Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What I don't get with Ralph Hasenhüttl is that he appears to understand the game very well indeed and always gives sound technical reasons for his explanations to Journos at his weekly pressers and might expect that with that level of understanding and insight, we should be able to quickly correct errors in our play and eradicate them.

He never fails to comes across as being very intelligent, very knowledgeable of the game and even a step above some of the more widely lauded top managers technically.

Yet we continue to struggle, same old patterns of play, same old frailties and same old outcomes. So why do things not improve under the guidance of our seemingly wise manager?

I am beginning to form the view that he is brilliant at talking-the-talk but clueless at walking-the-walk. In other circumstances we would dismiss such people as nothing more than Grade A bullshissers. Ralph has certainly passed the test for being in the Premier League of such conmen.

He’s like a chef that knows how to cook but doesn’t know what to do if he is out of one or two ingredients, or how to fix things if something doesn’t go to plan during the cooking process.

33 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

He’s like a chef that knows how to cook but doesn’t know what to do if he is out of one or two ingredients, or how to fix things if something doesn’t go to plan during the cooking process.

Or causes a chip pan fire, but continues to stand in front of it, shaking the basket from time to time while the entire house burns down.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I genuinely think think Ralph could have a threesome with semmens and Steele’s wives and be served breakfast in bed by their kids the next morning before they even consider firing him. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

I think the biggest problem is he’s surrounded by shit coaches which is making him doubt himself even more.
A successful manager always has a great team around him that takes some of the load off his shoulders.
Seriously can you see JWP or Kelvin Davis etc stand up and give a proper team talk at half time?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I think the biggest problem is he’s surrounded by shit coaches which is making him doubt himself even more.
A successful manager always has a great team around him that takes some of the load off his shoulders.
Seriously can you see JWP or Kelvin Davis etc stand up and give a proper team talk at half time?

He’s had 3 years though. In that time rohl has been and gone so it’s not like we won’t get rid of those not onboard

17 hours ago, TWar said:

Saying it in the other thread but with the passive aggressive way Ralph is addressing the media ("hopefully these signings will be good enough to sell to a big team") he might be starting to lose his rag.

We need a GK, we need a CB, we need a back up LB, we need a top chance creator at AM. All those things are essential, we just made £25m net spend, cleared our wagebill massively with 6 high earners out and potentially 3 in, and we bought in a pisspoor £5m CB for Ralph. Wouldn't be surprised if he walked, he has been promised we reinvest what we make and where has all the money gone? If we actually do what Leach said (and he hasn't been wrong much at all) and make this our last signing then the board has failed Ralph, they have been taking money out of his pocket and putting it god knows where and he has every right to walk, rather than try to defend this squad which we just funnelled a further £20m out of for no reason whatsoever.

He won't walk as he knows he won't get another job in the EPL where survival is considered success. 

He needs to be sacked and should have been already

• Haha 1

Still managing us because fans don't consider his press conferences boring.

With next games against United, Newcastle, West Ham, Man City, Wolves, Chelsea I'd be ok with 5 points out of the first 7. We've then got a run against Leeds, Burnley, Watford, Villa and Norwich which is make or break for our season.

I don't think Ralph has any kind of plan for this season other than more of the same and hope it suddenly works! He's getting increasingly pissy at any criticism too., saying we actually played poorer when he bought the subs on at Everton like that's some excuse not to make any substitutions till the final ten minutes!  The man has had more than his fair share of goodwill from the fans and club but can't provide any signs of paying back the faith on the pitch.

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1

I think Semmens and Crocker are spending everything they can on the team.

So far we have bought in Perraud £11M, Adarma £15M, Tino £5M, Simeu £1.5M and Broja with a loan fee - plus there will be signing on fees for the players bought in, payouts to to the players who have left and agents fees - so that’s all the money made from selling Ings and more spent.

We probably have a bit of money left from selling Gunn £5M and Lemina £5M but how much of that was eaten up by payoffs and agents fee and signing on fees?

So we probably only have a little bit more than the £15M left from selling Vestergaard left to bring in his replacement and a left back. 

What I don’t understand is why we haven’t tried to sell players like Djneppo, Redmond or Elyounoussi so that we can bring in 1 or 2 better players. You can probably add Obafemi and Valery to that list. 

The real issue is we don’t have an owner who is willing or able to put in any money to strengthen the squad.

I think Ralph is as much the problem as the directors and the lack of money.  A good manager gets the best out of the players he has and develops a system of play to do that - Ralph seems stuck to the 4-2-2-2 high press whether we have players for it or not - or who the opposition are.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I don't think Ralph has any kind of plan for this season other than more of the same and hope it suddenly works! He's getting increasingly pissy at any criticism too., saying we actually played poorer when he bought the subs on at Everton like that's some excuse not to make any substitutions till the final ten minutes!  The man has had more than his fair share of goodwill from the fans and club but can't provide any signs of paying back the faith on the pitch.

Don’t understand his mentality on subs. “They made us worse when they came on” - maybe make them earlier then Ralph, when they have a chance to make an impact and before the game has already turned.

When you’ve let the game runaway from you and the momentum has changed it’s very difficult to get it back.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Don’t understand his mentality on subs. “They made us worse when they came on” - maybe make them earlier then Ralph, when they have a chance to make an impact and before the game has already turned.

When you’ve let the game runaway from you and the momentum has changed it’s very difficult to get it back.

Yes like others have said he is barely reactive in his management style let alone proactive! He has no idea how to manage a game as soon as the opposition comes to the table with something new.  Other teams find us so easy to counteract.  Nothing is going to change as he has a built in stubborn side & can't see his own mistakes 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I think Semmens and Crocker are spending everything they can on the team.

So far we have bought in Perraud £11M, Adarma £15M, Tino £5M, Simeu £1.5M and Broja with a loan fee - plus there will be signing on fees for the players bought in, payouts to to the players who have left and agents fees - so that’s all the money made from selling Ings and more spent.

We probably have a bit of money left from selling Gunn £5M and Lemina £5M but how much of that was eaten up by payoffs and agents fee and signing on fees?

So we probably only have a little bit more than the £15M left from selling Vestergaard left to bring in his replacement and a left back. 

What I don’t understand is why we haven’t tried to sell players like Djneppo, Redmond or Elyounoussi so that we can bring in 1 or 2 better players. You can probably add Obafemi and Valery to that list. 

The real issue is we don’t have an owner who is willing or able to put in any money to strengthen the squad.

I think Ralph is as much the problem as the directors and the lack of money.  A good manager gets the best out of the players he has and develops a system of play to do that - Ralph seems stuck to the 4-2-2-2 high press whether we have players for it or not - or who the opposition are.

It’s a wonder any transfer ever happens when there are so many costs attached to it. 

I gave him a lot of credit during the match for actually making changes and trying to do something to affect the result. Well blow me down we actually ended up with something. I really hope this is the start of him being proactive and looking to hold what we have once we take a lead. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I gave him a lot of credit during the match for actually making changes and trying to do something to affect the result. Well blow me down we actually ended up with something. I really hope this is the start of him being proactive and looking to hold what we have once we take a lead. 

It was a clear and obvious shift from last week/last season.  May not be right to do it HT every game, but he has to be a lot better at managing games.  Today, it worked.

A proactive change at half time, then some considered subs.

Worth highlighting the intensity and quality that we started the game with too. Seems to be a trait of his teams.

One day we'll be 3 up in the first 10 minutes.

Good job today, Ralph.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Did I hear correctly on radio coverage of the game that Eddie Howe was at the ground? Anyone know?

Yes. He's keen to get back into football but the only job he's been offered so far was turnstile repair man. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bob76 said:

Gave him grief for not being proactive and rubbish subs, got it right today. Hope this is a real change and he carries on this way.

Let's hope so.  I wonder whether he would have brought on Bednarek for Theo if it had been 0-0 at half time?   He was more proactive though and Diallo, KWP and Bednarek did shore things up.   Still hoping Ralph has the KWP and Tino partnership in his thinking some time soon.  

18 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Yes. He's keen to get back into football but the only job he's been offered so far was turnstile repair man. 

The vultures are circling. I’d imagine we’ve probably put feelers out around a replacement and no doubt he’d be a name we’d be interested in. Personally, I reckon he’ll be our manager come Christmas time (not saying that’s who I want, just what I think - I know he fell out with a LOT of players in his last year at Bournemouth). 

On to Ralph, you have to give credit where it’s due. Generally speaking got it all right yesterday, made the right changes at the right time and was willing to move away from his 4222 formation. Whilst a draw was probably fair, We finished the game the stronger and could / should have won. 

That being said, it’s still another lead thrown away. For me that’s an issue with the mentality at the club rather than the manager though, we’ve been at it way before Ralph arrived. Until we get a commanding CB and captain, we’ll continue to do the same. 

Edited by Dman

Ralph has overseen-with Semmens and Crocker-the necessary clear out of past bad buys. He is at last getting his own young team to mould his way. Now is the time to get behind the manager, not the time to consider a new one who would want to rebuild all over again

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Ralph has overseen-with Semmens and Crocker-the necessary clear out of past bad buys. He is at last getting his own young team to mould his way. Now is the time to get behind the manager, not the time to consider a new one who would want to rebuild all over again

Exactly. Fucking clueless posters crying out to get rid of him.

There have literally no understanding of how to run a football club.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dman said:

The vultures are circling. I’d imagine we’ve probably put feelers out around a replacement and no doubt he’d be a name we’d be interested in. Personally, I reckon he’ll be our manager come Christmas time (not saying that’s who I want, just what I think - I know he fell out with a LOT of players in his last year at Bournemouth). 

On to Ralph, you have to give credit where it’s due. Generally speaking got it all right yesterday, made the right changes at the right time and was willing to move away from his 4222 formation. Whilst a draw was probably fair, We finished the game the stronger and could / should have won. 

That being said, it’s still another lead thrown away. For me that’s an issue with the mentality at the club rather than the manager though, we’ve been at it way before Ralph arrived. Until we get a commanding CB and captain, we’ll continue to do the same. 

What odds are you giving?

On 23/08/2021 at 15:18, Dellman said:

I think Ralf will get to show again that his automism, high press and playbook for all, will show how effective it can be.

It is a difficult system to perfect, even the Don Beliesia has trouble mastering his own system.  

The new players are exciting and seem to fit Ralph main criteria, STAMINA, it is essential to the press, can't do anything without it, every player is expected to close down as a team, quickly, squeezing to designated areas and put in a tackle! Tella's interview hammered home that the press is the first line of attack and defense.  Everyone is learning the triggers to close a team down! " If they can get out of our press they have done very well" was how he felt the press/traps were improving in training recently.

Ralf's high risk, high rewardand system showed it worked last year for a spell, but because Ralf plan is always to press a team to death, if we are having an off day or injuries then it was easy to pass around our press, we were wasting energy chasing shadows. Some players were not up to it, it is a tireless and mostly unrewarded task to close down and harass, easier to back off and let them come to you, this was Bertrand, love the guy but he was not up to chasing all game. But Ralf is.....

The press was present during both games, Manu was a better display, we were able to press for most of the game and made Manu very uncomfortable. The team keeping up the energy and pressure all game. We are much better suited to the press with the new players. 

To get the young players we have brought in is GENIUS, this is how he worked a RB, best young talent, that can run their ass off for your demanding high risk/reward system. These kids are the best of breed! Insane 👏  for the money spent. We have now become fashionable for tallented young players to get PL game time, I hope more are on the horizon. Was it luck or Ralfs/Semmens vision that has convinced them? They will know of the playbook and what it demands and doesn't seem to dissuade them.

We have seen how it can overcome the billion dollar teams and compete with "lesser" players. Poch and Ralf are using intelligent hard work press to overcome the quality of the top clubs and inequality of the financial power.

So here it goes Saints fans, Ralf has more deciples to spread his press, will you help back this ambitious Coach and team to great heights, we have been to the mountain top before, can we make the summit again? Maybe stick around a bit.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I think Ralf will get to show again that his automism, high press and playbook for all, will show how effective it can be.

It is a difficult system to perfect, even the Don Beliesia has trouble mastering his own system.  

The new players are exciting and seem to fit Ralph main criteria, STAMINA, it is essential to the press, can't do anything without it, every player is expected to close down as a team, quickly, squeezing to designated areas and put in a tackle! Tella's interview hammered home that the press is the first line of attack and defense.  Everyone is learning the triggers to close a team down! " If they can get out of our press they have done very well" was how he felt the press/traps were improving in training recently.

Ralf's high risk, high rewardand system showed it worked last year for a spell, but because Ralf plan is always to press a team to death, if we are having an off day or injuries then it was easy to pass around our press, we were wasting energy chasing shadows. Some players were not up to it, it is a tireless and mostly unrewarded task to close down and harass, easier to back off and let them come to you, this was Bertrand, love the guy but he was not up to chasing all game. But Ralf is.....

The press was present during both games, Manu was a better display, we were able to press for most of the game and made Manu very uncomfortable. The team keeping up the energy and pressure all game. We are much better suited to the press with the new players. 

To get the young players we have brought in is GENIUS, this is how he worked a RB, best young talent, that can run their ass off for your demanding high risk/reward system. These kids are the best of breed! Insane 👏  for the money spent. We have now become fashionable for tallented young players to get PL game time, I hope more are on the horizon. Was it luck or Ralfs/Semmens vision that has convinced them? They will know of the playbook and what it demands and doesn't seem to dissuade them.

We have seen how it can overcome the billion dollar teams and compete with "lesser" players. Poch and Ralf are using intelligent hard work press to overcome the quality of the top clubs and inequality of the financial power.

So here it goes Saints fans, Ralf has more deciples to spread his press, will you help back this ambitious Coach and team to great heights, we have been to the mountain top before, can we make the summit again? Maybe stick around a bit.

Good post. Till now he has had to fit square pegs in round holes and play with much of his squad taught to play and/or bought to play other manager's systems. 

This is now "his" team. He's managed to re-educate those willing (or able) to learn, got rid of most of the deadwood (still concerned over the 2 GKs) and bought in excellent young ( if you're good enough you're old enough) players to fit the system .

I've always been an optimist, but after this window I genuinely see a new dawn for the club on the playing side.  We're not going to storm the league overnight but I think a lot of the doubters are going to be pleasantly surprised

• Like 2

I can't see if this has already been posted or not, but some time last month Ralph surpassed Ian Branfoot to become our longest serving manager in the PL era, and 6th longest in the post-war era. If he's still here next summer, he'll become the first Saints manager to complete 3 full seasons since Chris Nicholl.

He must be doing something right.

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I can't see if this has already been posted or not, but some time last month Ralph surpassed Ian Branfoot to become our longest serving manager in the PL era, and 6th longest in the post-war era. If he's still here next summer, he'll become the first Saints manager to complete 3 full seasons since Chris Nicholl.

His time here has been weird, a mix of brilliance and absurdity.   I'm torn between thinking he's performed miracles considering the strength of the squads we've had and that he's just a maniac who plays such raucous football that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  

• Like 4

On 22/08/2021 at 00:22, Turkish said:

He’s had 3 years though. In that time rohl has been and gone so it’s not like we won’t get rid of those not onboard

As its been discussed previously,why hasn't he sought better coaching staff?........his so called number 2 just sits there with no direct input into the playing situation

at the moment things are not going to plan,if there is one. I wonder if another of the backroom staff should get up and interject or would it be above their pay grade

thus Ralph feeling undermined?.Once again i find it frustrating watching our subs being shown flip charts just before they enter the game ,as if yep im going to come across this scenario where should i be?. Usually were loosing at said time of substitution and i find it frustrating that a player is being shown a flip chart of instructions or

some hand signals that a deaf person might think are directions to the goal. Coaches need to be stronger and have more influence.

9 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

As its been discussed previously,why hasn't he sought better coaching staff?........his so called number 2 just sits there with no direct input into the playing situation

at the moment things are not going to plan,if there is one. I wonder if another of the backroom staff should get up and interject or would it be above their pay grade

thus Ralph feeling undermined?.Once again i find it frustrating watching our subs being shown flip charts just before they enter the game ,as if yep im going to come across this scenario where should i be?. Usually were loosing at said time of substitution and i find it frustrating that a player is being shown a flip chart of instructions or

some hand signals that a deaf person might think are directions to the goal. Coaches need to be stronger and have more influence.

I ve asked time and time Again Adam Bkackmore to ask Ralph the question about his backroom staff. He always tells me he will but never does.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If he was doing that well, he’d be at another club. Longevity at our club isn’t a sign of doing a great job, it’s a sign nobody bigger wants you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If he was doing that well, he’d be at another club. Longevity at our club isn’t a sign of doing a great job, it’s a sign nobody bigger wants you. 

Yeah probably. Too good to be sacked, but not good enough to be poached.

Interestingly, his PL win ratio is only bettered by Koeman, Pochettino, Hoddle and, bizarrely, Paul Sturrock (I had almost completely forgotten about him).

He has a better win ratio than WGS, who the vast majority of fans look at as one of our most successful managers.

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Or wrong, as bigger clubs don't want him...

I do think he's a decent fit for us. Seems to care about the job, willing to work with his hands tied behind his back and seems to have the support of the players. 

God knows if he'd be any good with some money to spend but it may be a while before we find out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl