Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Good signing ABK.

Assuming that’s our CB shopping done now then.

CM and ST now. Throwing all our eggs into the youngster bracket is a risk. But if we sign a midfielder and a striker with a bit of leadership and experience then that could make all the difference.

I'm not entirely sure we'll be doing that.  Although I do remember Ralph talking about signing some players with a bit more experience... Unless he meant "not a teenager".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm not entirely sure we'll be doing that.  Although I do remember Ralph talking about signing some players with a bit more experience... Unless he meant "not a teenager".

My take on that is that he was referring to players who had top level experience and 'could help us now', rather than being older in age terms.

ABK and potentially Svanberg tick those boxes.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Good signing ABK.

Assuming that’s our CB shopping done now then.

CM and ST now. Throwing all our eggs into the youngster bracket is a risk. But if we sign a midfielder and a striker with a bit of leadership and experience then that could make all the difference.

Sounds a promising player, but whether it is right for us to go with inexperience will soon to known.

I've a big fear of Danso MKII if left to sink without some more experienced heads around him.

2 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

I think today has shown how deals can be kept quiet if they want to. 

I only knew due to work (not for the club). So I'll never know who it is for sure, could have called the 2 last week. If they sign last week of August I'm on holiday sorry! In for the last few days though 😁

21 minutes ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

It will be intersting how brave we are when Tino is fit.  That could be Bazunu - 20, Tino - 19, ABK - 20, Sali - 23, KWP - 25 or Perraud 24.  Interestingly many of the Liverpool team are 30+ now including Salah, Thiago, Van Dijk, Henderson, Milner and Mane who's now going. 

Very happy with that prospect. Although an experienced (so to speak) CB would be useful as think Bednarek will go, Stephens is 4th best choice at best and Lyanco still has alot to prove. As he's not yet been announced I'm hopeful Tarkowski might sign (but I know its 95% Everton!!!). But someone of his ilk is probably required.

• Like 1

Anyone who has played a full season in a top European league is experienced enough for a club like ours. The only players with significantly more experience that we can afford will already have been proven not good enough, or we wouldn't be able to afford them.

• Like 2

Is that it for CB, or could we potentially lose Bednarek and Stephens which would give us room for one more addition there?

Lyanco probably stays by default as will be hard to shift as his wages are probably fsr in excess of the value any buyer would see in him. Hopefully he is happy to be a backup.

26 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

As he's not yet been announced I'm hopeful Tarkowski might sign (but I know its 95% Everton!!!). But someone of his ilk is probably required.

stock-vector-elk-soccer-mascot-great-for

Oh wait, you said ilk... 🙂

I imagine we're actively pursuing another CB. Any of Salisu, Bednarak or Stephens could be on their way. If Simeu can make the step up next season, then great. If not, then we may need another signing. The pathway means we'd be selling in the future too, so Simeu can still progress here, even if it takes a bit longer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SupersonicSaint said:

For the last four years, we've have had 1 (one) wide midfielder at the club better than merely competent. Surely that has to be more of a priority for the club?

This isn't to say I'm not pleased with the business so far.

I completely agree with that, midfield is such an important part, we need players who can help us transition quickly from defense into attack and i m not whether any of our current midfielders can do that efficiently even JWP, and its one of the reasons why we have struggled so much to attack in last few years

• Like 2

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought that the other day actually!

Svanberg next...? Leaving the big $$ for the attackers! 

How refreshing is it to have a bit of money though, we're able to act on these improvements without figuring out who we have to sell first.

Yeah it looks like we are starting from the back and adding at least one player in each position through the spine of the team..

it’s the strikers and number 10 we really need to get right though we need major surgery there 

6 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

For the last four years, we've have had 1 (one) wide midfielder at the club better than merely competent. Surely that has to be more of a priority for the club?

This isn't to say I'm not pleased with the business so far.

For the last two seasons we've conceded 60+ goals, been amongst the most conceded in the league. I'm glad they've made keeper and defense the priority. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

For the last two seasons we've conceded 60+ goals, been amongst the most conceded in the league. I'm glad they've made keeper and defense the priority. 

We defend as a team though, and a huge issue for us is that we don't carry enough threat. Improvements in attack will reduce the pressure on our defence.

We also need to be wary of blocking simeu. 

CAM and striker should be the priorities now I think. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah it looks like we are starting from the back and adding at least one player in each position through the spine of the team..

it’s the strikers and number 10 we really need to get right though we need major surgery there 

I’m cautious as we could be spending the JWP money up front.

Totally agree we need a TOP striker and not one from the leagues below etc.

IMHO the season hinges on a striker getting  us 12+ goals to at least secure our status in this league.

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I’m cautious as we could be spending the JWP money up front.

Totally agree we need a TOP striker and not one from the leagues below etc.

IMHO the season hinges on a striker getting  us 12+ goals to at least secure our status in this league.

