• Own goal
    • Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

Idiot posting !   The headline read :   Why Salisu's transfer to Newcastle fell through.   What a load of b*llo*ks.   

Did the person who wrote that in his column really think that Saints would sell Salisu? ...because IMHO he is the last person

we would want to sell right now as he is has been outstanding in recent games, and is improving all the time.

YES  - every player has a  price, and few people thought we would ever get close to £75 million for VvD , but it happened.

By the time Mo reaches that level, an eventual transfer fee might be even more that that..... 

Perhaps the day will come when Mo moves on,  but even though Newcastle's owners are spending money like a man with six arms, 

it remains to be seen if all their new signings will come together and be close to making - a real Prem. team. 

No player looking to advance himself wants to take the chance of being relegated in their first season, but those who take the chance

are most likely only doing it  - for the money, because it's not a good career move otherwise.

I think Salisu is a bit like Mane, took a while to acclimatise, but now he is rocking.

If his form continues then no way can we keep him. He'll want a crack at Trophies and CL.

I fully expect him to be sold for an outrageous amount in 2023. Hopefully when he goes we don't have any aggro, I hate all that. He is giving his all at the moment he deserves respect for that.

Great to have players like that at the club. Just have to accept they won't always be with us for very long.

Presumably Simeu is being lined up to replace him. Then Armitage, this will be our future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

I think Salisu is a bit like Mane, took a while to acclimatise, but now he is rocking.

If his form continues then no way can we keep him. He'll want a crack at Trophies and CL.

I fully expect him to be sold for an outrageous amount in 2023. Hopefully when he goes we don't have any aggro, I hate all that. He is giving his all at the moment he deserves respect for that.

Great to have players like that at the club. Just have to accept they won't always be with us for very long.

Presumably Simeu is being lined up to replace him. Then Armitage, this will be our future.

We won't get an outrageous amount in 2023 because he will only have 12 months left on his contract.

We will probably get some offers this summer so will be interesting to see how the club reacts - contract extension with buyout would suit everyone.

If any PL teams are keen it may as well be Newcastle because they will probably pay the most.

Re Simeu/Armitage I don't think it really works that directly. When signing those types there is clearly a hope that they might make it in the PL but there is a long way to go before it amounts to anything.

The heralded signings and subsequent stories of Jankewitz & Ramello Mitchell attest to that.

• Like 1

I know a player cannot be forced to, but given his adaptation/personal circumstances took so long to resolve we essentially signed him on a 2 year contract as the final year is pointless.

Obviously burned by mistakes of the past like Clasie, Forster, Hoedt etc but 5 year contracts or 4yrs with an option for a 5th put the club in such a stronger position.

To be a 'good' selling club we need to be selling a player like Salisu for £50m and that will only happen this summer if he doesnt sign an extension.

Pointless buying him for £10m, developing him and giving him the PL platform and then being forced to sell for £15m because his contract is running down.

If we get back to selling these guys for more then perhaps we can start buying at £25m rather than £15m.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/mohammed-salisu-why-his-january-move-newcastle-fell-through

Sounds like there was more in this than speculative interest by Newcastle.

Need to see him sign a new deal before the summer, otherwise I think we know how this story plays out!

I just cannot believe that is true at all. No way would we have sold him in January IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But his colleague still posted it on the Daily Echo site with that sensationalised headline! 

I thought Graeme Bailey used to have decent credibility but that may have changed now.

Leach is HampshireLive, not the echo I think. Echo has great exclusives but has little issue reposting bullshit, albeit citing the original article and making it clear it isn't coming from them.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I know a player cannot be forced to, but given his adaptation/personal circumstances took so long to resolve we essentially signed him on a 2 year contract as the final year is pointless.

Obviously burned by mistakes of the past like Clasie, Forster, Hoedt etc but 5 year contracts or 4yrs with an option for a 5th put the club in such a stronger position.

To be a 'good' selling club we need to be selling a player like Salisu for £50m and that will only happen this summer if he doesnt sign an extension.

Pointless buying him for £10m, developing him and giving him the PL platform and then being forced to sell for £15m because his contract is running down.

If we get back to selling these guys for more then perhaps we can start buying at £25m rather than £15m.

It obviously could have been better, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is pointless - if we get a quality player for a season and make a small profit at the end of it, then that's all good.

We don't know if Salisu would have agreed to a 5 year contract, and given his unknown issues at that time, giving him one might not have been wise. 

Tino signed a 5 year contract so it's not out of the question for us

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It obviously could have been better, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is pointless - if we get a quality player for a season and make a small profit at the end of it, then that's all good.

We obviously don't know if Salisu would have agreed to a 5 year contract, and given his unknown issues, giving him one might not be wise. 

Tino signed a 5 year contract so it's not out of the question for us

Sorry, by pointless I was refering to the final year of the contract. Any player that has a value and is seen as a way to make profit won't be allowed to enter his final year, so it may as well be knocked off the duration when considering the real amount of time we could get from the player.

A four year contract gives two full years before value starts to decline. In Salisu's case his first year was a non event.

A five year deal gives three years before value drops.

I think this is even more valid because we tend to sign players who take a while to get used to PL level, Adams, Diallo, Salisu, Perraud, Lyanco etc.

Edited by Dusic

This is the price you pay for being successful in identifying prospects and then developing them.  Yeah, it's frustrating but you make a profit which can be reinvested and you also add to your reputation and make it more likely to attract players who can replace them.  I'd rather be in a position where we're trying to fend off offers for players than having a shedload we simply can't get rid of.  

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I just cannot believe that is true at all. No way would we have sold him in January IMO.

100%.

Sounds like massively overblown story "we tried we really tried" for a Newcastle audience (similar to the stories we've heard for years and years on February 1st or September 1st).

• Like 1

This stinks of the bloke down the pub who bet on the wrong horse, then afterwards telling everyone 'yeah I was looking at that horse, I told the guy who won to bet on him, but I bet on this horse instead'

Newcastle probably enquired in January and were told to do one, they, or the local journos then let it be known that they've been watching him for years (so it looks like they have a plan) and we were going to sell but it fell through because of the new owners, pretty sure us being sold didn't come out of the blue and no one at the club knew it was happening.

They're trying to appease their fans as their blood money didn't attract the money they expected, I always had a soft spot for Newcastle, but the club, as well as their fans are quickly becoming dicks now they have money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/mohammed-salisu-why-his-january-move-newcastle-fell-through

Need to see him sign a new deal before the summer, otherwise I think we know how this story plays out!

It's totally bullshine of course designed to big up the player's ego and give him ideas above his station before the summer window. Let's be frank, he is not the finished article and certainly nowhere near a £40 m player. Agent talk and gullible reporters.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Wrong year. Did they not have an interest before he decided to sign for us?

3 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

This stinks of the bloke down the pub who bet on the wrong horse, then afterwards telling everyone 'yeah I was looking at that horse, I told the guy who won to bet on him, but I bet on this horse instead'

Newcastle probably enquired in January and were told to do one, they, or the local journos then let it be known that they've been watching him for years (so it looks like they have a plan) and we were going to sell but it fell through because of the new owners, pretty sure us being sold didn't come out of the blue and no one at the club knew it was happening.

They're trying to appease their fans as their blood money didn't attract the money they expected, I always had a soft spot for Newcastle, but the club, as well as their fans are quickly becoming dicks now they have money

Your post reads best in the voice of Bob Bulldog Briscoe

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this thread. Maybe others in the team have made greater strides of late and Salisu gets less mentions because he makes the game look so easy. Given his age and potential I genuinely wouldn't swap him for VVD. He glides across the ground and covers the back four to snuff out danger. His knack of being in the right place at the right time is uncanny. Salisu's decision making is another strong point, he makes up his mind when to make his tackle or interception and usually comes away with the ball. For me he is among the best centre backs in the Premier League and is one of our best ever signings.

Edited by Teddeer

14 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Thought I'd bump this thread. Maybe others in the team have shown greater strides of late and Salisu gets less mentions because he makes the game look so easy. Given his age and potential I genuinely wouldn't swap him for VVD. He glides across the ground and covers the back four to snuff out danger. His knack of being in the right place at the right time is uncanny. Salisu's decision making is another strong point, he makes up his mind when to make his tackle or interception and usually comes away with the ball. For me he is among the best centre backs in the Premier League and is one of our best ever signings.

He’s brilliant.

To be clear, I don’t want him to leave… BUT, if he does… might help us out if Chelsea want him, re: Broja.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s brilliant.

To be clear, I don’t want him to leave… BUT, if he does… might help us out if Chelsea want him, re: Broja.

Has there been interest from Chelsea in Salisu? Hope not and not sure I'd use him as a bargaining chip even for Broja who is top quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s brilliant.

This might be the main hope of retaining Broja. 

Ideally would like Salisu to stay another season with new contract to protect our position though. 

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Has there been interest from Chelsea in Salisu? Hope not and not sure I'd use him as a bargaining chip even for Broja who is top quality.

Of course, but mine it’s just the assumption he’d want to go to top 4. 
(it’s just a pie in the sky thought).

Chelsea want Rice and the thought of using Broja in that move crossed my mind.

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Reports on twitter and news now (pinch of salt) Barca looking now at taking Salisu to the nou camp in the summer !

Plus the previous Newcastle link = BIDDING WAR!

Would be a shame if he went, would like to see him here for another couple of seasons.

I wonder what fee we could get for him? £25M?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Plus the previous Newcastle link = BIDDING WAR!

Would be a shame if he went, would like to see him here for another couple of seasons.

Suggests a bidding war doesn’t it ! He didn’t go to the African nations with Ghana saying he wasn’t ready . 
hopefully he stays and learns his trade with us… needs to erase the mistakes in him tho ..before the villa away game which he didn’t play btw before that injury he was sensational. 

1 minute ago, Chris cooper said:

He didn’t go to the African nations with Ghana saying he wasn’t ready . 

Not unready as in not experienced enough. Unready as in not prepared to bury the hatchet with the Ghanaian FA over a long running dispute carried over from his youth days - or so the internet gossip goes. 

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Not unready as in not experienced enough. Unready as in not prepared to bury the hatchet with the Ghanaian FA over a long running dispute carried over from his youth days - or so the internet gossip goes. 

Wot was the dispute ? 

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

£25m? £40m more like unless there's something in his current contract I don't know about.

For me, he either signs a new long-term deal or goes this summer whilst he still has two years remaining.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 3

I was going to say that he might be better with another year here. But, that would be another year only if we're playing well.

Not another year of the last couple of months.

Besides, if he doesn't sign an extension, then it's better if we capitalise now, rather than have to deal with the low ball offers next summer, when he only has a year left, and may be tempted to run it down.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

£25m? £40m more like unless there's something in his current contract I don't know about.

For me, he either signs a new long-term deal or goes this summer whilst he still has two years remaining.

This is ultimately part of our model. Buy young, improve and market, sell for the best price - just make sure there is a sell on clause in their unless they move to a top club immediately. He's got the potential to be a good CB, but he's replaceable. We can buy two salisu's for his sale price - and we're not unlikely to have a new pairing next season.

Edited by Saint86

• 6 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco