Newport County 0-8 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, simo said:

Did anyone catch what blackmore said about Armstrong possibly not staying at the club or something?

I heard it, but it was not much more than as you describe - he didn't elaborate, just something like "if he is still here" or "if he stays at the club" - was a bit odd.

9 minutes ago, simo said:

Did anyone catch what blackmore said about Armstrong possibly not staying at the club or something?

I think it was taking about Elyounoussi possibly getting a chance while Armstrong is injured if Elyounoussi stays at the club this season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I heard it, but it was not much more than as you describe - he didn't elaborate, just something like "if he is still here" or "if he stays at the club" - was a bit odd.

Sounds like one of those where he knows something he's not supposed to reveal but, in the heat of the commentary, he lets it half slip because he's trying to make a point about Elyounoussi - bit of a Freudian slip moment. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Happy with the draw as it is fairly local to me so will probably go. Here's hoping we erase the memory of the last League Cup tie at Bramall Lane. Christ.

Same here, will travel from Nottingham for this one. Can't be as bad as the Koeman game can it?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, simo said:

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Talking about how well Moi is playing, and how his movement from the right side was like Armstrong. To paraphrase: "Maybe can do a job for us there if Armstrong is having trouble staying at the club."

Maybe a throwaway comment, but a concerning thing to hear from someone like Blackmore.

As I posted mid-game.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I think it was taking about Elyounoussi possibly getting a chance while Armstrong is injured if Elyounoussi stays at the club this season.

That's how I heard it. Maybe someone can find the clip of what he actually said.

I know it was only against Newport but 8-0 is very impressive, especially as we made 9 changes ourselves (as I predicted, just got Long/Broja wrong).

Really pleased to see: Moi bag a hat-trick (but don't think any would have gone in against any prem keeper bar, probably, Macca) and put in a decent performance with a couple of nice assists; Broja get off the mark with a brace (2nd was very well taken) on his debut; Tella, Redders and KWP to also get off the mark for the season; Fraser keep another clean sheet (not that he had a save to make); KWP showing (again) that he can put a shift in at LB.

So that's 5 of our FWDs/AMs on the scoresheet in the first 3 matches, with another 'making' the own goal on Sunday (which I would have credited him with). It also sounded like Valery had a fairly decent match as well, so we should now be well stocked/covered in the FB positions. Interesting that Walcott replaced JWP in CM. Don't really ever see him doing that in the league; clearly Romeu and JWP first choice with Diallo, Stuey, Smallbone and the Gorilla as back-up. So should be alright there as well. Only leaves CB and GK as worries; that said, I have liked the look of Jack Stephens and Salisu thus far (apart from an error each at Goodison, but all CBs make them). And GK is only a worry for me as Ralph won't make FF his 1st choice.

Draw for next round not too bad. Would have liked a home tie, but it could have been a lot worse. Certainly winnable, probably even with the same starting 11.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bah, not available in my country. Thanks though, I appreciate it!

Don’t worry, I’m sure the media team are already working on putting the commemorative DVD of the game together! 😜

Decent win and good for the confidence. We definitely look like we have more strength in depth this season. Looking forward to the Newcastle game now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Must admit I was a bit concerned about Moi being in the starting 11 but he’s proved me wrong. Happy to say that if we find ourselves playing another league 2 second string team then I’m more than happy for him to start.

That's very good of you - maybe you should let Ralph know?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Just seen the highlights, did they get a pub keeper in for this one?

Felt a bit sorry for him, was behind his goal in the first half and he looked like he'd won a fans competition to get a game, obviously great to win and see a record result but I think Newport made some changes and never believed they could compete, or perhaps our early goal had that affect. 

Considering our first three league away games are not great for results / travel was nice to have this one and take a decent following. 

9 hours ago, jasonb said:

From the BBC... 

So as things stand, Southampton are on their way to the biggest away win in their history.

Saints have won 6-0 four times, at Carlisle in 1977 in the Second Division, against Wolves in 2007 in the Championship, against Oldham in League One in 2011 and against MK Dons in this competition in 2015.

9 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I know, what was I thinking with only 5! 

34F9225F-43F8-4227-8353-763BE1D17EF7.jpeg

I must be one of a small bound of fans that was in attendance at all of those 6-0 away wins, as there certainly weren’t many Saints fans at Carlisle, so feel lucky enough to have been their to see us beat that record last night.

• Like 2

For basically a second team that was good: a Newport fan BTL elsewhere was commenting on our speed and off the ball running. Everybody thinks they can get a place in the first 11 and are making the effort to be there: long may it continue. I don't think we'll be so worried by injuries this season either with that backup.

41 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Still more chance of him scoring than Long

The tone of this is so utterly Mail. Clearly written by someone not at the match, full of errors and expressing amazement that we won a game easily, when it really wasn't that unexpected against L2 opponents. Of course the 9-0 losses have to be mentioned as everyone knows we normally lose 9-0 every week. And we are such a little club with no ambition, we sell all our best players to clubs where they should be and we never warrant comment except, as on Sunday, when we disgracefully fail to lose 9-0 to the magnificent Manure 

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

The tone of this is so utterly Mail. Clearly written by someone not at the match, full of errors and expressing amazement that we won a game easily, when it really wasn't that unexpected against L2 opponents. Of course the 9-0 losses have to be mentioned as everyone knows we normally lose 9-0 every week. And we are such a little club with no ambition, we sell all our best players to clubs where they should be and we never warrant comment except, as on Sunday, when we disgracefully fail to lose 9-0 to the magnificent Manure 

Ah but you know after Sunday we will get tagged as a team of Norman Hunters and Chopper Harris’s because of the way we roughed up United (regardless of the fact that Pogba committed a foul on Adam’s that was straight out of the 1970’s in its intent).

It’s amazing that there have been any match reports from last nights games seeing as just about every Footie Journo was seemingly spewing out miles of column inches about Kane.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Don’t worry, I’m sure the media team are already working on putting the commemorative DVD of the game together! 😜

Called 'Goals on Parade', tag line 'Saints Ram P'Raid Newport', with a Long sung theme tune about the feats at Rodney Parade sung to the tune of Raspberry Beret.

'El Boy take the piss out of Rodney.

Edited by Fan The Flames

You can only play what's in front of you, and Saints showed their class. I think Newport were a bit overawed and it was good to see Saints being ruthless for once.

Absolutely obvious that there is more competition for places now. KWP, Redmond, Elyounoussi and Diallo were excellent.  Clearly up for the challenge and knocking at the door now.

Valery seemed to get stronger as the game went on, and tracked back well when they had a rare attack. He's really bulked up and had a good attitude. Good to see 

Forster and Walcot didn't have good games. I can't see McCarthy being replaced on that performance.

Good turnout from Saints fans and in good voice. However was it really necessary to have a go at their fans and ground. Newport are a club that has only just clawed it's way back into the league from oblivion. They had a lot of kids there just excited about seeing a Prem team. Be nice to think we could show a bit more class sometimes.

• Like 3