If we are really giving up on broja, I think Liam delap stands out a mile and we really should try and get this done, big powerful goal scorer looks a bit James Beattie like in a way 

15-20m and a 50-60m buyback I can’t see why city would say no. Haaland totally blocks his pathway and they also signed alvaraz 

We should be all over this one 

• Like 4

Good so far but feel we need another "experienced" centre back  Phil Jones? Tarkowski someone in this mould can lead. 

Cover for Livramento I would loan somebody in for this.  Brandon Williams or some championship highly rated player. 

Understudy to Romeu someone who is younger and has experience would be a bonus. Someone who is a unit and good passer of the ball. 

A creative maestro similar to what we had with Tadic. 

A Striker or maybe two 

Regarding the strikers one needs to be a good solid investment. 

The other I would try and loan Danny Ings. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

If we are really giving up on broja, I think Liam delap stands out a mile and we really should try and get this done, big powerful goal scorer looks a bit James Beattie like in a way 

This is a possible, I think.  Might also depend who we want more out of him & Lavia. (Can only get 1 loan from the same club).

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure why people still think we're going to sign proven 30 year old players from the premier league on big wages. Simply not going to happen IMO.

The absolute desperation to sign players from a team that was regularly struggling over the last few years and eventually ended up relegated is bizarre. If we go down this year and PL teams came in for any of our experienced players after our struggles they would be ridiculed massively on here. But nope, Tarkowski and Mee are the answer. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Good so far but feel we need another "experienced" centre back  Phil Jones? Tarkowski someone in this mould can lead. 

Cover for Livramento I would loan somebody in for this.  Brandon Williams or some championship highly rated player. 

Understudy to Romeu someone who is younger and has experience would be a bonus. Someone who is a unit and good passer of the ball. 

A creative maestro similar to what we had with Tadic. 

A Striker or maybe two 

Regarding the strikers one needs to be a good solid investment. 

The other I would try and loan Danny Ings. 

What colour is the sky in your world?

Also, what's the obsession with Williams? He's awful. Norwich fans don't seem to rate him and my work colleague who supports United says he doesn't even look that great in their youth team.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

The absolute desperation to sign players from a team that was regularly struggling over the last few years and eventually ended up relegated is bizarre. If we go down this year and PL teams came in for any of our experienced players after our struggles they would be ridiculed massively on here. But nope, Tarkowski and Mee are the answer. 

I think both Mee and Tarkowski are decent solid defenders who could have done a short term job for us, a steady hand at the back if you like. Tarkowski can't be too bad, as he has been coveted by the likes of Everton and West Ham this window already. 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think both Mee and Tarkowski are decent solid defenders who could have done a short term job for us, a steady hand at the back if you like. Tarkowski can't be too bad, as he has been coveted by the likes of Everton and West Ham this window already. 

It[s not about being good or bad IMO. Both those players have looked at their best playing in a "low block"  in a very defensive formation. Look back at Ben Gibson when Middlesborugh were in the premier league. They played in the same way and he looked decent. Imagine him or those two playing a high line, it would be catastrophic When Burnley staerted to play a bit further up the pitch and tried to develop into being a bit more of a passing side, they let in a load of goals and got relegated. Sokme players suit some clubs and some do not. 

I'd much rather we went after players who can play in the wqay we want to play. Lets just hope they're good enough to be a good fit for us. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It[s not about being good or bad IMO. Both those players have looked at their best playing in a "low block"  in a very defensive formation. Look back at Ben Gibson when Middlesborugh were in the premier league. They played in the same way and he looked decent. Imagine him or those two playing a high line, it would be catastrophic When Burnley staerted to play a bit further up the pitch and tried to develop into being a bit more of a passing side, they let in a load of goals and got relegated. Sokme players suit some clubs and some do not. 

I'd much rather we went after players who can play in the wqay we want to play. Lets just hope they're good enough to be a good fit for us. 

Any suggestions for those type of players? Of course you neglect to mention that really good players can adapt to any style of play, but I agree the average player we have bought in the past few years can't

34 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I’d take cornet

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is a possible, I think.  Might also depend who we want more out of him & Lavia. (Can only get 1 loan from the same club).

Don’t see the need for a loan with delap, he’s not gonna be a first choice starter with city,, odd cup game at best really..

offer them a decent 15-20 m with a buyback at about 50-60 if he turns out totally world class they can have him back.. if not they got the 15-20 from us ?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Don’t see the need for a loan with delap, he’s not gonna be a first choice starter with city,, odd cup game at best really..

offer them a decent 15-20 m with a buyback at about 50-60 if he turns out totally world class they can have him back.. if not they got the 15-20 from us ?

I doubt we can afford to drop £20m on a player who has barely played senior football and has fitness issues. He's a bright talent, but thus far has only done it in youth football. Rhian Brewster to Sheffield United vibes.

If we want Delap, a loan makes much more sense. See if we can get 10 games out of him, let alone 10 goals.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

It will be intersting how brave we are when Tino is fit.  That could be Bazunu - 20, Tino - 19, ABK - 20, Sali - 23, KWP - 25 or Perraud 24.  Interestingly many of the Liverpool team are 30+ now including Salah, Thiago, Van Dijk, Henderson, Milner and Mane who's now going. 

The stars are all aligning for another raid on us by the scousers. Watch out for any of our lads taking pleasure rides in blackpool and eating fish and chips with a geezer with shining gnashers

31 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah agree with that. Much the same with Bednerak, different player for Poland, but seems to struggle playing the way we do

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

I meant it’s a ‘different sport’ in terms of physicality etc. I don’t expect it tonne exactly the same as the mens game, and quite like that it isn’t  (certainly less ego on the pitch, and greater sportsmanship).

Your issue appears to be that a ‘minority sport’ is being over-promoted. I disagree. Woman’s football is one of the fastest growing sports globally, and it makes sense that countries would promote it to get women and girls playing. Getting people active, mobile and fit is a good thing. It also has untapped potential, and will continue to develop - you only have to look at the gates Barcelona are getting to see that. Even Newcastle (who are the fourth tier I think) got 22k along to SJP last season. We had 5.5k at SMS for the P*mpey game. 

A thriving womens football scene  benefits football generally, at grass roots and above. Can’t see why promotion of it would be an issue. If you don’t like it, just ignore it 🤷‍♂️

Not hard to be the fastest growing sport when starting from very low numbers. Paddle also claims to be the fastest growing sport in this country, but i dont get regular sky sports newsflashes about what Paddle players are up to this week. The fact of the matter is the standard of football is very low, as demonstrated by the female world champions being beaten by an U15 team and it's about as well supported as small league 2 clubs at the best of times. 

You seem to believe that just because dont want it rammed down their throat all the time people are against it. As i mentioned about we've got 3 girls in our U9s team, they love it and we love having them. 3 or 4 of the girls are some of the techincally best players in the group at my sons futsal sessions, you'd struggle to find anyone who has any issue with women playing football, what the issue is is that there is clear agenda to massively over promote it way beyond the interest level. THen if anyone dares to say anything about it then they get jumped up accused of being a dinosaur. That's what happens when people dont like hearing the truth

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Any suggestions for those type of players? Of course you neglect to mention that really good players can adapt to any style of play, but I agree the average player we have bought in the past few years can't

Really good players cost an awful lot of money / wages, and you are talking top level players in order to be able to do everything. Signing and then expecting Burnley's CB to adapt to a high line press with good control and passing just isn't an efficient use of our funds. It would take time, may well be beyond them, and there are cheaper and better suited options that we can sign.

Equally we are not going to change to the deep back 4 used by dyche. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Really good players cost an awful lot of money / wages, and you are talking top level players in order to be able to do everything. Expecting a Burnley's CB to adapt to play a high line press with good control and passing just isn't an efficient use of our funds. Nor are we going to change to the deep back 4 used by dyche. 

Yeah, not suggesting we would change - we are obviously going full-fat Ralph ball

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not hard to be the fastest growing sport when starting from very low numbers. Paddle also claims to be the fastest growing sport in this country, but i dont get regular sky sports newsflashes about what Paddle players are up to this week. The fact of the matter is the standard of football is very low, as demonstrated by the female world champions being beaten by an U15 team and it's about as well supported as small league 2 clubs at the best of times. 

You seem to believe that just because dont want it rammed down their throat all the time people are against it. As i mentioned about we've got 3 girls in our U9s team, they love it and we love having them. 3 or 4 of the girls are some of the techincally best players in the group at my sons futsal sessions, you'd struggle to find anyone who has any issue with women playing football, what the issue is is that there is clear agenda to massively over promote it way beyond the interest level. THen if anyone dares to say anything about it then they get jumped up accused of being a dinosaur. That's what happens when people dont like hearing the truth

You know, considering how little interest you love to tell us you have in women's football, you don't half bang on about it a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You know, considering how little interest you love to tell us you have in women's football, you don't half bang on about it a lot.

I think he was trying not to over promote said interest... 😇😄

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 2

Mane joins Bayern: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12634287/sadio-mane-senegal-forward-joins-bayern-munich-from-liverpool-in-35m-deal

Bayern will pay an initial £27.5m with a further £5m based on appearances, and will pay another £2.5m based on individual and team achievements.

The deal eclipses what Liverpool paid for Mane - £31m plus £2.5m in add-ons - with Southampton not getting any additional money.

Sounds like we're not getting anything out of the deal unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Mane joins Bayern: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12634287/sadio-mane-senegal-forward-joins-bayern-munich-from-liverpool-in-35m-deal

Sounds like we're not getting anything out of the deal unfortunately.

I hear literally every transfer has certain sell on clauses etc it's just that sometimes it's like 0.05% or something silly and not even worth reporting on. So we should get SOMETHING.

Liverpool fans branding Mane greedy. One of the least greedy players in the history of football. Bellends.

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure why people still think we're going to sign proven 30 year old players from the premier league on big wages. Simply not going to happen IMO.

What was wallcott then. Unlikely I know but we've done it before so not completely ridiculous.