Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1654

Thread: Sofiane Boufal

  1. #1501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    I have seen him play yes. Iíve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. My point is the fact that he gets such an easy ride just like Ramirez for no apparent reason. Saints fans latch on to a player every now and then and defend them for no clear reason. Why does he get an easier time of it than others? Some people were posting comments that made it seem like he was Ronaldo quality, completely over the top. I just donít get it.
    He gets both an easier time and a hard time, because he's a flair player. They're rare and in this country, we like to coach it out of players... Make them into boring, zero personality, physical hard working machines. God forbid a player with a bit of attitude and skill comes along. Boufal has had ****e managers. An inexperienced one and a dinosaur. He needs a manager who gives him an idea of team play, puts an arm around him and let's him do his thing. Oh we have that now... There's also obsession with comparing players to others and that every player has to be in the first 11. Having a weapon like boufal either on the bench or starting...doesnt matter as long as he performs well when he does.

    Other flair players who weren't allowed to express themselves....

    Gaston
    Guly
    Redmond
    Osvaldo (bit of a nutter granted)

  2. #1502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    I have seen him play yes. Iíve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. My point is the fact that he gets such an easy ride just like Ramirez for no apparent reason. Saints fans latch on to a player every now and then and defend them for no clear reason. Why does he get an easier time of it than others? Some people were posting comments that made it seem like he was Ronaldo quality, completely over the top. I just donít get it.
    I'm not sure why you think a 30 page thread, most of which is people saying he's **** and should leave is 'an easy ride'. Likewise, the only reason people were defending Ramirez is that so many others were writing him off. This in itself should be instructive. In the hierarchy of football, you have those players who are self-evidently great enough to receive universal admiration; next down you have the players who are inconsistent, who attract both admirers and detractors; finally you have the great mass of cloggers whose careers are measured in a handful of moments, either positive or negative, but seldom enough to actually have a long argument over.

    Boufal, Ramirez and plenty of other polarising players at other clubs are all in the second category. If they were in the first, they almost certainly wouldn't be playing for us.

  3. #1503

    Default

    ... and I remember Branfoot!

  4. #1504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    ... and I remember Branfoot!
    I still do but I wish I didn't.

  5. #1505

    Default

    30 pages or so of people writing him off. You do realise there are other online platforms don’t you? He’s getting a lot of support elsewhere.

  6. #1506

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    I get the impression that Boufal needs to be wanted/loved/appreciated. Hughes isn't the sort to do that and not sure Pellegrino was either.
    Ralph is a MAN manager, the others were football managers, probably a ship pole as that. All the crap about controlling the controllables and so on with. no ideas about how to motivate and gel a team ethic.

  7. #1507

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,025
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Ralph is a MAN manager, the others were football managers, probably a ship pole as that. All the crap about controlling the controllables and so on with. no ideas about how to motivate and gel a team ethic.
    This has probably been said but Pellegrino and Hughes were dreadful managers and wouldn't have got a tune out of many talented players. Ralph is obviously different (see already how Redmond and JWP have come on) so if anyone can get his attitude and performances right he's in the right place

    Having said that clearly its up to the lad himself how much much he wants to work ....

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    30 pages or so of people writing him off. You do realise there are other online platforms don’t you? He’s getting a lot of support elsewhere.
    This summer's exciting signings (Djenepo /Adams) will be the forum rejects ( Boufal) in two years time. It's always been that way.

  9. Default

    This whole thread has turned into Marry/Snog/Avoid.

    For me, he's a Snog, at present. This season he has the potential to become a Marry. For many of you, he's always been an Avoid.

  10. #1510

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    He gets both an easier time and a hard time, because he's a flair player. They're rare and in this country, we like to coach it out of players... Make them into boring, zero personality, physical hard working machines. God forbid a player with a bit of attitude and skill comes along. Boufal has had ****e managers. An inexperienced one and a dinosaur. He needs a manager who gives him an idea of team play, puts an arm around him and let's him do his thing. Oh we have that now... There's also obsession with comparing players to others and that every player has to be in the first 11. Having a weapon like boufal either on the bench or starting...doesnt matter as long as he performs well when he does.

