Will Smallbone

Saint Garrett

• 1 year later...

I hope he gets a good loan this season. He needs regular football and to baulk up a bit. He's talented and he has a good touch I think, better as a number 10 type from what I've seen.

I wouldn't sell him as I think there is something there, as long as he gets the games.

Edited by S-Clarke

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

It wasn’t. I posted a link on here from the Stoke forum and they were scathing about him.the post below suggests he has improved through the season.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/307772/smallpiece-mom

He certainly seems to have gotten an about turn out of few doubters - good for him.

As an aside - this brought a smile from the last post when I looked just now 

"If Tyrese is actually suffering from concussion from Tuesday night, he might not know who he is anyway. So as one Manager once famously said of a stricken player, "tell him he's Pele and put him back on! "

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

"Look we're only 8 points off sixth. In this division that's nothing with 12 games to go"

Tella and Smallbone win promotion with the loan clubs and end up back in the championship with us.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Tella and Smallbone win promotion with the loan clubs and end up back in the championship with us.

Burnley will not let Tella go without a fight and we have too many players in that position to really be able to offer him regular football so a cheque for £9m will sort that out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Burnley will not let Tella go without a fight and we have too many players in that position to really be able to offer him regular football so a cheque for £9m will sort that out. 

They don’t have a choice he isn’t their player. However they might want to sign him and an offer if they go up will probably be too good for us and Tella to turn down 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Gibbs-White had a good season in the championship last season and he was sold for 25m rising to 40 with add ons. With that in mind we should be looking for at least 20m for Tella.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got a good first time assist.

Kelleher looked as poor as Bazunu has for us at times this season. Latvia scored 2 out of their 3 shots on target. But, Bazunu does it against Premier League opposition and Latvia just aren't that, while Kelleher warms the Liverpool bench. More big club bias on the old international stage.

Another Saints link with Pahars still being part of the Latvia coaching setup.

13 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Got a good first time assist.

Kelleher looked as poor as Bazunu has for us at times this season. Latvia scored 2 out of their 3 shots on target. But, Bazunu does it against Premier League opposition and Latvia just aren't that, while Kelleher warms the Liverpool bench. More big club bias on the old international stage.

Another Saints link with Pahars still being part of the Latvia coaching setup.

Have to agree with that. Much as I don't want Bazunu to get injured, I can't understand why a benchwarmer gets used over a regular match fit keeper.

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Have to agree with that. Much as I don't want Bazunu to get injured, I can't understand why a benchwarmer gets used over a regular match fit keeper.

Because it was a friendly game made up of squad players giving them a game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

I just assumed it was because Latvia is a friendly, whereas the next games against France and Greece are competitive games.

16 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Then why call up players you don't intend to play? Call up 'squad players' and Irish club players to give them a taste.

"Give them a taste" of playing with a load of random other players that have never played internationally either, because all the main players have been left at home. That's definitely how international squad football works.

Also, Ireland have a qualifier v France in three days time, so, you know, that.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Good interview with him on The Athletic this morning. Played 45 games for Stoke and third in their fans POTS vote.

Biggest thing...he really wants to play for Saints no matter what division.

We won't have too many of those in the current squad so hopefully he has a key role.

• Like 6

Does anyone know where he’s been playing for Stoke? Always struck me a more of an attacking midfielder / no 10, rather than a deeper lying / traditional CM, but then again so did JWP up until a few seasons back. 

If he’s been playing in the 10, surely if we keep Alcaraz, that’ll hinder his playing time? 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Does anyone know where he’s been playing for Stoke? Always struck me a more of an attacking midfielder / no 10, rather than a deeper lying / traditional CM, but then again so did JWP up until a few seasons back. 

If he’s been playing in the 10, surely if we keep Alcaraz, that’ll hinder his playing time? 

They talk about him a bit on this week’s TSP, Tanswell interviewed him (for athletic), worth a listen. RMF in answer to your question.

3 hours ago, Dman said:

He has been playing advanced midfield, creative, takes all set pieces in games I watched on TV.

Didnt seem to have many defensive responsibilities.

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

He has been playing advanced midfield, creative, takes all set pieces in games I watched on TV.

Didnt seem to have many defensive responsibilities.

Do a job at CB for us then! 

Reminds me a fair bit of Ward-Prowse when he first came into the team, hard to pinpoint exactly what his best role is, will definitely be a key player next season. 

• Like 1