Saints 1 Everton 0

St Chalet

MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)  

325 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)

This was reported to have been said by Koeman when interviewed for the BBC a few minutes ago.

"I wasn't aware of Josh Sims when I was here.."

I guess that reinforces the rumoured reason Koemen is no longer here.

Wow....

Happy the kid did so well today; would like to think his inclusion was part of a strategy instead of being down to a personnel shortfall, but not so sure to be honest..

Very good performance. They played like they'd had a rocket up them.

I thought much improved performances from Hojbjerg (MOTM) and Ward-Prowse made the difference today. They were tenacious and far more positive with the ball.

Van dijk, Soares and Romeu were brilliant again and an excellent debut from Sims.

Only annoying things were long not coming on a bit earlier to run the channels and stekelenberg making saves that he would never have made for us!

Should have easily been more than the 1-0, Everton were lucky. We did what we've all been crying out for us to do from the start. Attack with pace, run and commit players and move the ball quickly in the final third. We have the players to do that and it caused everton all sorts of problems.

So many options for MOTM today, but I really enjoyed Hojburgs performance, that is his position. One of the advanced CM's, running with the ball and looking to play the ball forward - he is majestic in that role and it was easily his best game for us. Cedric was awesome and no one was beating him today, VVD and Fonte were as expected. VVD even more imperious than usual.

I think Redmond is struggling for confidence/form a bit at the moment, he's over trying things. Great to see Sims give us yet another option as an attacking player, he looks like the sort of player who can play all across the front 3. The moment he beat 3 players in that 2nd half had me stood from my seat. An excellent fearless debut.

Big 3 points, big performance, we can now continue to look up.

Should have easily been more than the 1-0, Everton were lucky. We did what we've all been crying out for us to do from the start. Attack with pace, run and commit players and move the ball quickly in the final third. We have the players to do that and it caused everton all sorts of problems.

So many options for MOTM today, but I really enjoyed Hojburgs performance, that is his position. One of the advanced CM's, running with the ball and looking to play the ball forward - he is majestic in that role and it was easily his best game for us. Cedric was awesome and no one was beating him today, VVD and Fonte were as expected. VVD even more imperious than usual.

I think Redmond is struggling for confidence/form a bit at the moment, he's over trying things. Great to see Sims give us yet another option as an attacking player, he looks like the sort of player who can play all across the front 3. The moment he beat 3 players in that 2nd half had me stood from my seat. An excellent fearless debut.

Big 3 points, big performance, we can now continue to look up.

agree with this, but can't deny football is about fine margins, i wouldn't say they were lucky, we didn't completely shut them down and they still had some half chances, had Gueye/Barkley scored in the first half etc it might have swinged the momentum.

However we also had moments to kill it off with Sims and JWP, but glad we were on the right end of a result this time

Clean sheet

+

Beat Koeman's Everton

+

Excellent debut from another academy graduate

+

Top half of Premier League

+

3 points behind 6th

+

Good chance of qualifying for Europa League knock out stages

+

In Quarter Finals of League Cup

=

MELTDOWN

We're basically matching Man U stride for stride. We're 3 points off them in the league, and in a similar position to them in the UEFA cup; plus we've both qualified for the League Cup Quarter Finals. I'd say, we're doing pretty damn well.

Shame Stek never played like that when he was here

I think this is the main thing - and he's done a number of other world class saves since he's been at Everton - when he looked like he'd never save a shot on target some matches with saints. He saved them another 2 goals at least.

Really enjoyed that. Sims with a brilliant debut and his movement off the ball made such a difference, VVD and Romeu immense and Cedric with possibly his best performance for us. On a negative note, I never thought I'd see the day where the PA system as SMS was too loud ;)

Koeman:

" I wasn't aware of Josh Sims when I was here and he is not my problem - I work for Everton, not Southampton "

Wow.

I could only have one eye on the game today. Is it fair to say Everton gave us a lot more space to attack than most recent opponents? Looked a very open game to me.

Got rid of the slow ultra cautious possession crap, won the ball, got it forward to runners quickly and supported in numbers with a high tempo. It looked to me that there has been a sea change in attitude, maybe a shot across Puel's bows from those that count or unhappy players now allowed to play to their strengths..

Redmond doesn't deserve a place, Sims was outstanding as were most of the other players with VVD, Romeu and Hojbjerg immense in a solid defence. JWP did his best but is still too negative.

Puel nearly threw it all away at the end by unbalancing the side and attempting to pack the midfield giving possession to Everton and forcing us to desperately hang on. It would have been better to throw on Rodriguez and Long with Reed for JWP. Everton gambled and had at least six forwards which left them open to counter attack. If we had had a couple of forwards they wouldn't have been able to lay siege in the last fifteen minutes. It only needed a lucky finish and the result would have been different. Puel really is negative and I'm not convinced the change in style today is down to him.

Seems clear we are not a bad side, but simply cannot deliver 2 performances per week

TBF Alps I find your trolling a bit t-w-a-t-t-i-s-h and very tiresome, but you may well have a point. However, it was always going to be thus this season. It's just we don't need you coming on here with your doom and gloom telling everyone what we already know.

That was a bloody impressive debut by Sims.

Looking forward to seeing his game develop for us.

Thought we really looked up for the game today, pressing was much better than it has been recently.

Oh, and I guess it was nice to beat Koeman/Everton as well.

VVD was absolutely immense again. You could see his frustration at the lack of noise towards the end to help get us over the line, what a result!

We really needed that and brining in the youngster gave us a real boost. It should also serve as a message to older under performing players that if you're not playing well, you won't start!

