Sport Republic

Dusic

9 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

That is a tad thin................he nearly buggered the whole lot up dicking around with Stoneham and stuff, everything was going down toilet until Southampton City Council galloped in to save the day with the St Marys site which was a bit messy for them to develop and not looking to be sold any time soon back then.

I sometimes think back to how different the matchgoing experience would have been with a stoneham site. Certainly the best part of St Mary’s is the location compared to the city centre. Best memories of Saints games are meeting for beers around midday then walking down to the ground from the pub. Not quite sure what the Stoneham solution would have been, something akin to the Madjeski I’d guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I sometimes think back to how different the matchgoing experience would have been with a stoneham site. Certainly the best part of St Mary’s is the location compared to the city centre. Best memories of Saints games are meeting for beers around midday then walking down to the ground from the pub. Not quite sure what the Stoneham solution would have been, something akin to the Madjeski I’d guess.

Stoneham would also have been 25,000 with not much hope of expansion. Not that keen on the actual stadium, but love the location of St Mary's.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

And the Ricoh - MK Arena .....

Coming in from the North of the county its proximity to the M27 did have some convenience appeal, even the option to easily catch the train to Southampton Parkway held some booze minded appeal, but if the retail pleasure dome had come to fruition (which was the last straw) , the car park would have been 2hrs limit only, and all us oiks would have been "marauding through the gardens"  of Stoneham Lane and Channels Farm Road - 20 years on being in the City does  bizarrely offer up much more accessibility than Stoneham would have now - especially given the volume of houses being thrown up round there.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

It would basically be the same as following Eastleigh. Drinks in Southampton/Eastleigh/Winchester wherever you come from and then bus/train/taxi in. It would have made for an answer to those 'closest together football grounds' quiz questions, doubt the Spitfires would be in the conference now if we had moved next to them.

Edited by Colinjb

2 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

It's the hope that kills you. Then again, it's been that way for the last 47 years, so probably foolish to expect anything else

47 years = supporter since 1974 by my maths. Relegation won’t have been nice that year but you’ve seen since then:

- FA Cup 1976. I have to rely on family memories.

- CWC run and promotion 1978 (too young to remember). 

- Keegan signing (too young)

- My first season I can remember was 1983/4 which wasn’t a bad time to start either. Todays generation barring a tycoon buying us will never see us finishing second in the PL and nearly do the double (Adrian Heath you little shit). I remember the Fratton cup game but was too young either to attend that one or really get the rivalry until they got promoted in 87.

ZDS, JPT and EFL Cup finals, FA Cup 2003. Club has done OK but should have won a couple of trophies more with some of the quality players on show. Realistically there needs to be a takeover soon or relegation that prompts buying the club at a lower price as Gao seems to want too much as overpaid to buy. KL saw him coming a bit, impression is that he thought it was a steady bet to sell on 2-3 years on and get funds out of China. 

Edited by saint1977

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

If they do buy us I might actually investigate the Ratuken app that was pre-installed with my tv.

Would be happy with this deal for sure.

Play.com was never the same after they took it over.  

Used to get all my DVD’s from there back in the day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Aren’t the Dildo Brothers at West Ham looking for a way out ?

They've already installed used knicker dispensing vending machines at the ground. Not sure if this is in preparation for the takeover though.

8 hours ago, Verbal said:

How many premier league teams apart from us are actually up for sale?  There must be a few.

They don't necessarily have to be up for sale, I don't think West Ham are up for sale but clearly got an offer for more investment that they are considering. 

Likely ones I'd think could be Us, Leeds maybe, Brentford? Palace? maybe Brighton?

Newcastle have just had a takeover, West Ham are getting investment, Burnley have had a takeover, and can't see any of the so called 'Big 6' being sold, maybe the owners of Spurs might call it quits? 

We probably are the most publicly available club, but whether we are good value for what Gao wants is a different matter. 

If they are willing to spend £25 million a year just to sponsor a shirt, I mean that buys like more than 10% of the club. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Hopefully our recent run of good form and it looking likely that we'll finish mid-table will open up some opportunities for new suitors.

Will we see Greenpeace at St Mary's protesting against whale hunting though?

More chance of seeing Dempsey and Makepeace at St Mary’s.

12 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Well I think Semmens said if takeover talk is mentioned in the media it probably won't happen, lets scrub this one off too 😅

Didn't quite apply with Newcastle United, though

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I think he meant specifically dealing with Saints, not as a general rule.

Indeed he was.

And the Newcastle one was going through arbitration panels and hearings and all sorts played out in public and reported by the press.It wasn't just "mentioned in the media".

49 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

It would be nice to have some decent investment, but Chinese selling to Japanese? I guess the right money would make it happen, but generally they're not the best of mates are they?

Not sure Gao is in a position to be picky about who he sells to, if someone is offering the money he wants.

1 minute ago, igsey said:

Not sure Gao is in a position to be picky about who he sells to, if someone is offering the money he wants.

No, I totally agree. I did say if the money is right. I have no evidence, but I wouldn't mind betting Gao will have "higher forces" above him, who will remind him of his duties as a respected Chinese businessman and in no way must he lose face. (Oh I do like a good conspiracy theory)😀

5 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Wrong they will target a prem club and could even look into the championship

They're trying to copy the Saudis, who did both at the same time when they bought Newcastle.

Our business models align perfectly - we both buy stuff and sell it on at a profit.

Pretty much done and dusted.

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

They're trying to copy the Saudis, who did both at the same time when they bought Newcastle.

Our business models align perfectly - we both buy stuff and sell it on at a profit.

Pretty much done and dusted.

Plus: distribution center and dock in the land near St Marys. Wasn't that the 'rumour' when we decided Bezos was interested?

• Like 1