    Other flair players who weren't allowed to express themselves....

    Gaston
    Guly
    Redmond
    Osvaldo (bit of a nutter granted)
    Apart from Le Tiss, Zola, Cantona, David Silva, Joe Cole, Robben, Bergkamp, Ginola, Ronaldo, Pahars, Salah, Di Canio, Hazard, Pires, Ljunberg, Okocha, Van Der Vaart, Scholes, Juninho, Eriksen, De Bruyne and several dosen others.

    I don't get your point with those four players not being 'allowed to express themselves'. If Poch could get a tune out of Gaston/Osvaldo I don't know who you think can. Likewise Guly, who played in the most goal happy dominant team we've ever had under Adkins. If he isn't expressing himself when we're basically winning two leagues back to back, I don't know when he's supposed to. Redmond's problem was confidence more than anything and never having a decent striker to work with.

  11. #1511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Apart from Le Tiss, Zola, Cantona, David Silva, Joe Cole, Robben, Bergkamp, Ginola, Ronaldo, Pahars, Salah, Di Canio, Hazard, Pires, Ljunberg, Okocha, Van Der Vaart, Scholes, Juninho, Eriksen, De Bruyne and several dosen others.

    I don't get your point with those four players not being 'allowed to express themselves'. If Poch could get a tune out of Gaston/Osvaldo I don't know who you think can. Likewise Guly, who played in the most goal happy dominant team we've ever had under Adkins. If he isn't expressing himself when we're basically winning two leagues back to back, I don't know when he's supposed to. Redmond's problem was confidence more than anything and never having a decent striker to work with.
    Haha! You've just named most of the best players in world football...2 of which we were lucky to have a saints.

    My point is that as soon as a flair player has a dip in form or maybe a few things don't come off on a match day, fans are quick to get on their backs. Players like Boufal are entertainers. They are few and far between now. To have a player like that, at our level, can be a great thing... With a manager like RH at the helm.

    Redmond wasn't allowed to express himself - just ask him or Pep.

    Tadic lost confidence because of it.

    Boufal did.

    I stand by my point.

  12. #1512

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Haha! You've just named most of the best players in world football...2 of which we were lucky to have a saints.

    My point is that as soon as a flair player has a dip in form or maybe a few things don't come off on a match day, fans are quick to get on their backs. Players like Boufal are entertainers. They are few and far between now. To have a player like that, at our level, can be a great thing... With a manager like RH at the helm.

    Redmond wasn't allowed to express himself - just ask him or Pep.

    Tadic lost confidence because of it.

    Boufal did.

    I stand by my point.
    That's my point though, there have been countless successful flair players in England and we don't try and coach it out of them. If they all came here and we told to "get back and defend, let him know you're there, stick it in the mixer FFS!" I'd agree with you but we don't. Every team needs a flare player, it's just that some are a lot better than others.

    Maybe some fans do get on their backs but that's a different point. I'll bet 99% of fans want these players to create chances, some just don't have the patience that comes with it. Managers don't drag them back into the dressing room at half time and show them videos of Lee Cattermole.

    Pep told Redmond he had to believe in himself more, not that the manager was stopping him from playing.

    Tadic said himself he didn't like the physicality and fixture intensity of the Premier League. We never told him to stop trying to create, Premier League defenses were just much better at stopping him than Willem II and Gronigen.

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

  13. Default

    Ramirez was pretty good under Adkins as a central attacking midfielder (3 goals and 3 assists in 15 games), he just wasn't physically or mentally capable of adapting to Poch's pressing game or to playing out wide.

    Redmond was terrible under Pellegrino. He seemed to only be allowed to stay wide and recycle the ball infield for shots taken around the edge of the penalty area. It was as if he was told not to commit forward or risk the ball by taking anyone on.

    Boufal has great skill with the football and he works hard, but he tries to do too much by himself and has an annoying habit of beating the same player 2-3 times then losing the ball.

    I'm fine with him staying if Ralph wants him and believes he can improve him in that respect as I do enjoy watching him play, but I wouldn't be that upset if he left if Ralph wants to strengthen the squad in other areas.

  14. #1514

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    312
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    All this waffle because of a couple of pictures. He's off if and he and Saints get suitable offer. Shame really because he's clearly a talent.

  15. #1515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    He gets both an easier time and a hard time, because he's a flair player. They're rare and in this country, we like to coach it out of players... Make them into boring, zero personality, physical hard working machines. God forbid a player with a bit of attitude and skill comes along. Boufal has had ****e managers. An inexperienced one and a dinosaur. He needs a manager who gives him an idea of team play, puts an arm around him and let's him do his thing. Oh we have that now... There's also obsession with comparing players to others and that every player has to be in the first 11. Having a weapon like boufal either on the bench or starting...doesnt matter as long as he performs well when he does.

    Other flair players who weren't allowed to express themselves....

    Gaston
    Guly
    Redmond
    Osvaldo (bit of a nutter granted)
    Great post agree. Also strongly believe it’s having that continuous run in the team starting for many of the players, Gaston and Osvaldo we’re here at the time we had lambert j-rod Lallana front three which certainly didn’t help their cause.. boufals last season he was in and out of the side along with redmond and neither done particularly great similar kind of stats

    Looking at last year redmond has 6 goals four assists in 38 games in the league which he was pretty much starting every game, this isn’t that great would boufal really not match that in 38 starts himself ?

  16. #1516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    He gets both an easier time and a hard time, because he's a flair player. They're rare and in this country, we like to coach it out of players... Make them into boring, zero personality, physical hard working machines. God forbid a player with a bit of attitude and skill comes along. Boufal has had ****e managers. An inexperienced one and a dinosaur. He needs a manager who gives him an idea of team play, puts an arm around him and let's him do his thing. Oh we have that now... There's also obsession with comparing players to others and that every player has to be in the first 11. Having a weapon like boufal either on the bench or starting...doesnt matter as long as he performs well when he does.

    Other flair players who weren't allowed to express themselves....

    Gaston
    Guly
    Redmond
    Osvaldo (bit of a nutter granted)
    I imagine Jose Fonte felt Dani Osvaldo expressed himself very clearly...

  17. #1517

    Default

    Been out all day. Have we agreed he is overrated yet?

  18. #1518

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    Been out all day. Have we agreed he is overrated yet?
    That would require the forum to reach a conclusion. I believe that contradicts forum rules.

  19. #1519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    ... and I remember Branfoot!
    Where's the swear filter when you need it?

  20. #1520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    All this waffle because of a couple of pictures. He's off if and he and Saints get suitable offer. Shame really because he's clearly a talent.
    Nope. Lemina and Austin are off, where are their pictures? Ralph wants Boufal in and around the team and he won't be leaving I reckon. Think he'll have a decent season too. 7 goals, 3 assists.

  21. #1521

    Default

    i predict 10 goals and 7 assists

    I love this time of year, I'm optimistic about everything

    But in all seriousness, fast transitions from the back and his ability to beat the entire team could be ridiculous if he stops doing his worldy shots and looks up for a pass or goal (not from 30yrds like normal)

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    i predict 10 goals and 7 assists

    I love this time of year, I'm optimistic about everything

    But in all seriousness, fast transitions from the back and his ability to beat the entire team could be ridiculous if he stops doing his worldy shots and looks up for a pass or goal (not from 30yrds like normal)
    Who for?

    The thing I love about Boufal is his ability to beat a player literally without running. He always seems to be able to jink past 1 player without even trying.

  23. #1523

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    312
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    Nope. Lemina and Austin are off, where are their pictures? Ralph wants Boufal in and around the team and he won't be leaving I reckon. Think he'll have a decent season too. 7 goals, 3 assists.
    No. Those two have clearly ****ed Ralph off somehow and have been frozen out. Do you think they are the only ones for sale? There's alot of players in pictures and involved in training that if they get a suitable offer would be gone not just those two.

  24. #1524

    Default

    He must be in favour he’s going to Holland for the game

  25. #1525

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    Nope. Lemina and Austin are off, where are their pictures? Ralph wants Boufal in and around the team and he won't be leaving I reckon. Think he'll have a decent season too. 7 goals, 3 assists.
    That's the way I see it too. Body language from Dublin suggests Ralph quite likes the player and what he does and he also seems very popular. I suppose it very much depends upon the lad himself and whether he is prepared to give it another go with Saints in the PL. Obviously he is fresh back from AfCON and has a bit of fitness training to catch up on as you can see in the pics that may be hard for him.

    In a 4-2-2-2 he would be an ideal partner for Redmond in the mid-attack twosome feeding Ings / Adams or Long / Djenepo. Sounds bloody exciting to me and would terrorise more than a few shaky PL defences - did somebody mention Arsenal, ManU & Liverpool?

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    That's the way I see it too. Body language from Dublin suggests Ralph quite likes the player and what he does and he also seems very popular. I suppose it very much depends upon the lad himself and whether he is prepared to give it another go with Saints in the PL. Obviously he is fresh back from AfCON and has a bit of fitness training to catch up on as you can see in the pics that may be hard for him.

    In a 4-2-2-2 he would be an ideal partner for Redmond in the mid-attack twosome feeding Ings / Adams or Long / Djenepo. Sounds bloody exciting to me and would terrorise more than a few shaky PL defences - did somebody mention Arsenal, ManU & Liverpool?
    Apart from the fact that Djenepo plays as an attacking mid as well, not as a striker. Useful to have some quality on that position again, though, rather than relying Redmond and JWP to consistently produce results. I think we really need four good players for those two positions, which we now have. That does mean that Armstrong, Sims and Moi are unlikely to get much game time, though.

  27. #1527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    No. Those two have clearly ****ed Ralph off somehow and have been frozen out. Do you think they are the only ones for sale? There's alot of players in pictures and involved in training that if they get a suitable offer would be gone not just those two.
    True and I'm not much of a reader into too much detail from club photographs usually. However it's clear Boufal is being hyped up by the media team and you can see from videos and photos and Ralph likes Boufal. So seems he's sticking around, which is good as he has a lot of talent and RH is a cracking man manager.

  28. #1528

    Default

    If anyone can get the best out of him.....

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Haha! You've just named most of the best players in world football...2 of which we were lucky to have a saints.

    My point is that as soon as a flair player has a dip in form or maybe a few things don't come off on a match day, fans are quick to get on their backs. Players like Boufal are entertainers. They are few and far between now. To have a player like that, at our level, can be a great thing... With a manager like RH at the helm.

    Redmond wasn't allowed to express himself - just ask him or Pep.

    Tadic lost confidence because of it.

    Boufal did.

    I stand by my point.
    Pahars was on his list. I liked Pahars but one of the best players in world football is stretching it a bit.

  30. #1530

    Default

    ......

  31. #1531

    Default

    I know itís a friendly, but I kept a close eye on Boufal. And yes he gave the ball away (so did most our midfield) but he DID track, his first touch 95 percent of the time was so good it either drew a foul or he beat the man, and his goal was very well taken. For me, he brings something different than Redmond, JWP, ings, Adams and Djenppo. Yes he is frustrating, but he is one of those player who could be missing for 85 minutes and then score a worldie. We need a player like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #1532

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airport
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    I know it’s a friendly, but I kept a close eye on Boufal. And yes he gave the ball away (so did most our midfield) but he DID track, his first touch 95 percent of the time was so good it either drew a foul or he beat the man, and his goal was very well taken. For me, he brings something different than Redmond, JWP, ings, Adams and Djenppo. Yes he is frustrating, but he is one of those player who could be missing for 85 minutes and then score a worldie. We need a player like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did exactly the same and I agree.

  33. Default

    He's always tracked back tbf. Very good at getting the ball back when he does it too.

  34. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfp1 View Post
    He's always tracked back tbf. Very good at getting the ball back when he does it too.
    Agree.

  35. #1535

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,562
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfp1 View Post
    He's always tracked back tbf. Very good at getting the ball back when he does it too.
    Was always good defensively, easily the best out of the three AMs we had at the time (Redmond and Tadic). It's going the other way that has been the issue, not his individual skills, but his ability to make things for his teammates after opening up a defence. Also often his defensive abilities are often brought to the fore because he has given the ball away.

  36. #1536

    Default

    What on Earth was he doing on the right?

    I saw nothing at all to change my negative opinion of him, if we get a semi reasonable offer take it and move on.

  37. #1537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Was always good defensively, easily the best out of the three AMs we had at the time (Redmond and Tadic). It's going the other way that has been the issue, not his individual skills, but his ability to make things for his teammates after opening up a defence. Also often his defensive abilities are often brought to the fore because he has given the ball away.
    Selling him off without even taking a look at him would have been criminal especially at 9m.
    Glad we are trying him out in training and friendlies. Ralph will have a say in the end.

  38. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    What on Earth was he doing on the right?

    I saw nothing at all to change my negative opinion of him
    At least he could have scored a goal or something. Redmond and Ings were far better!

  39. #1539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    What on Earth was he doing on the right?
    Scoring a goal

  40. #1540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    What on Earth was he doing on the right?

    I saw nothing at all to change my negative opinion of him, if we get a semi reasonable offer take it and move on.
    Good job youíre not the manager hey...

  41. Default

    Is there any actual evidence with regards to this bad attitude he's reported to have??

  42. #1542

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    Is there any actual evidence with regards to this bad attitude he's reported to have??
    Said on here, so must be true.

    Only thing I can think of is the handbags with Hughes: didn't he offer him out?

  43. #1543

    Default

    His behavior with 2 previous managers left something to be desired.
    That said i’d Happily see him offered a another chance.

  44. #1544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    His behavior with 2 previous managers left something to be desired.
    That said i’d Happily see him offered a another chance.
    Yes but to be fair they were/are both ****s

  45. Default

    2 awful managers who failed to manage him. I trust Ralph can keep him on the right track.

  46. #1546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfp1 View Post
    2 awful managers who failed to manage him. I trust Ralph can keep him on the right track.
    Failed to manage him or he failed/refused to do as they asked him to. Managers (incompetent or not) are managers and players should do as they’re asked.
    It’s not up to players to decide how/where they’re deployed. They should shut the **** up and get on with it.
    In RH we trust, so let’s hope it works out for all concerned.

  47. #1547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    Is there any actual evidence with regards to this bad attitude he's reported to have??
    widely reported that he refused to warm up during the game against Chelsea. Hughes went spare after the game and made him train with the kids.

  48. #1548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    widely reported that he refused to warm up during the game against Chelsea. Hughes went spare after the game and made him train with the kids.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...hughes-bust-up

    I can understand his frustration though not ok. Sounded like he apologised and it was sorted out pretty much straight away.

    It's potentially a fresh start for him, a last chance saloon probably. Hopefully he can step up and be a good player for us this season/

  49. #1549

    Default

    I fear we might have to sell him if an offer comes in as we need to raise some cash and get the wage bill down.
    Can blame Carrillo, Lemina and Austin if we do as they offer our club nothing.

  50. #1550

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    I fear we might have to sell him if an offer comes in as we need to raise some cash and get the wage bill down.
    Can blame Carrillo, Lemina and Austin if we do as they offer our club nothing.
    Why is it their fault? it is the clubs'/Les Reed's fault!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •