Man City 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

2 hours ago, WestMidSaint said:

I'm going to drive up from Birmingham with the kids. Can anyone advise whether I should fight the traffic and book a local car park or if there's an easy train/park & ride option on the way up?

I parked at Eccles a few years back and took the tram.  It was about 45 mins on the tram if I remember correctly, but took the hassle out of driving and the car park was only a few quid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichTea said:

I parked at Eccles a few years back and took the tram.  It was about 45 mins on the tram if I remember correctly, but took the hassle out of driving and the car park was only a few quid.

We usually park at Altrincham and take the metro from there. It is easy to get to from the M6

Prior to the defensive performance vs west ham game, i would have said this was a case of letting the molestation begin... but now I am not so sure.

I could see this going two ways, one being where go full yolo and get hit for 5 (regardless of however many we score), or we try to follow the mould of the 1-0 win, take our chances and keep it tight whilst strangling their midfield. They don't really have a striker so i would say we can get a point if we setup right.

Think we should definitely be playing livramento and KWP on the same side for this one! Their pace plus perraud and salisu will give us the ability to carry a threat going forward and mitigate the risk on the counter.

We should definitely employ the 4-1-4-1 again. Learn our lesson from last season that if we try and take them on its not going to end well. Not interested in glowing words from Pep, its all about picking up points.

The only changes I would make from Saturday are Adams for Armstrong (better point man to get us up the pitch and Armstrong can be a late impact sub if we're still in the game with 20 mins to go) and either S Armstrong (if fit) or Tella in for Redmond

We should definitely use that 352 we changed to against utd.. worked a treat vs utd changed the game 

McCarthy 

Bed Stephens salisu 

Livramento                              Perraud

Jwp romeau. Diallo/stu

Armstrong    Broja 

• Like 1

Palace beat them at their place, so it is possible, but we have to be extremely fluent and efficient on the break and then hope they have an off day in front of goal. If you don't score on those few breakaways, you have no chance. Time to give Tella another chance perhaps?

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Time to unleash Broja our secret weapon that they'll know little about.

They knew enough about a 15yo in our Academy to poach him, so I don't think they (or any PL side) will be bamboozled by a full Intl who played in the Eredivisie last season!

But agree, could be a good option if we go one up front again.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

They knew enough about a 15yo in our Academy to poach him, so I don't think they (or any PL side) will be bamboozled by a full Intl who played in the Eredivisie last season!

But agree, could be a good option if we go one up front again.

If we go one up front it surely has to be Broja because he is big, strong and quick which will mean he'll prove a handful for their defenders and keep them honest. We can pump long balls forward (which I'm sure we'll be forced to do) knowing that he has a chance of getting on the end of them. Don't think any of our other forwards offer that - maybe Adams but he's very poor in the air.

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Hoping Pep puts out his best 11 tonight, and they get a massive run around. 

His squad is incredible, but a whole load of changes at the w/end will help us. 

A knock for Jack wouldn't go amiss........

Jack? Are we referring to other teams players by first names now?

If so then I'd rather Kevin or Ruben were injured than Jack.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I'm sure Hassenhuttl (note not used first name) will ask his old pals at Leipzig to injure a few for us 

20210915_185425.jpg

This is a good game to get KWP and Livramento together on the same side. What do we have to lose?

GK

KWP   Stephens   Salisu  Perraud

Romeu         JWP

Livramento                      Djenapo

Armstrong    Broja

Djenapo/Redmond... not sure it matters... but would switch out for S. Armstrong if fit.

Adams, Tella, Diallo - likely impact subs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Agree, personally think that having Grealish in their team would be a bonus for us, instead of all their gifted players. Also he's easy to wind up (JWP/Stephens please note). Sadly I would imagine KDB will be back in the team by then.

3 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Hoping Pep puts out his best 11 tonight, and they get a massive run around. 

His squad is incredible, but a whole load of changes at the w/end will help us. 

A knock for Jack wouldn't go amiss........

Really doubt their game tonight will have any impact whatsoever on Saturday, we just need to be 100% on our game and hope they’re20% or so of their game. 

40 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm sure Hassenhuttl (note not used first name) will ask his old pals at Leipzig to injure a few for us 

20210915_185425.jpg

I reckon it's ok to use first names for people at the club you support so you could have just gone with Ralph there mate.

However once you committed to the surname I was disappointed to see you spell his name incorrectly while also ignoring the umlaut. A proper fan would have made the effort and had him down as Hasenhüttl.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

"We scored 16 goals in the last three games here. I'd like more people to come on Saturday. We will be tired. Southampton are so dangerous. I invite all our people to come 3pm to watch our game."

🤣  That's right Pep, especially Redmond.

He always does this, and praises us after we gift them 5 goals. For me it's not a case of if we'll lose just by how much 

20210916_051815.jpg

2 hours ago, JRM said:

He always does this, and praises us after we gift them 5 goals. For me it's not a case of if we'll lose just by how much 

20210916_051815.jpg

Maybe he means dangerous as in the way I play golf / snooker / pool. I'm mostly poor with but can be brilliant in the odd brain fart moment, this can really mess with a superior opponents head. So, we have Pep psched! 

10 hours ago, adriansfc said:

City really could have had 8 or 9 tonight against a far better side than us. 

Have to be at our best, keeper included to avoid getting embarrassed. Can see us going with another very defensive approach and maybe losing 2-0. Have a feeling Ralph would take that. 

I'm sure most people would.

44 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Yep. It's a shame but we've taken such beatings it is a relief to come away vaguely competitive. We drew at Chelsea last season but that's a different challenge now. 

Really not looking forward to any of the big club away games this season. Not including Arsenal and Spurs, I think we could potentially get somewhere there. Least we've already done Everton and Newcastle where we're always rubbish. 

The main improvement I want to see is the pathetic losses at west brom, leeds etc. I don't want to see us easily beaten in any of those. 

Long gone are the days under Poch and Koeman, where we went into every game thinking we could get something. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Long gone are the days under Poch and Koeman, where we went into every game thinking we could get something. 

It's true that our team isn't as good as it was, but we've still had some good recent results, including drawing with the current European Champions twice last season. Man City away is probably the most difficult game this season and I expect us to lose, but nothing is impossible - we actually beat them only 18 months ago. 

Let's not (completely) write off our chances just yet. We can still hope for loads of missed City chances, multiple slices of luck, dodgy refereeing decisions in our favour and a moment of individual brilliance from Redmond which has Pep salivating in the post match interview. 

Keep it close for 60 minutes and anything could happen .......  

WE haven't had a win yet and we may get a beating at City and the cry babies may be out in force calling for the manager's head. Oh dear, the reality is we have a stronger club than last year, and a younger one. The challenge is not City, the challenge is the matches with Watford, Brentford, Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich oh and Arsenal. Bedwetters, you can keep your sheets dry whatever the result this week. 

• Like 7

Listening to the presser it sounds as if there might be a few changes to the team. He also said that just because a player gives a good performance one week doesn't necessarily mean he will start the next, as each opposition has different challenges that need different attributes from our team. - Exactly as it should be. The top teams can afford the luxury of just playing their game. Smaller teams, such as ourselves, need to switch shape/personnel depending on who we are playing, injuries, etc. This is why it is better to have a fuller, decent, squad rather than 11 definite starters.

Additionally, Ralph wouldn't be drawn on the formation he intends to start with. From what he said I don't think it will be the 4-1-4-1 of last week. He also alluded to the fact that he may well change formation (maybe more than once) throughout the game. It wouldn't surprise me if we started with a 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1:

------------------McCarthy--------------

KWP-----Stephens-----Salisu-----Perraud

------JWP--------Romeu-------Diallo-----

------------------Moi---------------------

----------Adams---------Armstrong------

14 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Listening to the presser it sounds as if there might be a few changes to the team. He also said that just because a player gives a good performance one week doesn't necessarily mean he will start the next, as each opposition has different challenges that need different attributes from our team. - Exactly as it should be. The top teams can afford the luxury of just playing their game. Smaller teams, such as ourselves, need to switch shape/personnel depending on who we are playing, injuries, etc. This is why it is better to have a fuller, decent, squad rather than 11 definite starters.

Additionally, Ralph wouldn't be drawn on the formation he intends to start with. From what he said I don't think it will be the 4-1-4-1 of last week. He also alluded to the fact that he may well change formation (maybe more than once) throughout the game. It wouldn't surprise me if we started with a 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1:

------------------McCarthy--------------

KWP-----Stephens-----Salisu-----Perraud

------JWP--------Romeu-------Diallo-----

------------------Moi---------------------

----------Adams---------Armstrong------

I don't see us dropping Livramento just yet though

47 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I don't see us dropping Livramento just yet though

Probably not. I guess whichever of him and KWP starts this match the other will start in the cup on Tuesday. Or maybe both will start that match with KWP at LB again.

I honestly don't see Ralph playing Tino as wide midfield player though (as much as many would like to see it). We have 6 other options for those 2 positions (without counting Smallbone) so don't see him using one of his RBs there. That said, for this match, I would probably go with a 4-4-2 with Tino and Moussa ahead of KWP and Perraud on the flanks.

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Ralph just confirmed Theo and Stuey still missing. Sounds like Stuey is a couple of weeks away tops. No timeframe on Theo’s return but he said last week it was a minor injury.

Armstrong has been "a couple of weeks away" for over a month now. Hopefully it turns out to be true this time around.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Albert said:

I’m really concerned that this one could fuck up McCarthys current confidence following his first clean sheet in donkeys.

There is a good argument for playing Forster in this game. We know he's leaving at the end of the season so put him in between the sticks and won't do our long term player's confidence any harm. 😁

STATS CORNER

Stats for the game - Every time I do these it seems to be grim reading, but here goes. 

Overall record (head to head) 

Man City won 38

Drawn 25

Saints won 32

Now Recent Away Record - We have picked up 1 point in the last 12 visits to Man City. That is dismal! 😬 

The last 12

Man City won - 11

Drawn - 1 (2016/17)

Saints won 0

The 12 before this are a completely different story, but they were a completely different Man City team/club. 

Man City won - 2

Drawn - 4 

Saints won - 6 

Out of these 6 wins there was a back to back, the very last ever game at Maine Road 0-1 (2002/2003) and the first for Saints at the City of Manchester Stadium 1-3 (2003/2004) I was at both of these 2 games and Saturday will be my first visit since the last win at Man City, but Everton was my first visit since Kevin Davies scored that wonder goal in 1997, so don’t get your hopes up! 

Also I was thinking 🤔 money 💰 it really does help! 

Hopefully we can keep it down to 0-3. Reading between Ralph's lines we'll see much the same team as last week. KWP will sit and fume as is becoming usual these days, so would I! 

Although he was almost categorical about having too many 10's to consider Livramento as a 10, two of his 10's are non-options at the moment through longish term injuries? 

Looks like he'd rather piss off Kyle than Redmond or Djenepo then. Weird priorities.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

25 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Hopefully we can keep it down to 0-3. Reading between Ralph's lines we'll see much the same team as last week. KWP will sit and fume as is becoming usual these days, so would I! 

Although he was almost categorical about having too many 10's to consider Livramento as a 10, two of his 10's are non-options at the moment through longish term injuries? 

Looks like he'd rather piss off Kyle than Redmond or Djenepo then. Weird priorities.

Couldn't agree more.  Every time Ralph builds up his credibility with supporters and wins us over a bit there seems to be a "head in the sand" decision, which leaves many of us doubting his judgement.   In this case it's not playing KWP, at RB and Livramento ahead of him.     Judged on last week Perraud looks likely to do well at LB.     Come on Ralph - you've got one of the best RB's in the country - if you're going to sacrifice anyone let it be Redmond, or Theo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dellman said:

WE haven't had a win yet and we may get a beating at City and the cry babies may be out in force calling for the manager's head. Oh dear, the reality is we have a stronger club than last year, and a younger one. The challenge is not City, the challenge is the matches with Watford, Brentford, Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich oh and Arsenal. Bedwetters, you can keep your sheets dry whatever the result this week. 

Being apprehensive doesn’t make you a bed wetter or a cry baby. We have 3 points from 4 games, tomorrow it will probably be 3 points from 5. We have already played Newcastle and rescued a point from a game we should have had 3. Probably should have had a point against Everton. If your aspiration is to beat those teams you listed, twice, (too late for Newcastle), then it will still be a tricky season. No one expects anything from City, but we do need to beat wolves. There are grounds for optimism , but as everyone knows if you lose the winning habit, it becomes more and more difficult 

Edited by Toussaint

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What a weird way of looking at it.

I would hope, as a professional, Kyle wouldn't be sat around fuming but would relish the challenge and put more effort in during training to make the manager pick him ahead instead of the alternative. In any event, it is a long season. Kyle will get plenty of playing time during it. And now he knows, when it comes, he has to keep on top of his game to retain his place in the team. Just as Tino has been doing these past few weeks.

As for playing a FB as a 10 when we have 6/7 of them on our books anyway - had Ralph done that before it came the latest craze for posters on here to go on about he would probably have been berated for doing it (by the same people berating him now for not doing so). 

As I said in an earlier post, this is one of the few matches I would be tempted to play Tino ahead or KWP on the right, with Moussa ahead of Perraud on the left - just so they can help out the respective full backs. That said, to do so would mean playing a flat 4-4-2 and would diminish our already limited attacking options, enticing City even more to camp out in our half - and we all know how that will end! Plus City don't really overload the wing positions, they will just find the space inside.

Then we have to take into account the fact that we now have 3 matches in 8 days. We would all like to have another decent cup run. Wouldn't it be wiser to keep one of Tino/KWP fresh for Tuesday? Especially as most are expecting us to lose tomorrow no matter what we do. I mean, even you are hoping we only lose by 3!

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic