Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Just now, Roger said:

Start the same back 4 every game you can and Downes in front. If Downes out then play Charles. 

Absolutley that. That back 4 is my starting back 4 and it shouldn't change again.

Maybe Stephens can come on in games where we need him, but there's no need to mess around with that 4 from the start if they are fit (well, 5 if you class Downes as the deepest CM). The back 4 are going to be slightly rocked with a slight change in the way they play without Bazunu to use as an out ball, so playing the guys who have already established relationships makes the most sense to me.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutley that. That back 4 is my starting back 4 and it shouldn't change again.

Maybe Stephens can come on in games where we need him, but there's no need to mess around with that 4 from the start if they are fit (well, 5 if you class Downes as the deepest CM). The back 4 are going to be slightly rocked with a slight change in the way they play without Bazunu to use as an out ball, so playing the guys who have already established relationships makes the most sense to me.

You could argue we’d be already promoted if we had kept to that personal and not changed it.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Cardiff v Saints - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
On 16/04/2024 at 23:46, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jack Stephens is absolutely playing this one, Russell Martin will do almost anything to have him play. I also this will be a close game. 1-1.

Russell Martin will do almost anything to have him play ... yet left him as an unused substitute last night. Our fans have some very odd logic sometimes 🤣

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Can’t wait.  Going and thought would be dead rubber but now properly back on. Same starting line up. 1-3

Yep when I was at the Blackburn away game a couple of weeks ago, the feeling in the stand and on the pitch was that of that’s it, playoffs it is. Now wow! This time next week if we have another 6 points under our belts with Stoke at home coming up, we will be dreaming for sure! 

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

No need to change the team IMO.

Second half was a doddle, they shouldn't be tired. 

The back four MUST stay the same. 

Well they are still in the middle of 8 matches in April after a long hard season. I do think if off the back of these games and Leeds away in May, we will de dead on our feet for the playoffs. In games against Coventry and Watford we looked very leggy late on. 

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

On 22/02/2024 at 20:50, S-Clarke said:

He won play of the season last season, yep. (on Sky Sports, not the official one). But who cares what he did last season? All we can judge him on is what we see in front of us, and it's been pretty pitiful let's be honest.

I don't need to look at stats, graphs and figures to know that he hasn't scored, maybe assisted 1 at best and has created very little. On the other hand he's created a shit load of opportunities for the opposition through his awful touch, poor positioning and lack of awareness on transition. That doesn't strike me as someone who has been decent for us and I don't think it's fair to say our expectations are too high. I just want someone who can defend and provide an outlet at full back. 

On 02/03/2024 at 17:26, S-Clarke said:

I'd have Fox every day, he was decent for us I thought. At least he had an attacking output that season, 11 assists I think? 

If Manning was able to make up for his defensive dodginess with some attacking threat, then he'd have a few more fans - but even in attack he is pretty piss poor tbf. We will be so much more stable with him out of the side. Guarantee it.

I think Martin came out and was pretty honest last night saying something like he played everyone in the correct position and players that have a connection. We have a lot of games in a short period of time but we need to keep last night's line up, or as close as possible, for the rest of the season. I think we can change a couple in midfield and up front with Fraser, Charles, Edozie, Sulemana and Rothwell all being able to do a job. Not wholesale changes though and leave the back four alone!

• Like 1

Big big game now, our record at Cardiff isn't great and we haven't done the double over them since 1966. Time to sort that out, would be great to go into the Leicester game in touching distance.

Please please Saints don't fuck this chance up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Big big game now, our record at Cardiff isn't great and we haven't done the double over them since 1966. Time to sort that out, would be great to go into the Leicester game in touching distance.

Hope not as bad as last time I went to Ninian Park where we lost 1-0 and never had a shot but we had Vincent Pericard up top!

New ground for me this one hoping for another Welsh result like Swansea away 

• Like 1

Due to past history I develop a little paranoia whenever  RM says 'Flynn Downes has a bit of a knock' because it could mean he misses this game plus a few more. We need him firing on all cylinders for the crucial last 4 games of the season so I'm crossing everything that it is just a minor knock and nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Is our allocation sold out? How many are going? 

Yeah, sold out. Took the full allocation of 3,193

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Yeah, sold out. Took the full allocation of 3,193

Always a good away day, crossing the border into foreign lands, hearing train announcements in Welsh, all gives it an extra edge. 

Martin had a decent record against them with Swansea, hope he can carry that on. 

Everyone will be watching Leicester v WBA in the lunchtime kick off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coalman said:

Cardiff will be the latest team to get banjoed. Che once again stranded one goal short of his hat-trick.

The passing move and finish for Che’s second yesterday was one of the best goals I’ve seen us score in a while, it was certainly one of Che’s best finishes in his time here. More importantly after it you could see he really wanted that hat trick. I wish he’d play like that all the time. His movement was excellent too.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Maury Dyer said:

And if he hadn't messed with the team back in the middle of February, we'd be celebrating like the Skates are today. Cannot see premiership next season.

I dropped my grandson back in Fratton after our match. For some reason the streets were full of teenagers waving blue and white flags.

7 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

We got promoted in 1966 and strangely beat them 20 April 1966 Southampton3 – 2 Cardiff City so omens are good and they have little to play for

• Like 1

Hey Russ-baby? How about you leave your shoe-horn alone again, stop trying to be clever and leave Captain Fantastic on the bench?

Granted he's decent, but let's not fuck up what's worked so well by regressing to stuffing him in anywhere, eh?

Cheers and stuff.

Kisses.

Weird side Cardiff, they’ve lost 4 of the last 6 after winning 4 on the spin. Beat Ipswich at home on the end of that run, but they’ve lost their last 2 home games (Sunderland and Hull) 

Team, hopefully unchanged

Supporters, hopefully right up for it, really need to do our bit these last few games.

Hopefully minimal day tripping, posh out of towner, kit wearing snack packers, let’s have a bit of fucking city pride to put those skate helmets in the shade.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Radio Solent having a jerk-fest about 'Good Old Pompey'.

Fuck em. 

Let’s be fair, it’s the first thing the third division minnows have won in their short existence. (not to be confused with the previous cheating football club that went pop)

• Like 6

Keep the same side.  Rest players once the game is safe.  

Only change to consider is between the sticks.

Love Cardiff, I know it’s in Wales but it is actually a normal city with normal people.  Think you have to go north to encounter the inbreds and sheep-worriers.

47 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Love Cardiff, I know it’s in Wales but it is actually a normal city with normal people.  Think you have to go north to encounter the inbreds and sheep-worriers.

When at Uni in Swansea the locals called the folk in Cardiff 'the English'.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 2

Cardiff should be on the beach, as the old saying goes so really we should roll them over with little resistance as we did Preston. We should. Of course, another must win and for once I really think we will win. They are very poor at home having lost 9 already this season. I have probably jinxed it now as i rarely feel so positive about a game as this one. In fact I think we will beat Cardiff, Leicester and Stoke. No idea about the Leeds game as it will I think hugely depend on their situation as to what Leeds team we face.

If we do, then I can see Leicester being very nervous when we play them next week.

1 minute ago, east-stand-nic said:

Cardiff should be on the beach, as the old saying goes so really we should roll them over with little resistance as we did Preston. We should. Of course, another must win and for once I really think we will win. They are very poor at home having lost 9 already this season. I have probably jinxed it now as i rarely feel so positive about a game as this one. In fact I think we will beat Cardiff, Leicester and Stoke. No idea about the Leeds game as it will I think hugely depend on their situation as to what Leeds team we face.

If we do, then I can see Leicester being very nervous when we play them next week.

This will be the one we lose, we will then win the rest and miss out on auto promotion by GD. Classic Saints.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic