Newport County 0-8 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

I suspect we may give run-outs to a couple of younger players - if not in the starting line-up then on the bench. If Small is fit enough then he could start, but if as has been suggested he is not match-fit then how about Olufunwa? After all, he has been training with the first team. It also makes sense to give a run-out to Simeu in central defende and Watts or Chauke could get an opportunity in central midfield.

Another factor is the risk of cup-tying players who we might want to send out on loan (or sell) like Long and Valery

Thus here is what I think we could see:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Simeu Small? (or Olufunwa)

JWP/Diallo Watts/Chauke

Elyounoussi(?) Redmond

Tella/Obafemi Broja

Also, like with Long and Valery, there may be questions about cup-tying Elyounoussi and/or we might want to give the opportunity for Stu Armstrong to build up some match fitness.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Forgot Obafemi

3 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I suspect we may give run-outs to a couple of younger players - if not in the starting line-up then on the bench. If Small is fit enough then he could start, but if as has been suggested he is not match-fit then how about Olufunwa? After all, he has been training with the first team. It also makes sense to give a run-out to Simeu in central defende and Watts or Chauke could get an opportunity in central midfield.

Another factor is the risk of cup-tying players who we might want to send out on loan (or sell) like Long and Valery

Thus here is what I think we could see:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Simeu Small? (or Olufunwa)

JWP/Diallo Watts/Chauke

Elyounoussi(?) Redmond

Tella/Obafemi Broja

Also, like with Long and Valery, there may be questions about cup-tying Elyounoussi and/or we might want to give the opportunity for Stu Armstrong to build up some match fitness.

No one is going to give a shit if a player is cup-tied for the League Cup or not.

I expect the first team squad players who haven't been playing will get a start but I doubt we'll be bringing Watts/Chauke/Simeu etc into the XI.

I'm guessing something like:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Stephens Perraud

Romeu Diallo

Redmond  Elyounoussi 

Adams  Tella

Edited by benjii

1 hour ago, benjii said:

No one is going to give a shit if a player is cup-tied for the League Cup or not.

I expect the first team squad players who haven't been playing will get a start but I doubt we'll be bringing Watts/Chauke/Simeu etc into the XI.

I'm guessing something like:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Stephens Perraud

Romeu Diallo

Redmond  Elyounoussi 

Adams  Tella

Before I saw this I guessed:

Forster
KWP Bednarek Stephens Perraud (sub Small)
JWP Diallo
Redmond Elyounoussi
Tella Armstrong A/Adams (sub Broja)

We're probably both totally wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

The Redmond/Elyounoussi combo fills me with dread but i suppose Redders will look good against League 2 players.

Hoping Broja features for at least part of the game. 

Redders looks absolutely incredible against even Championship oppo. He tore Swansea to bits in preseason, last year absolutely stuffed Bournemouth in the cup and got three goals in two games against Derby in 18/19. 

I have no doubt if he goes to the championship he'd look incredible and get like Danjuma/Buendia numbers, issue is as soon as he comes up against competent opposition he looks dogshite. It's very odd, I've never seen a player vary with opposition as much as he does.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

Hoping we get a good routine victory tonight. 4-0 to us :) Moi, Redders, Long and Tella to score. My team for tonight would be a mixture of regulars and some who haven't featured much as of yet :- Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Perraud; Elyounoussi, Redmond, JWP, Diallo, Long, Tella.

Hoping to see Broja come on at somepoint too along with Obafemi and Valery. 

COYR :)

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Forster, Walker-Peters, Stephens, Bednarek, Valery, Diallo, Ward-Prowse [c], Redmond, Tella, Broja, Elyounoussi.

Subs: Lewis, Perraud, Salisu, Romeu, Walcott, Long, Obafemi

Lots of changes but I quite like it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newport County vs Saints - Match Thread
1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Forster
KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Valery
Diallo - JWP
Elyounoussi - Tella
Broja - Redmond

Surely Valery on the right, KWP on the left and Tella up front for Redmond? I would assume...

I believe Sky Sports News are showing the goals as they go in tonight if there isn't a stream anywhere. 

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hoping we get a good routine victory tonight. 4-0 to us :) Moi, Redders, Long and Tella to score. My team for tonight would be a mixture of regulars and some who haven't featured much as of yet :- Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Perraud; Elyounoussi, Redmond, JWP, Diallo, Long, Tella.

Hoping to see Broja come on at somepoint too along with Obafemi and Valery. 

COYR :)

Very good prediction

Please post streams asap. Thanks.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

My only worry is no Adams or Armstrong on the bench so we don't have a plan b if we are struggling for whatever reason

We are playing a 4th tier team who have made 6 changes themselves, if Tella, Broja, Long and Obafemi aren't enough of a striker selection to beat them then they really shouldn't be near a squad of a PL or Championship team.

• Like 3

Broja and Tella are going to be a right old handful for Newport.

Still think we could do with a CM, we're one light. Hence why we can't rotate that area too much, we're basically a Romeu and JWP injury away from square pegs. Especially when you consider we let Jankewitz leave and Smallbone is still injured.

• Like 1

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

I may be wrong but I don't think the game will be streamed anywhere. All the international broadcasters are showing just the Arsenal game.

It'll have to be Adam and Dave for tonight. Or Talksport

Bit of Solent I think! Will bring back some of the lower league memories!

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Broja and Tella are going to be a right old handful for Newport.

Still think we could do with a CM, we're one light. Hence why we can't rotate that area too much, we're basically a Romeu and JWP injury away from square pegs. Especially when you consider we let Jankewitz leave and Smallbone is still injured.

I dont see Smallbone as an option really even if fit. He's not a direct replacement for Romeu and that is someone we do not have, that real stopper type. If we don't get someone like him I think we will be vulnerable again. 

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Strong line-up, I would have rested JWP for Saturday tho. COYR

I agree. JWP is a machine but we don't need to be risking him in these games anymore.

Sounds like he just took a nasty tackle.

Edited by Disco Stu

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newport County 0-8 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic