we go up. Perhaps he's one of those that RM spoke about thinking they were PL quality when they probably aren't.

51 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Perraud is an interesting one - I think he'd be really good in the championship, but wasn't that great in the PL. Would be useful now but not really a starting player if we go up. Perhaps he's one of those that RM spoke about thinking they were PL quality when they probably aren't.

That was Wilcox wasn’t it? You might be right but I think there were others who had done less in the game and thought they were hot shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'm not sure. He seems like quite a level headed guy and even admitted himself and the other players had let the club down last season.

Personally I think Martin brought Manning in to be first choice and told Perraud he would only be back up and they'd be happy for him to go if any offers came in for him. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yep, and there were plenty of other players back providing cover. It was totally unnecessary.

Also unnecessary that Stu Armstrong gave the ball away cheaply before both of his yellows.

With the number of players we push forward at times these types of yellows and possible reds are always a risk, but ones that the management are prepared to take.

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He was facing the oppositions goal, so how was he to know what was behind him.  What he saw was a potential breakaway and he stopped it.  Right move imo at that point of the game.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, John B said:

I agree with you but finding a half decent who wishes to come to St Mary's is going to be difficult as we have seen over recent windows.

I doubt the club has not trying to get one in who is your suggestion?

I believe we have agreement in principle with Man U to bring Amad Diallo in on loan. 14 goals for Sunderland last season when on loan there?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

Watch the highlights. Terrible game. I thought Smallbone was shite

I was at the game, I had a fantastic view, what I observed was….

that Smallbone was shite also. 

Edited by Toussaint

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

A shout out to the fans near me who spent the first half talking about air fryers and discussing whether there were people who don't own a dishwasher. 

Don't own one myself, I am the dishwasher!

Only seen the extended highlights...

Thought Fraser looked brilliant

KWP just keeps cementing his Player of the Season credentials...even if he moves in Jan (please don't)

Bazunus positioning is excellent and he is really growing as No1 keeper

Great to have Stephen's back, someone driving the team from a 'fans' point of view. Understands what it means to wear the shirt and is proud of it

3 points from a tricky away game again, looking good!

Merry Christmas all

On 24/12/2023 at 11:23, StrangelyBrown said:

I really liked Perraud.   He always looks good going forward and scored a couple of great goals last season, but looked to be "spare" in August after 

RS brought Manning in.  RP was also part of the team of "also-rans " that we put out in " the Gillingham cup fiasco "  but didn't look worse than some others

on the night - especially as he was played as a CB against those giants in the Gills front line. 

Now there are a few if's here...IF KWP were to leave in January (unlikely), we could do worse than recall Perraud,  especially if players like Bree have more

injuries then we have no other regular FB's to call upon.  Holgate will move on " somewhere", and I don't see Jack Stephens getting picked as a full back.

We have Jake Vokins back in the fold (has occasional games in U21's), and he did well (along with Smallbone ) when both scored in an FA Cup 3rd round game.

Another excellent win for us with a clean sheet :) Smart volley from THB to win the game for us :) he was my MOTM too :) Shea Charles took one for the team and he will be back for Friday night. Brilliant defending from Jack in the last minute to maintain our lead :) Onto Boxing Day now - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14