Koeman sacked

Koolman

8 minutes ago, Koolman said:

Would you want him back in place of RH?

I like Ralph and think he has done very well at times. However the seasons under Koeman were the best we had in recent history. Koeman also works best when there’s no pressure to perform, like with us and at Feyenoord. To answer the question, yes I would like Koeman back.

I'd read he was entitled to a lot of compensation, if his contract was terminated this early, connected to him buying out his own national contract. They must have found £12 million or so down the sofa to pay him off.

I think he'd be a reluctant manager, looking for better managerial options if he were to come back. Which I don't think he will.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

15 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I like Ralph and think he has done very well at times. However the seasons under Koeman were the best we had in recent history. Koeman also works best when there’s no pressure to perform, like with us and at Feyenoord. To answer the question, yes I would like Koeman back.

He also had the best squad in our most recent history to play with.

don t think he d do anything with this group.

Stick with Ralph

• Like 3

Koeman falls into the same category as Alan Ball for me; was great for us, and disappointed when they left (both of which were avoidable in my book) but overall a fairly chequered if not poor managerial record which didn’t work out for him when he had the big opportunities.

Can’t see it happening or working if he came back. 

Couple of things from his time with us, was Erwin the brains behind it ? And let’s not forget the run that lead to rumours (on here anyway) that he was a game or so from the sack, and several calling for it, which was then turned around with a 2-0 win to Watford (and good run to the end of e season). 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Stick with Ralph

Agree with the fact he had a very good squad. The summer he joined us, we had just sold Lambert, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren and Chambers. Rodriquez had a bad injury and Schneiderlin was upset about not being aloud to leave. Koeman had a lot of rebuilding to do when he came in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Stick with Ralph

Er, that was not the situation he joined. He built a team from the wreckage of "that" Summer.

I don't think he should come back but he did a terrific job with us. Much like Adkins, what he has (not) achieved since he left is absolutely irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Feel sorry for him, Barca have financially been in a real mess for years and COVID was the straw that broke the camels back. He had had to cope with losing a host of stars and bringing the youngsters through earlier than he would have wanted. That said the results have still been shocking with the quality Barca have.

No i wouldn't want him back at Saints and i'm quite glad he's gone from Barca. Good luck to the poor sod who replaces him though!

• Like 2

I wouldn't have him back. 

He's more of a manager than he is a coach - which was largely fine when we had a team of VVD, Fonte, Toby, Clyne, Morgan, Wanyama, Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Bertrand. 

The squad is significantly weaker now. It wouldn't be a match for a manager of his kind. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think he should come back but he did a terrific job with us. Much like Adkins, what he has (not) achieved since he left is absolutely irrelevant.

What he's done since he left us is relevant to the question of whether we'd want him back. He was great here, but he's been shit since he left us, so I wouldn't want him back. 

He was also blessed with a great squad of players whilst he was here. He wouldn't get a tune out of this lot. 

• Like 1

Just now, bangkoksaint said:

I heard on TalkSPORT the other day that Barca’s wage bill has plummeted from something like £680M to £85M……….if that’s true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then it’s staggering and it’s no wonder they’ve struggled. 

That wouldn't surprise me. They've lost Messi, Griezman and Suarez and replaced with Depay and other mediocre players. They've saved a fortune but are now a very average team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I heard on TalkSPORT the other day that Barca’s wage bill has plummeted from something like £680M to £85M……….if that’s true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then it’s staggering and it’s no wonder they’ve struggled. 

Yes they are in real trouble. Not sure what barca expect results wise. If xavi does take over not sure he would even get them to the champs league. Any manager going there is on a hiding to nothing. Barca fans need to be realistic.

Sack Ralph, who has finally built the squad he wanted after 3 years, and replace him with Koeman, who will undo all that work, sign some of his favourites (what's Cuco up to these days?)on big contracts and then bugger off again as soon as a bigger club comes sniffing around?

No, absolutely not. Ridiculous idea. If it weren't for the fact that he had managed us before, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sack Ralph, who has finally built the squad he wanted after 3 years, and replace him with Koeman, who will undo all that work, sign some of his favourites (what's Cuco up to these days?)on big contracts and then bugger off again as soon as a bigger club comes sniffing around?

No, absolutely not. Ridiculous idea. If it weren't for the fact that he had managed us before, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

We also don't have money for him to sign anyone so he'd be largely stuck with the bulk of the players from this squad for a long time.

There's no way he'd come back here either. He's just managed the biggest club in the world, he's not going to pitch up at a team near the bottom of a league with no money.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I agree it won't happen, but that's a seriously one sided view of Koeman. You mention signing Cuco but not Van Dijk, Tadic, Bertrand, Mane.

Also, are you saying we should keep Ralph because he has finally built the squad he wanted? That squad isn't exactly setting the world on fire is it?

I think he will have to rebuild his career again - not sure he will ever get a top top job for the Big 6 or for clubs like Bayern/PSG etc

I'm very much Ralph in for now, but if things suddenly turned sour in the next 15 games, or if Ralph's stint here is done with us in let's say 2024, then I'd very much like Koeman to be in consideration again.

I think if he doesn't get the Dutch job again, he'll have to rebuild at clubs like Roma/Lazio/Lyon/Marseille etc - the Europa League level sorts of teams which I think would still be interested in him. 

So yeah, in summary, not now but I wouldn't shut the door if he ever wanted to come back here because he gave us 2 excellent years which I will look back with fondly.

14 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I agree it won't happen, but that's a seriously one sided view of Koeman. You mention signing Cuco but not Van Dijk, Tadic, Bertrand, Mane.

Also, are you saying we should keep Ralph because he has finally built the squad he wanted? That squad isn't exactly setting the world on fire is it?

Because we wouldn't have the finances to sign those kind of players again if he came back. He was able to make those signings because of the money we raised from selling Lallana, Lovren, Lambert and Chambers that summer. If he came back he would be operating on a shoestring budget and I don't think he is the right kind of manager for that sort of project.

Ralph has built this squad to play the way he wants to play, and I don't believe for a second that Koeman would be able to get more out of them than he can. 

As someone else has already said, it's extremely unlikely he would come back, and if the board are seriously thinking about replacing Ralph, I very much doubt they would even give Koeman a second thought anyway.

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Because we wouldn't have the finances to sign those kind of players again if he came back. He was able to make those signings because of the money we raised from selling Lallana, Lovren, Lambert and Chambers that summer. If he came back he would be operating on a shoestring budget and I don't think he is the right kind of manager for that sort of project.

Ralph has built this squad to play the way he wants to play, and I don't believe for a second that Koeman would be able to get more out of them than he can. 

As someone else has already said, it's extremely unlikely he would come back, and if the board are seriously thinking about replacing Ralph, I very much doubt they would even give Koeman a second thought anyway.

I agree - bit of a non subject really. I just felt you should give the man credit where it was due. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Saints under RK. You would think the board must be seriously considering replacing Ralph. I would expect them to already have the replacement lined up. All businesses plan for future scenarios, replacing the manager is one that would be planned for and discussed on a regular basis. But maybe I'm just seriously deluded in thinking that!

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If he hadn't managed us before, we'd be beside ourselves at the prospect of having the ex-Barcelona, Ajax, Benfica and Eindhoven manager in charge of us.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Koeman falls into the same category as Alan Ball for me; was great for us, and disappointed when they left (both of which were avoidable in my book) but overall a fairly chequered if not poor managerial record which didn’t work out for him when he had the big opportunities.

Can’t see it happening or working if he came back. 

Couple of things from his time with us, was Erwin the brains behind it ? And let’s not forget the run that lead to rumours (on here anyway) that he was a game or so from the sack, and several calling for it, which was then turned around with a 2-0 win to Watford (and good run to the end of e season). 

I have many Dutch friends, and they all said Erwin is the tactical brains of the Brothers, Ronald isn't so smart and is just a mouthpiece to convey the coaches instructions to the players, who are not going to question him much thanks to his glittering CV. Erwin had a good career just wasn't as razzle dazzle as Ronalds, Erwin was "oh its only the other one".

Strange how Erwin didn't seem spend much time at Everton and doesn't appear to have worked with him since..........coincidence?

• Like 2

I think Koeman might go into semi retirement now. He's made his money, managed his two dream teams (Holland and Barcelona), and seems increasingly keen on playing golf and simply enjoying life. 

He could return if the Dutch national job becomes available again down the line.

He was a great manager for us. The best we've had in the PL era. Cold as a dead fish and couldn't give two shits about the club, but there's no denying the job he did. 

• Like 1

Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Right bloke, right time before. Totally wrong now.  I read somewhere that his whole managerial career was about one thing, getting to manage Barca, so I doubt he’d want it anyway. Will probably end up managing Holland again, rather than going back into club management 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I agree - bit of a non subject really. I just felt you should give the man credit where it was due. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Saints under RK. You would think the board must be seriously considering replacing Ralph. I would expect them to already have the replacement lined up. All businesses plan for future scenarios, replacing the manager is one that would be planned for and discussed on a regular basis. But maybe I'm just seriously deluded in thinking that!

Oh I absolutely do credit him for what he did with us previously, because those two seasons were among the best I've ever experienced as a Saints fan. It was thanks to his management that we qualified for the Europa League and I was able to go and watch us play at the San Siro, and for that I will be forever grateful.

But like Ducky says, right man at the right time, but that ship has sailed now. I cherish the memories but I can't imagine him being anywhere near as successful second time round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Right bloke, right time before. Totally wrong now.  I read somewhere that his whole managerial career was about one thing, getting to manage Barca, so I doubt he’d want it anyway. Will probably end up managing Holland again, rather than going back into club management 

Agree with this and what Sheaf says. It would be really interesting to have a discussion on here about who people think would be an ideal replacement for Ralph given our position, budget, constraints etc. Problem is, people get polarised very quickly and it all degenerates into arguing and insults. A problem with most footie forums I would guess. So out of interest, if you were doing the scenario planning for Saints replacing Ralph, which candidates do you think would be a good fit and why?

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I have many Dutch friends, and they all said Erwin is the tactical brains of the Brothers, Ronald isn't so smart and is just a mouthpiece to convey the coaches instructions to the players, who are not going to question him much thanks to his glittering CV. Erwin had a good career just wasn't as razzle dazzle as Ronalds, Erwin was "oh its only the other one".

Strange how Erwin didn't seem spend much time at Everton and doesn't appear to have worked with him since..........coincidence?

Probably yes.

He didn't work with him much before Saints either.

Koeman's success before Saints (eg Feyenoord) did not involve Erwin.

He did a great job for us, came in to a right mess with us having sold most of the first 11 and really steadied the ship. Don’t think he could have got much more out of us and the squads he had were much better than what Ralph has to work with. With Koeman now we’d be in the same relegation battle as we are but he’d be 100x more negative about the situation 

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nope. Could see him at Newcastle though if the money was right for him.

Yep this was my first thought. They'll want a big name manager to impress the fans and he's about as big a name as they can attract right now I'd say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I’d heard/read the same re Erwin.

I appreciate the job that he did here but I lost all respect for him the day that he moved to WARCHEST after previously slating players that move for the money ahead of loyalty on Sky tv.

I don't for a moment think that he would come back here on the wages that we could offer him plus he would divide the fans and would have to be an instant success,  I suspect that he burned all his bridges with the likes of Semmens and Steele anyway.

• Like 1

Some plum on Twitter is plugging the idea that he should come back.

Yes he was our most successful manager but look at the money that came in from the summer he arrived, even the one after.

The calibre of players too was infinitely better then than they are now. Would he turn Djenepo into the next Mané? No. Would he turn McCarthy into a brick shit house that stopped anything coming his way? No.

Rather have Sammy Lee back.