Site issues

iansums

Fair enough Steve - I think this is very much a needle in the haystack kind of problem!

It would be surprising for a site such as this to make a server fall over based on load alone, so like you said it's probably something in the database and queries. It's very odd how it can just flick back to working fine though and then stop again!

Bloody IT.

26 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

It can be today for you if you like?

Getting pretty fucked off with the snide comments from people, to be honest.

Keep fighting the good fight, Steve.  

Its annoying, but I’d be gutted if this place didn’t exist so people can moan at me for posting transfer news on transfer threads :) 

On 19/08/2020 at 03:06, trousers said:

More thinking out loud.... could the problem be the sheer size of the database? We do have 14 years worth of crud afterall! 

Maybe the answer is to archive all content off to some storage unit in the sky and start again from afresh?

Yours clutching-at-straws-ly

Archiving your posts from the Skates Takeover Saga Thread should free up a few terabytes!

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

It's mad that the people who own this software seem to fail at the one job they are meant to have.

This. If our subscriptions are paying for / contributing to the custodians of this software / platform then why are we continuing to do so if the software / platform isn't fit for purpose?

Surely we should be moving to another platform if this one isn't fit for purpose?

(P.s. for avoidance of doubt, this isn't a pop at Steve, this is a pop at the software / platform provider that's he's using )

Very bad this morning unfortunately.

Im just wondering if turning off the notifications option might not help ? It's not really necessary to know that someone has replied to your comment.

Its probably irrelevant but just trying one thing at a time gotta be better than nothing just in case its something really stupid causing this  

@stevegrant
is there any info you need from our end about what we get and when  - eg I sometimes get bad gateway, sometimes get blank page message - that may help you trace problem? Does your "end" just show there's a problem or do you see what we are seeing , or not, as the case may be  .

4 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Don't know if a problem has been resolved, but it's great today. 👍👍😀

Same here. Hopefully not a false dawn as there was a day a while back it seemed sorted, but working perfectly for me today

504 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: chqZtVK4QPIKiLL28WUxq4sEk91xHqxUh3slyMLDShO-oqs6yZ2Ynw==

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sorry I've lost patience. Really hope you can fix it and I'm sure it's frustrating but I'm going to post elsewhere for a while. 

At least when the site was working no one else had to read Hypochondriacs nonsense. I pity those poor people. Still, its another audience he can introduce his imaginary girlfriend to.

• Confused 1

It's honestly driving me insane now, just wanted to post reaction to the Sky Sports 'sackings' and it's taken me about an hour to even get close to this page. This is like the days of pre ADSL back in the early 2000's. Shouldn't be like this.

I've used so many forums over the years, and I still do, and I've never seen one react or respond like this one. Is it the forum (i've used other Invision boards) or is it the AWS backend causing the issues? Has it been overcomplicated maybe? As you mentioned there are now multiple servers to scale up and scale down etc.

Is it worth just dumping it and starting a fresh with a new brand? If we lose history, we lose history, but I'd take that over this frustrating stuff at the moment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, igsey said:

Not sure if this is helpful @stevegrant, but looks as though the forum is working fine for individual threads (navigating to these from the notifications window or the latest activity on the home page) - the "forums" for lack of a better word are hanging (e.g. https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/5-the-saints/).

This is exactly what I'm seeing as well. If I select the thread with the latest post, as show on the forum home page, I can get to that thread, and also navigate from there to the 'next unread' thread. However,  if I select 'Go to topic listing', from the bottom left of the page, I get timed out and 'Bad gateway'. It also fails if, for instance, I select The Lounge from the main menu page.