Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

That ABK lad what a unit doesn't fk about straight in and smash! can we unearth another centre back like this please the lad looks like an absolute unit!

Djenepo has been doing well as a wing back 

Shout out to Adams we would be stupid to sell him !

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

At half time I was saying that Ralph will have perhaps been quite pleased with the outcome. Absorbed Leicester's pressure and nearly had a goal on a break.

No doubt about it at full time.

Even if we had lost that 1-0, he could have pointed out that it was from a set piece in a very good position for them, and that perhaps the keeper might have done better (it was going at pace for me really, so it would have had to have been his starting position if anything)

Concdeing from that meant that his initial tactic would have to be turned around. Leicester certainly dropped off,  a marked difference to their first half. The introduction of Adams was a game changer. We now had someone who could hold it up, even among Leicester bodies. KWP got more freedom and looked dangerous.

A different game plan in effect from Ralph. I'd have kept Mara on and taken off AA. Ralph took AA off for Stu. A really interesting decision, taking off a second forward when 1 down. AA had done most of his best work in a supporting role, and with Aribo still on with Stu, we did have attacking options still on.

Adams finished really well for the goals, and also closed them down leading from the front. We also looked a lot more solid at the back today. Even under the large amount of Leicester possession in the first 30 odd minutes.

Djenepo's still no natural full back. But in addition to him being a good attacking complement to KWP on the otehr flank, later in the game, I saw him get in to take up some good defensive positions, and make some good tackles. Lavia already looks excellent. Extra points for standing up to Maddison late on.

Mo might not have offered much in the first part of the game. But when you've got a number of attacking options on there around him, he was doing a number of the supporting play well. JWP also benefited from that. He got in some solid tackles, as well as some freedom to deliver passes into the final third.

Lots to discuss about that one, so looking forward to reading the comments. I'd have taken a point at the start. Certainly at half time. Great that the team had more ambition today than I managed. 🙂

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Adams is definitely good enough and should have started. Same goes for against Tottenham. We've scored 5 goals this season and he's had involvement in 4.

Several people were saying that he wasn’t fully fit and only trained one full day this week. In any case, people are going to move on from the idea of our best 11 players being the ones which start the game. With five subs now being the norm, it just means you’re going to have a significantly weaker team in the last 20 minutes.

We could have started Stu and Adams but then what? We’re left trying to change things second half by bringing on Moi, AA and Walcott. It seems a bit weird talking about stuff we ‘should have’ done when we’ve just won away at Leicester.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Adams is definitely good enough and should have started. Same goes for against Tottenham. We've scored 5 goals this season and he's had involvement in 4.

He’d only trained once all week hadn’t he? Was never gonna start after that.

Just now, angelman said:

Read one comment on Foxes Talk, saying that we looked like relegation fodder and that they were even worse today. I know it's easy to say that once you've lost to a (supposed) weaker team, but were we playing like a Championship side?

Are we literally waiting till we go a goal down to launch ourselves at 100%? 

3 minutes ago, angelman said:

Read one comment on Foxes Talk, saying that we looked like relegation fodder and that they were even worse today. I know it's easy to say that once you've lost to a (supposed) weaker team, but were we playing like a Championship side?

They’re right. For 70 minutes of today we were second best and Leicester are a very poor team at the minute. 

We improved after the goal and Che came on, which allowed us to get the pitch more. But we scored from a long throw and a cross, a better team would have cleared the danger of both. 

A great win, but let’s not paper of the cracks, we’re still a team in trouble. Play like that first 70 mins against any other team at the minute and we’d be out of sight. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He had a minor knock and didn't have a full week of training, so wouldn't have played 90 mins anyway.

Seems like RH actually made the right decision to use him as an impact sub rather than start him. 

• Like 3

Che needs to be backed now and shown he's our number 1, which is clearly should be. I'd get Armstrong out and please god stop persisting with Elynoussi. Perhaps RH will finally work out what we can all see after today and the last 30 minutes of Leeds, but I'm yet to be convinced he will. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Adams offers so much more! And our esteemed manager thinks AA deserves to start over him 

What about squad management? With 5 subs now more than ever before it is how you use your bench. Gone are the days where you start with your strongest eleven.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Are we literally waiting till we go a goal down to launch ourselves at 100%? 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Injury to Adams or Mara and we have Armstrong up top again though. 

Personally I thought we were rubbish until we started losing. Same against Leeds. 

• Like 2

That's the first game I've been able to watch this season.

We were terrible for 60 mins then good for 30. That said, even in the terrible period we looked pretty solid; we didn't give up chances and they only managed a goal from a set piece. The 4141 helped shield the back 4.

All of our new signings look like decent players. The standout today was Bella-Kotchap, who was immense. He's the best header of a ball we've had since Van Dijk and even managed to make something of one of Salisu's throws. He was composed and assured.

Bazuna, Lavia and Mara also have tremendous potential. Aribo is strong and has great close control. All good signings.

Shout out to Djenepo and Salisu who had good games and KWP was excellent in the second half too.

A Armstrong and Mo Elyounoussi still look like relegation level players to me though, although you can't fault their effort or attitude. Stuart Armstrong and Che Adams, and frankly Nathan Redmond, are far better. 

We really need a Tadic / Pelle type signing. Someone who has a few miles on the clock and is used to carrying a burden of expectation. Although I'm impressed with our signings as individuals, they are generally all quite raw. 

Edited by benjii
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Dman said:

They’re right. For 70 minutes of today we were second best and Leicester are a very poor team at the minute. 

We improved after the goal and Che came on, which allowed us to get the pitch more. But we scored from a long throw and a cross, a better team would have cleared the danger of both. 

A great win, but let’s not paper of the cracks, we’re still a team in trouble. Play like that first 70 mins against any other team at the minute and we’d be out of sight. 

It wasn't 70 minutes. We were all over them for about 5-10 mins before we scored our first. And we continued to dominate until the end of the game. Our expected goals was 1.13 and Leicester's was 0.26. We had more shots, more shots on target, more corners. Its not about how much of the ball you have, its what you do with it that counts.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

What, like Spurs away last season?

Each game is different, I thought the game was fairly even for the fist 70 mins, didnt think either side were head and shoulders above. I think the club is trying to make us harder to beat, so getting used to playing slightly differently.

Also, with the shite run we’ve been on, that also plays on the minds of the players and staff, getting a win away at Leicester will boost the confidence, and allow us to play slightly free-er…

• Like 2

I’d much rather be a team that finishes a game stronger than one that blitzes teams in the first half only to run out of steam second half (see Saints 2019-2021) 

and of course Adams had to start on the bench if he’d barely trained all week..

• Like 6

Somewhat of a nice change to see us finishing games strongly instead of starting well and capitulating at the end. Almost seems that we were happy to let Leicester tire themselves out in the first 45 and then put them to the sword after fresh legs were introduced  in the 2nd half.

I do hope that us only coming to life after going a goal down doesn't become a nasty habit though...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Much worse teams than Spurs and Leeds wouldn’t have been able to score their goals, so if you assume we were playing Port Vale and Crawley instead, and won both games, we’re actually top of the table with 9 points and a plus 7 GD.

• Haha 2

Thought we were garbage until we went behind (as, per....).  The tactics until then were just weird, hitting the forward players early, which meant hitting Mara, Armstrong or Mo.  None of which are any good in that role.  Just f-ing weird.

However, great come back and nice to win from a losing position. 

One thing is for sure, regardless of any new signings, selling/loaning Adams would be absolutely criminal!

Oh, and shout to the commentators...managed to mention the 9-0 at 13 seconds in, FFS

• Like 2

Quite alot of positives out of that. Thought all the back 4 did well. Shakey moments of course, but Leicester have alot of good players so that is bound to happen. KWP is just ridiculous, I just love the way he dribbles forward, it's so smooth. I like Djenepo. We all know he isn't quite good enough, but he gives it absolutely everything he has. Of all our attacking players, he is the one I would have had last to filling in as a defender, yet he is the one who has put his hand up and got stuck in. He could easily have sulked from the bench.

Mara really looks like has something about him. I like signings like this. You can see exactly why we have taken a punt on him. Who knows how it will work out, but can see the logic behind it. It was the same with Salisu when he joined and now Bella-Kotchap. Which brings me to Moi, who is the opposite of that. I've never really been able to see those raw ingredients. For a player with supposed high technical ability, he scuffs the ball alot, and just doesn't ever really look that dangerous. 

• Like 2

"Che was not training this week until Thursday. He was fresh. He could come on and power himself for 30- minutes. This is good. we need alternatives from the bench. The starters did good but you need someone who goes in at decisive moments.

"You could see at the start we had some respect for playing here better than we can. After the goal we see we have nothing to lose and the guys step up. We played some fantastic football.

"We now have Manchester United and Chelsea, two home games. We have four points and it is a good start. Better than in previous years."

On Armel Bella-Kotchap: "I rested him the first game and wanted to give him a good start in the first game against Leeds. He showed up and did a good job today."

Southampton goalscorer Che Adams, who was born in Leicester: "It is great to get on the scoresheet and help the boys to three points. I could have got three today so that is what has annoyed me the most.

"Moi [Mohamed Elyounoussi] told me to pass to him but no chance I was doing that.

"What the manager has instilled in us is to never give up and keep believing. We did that today. First half was tough, in tough conditions, but we stuck in there and got the points.

"I have played here many times before. None of my family were here today but I am delighted to score here."

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He had a minor knock and didn't have a full week of training, so wouldn't have played 90 mins anyway.

Seems like RH actually made the right decision to use him as an impact sub rather than start him. 

Indeed. A classic case of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

What does the D in Dman stand for?…depressed?

Edited by Puddings and Monkeys
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

This may sound silly, but if the tactic is to keep it tight for the first half and then attack more after 60 mins, then Shane Long would have been perfect for the first hour. 

Obviously it can't happen now, and imagine the reaction if he was starting games, but it kinda makes sense.

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

This may sound silly, but if the tactic is to keep it tight for the first half and then attack more after 60 mins, then Shane Long would have been perfect for the first hour. 

Obviously it can't happen now, and imagine the reaction if he was starting games, but it kinda makes sense.

From that point of view Armstrong is very similar just without the aerial ability.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Adams offers so much more! And our esteemed manager thinks AA deserves to start over him 

Have you been an ill-informed buffoon your entire life or is it a relatively recent phenomenon?

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we are massively lightweight up top.  The ball is coming back way too frequently/easy

On this note, don’t you think that Adams gives us so much more. The 2 goals help to see this, but he offers so much more and makes it hard for the oppos defence 

• Like 1

Absolutely. Bella-Kotchap and Salisu are dovetailing really well and it’s clear that they (and Bazunu) are communicating back there. We need that to happen with JWP and Lavia, who have yet to develop the understanding that JWP and Romeu had - but it will come.

The goal we conceded was frustrating because it looked like a mis-aligned wall - something we can also work on.

We’re clearly a side that plays better on the front foot, and we’ll get better when the Coaching staff and players have the courage to start that way, instead of absorbing pressure and waiting until we go behind - at least against non-Top 6 sides.

Again, it was great to see Ralph having huddles with his assistants.

• Like 6

Don’t subscribe to the idea of those saying we were terrible for 60 minutes, thought we defended very well for that 60 mins, just lacked creativity going forward, Very much the same for Leicester. Both sides almost equalled each other out until the Maddison goal and it was quiet pedestrian until that point, although we also didn’t look like we’d concede and thought we looked comfortable, build Momentum from being strong at the back, which is exactly what we did today.

Maddison’s goal was quality, the only bit of quality all afternoon from Leicester, we then went up a gear and Leicester couldn’t get near us for the last 30 mins. Could have been 3 or 4 in the end.

im very happy with that performance, 3pts at Leicester is a great return, it’s a result that makes me think we’ll be alright this season. 

Rodgers has come out and said Leicester aren’t expecting new signings before the window closes, with teams looking at Maddison, Telemens, Fofana they could be in trouble, they were flat today, whether that’s because of their situation or because they struggled to break us down, I don’t know, but I worry for them. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic