January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Ings is one of the most clinical strikers in the prem - if we can't get someone comparative we really should be trying to strike a deal with villa.

He was. Is he anymore though? I think there's a lot of nostalgia around Ings. 

• Like 5

Just now, egg said:

He's better than we've got and certainly appears higher calibre than anyone else linked so far.

We are up against the clock. We need someone to hit the ground running and he's likely to do just that. Proven scorer in this league. No risks, other than his injury record of course. An inexpensive punt.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Whenever i’ve seen him for Villa this season, he’s still as sharp as ever. Still manages to create space for a shot from nothing all the time. 

• Like 10

I agree with many of the comments about Nicolas Jackson particularly the absence of strong goalscoring.  One positive though is that he has played regularly (although not as a confirmed starter) for Villareal. Villareal currently sit equal 4th in La Liga which is a fairly high level and certainly stronger than the bottom sides in the Premiership. He must have demonstrated some good abilities to play regularly for a team at that level in the division. 

Plus, he is only 21, so clearly isn't the finished product. I'd still like to procure Ings (who is the finished product) as that has more bearing on the next 19 league games than Jackson who can make a contribution but is unlikely to be the difference between staying up or going down, while Ings could. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, egg said:

He has 6 goals in 18 PL games this season, quite a few of which were just a few minutes off the bench. I'm amazed anyone would turn their nose up, we're not going to get better. He's still only 30 and been relatively injury free at Villa. Should have a good couple of years at least left in him yet, I'd rather have him here than at one of our rivals.

As said above, the sort of deal I could see happening on deadline day.

• Like 7

So, I'm going to put this out there again! It appears that we have been linked with all of the following - most of whom are strikers or wingers. Have I missed anyone? How many players do we think we are going to sign before the end of the window? Just one forward or a winger and strriker? Will we sign anyone in defence?

Name

Club

Position

Terem Moffi

Lorient (France)

Striker

Daizen Maeda

Celtic

Striker

Nicolas Jackson

Villareal

Striker

Danny Ings

Aston Villa

Striker

Mystery Striker(!)

?

Striker

Beto

Udinese

Striker

Oscar Estupinan

Hull City

Striker

Antoine Semenyo

Bristol City

Striker

Jérémy Doku

Rennes (France)

Winger

Kian Breckin

Man City

Winger

Carlos Borges

Man City

Winger

Rory MacLeod

Dundee Utd

Winger

Michael Keane

Everton

CB

James Bree

Luton Town

RB

Rick Karsdorp

Roma

RB

Also, any ideas whether the comments made about a 'Mystery Striker' are anything we should be excited about? Might we suddenly hear about an exciting signing just before it goes through? Or was this just a reference to one of the other strikers/wingers that we are rumoured to be looking at?

One final thought is whether there is any substance in the rumours that we may have decided we don't necessarily need to sign a striker? I'm dubious about it myself, but I am also wondering what signing another striker is going to mean for Sekou Mara, Jimmy-Jay Morgan, Dom Ballard and Tyler Dibling. Might there be the possibility that we may give some of them more opportunities once the window has closed?

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Missed out Dom Ballard!

16 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, I'm going to put this out there again! It appears that we have been linked with all of the following - most of whom are strikers or wingers. Have I missed anyone? How many players do we think we are going to sign before the end of the window? Just one forward or a winger and strriker? Will we sign anyone in defence?

Name

Club

Position

Terem Moffi

Lorient (France)

Striker

Daizen Maeda

Celtic

Striker

Nicolas Jackson

Villareal

Striker

Danny Ings

Aston Villa

Striker

Mystery Striker(!)

?

Striker

Beto

Udinese

Striker

Oscar Estupinan

Hull City

Striker

Antoine Semenyo

Bristol City

Striker

Jérémy Doku

Rennes (France)

Winger

Kian Breckin

Man City

Winger

Carlos Borges

Man City

Winger

Rory MacLeod

Dundee Utd

Winger

Michael Keane

Everton

CB

James Bree

Luton Town

RB

Rick Karsdorp

Roma

RB

Also, any ideas whether the comments made about a 'Mystery Striker' are anything we should be excited about? Might we suddenly hear about an exciting signing just before it goes through? Or was this just a reference to one of the other strikers/wingers that we are rumoured to be looking at?

One final thought is whether there is any substance in the rumours that we may have decided we don't necessarily need to sign a striker? I'm dubious about it myself, but I am also wondering what signing another striker is going to mean for Sekou Mara, Jimmy-Jay Morgan, Dom Ballard and Tyler Dibling. Might there be the possibility that we may give some of them more opportunities once the window has closed?

I DO like the sound of Mystery Striker. Any stats??

25 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I agree with many of the comments about Nicolas Jackson particularly the absence of strong goalscoring.  One positive though is that he has played regularly (although not as a confirmed starter) for Villareal. Villareal currently sit equal 4th in La Liga which is a fairly high level and certainly stronger than the bottom sides in the Premiership. He must have demonstrated some good abilities to play regularly for a team at that level in the division. 

Plus, he is only 21, so clearly isn't the finished product. I'd still like to procure Ings (who is the finished product) as that has more bearing on the next 19 league games than Jackson who can make a contribution but is unlikely to be the difference between staying up or going down, while Ings could. 

Finished alright; Villa know it, which is why they want rid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

An immediate £20m on Jackson is made somewhat weirder by the fact that Danjuma appears to be heading to Everton or Bournemouth on loan with an option.

Is Danjuma actually good though? Didn’t do anything for Bournemouth until they were relegated to the Championship (which admittedly he tore up), then a big money move to Villarreal but now being allowed back out on loan? Also only linked to probably the two worst teams in the PL besides us. 

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Is Danjuma actually good though? Didn’t do anything for Bournemouth until they were relegated to the Championship (which admittedly he tore up), then a big money move to Villarreal but now being allowed back out on loan? Also only linked to probably the two worst teams in the PL besides us. 

6 in 11 in the CL last year as well as 10 in 23 La Liga games is certainly more of a pedigree.

31 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Name

Club

Position

Terem Moffi

Lorient (France)

Striker

Daizen Maeda

Celtic

Striker

Nicolas Jackson

Villareal

Striker

Danny Ings

Aston Villa

Striker

Mystery Striker(!)

?

Striker

Beto

Udinese

Striker

Oscar Estupinan

Hull City

Striker

Antoine Semenyo

Bristol City

Striker

Jérémy Doku

Rennes (France)

Winger

Kian Breckin

Man City

Winger

Carlos Borges

Man City

Winger

Rory MacLeod

Dundee Utd

Winger

Michael Keane

Everton

CB

James Bree

Luton Town

RB

Rick Karsdorp

Roma

RB

I think the mystery striker will come out disguised as a bumble bee. We'll all have to try to guess his identity but he'll reveal his true self when he scores his first goal.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Name

Club

Position

Terem Moffi

Lorient (France)

Striker

Daizen Maeda

Celtic

Striker

Nicolas Jackson

Villareal

Striker

Danny Ings

Aston Villa

Striker

Mystery Striker(!)

?

Striker

Beto

Udinese

Striker

Oscar Estupinan

Hull City

Striker

Antoine Semenyo

Bristol City

Striker

Jérémy Doku

Rennes (France)

Winger

Kian Breckin

Man City

Winger

Carlos Borges

Man City

Winger

Rory MacLeod

Dundee Utd

Winger

Michael Keane

Everton

CB

James Bree

Luton Town

RB

Rick Karsdorp

Roma

RB

might add Djed Spence (RB) to that.

https://www.teamtalk.com/tottenham-hotspur/edge-closer-brilliant-new-right-back-signing-southampton-eye-loan-conte-fall-guy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

Has the best xG conversion rate this season of the players i previously listed (https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59570-january-2023-transfer-window/?do=findComment&comment=3116658). He was level with Haaland on 1.3 and above Kane on 1.2. Also a decent goals per minute ratio.

Now as we know, people don't like stats like xG and goals per minutes etc. But i would still say that yes, he is still a good finisher... though if we ignore the data though you'll have to trust peoples' word/perceptions 😋

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

Do people actually watch the Premier League? Ings has started only 8 league games, six goals. He'd walk into our team right now, and he's the best readily-available option in this window.

How is it even a question?

You’ve been on this forum before right? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Do people actually watch the Premier League? Ings has started only 8 league games, six goals. He'd walk into our team right now, and he's the best readily-available option in this window.

How is it even a question?

I blame a lot of it on Twitter. If you read through the saints hashtag you'd think the club employs scouts everywhere. People claiming to be experts on players that I can guarantee they have only heard of on FM or FIFA

14 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I blame a lot of it on Twitter. If you read through the saints hashtag you'd think the club employs scouts everywhere. People claiming to be experts on players that I can guarantee they have only heard of on FM or FIFA

I do find it weird when saints are linked to all these players from random leagues and all these people suddenly become scouts having been watching the player 'for about 5 years' and every time says "I said saints should go after him years ago, get this done" only for him to sign and be shit. 

Edited by SotonianWill

His nickname is neymar btw :) after watching a bit I can see that! he seems to float around behind the strikers doing stepovers and drawing fouls (probably what earns the nickname) ..nothing about looks like a striker and his finishing doesn’t look great. ..

hmmmm on him doesn’t really look what we need at all but at the same time maybe could turn out great at some stage.. we really should be prioritising getting the actual bloody striker in though..

more on Jackson here https://footballtalentscout.net/2022/03/11/nicolas-jackson-discovering-the-one-they-call-neymar-in-senegal-by-harold-monteiro-macedo/

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

11 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Medical in next 24hrs, £18m fee agreedScreenshot_20230117-161637_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fingers crossed it's true. I quite like him. Not the striker we need, but he's got some great attributes that we just don't have. The ability to run with the ball at pace while defenders bounce off him can cause chaos.

Reminds me of a young Zaha. Who was also raw as anything at the same age.

As longer term investments, Jackson, Mara and Edozie could develop into something very exciting.

• Like 1

I thought Jackson looked good against us in pre season, importantly he looks very strong as well as being quick and as such is difficult to brush off the ball. 

Jones said he wants more pace and power and that ticks those boxes.

I don't watch La Liga, but perhaps he gets doubled up on a lot and other players get more space as a result.

Just now, qwertyell said:

Fingers crossed it's true. I quite like him. Not the striker we need, but he's got some great attributes that we just don't have. The ability to run with the ball at pace while defenders bounce off him can cause chaos.

Reminds me of a young Zaha. Who was also raw as anything at the same age.

As longer term investments, Jackson, Mara and Edozie could develop into something very exciting.

Watching his highlight videos on youtube, seems like a good player who would suit a ralph team so perfect time to sign him.

21 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

You called???

Guido-Carillo-shirt-number-credit.png

Seeing that has had the positive effect of confirming that I am a lot more optimistic about the current Saints side than the version that existed at that juncture.  This was the equivalent of all the eggs in one basket and then finding out they were chocolate eggs left in a sauna.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Whenever i’ve seen him for Villa this season, he’s still as sharp as ever. Still manages to create space for a shot from nothing all the time. 

He created a very good assist laying the ball off with the centreback tight behind him but unable to get near the ball unless he fouled Ings.

Interesting that Alfie House is reporting that Saints have allegedly rejected loan bids for Mara from Strasbourg, Lorient and Augsburg (https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23257004.southampton-reportedly-reject-three-advances-take-striker-loan/). If true, it seems odd that that this doesn't seem to have been used as part of the negotiations with Lorient to get Moffi.

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Either a masterstroke or the Gambian Joe Aribo?

On the topic of Aribo, where's he in the pecking order now? Behind JWP, Elyounoussi and Edozie for players just behind the striker, possibly A. Armstrong and Djenepo now following their showing's last week. Then that's just the players who he was already competing with. You'd imagine Orsic will take up one of the attacking position's and push him further down, while Alcaraz also plays the attacking midfield and will be looking for first team football. Then, if Jackson comes in, that's again one of the attacking midfield position's gone. 

Seems like Aribo won't work out here. Signed for buttons, but he just doesn't fit an energetic, battling side. Had it good in a luxury team in a league with little competition at Rangers.

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Think SR are looking at it from a different approach, don't improve our strikers conversions but increase their chances instead.

Clever.

Che needs 5 chances to score, so better to create 5 chances per game compared to the 2 we get now.

• Like 1

So much for Premier League experience, going for an unproven 21 year old who has hardly found the net in 30+ games.

I’d have expected far better for £20m. A gamble on wether he comes good is one we cannot afford in our position right now, we need guaranteed goals, proven goalscorer.

As much as a backward step it may seem, of the targets spoken about recently, Ings is far better than any, especially compared to £20m on this guy, you’d get Ings for a snip of that price. I hope I’m wrong if this goes through.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Ings may have only scored 6 but he has played significantly fewer minutes than most if not all of the leading scorers. 136 minutes per goal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

(not that I think we will sign him but just saying that he is still a very effective goalscorer)

Ings is a still decent and will probably still be more clinical than che long after he has retired!  Yes he isn’t the future and may not be quiet the player that left but as shown in the stats he would certainly improve the team.  Would be so nice to have a striker who you think will actually score when the chance comes!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Ings is a still decent and will probably still be more clinical than che long after he has retired!  Yes he isn’t the future and may not be quiet the player that left but as shown in the stats he would certainly improve the team.  Would be so nice to have a striker who you think will actually score when the chance comes!

We dont need to worry about the future, got plenty of YHGTIers already for that, we need someone now who can come in an score 10-12 goals in the last 19 games to keep us up. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

We dont need to worry about the future, got plenty of YHGTIers already for that, we need someone now who can come in an score 10-12 goals in the last 19 games to keep us up. 

Ings and Wood.  No chance whatsoever, but you'd bank on those two to keep you in the league.  Knowing our luck that will be Forest or West Ham's spin of the wheel.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Gone the young route again, with possible re-sale value if he does well, rather than experienced and proven. That being, I cannot imagine we are looking for an ST on top of this N.Jackson purchase.

It doesn’t help us with the situation we are in now, we need whomever comes in to hit the ground running, like you said, score 10+ goals to win us the points to keep us up, sorry, just can’t see it with N.Jackson 😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Medical in next 24hrs, £18m fee agreedScreenshot_20230117-161637_Samsung Internet.jpg

Funny, I watched one video where he looked very average. Just watched a different video in which he looks a bag of tricks and scores a fair few goals including a superb overhead kick. He's growing on me 🙂

• Like 1