Romeu, VVD, Cedric and Fonte all brilliant. Betrand getting back to his best. Still need to be more clinical though. We are so much better with our settled back five as well!

The difference between a great and a disappointing result has been often very small this season for us. Today it deservedly fell our way for a change. Especially the first half of the first half was very impressive, I thought. Very glad for Sims to have a dream debut. VVD fantastic, and great interaction between Redmond and Bertrand. Thanks to Stekelenburg it was only 1-0.

Have to say what was has happened to Barkley, zero confidence and looks a shadow of himself? He needs to get away from Everton.

He must be a huge frustration to the club; can't remember him doing much now for 2 seasons

A shame really as he looked excellent 3 years ago

Good to get that early goal to settle nerves and allow us to sit back a little and force Everton to do all the running. The total opposite of what happened in Prague on Thursday.

Fantastic debut from Sims and was amazing to see the ovation he got when he came off. I find Koeman's comments about not being aware of him quite astounding really. The run he made in the second half to get from box to box deserved a better end product but we can excuse him I think.

Shame we couldn't get another goal or two because we probably deserved to win by a greater margin. But I won't criticise JWP for his 2nd half miss because the ball was played to him with far too much pace from Austin (I think) when it didn't need to be.

Austin was shattered by the time he came off and he really should have been replaced 10 minutes earlier with a fresh-legged Long to give the Everton defence something to think about.

Overall very happy. Our defence nullified Everton's threat and coped with everything very well.

Love this one..."Truly amazing. I'd have thought it impossible less than 12 months ago, but we seem to have found a manager capable of taking us backwards from Martinez. "

The first post on that thread - the preview, is ****ing brilliant :)

"In goal should see Forster, who, once freed from the Phantom Zone split with Ursula and General Zod to concentrate on playing in goals. Van Dyke plugs the defence? It was either that or something about Flemish Virgin Lesbians?? while Fonte partners him in fashion with matching opposite Sleeve tattoos. Equally as Portuguese, Soares could be at right back with that kid who always moved schools, had pubes before anyone, smoked Winnie reds in the dunnies and could bag the girl you always fancied Bertrand on the left. The much maligned Steven Davis, another ex Chelsea human trafficking commodity Oriel Romeu and ex Bayern Munich Vunderbar Ubermensch Hjolberg could play in the middle with Charles Austin Esquire up top. Some guy called Club Record Signing Boufal and ex- Norwich Kid 'n' Play coiffed Nathan Redmond could be on the wings. The Saints frontline cost about as much as a Bolasie and this Boufal character looks kind of tiny. From reports Pint Sized Club Record Signing Boufal looked disinterested against FC Big Stand, failing to link up with Austin and you might see the once coveted Tadic move in on his spot. Their tops also look slightly crappy this year. You could in truth see any number of the Saints squad for this fixture, they have a European game on Thursday night against Sparta and in the previous round against them beat Swansea the following weekend. They have had some tough fixtures in the opening rounds this season, and will be looking towards moving up the table before Christmas. Never an easy game, and what sad and sorry eleven will we be hoping to produce a reverse to our smelly run of poor form you ask?"

Worth a look for the picture of a young thin Terry Hurlock and a young fat MLT.

Back to the game, brilliant. We should have scored at least 2 more and soaked up the Everton pressure well. Yes, they had a couple of good chances but only 1 shot on target and that was in the last 10 minutes which says a lot. If we can avoid our usual December / Jan holidays and pick up more points than we did last year we'll finish top half and it's so congested again that could mean anything. Clearly we need better finishing. Sims was a revelation and the best debut I think since Oxlade Chamberlein.

Great result. They are really very poor and it would have been nice to stick a few more past them but any win is good.

We look so solid in the middle with Romeu, Hojbjerg, Fonte and Van Dijk. Cedric was excellent and it was good to hear more people starting to get his song and join in.

The penny is dropping with the everton fans, looks like they aren't very impressed with his comments re sims either...

Basically as the lad had been playing constantly the past two seasons for there under 21's/23's - 50 odd games - and he has been called up for the england under17's and 18's and played a fair bit for them too, then that's an absolutely shocking statement.

The likes of Kenny, Dowell, Walsh etc don't have a prayer under Koeman

Interesting how much more effective we were in a 4 3 3 formation . Wonder if it was pressure from the fans that forced Puels hand .

Fantastic game from Sims . Prowse and Redmond were poor , Redmond especially.

Much better pace and attitude from the team . Deserved to win by a bigger margin .

Wonder if Puel will ditch his poxy formation and style for something that works

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Maybe, but can't help feeling it's more to do with the team selection and our 'second XI' not being good enough (or perhaps just not the right combination of players).

Actually we don't play the same 'second eleven' each time. it didn't work out, but how else are fringe players going to get game time. Somewhere, we may have more Sims. And when we are out of the Europa cup they won't get their chances.

Enjoyed that - not just the win but moving the ball much quicker and better than the last few games, the ponderous defensive approach got the heave ho today.

Sims stole the show, very exciting to see someone running at and beating the opposition - only player that has done it this season really, Redmond occasionally but Nathan didn't have such a good game today. Romeu Mr Solid and impressed with PEH, Davis might be more a squad player from now on. JWP improving this season but should have scored. Predictable that Stek had a good game on his return!

With rumours of offers for J Rod and Boufal to the ACON, it might be time for a bold move and sell J Rod to get another couple of forwards in. One centrally as only Charlie looks like he can score, and another that can play off the front man, perhaps a loan move. We are heavy on central midfielders of a similar type so moving one of those on might free up wages, especially as I suspect we'll see more of Harrison Reed in the second half of the season.