January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I'd rather we just committed to working on more realistic Championship / fringe European league targets who can come in the first week of January, rather than hang our hopes on Boufal/Ramirez/Gakpo/Ramos types who either come with an injury and take ages to get going or just don't come at all.

Edited by SambaMaverick

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'd rather we just committed to working on more realistic Championship / fringe European league targets who can come in the first week of January, rather than hang our hopes on Boufal/Ramirez/Gakpo/Ramos types who either come with an injury and take ages to get going or just don't come at all.

Do think  Boufal/Ramirez/Gakpo/Ramos types are likely to want to come here and get verbally abused on this Forum when things go wrong

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Athletic reporter said on the latest Total Saints Podcast that we are ideally looking to add a striker and a number 10/winger in January. I think we’d all agree that’s what we need. Cover for Lavia is the only other big gap I see.

So that's Elijah Adebayo and Ryan Fraser in then.....

Calling it now who's gonna buy me a can of pop if I'm correct 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John B said:

Do think  Boufal/Ramirez/Gakpo/Ramos types are likely to want to come here and get verbally abused on this Forum when things go wrong

Imagine being a premier league level footballer and being unable to handle criticism on an online football forum... tough old life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Get Wanyama back could do with a Unit like that 

Why don’t we sign schneiderlin as well to get our old midfield back.

what we really need is a Terry Hurlock presence in midfield, just with more talent on the ball. with no romeu next to JWP, he dosent challenge as much and so we lose out all 50:50s and most favouring 70/30s

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Unlikely to work like that.  Recruitment is a non-stop year round process without a beginning point or end point. Windows are when announcements are made and contracts signed. Bit like when national leaders meet.

Fucking hell. I was referring to Turkish waiting until the window before passing judgement, not the club waiting until then before starting any approaches. But you crack on sure 😂😂

On 13/12/2022 at 15:09, Saint86 said:

Imagine being a premier league level footballer and being unable to handle criticism on an online football forum... tough old life.

Most are young lads who need encouragement not misinformed nonsense from knobs on here 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I think I know the answer, but just wondering if you class yourself as a "knob on here" and if not why not 🙂

Of course I must be a knob reading mostly drivel on here for the last 15 years but SFC has been part of my life for over 60 years

• Like 6

On 13/12/2022 at 11:24, John B said:

Don't think any of them could give two shits about what is said on a forum they don't look it. Especially when you take in to account the people who are saying it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

So SaintsWeb isn't the talk of a Premier League changing room? What a waste of time all of this is.

Who knows, maybe the new NJ regime will have the post match thread up on a projector after games. Might be a good laugh after a tough game for the players. 

• Haha 3

Fair enough I guess. He's tended to move around a fair amount in his career. Be interesting to know the reasons behind it, but what really matters is we make a good appointment on the back of it. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Crocker off at end of the season then

I’ve watched blackburns last two games and despite the hype have not been impressed by Ben Breaton-Diaz at all. Looks a very average player who hasn’t impacted either game at all. He’s got a very good scoring recent record in the championship but don’t think he’ll add much of rumours are true we are in for him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ve watched blackburns last two games and despite the hype have not been impressed by Ben Breaton-Diaz at all. Looks a very average player who hasn’t impacted either game at all. He’s got a very good scoring recent record in the championship but don’t think he’ll add much of rumours are true we are in for him. 

watched him against burnley and he went completely missing. hope we stay away. 

39 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

watched him against burnley and he went completely missing. hope we stay away. 

Agree - watched Blackburn against Norwich last night and he wasn't involved. The game gave me some hope though. Because two terrible teams seem to be doing ok in the Championship. We could do worse than Rondon who is now a free agent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

As you know I watch Blackburn virtually every game and I agree he has had a couple of quiet games. It’s very rare he gets a rest, he’s been flogged to death this season and I think he is carrying a hip injury. I’m not sure he is the answer for us either although he has a physical presence and does know where the back of the net is. Think he will run his contract down. Going to the Sunderland Blackburn game on Boxing Day so I’ll keep my ears peeled. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

As you know I watch Blackburn virtually every game and I agree he has had a couple of quiet games. It’s very rare he gets a rest, he’s been flogged to death this season and I think he is carrying a hip injury. I’m not sure he is the answer for us either although he has a physical presence and does know where the back of the net is. Think he will run his contract down. Going to the Sunderland Blackburn game on Boxing Day so I’ll keep my ears peeled. 

Thanks didn’t realise he was injured. Your SIL played well yesterday looked a threat. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yeah I made a point of watching bits of their game yesterday against Norwich.  Saw literally nothing of Brereton Diaz that would leave to think he’d be any better than Adam Armstrong, and that’s a low bar to clear. He also was not playing as a central striker, he’s doing the Armstrong thing out on the left

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thanks didn’t realise he was injured. Your SIL played well yesterday looked a threat. 

Yea thanks. I’m not sure he benefits much playing alongside Brereton as he is a selfish player (like all goalscorers) but he is happy at Ewood and gets on with the manager. He needs to be a little more selfish himself. I  don’t think BR are a top 6 side but like someone said maybe the standard is not as high as it used to be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

FWIW (and I've never seen him play live) but my Cov City supporting mate reckons Gyokeres is the real deal and would make an impact in the Prem. Is he an option? 

He's been mentioned, although it might be just mooted on here without any substance to it.

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

FWIW (and I've never seen him play live) but my Cov City supporting mate reckons Gyokeres is the real deal and would make an impact in the Prem. Is he an option? 

I rate him however wanting him would go against my previous request against signing championship players and im not a hypocrite. 

36 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

A couple of rumours would be nice. Hope the back room stuff hasn’t been a distraction…need a decent striker in the door on NYD. 

The Shields thing absolutely has to be a distraction. Would be odd if it wasn't! Even though there has been a good bit of time since he left lots of transfers are 6-12 months prep work at least.

Doubtless our situation is also made more complex by a change of Manager who many targets won't know of and a league position that rightly suggests we may not be able to offer PL football next season.

Will probably need to overpay to get players of the right quality.

Gyokeres is less prolific than Armstrong, so probably more of a gamble. Only thing you can say is physically he's completely different being 6' 2" so offers something we don't really have which is height and strength in the box, so might be more useful in build up play. I mean to be honest you kind of feel Armstrong next to someone like that might be more effective. 

Edited by tajjuk

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Need someone who has played in a european league and wont be shocked by how bloody cold and dark it is.

Probably a Scandinavian is our perfect striker 😃 - whose the 2nd best behind Haaland ?

Haaland has an 18 year old cousin breaking records in Norway youth football Tjaaland. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Gyokeres is less prolific than Armstrong, so probably more of a gamble. Only thing you can say is physically he's completely different being 6' 2" so offers something we don't really have which is height and strength in the box, so might be more useful in build up play. I mean to be honest you kind of feel Armstrong next to someone like that might be more effective. 

I think Adams is good enough for the build up play for us. It's the poacher/finisher that we're lacking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Adams is very strong and has actually improved a fair bit in the air. I don't think Armstrong would be effective if he played alongside Messi/Ronaldo, let alone Victor Gyokeres.