Newport County 0-8 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Forster, KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Perraud (we have no one else), Diallo, JWP, Redmond, Armstrong, Broja, Tella.

JWP missed pre season so needs some games. Hopefully Stu is back but if not, stick AA in and move Tella to wing.

No left-back cover is barmy.  Moi's surely got to feature.

I'd imagine Forster will play, along with KWP, Bednarek and probably Diallo.

Might get a chance to see Broja? And we'll probably have to put up with Redmond too.

We can 'almost' put out a totally different team, I do think we have better depth now.

38 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

This is the annual Redmond is too good for lower league opposition game followed by a return to league games where he is shit. .

You just know it - perfect hat-trick then standing with his hand on his hips out on the wing miles from the ball at St James Park Saturday and in for the next 6 games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Interesting to see how many changes we make with Newcastle away a few days later.

Ralph tends to go fairly strong doesn't he?  But we have more options now.

Think the Newport manager has COVID, so their assistant will be in charge.

Buzzing for this one, new ground to tick off, lower league Cup away day even better in a foreign country.  

I reckon we'll make at least 7 or 8 changes. 

Good omen, last season we drew Shrewsbury in FA Cup close to Welsh border, beat them with their manager missing due to covid and we ended up getting to Wembley, hopefully same again.  

Would go with

Forster

Valery    Bednarek  Salisu    KWP

Redmond  Diallo  JWP   Elyounoussi

Broja    Tella

Whats apparent from that lineup is how much we need a backup LB and another CM (with Smallbone being injured). Would prefer not to play Valery, or play KWP out of position but needs must. Same with one of JWP/Romeu having to play again.

Heres hoping that Lyanco is being viewed as a low lying DM and we're still in for another CB. Ralph did mention about interest in a CM a while back but it seems to have gone quiet on that front

I'd like to see us play mostly our first choice team, only changes I'd make are Adams for Tella or Broja, JWP for Diallo (or S. Armstrong if he's fit) and Walcott for Elyounoussi. All the others you'd think of resting - Tino, A. Armstrong, Djenepo, Perraud and the CB pairing - could all use as much game time as possible. 

Simeu and Broja, one is in the U23s/B team, the other has not featured at all, are not going to start.  Unsure why people believe they will (unless it is what they want to see, not what they think they will see).

Also, Newport have a decent record of beating higher placed teams in the cups.

Forster,

Valery, Bednarek, Salisu, KWP

Redmond, JWP, Diallo, Moi

Armstrong, Tella

Don't rate Elyounoussi at all but may as well give him some gametime if he's staying. Perraud for Valery if he's going to leave this summer.

Broja off the bench, Maybe some minutes for Finnigan/Chauke too if we're winning. Should get an idea from the u23's lineup tonight. 

Newcastle playing Burnley Wednesday so they'll have to play a few first teamers too. 

9 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Forster,

Valery, Bednarek, Salisu, KWP

Redmond, JWP, Diallo, Moi

Armstrong, Tella

I wouldn’t think you’re too far off that line-up other than possibly Broja - at least off the bench.

He’s more than ready by all accounts and Chelsea haven’t sent him down here to not get game time. Ideal opportunity for all.

Would like us to take the competition seriously and we normally do. Adjust for the level of the opposition and try out some fringe players and test out a few things, but progression is a must. February 2017 was a fantastic day, well until right at the end. I want to experience more days like this and get over the line this time. 

• Like 1

Forster

Livramento simeu bednarek Valery

Armstrong Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Broja Tella

Maybe A. Armstrong in the place of Redmond (with Tella dropping back to AM) if he feels like he wants the minutes and a nice confidence boost

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Forster

Livramento simeu bednarek Valery

Armstrong Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Broja Tella

Maybe A. Armstrong in the place of Redmond (with Tella dropping back to AM) if he feels like he wants the minutes and a nice confidence boost

Why aren't you playing KWP?

Tino needs a rest now, I wouldn't expect him to be part of this game.

10 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Has anyone got any idea re pubs that sell decent beer?

Just been having a look, there is a 2 Wetherspoons not far from the ground called "The Godfrey Morgan" and "The John Wallace Linton".

Doesn't seem to be many options really...no idea what they'll be like with away fans, I know nothing about them!

"Potters" pub seems to be a more stylish modern sports bar jobby which looks quite nice.

Edited by Saint Garrett

9 hours ago, aintforever said:

I would rest as many as possible to keep them fresh for Newcastle, probably go with:

Forster

KWP, Simeu, Bednarek, Valery

Diallo, S.Armstrong

Redmond, Moi

Tella Broja

Weird that we are contemplating resting McCarthy to keep him fresh for Newcastle when FF is clearly the better of the two.

• Like 2

I wonder if we'll see Caleb Watts? He's not in the B team squad tonight.

Forster

Valery.   Bednarek.   Salisu.   KWP

JWP         Diallo

Watts.                            Elyonoussi

Tella.    Broja. 

If Stuart Armstrong is fit again, maybe he'll get some minutes, but presumably not 90

Personally, I will be amazed if the 9 on the bench Sunday aren't in the starting 11 for this one. That would mean Forster (GK), Valery (RB), Bednarek (CB), KWP (LB), Diallo (CM), Ely (AM), Redmond (AM), Tella (FWD), Long (FWD) - although he might switch Redmond and Tella. 

So the main questions are will it be Stephens or Salisu at CB with Bedders and who will partner Diallo at CM, Romeu or JWP - or, possibly, Caleb Watts?

Subs likely to include Lewis, Broja, Obafemi and whoever from above that doesn't start.

4 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Personally, I will be amazed if the 9 on the bench Sunday aren't in the starting 11 for this one. That would mean Forster (GK), Valery (RB), Bednarek (CB), KWP (LB), Diallo (CM), Ely (AM), Redmond (AM), Tella (FWD), Long (FWD) - although he might switch Redmond and Tella. 

So the main questions are will it be Stephens or Salisu at CB with Bedders and who will partner Diallo at CM, Romeu or JWP - or, possibly, Caleb Watts?

Subs likely to include Lewis, Broja, Obafemi and whoever from above that doesn't start.

I'd imagine that it'll be something like that. I wander if we might see Simeu alongside Bednarek. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I'd imagine that it'll be something like that. I wander if we might see Simeu alongside Bednarek. 

I doubt we will see Simeu on Wednesday, given he played the full 90 tonight. Plus I don't think Ralph would take the risk. He likes a cup run and the team posted above should be enough to win this match (whichever options he goes with).

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I doubt we will see Simeu on Wednesday, given he played the full 90 tonight. Plus I don't think Ralph would take the risk. He likes a cup run and the team posted above should be enough to win this match (whichever options he goes with).

Ah, didn't realise he played tonight. Bednarek plus 1 of the other 2 then. 

Agree though, the 9 subs from yesterday plus 2 others ought to have enough to win. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newport County 0-8 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic