Martin Semmens Interview on Five Live

kwsaint

Just been listening to Martin Semmens being interviewed on Five LIve's Monday Night club.  Seriously impressive.  Well worth a listen on BBC Sounds

He has set a very clear direction for the club - basically wanting us to be the club of choice for young players as they know that they will get opportunities and that if the big clubs come knocking then we won't stand in their way.  And wanting us to play the kind of football that is enjoyable to watch.  Doesnt look like we will pay silly money to keep Broja though

He also mentioned again that he has spoken to RH about his successor when he decides to move on.

What did anyone else think?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Just been listening to Martin Semmens being interviewed on Five LIve's Monday Night club.  Seriously impressive.  Well worth a listen on BBC Sounds

He has set a very clear direction for the club - basically wanting us to be the club of choice for young players as they know that they will get opportunities and that if the big clubs come knocking then we won't stand in their way.  And wanting us to play the kind of football that is enjoyable to watch.  Doesnt look like we will pay silly money to keep Broja though

He also mentioned again that he has spoken to RH about his successor when he decides to move on.

What did anyone else think?

I’ll let you know when I’ve had a listen. It’s good that a successor has been discussed.

42 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Seems a little strange to say they have a name in mind if it's truly over 2 years away. That's a very long time in football. I've never known of a situation like this at another club (at least not publicly).

I imagine they'll just be keeping their eye on certain people to see how they do, but yeah in two years time there will almost certainly be half a dozen managers who have done terrific jobs that nobody has heard of right now.

Just listened to the interview. Semmens is hugely impressive, open and honest. The model he has implemented and refined is perfect for us. It a very interesting situation that Ralph has said he wants to retire when his contract is up, and it sounds like Semmens/the club were not expecting him to publicly state it (even though they have talked internally)!!

It is a lovely time being a Saints fan right now, with the new ownership, the state of the business, the results and the way we are playing. Fingers crossed t last for quite a while!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwsaint said:

I've not listened to it, but those thinking we would some how no longer be a selling club and have major funds to compete with bigger fish will be disappointed.  We will be buying low and selling dear - same as always. Financially prudent, selling at the right time/price, preventing players leaving for free and a reliance on excellent scouting. No real change. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Seems a little strange to say they have a name in mind if it's truly over 2 years away. That's a very long time in football. 

a very long time. They could easily have turned to shit or be acquired by another bigger fish.

For goodness sake Ralph mentioned about moving on a couple of years ago. So hardly a shock. I have no doubt his grounded view of football is heavily influenced by his brush with death has a lot to do with it . 

https://3pointsforawin.com/southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-reveals-he-almost-died-in-intensive-care-eight-years-ago-after-battling-hantavirus/

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've not listened to it, but those thinking we would some how no longer be a selling club and have major funds to compete with bigger fish will be disappointed.  We will be buying low and selling dear - same as always. Financially prudent, selling at the right time/price, preventing players leaving for free and a reliance on excellent scouting. No real change. 

I’m pretty certain that we actually do have relatively major funds to compete with bigger fish than we did before, both for new and already present players. I’m also pretty certain that no-one thinks that means we’re not a selling club any more.

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agreed. It’s just that we might be able to get a little higher in the table as we can attract better quality younger players. 

Maybe the stadium can be improved with safe standing as a result of the new owners at least. 

5 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I was thinking Bruno Lage - Frank is doing a good job but not sure i’d call it unbelievable given their really poor from since December.

He’s done a fantastic job throughout his tenure at Brentford. 
And despite this downturn in form right now,they would bite your hand off to finish in the position they are in right now. 

Listening to it now. Wow, what an impressive interview, on a national radio station to boot. The 5live panel/interviewer were so impressed with his pragmatic approach to running a football club. I think we're pretty unique in our player (and manager) pathway approach. Long may it continue. 

Listen link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014lb5

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Listening to it now. Wow, what an impressive interview, on a national radio station to boot. The 5live panel/interviewer were so impressed with his pragmatic approach to running a football club. I think we're pretty unique in our player (and manager) pathway approach. Long may it continue. 

When you look at Levy at Spurs then Semmens is a different league. He certainly installs confidence

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger said:

Tbh semmens is a good man but it sounds like the takeover isn’t going to change anything. Sounds like all our best players going to go still and that we won’t be signing broja! Have I got this right? 

I think you've completely missed the entire point of it all if that is your summary to be honest.

This takeover was never going to enable us to sign £40-50m players and blow Villa out of the window, it was to allow us to continue our plan with a lot more flexibility than we had. We will still sell players, and we will still buy players and develop them to sell them again. That's our model, that won't change and we do it bloody well.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

When you look at Levy at Spurs then Semmens is a different league. He certainly installs confidence

Indeed. You could tell Mark Chapman and Michah Richards were totally enamoured and enchanted by Semmens' approach to running a football club. At the end of the interview Chappers said: "for any young footballers out there, if that hasn't convinced you to sign for Southampton then what has?" (Or words to that effect)

Its a great time to be a Saints fan right now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think you've completely missed the entire point of it all if that is your summary to be honest.

This takeover was never going to enable us to sign £40-50m players and blow Villa out of the window, it was to allow us to continue our plan with a lot more flexibility than we had.

Cheers for that. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Seems a little strange to say they have a name in mind if it's truly over 2 years away. That's a very long time in football. I've never known of a situation like this at another club (at least not publicly).

Thats how long it will take Shane Long to get his coaching badge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Roger said:

Tbh semmens is a good man but it sounds like the takeover isn’t going to change anything. Sounds like all our best players going to go still and that we won’t be signing broja! Have I got this right? 

yes. The only thing that changes is there may be a little improvement in terms of cash flow, so we don't miss out on our first choice and perhaps an even greater emphasis on buying youth and potential. Broja is exactly the type we want, but we wont be signing him this summer on our budget and with the debt as it stands.

58 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Agreed. It’s just that we might be able to get a little higher in the table as we can attract better quality younger players. 

Maybe the stadium can be improved with safe standing as a result of the new owners at least. 

Safe standing just seems completely pointless at this moment in time. It doesn't appear that you would get an increase in capacity by implementing it, so you'd have to spend a large amount for an area which fans would expect for cheaper with no real gains.

From a business point of view unless things change there isn't too much of a need just yet.

Back to Semmens interview, I do think it is a breath of fresh air, as fans I appreciate the honesty etc but I am worried we might be giving our secrets/strategy away. Similar happened when we were doing well in 2013-2016 and Les Reed was talking about all his Blackbox formulas etc etc and then our scouting went to pot.

I just hope we wrap up our transfers early now with our new owners due to being in a better financial position as there are 19 other PL clubs who could stump us for anyone we are linked with.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trousers said:

What time is he on? Can’t be arsed to listen to two hours of it 

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Safe standing just seems completely pointless at this moment in time. It doesn't appear that you would get an increase in capacity by implementing it, so you'd have to spend a large amount for an area which fans would expect for cheaper with no real gains.

From a business point of view unless things change there isn't too much of a need just yet.

A 'gain' is that it is safer than having people stand in areas designed for people to sit, as is currently the case.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the takeover allows us to go back to the Southampton of seven years ago. Selling a Lallana and getting a Tadic, selling a Lambert and getting a Pelle, selling a Shaw and getting a Bertrand (following initial loan), selling a Lovren and getting a Alderweireld (loan fee + wages) and then Van Dijk a year later, selling a Chambers and getting a Long. AND THEN still having enough to bring in Forster, Gardos, Mane, Taider (ermmm), Elia and Djuricic.

Under Gao, we simply couldn't do that and had to keep the books balanced at all times regarding transfer expenditure and income, e.g. a Targett sale gets you an Adams, but nothing more and needing to spread out the Ings and Vestergaard money from this summer, but not going over what came in.

It's similar to the Leicester model, but also, they've shown this season, like we have, what one poor summer window can do to your club. Maybe Les Reed was right that they are trying to copy us. 

I think that's the difference that the takeover has brought in. We'll still be a selling club, but hopefully we can get rid of the net spend trophy.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

V interesting interview. Am not sure if he means Frank or Lage, but feel sure it's one or other.

Actually, MS says the manger came in "this year or the end of last year" - suggesting he's maybe talking calendar years not seasons...so that sounds like Howe?

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

I'm hoping that the takeover allows us to go back to the Southampton of seven years ago. Selling a Lallana and getting a Tadic, selling a Lambert and getting a Pelle, selling a Shaw and getting a Bertrand (following initial loan), selling a Lovren and getting a Alderweireld (loan fee + wages) and then Van Dijk a year later, selling a Chambers and getting a Long. AND THEN still having enough to bring in Forster, Gardos, Mane, Taider (ermmm), Elia and Djuricic.

Under Gao, we simply couldn't do that and had to keep the books balanced at all times regarding transfer expenditure and income, e.g. a Targett sale gets you an Adams, but nothing more and needing to spread out the Ings and Vestergaard money from this summer, but not going over what came in.

It's similar to the Leicester model, but also, they've shown this season, like we have, what one poor summer window can do to your club. Maybe Les Reed was right that they are trying to copy us. 

I think that's the difference that the takeover has brought in. We'll still be a selling club, but hopefully we can get rid of the net spend trophy.

Excellent post Harv, I agree with all that. 

That whole segment sums up what it is to be a Saints fan: pragmatic, but with a sense of purpose and a unique way of doing things.  Seeing the sheer beauty and entertainment when we are on form makes the good days even sweeter.  We do feel like a club on the up - and we should enjoy players like Broja while they are here: we won't be able to keep hold of top, top talent.

Feels like we are in really safe hands with Semmens at the helm.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Actually, MS says the manger came in "this year or the end of last year" - suggesting he's maybe talking calendar years not seasons...so that sounds like Howe?

Think we can dismiss the 5 or so Watford managers in that time. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

A 'gain' is that it is safer than having people stand in areas designed for people to sit, as is currently the case.

Out of interest, how unsafe is standing in the northam compared to spending large amounts of cash investing in “safe staffing” infrastructure? For example how many injuries / deaths etc have we had at SMS directly attributable to the current seating?  What would be the cost per injury over a 10 year period on average for this “gain”? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I was thinking Bruno Lage - Frank is doing a good job but not sure i’d call it unbelievable given their really poor from since December.

The Brentford connection in our ownership makes me think it must be Frank. 

Their form has dropped off, but the squad there is clearly still playing for him.

8 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Actually, MS says the manger came in " or the end of last " - suggesting he's maybe talking calendar years not seasons...so that sounds like Howe?

I suspect Howe may be available again once Newcastle aim for the next level of signings - ie next season. So timing still might not work. Weren't there loads of rumours about him being about to be appointed when Ralph was in one of his confused managerial segments back there. Even being spotted in the crowd? Sounds feasible to me.

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Armstrong is so undervalued by everyone outside of Saints. He wouldn't look out of place in anyone outside of City or Liverpool.

Armstrong actually IS underrated. Unlike Davis who was raved about by our fans, commentators and opposition yet still somehow got this stupid "underrated" tag despite it being very obvious that literally everyone rated him.