The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

22 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Gerrard? Are you serious?

He's an appalling manager who has only been given jobs purely because of his reputation as a player. He was a hopeless failure with Villa and was rightly sacked. What on Earth makes you think he would be decent for us? 

I get all that, but he at least has top flight experience. If it was Jones or Gerrard, I'd grudgingly take Gerrard.

• Confused 2

I think it’s clear why Jones is coming here. 
Have you seen the LTFC forums? They are shocking! 
Apparently there’s an interview with him that he said that he was looking forward to getting his name around the forum and he’s already had a chat with Steve Grant, though he had to buy the beers. He can’t wait for Turkish to come up with a song and he,s aiming for the banner alongside Keegan. 
“Luton’s a great club but their forums let them down badly, there’s only so much blind navigation you can take and to be honest, when I saw the Saints Web and saw the sort of guys this site attracts, well, that was it really “ 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Any chance can post it’s behind pay wall.

We won 4 from 28 under Ralph the bar is very low for Jones. The Villa game away was one of the worst performances I have ever seen.

The Chelsea home performance last year was abysmal. Plus those other 2 games!

We now are run by low rent morons like Semmens , Steele and co who treat fans like an inconvenience.

Why is anyone surprised we have gone for Luton’s manager?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

There’s nothing wrong with him being religious. But after reading this article would you be happy with a manager who consults God on footballing matters?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/christianity-football-faith-nathan-jones-luton-town-137163

Im really looking forward to seeing MLGs view on Nathan Jones.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, egg said:

I get all that, but he at least has top flight experience. If it was Jones or Gerrard, I'd grudgingly take Gerrard.

That makes no sense whatsoever. You would rather take a manager that has proven he can't manage in the PL (and probably wouldn't want the job anyway because little old Southampton are below his station) over one who hasn't yet had that chance? 

I know very little about Nathan Jones, but if SR really have been watching him for a while and have approached him before then they obviously see something in his skillset that makes them think he would be a good fit for the club's philosophy. Give me that over a failed PL manager with an over-inflated ego who has thus far traded solely on his playing reputation and would ditch us for a bigger club at the very first opportunity any day. Just because he's never managed in the PL before doesn't automatically make him a worse option.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 6

There’s nothing wrong with him being religious. But after reading this article would you be happy with a manager who consults God on footballing matters?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/christianity-football-faith-nathan-jones-luton-town-137163

I agree, God is convinced that 3 at the back is the only way to play and promotes zonal marking at corners which can be a nightmare for players used to man to man; however one postitive is that He would definitely advise against the Salisu long throws.

If Jones is who we go for, he gets my support no different than any other manager has until they've showed ineptitude (I think I backed Pellegrino for the shortest length of time as it was obvious we were terrible pretty quickly). However this is not a 'coup' in my mind, this is a manager that I have reservations over, not least whether he'll be able to handle big egos of Premier League players on £100k a week with no Premier League experience and a failed stint at Stoke on his CV. In a season we are looking at the drop he is definitely not who I would have chosen, and we can't afford to be picky with only 24 games remaining, most of them tough. But this is Sports Republic money and they can appoint anyone they see fit... I just hope it's us fans that don't suffer from the decision.

However as I said, if we appoint him I support him and I strongly hope my reservations about him prove unfounded. Sometimes a manager is a perfect fit for a club - maybe he's ours... who knows.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. You would rather take a manager that has proven he can't manage in the PL (and probably wouldn't want the job anyway because little old Southampton are below his station) over one who hasn't yet had that chance? 

I know very little about Nathan Jones, but if SR really have been watching him for a while and have approached him before then they obviously see something in his skillet that makes them think he would be a good fit for the club's philosophy. Give me that over a failed PL manager with an over-inflated ego who has thus far traded solely on his playing reputation and would ditch us for a bigger club at the very first opportunity any day. Just because he's never managed in the PL before doesn't automatically make him a worse option.

What confuses you about preferring a manager with top flight experience in Scotland and England to someone with no such experience as a manager or player? Don't get me wrong, the option of tried and struggled or a high risk experiment ain't a great choice, but on balance, I'd have been slightly less concerned with Gerrard who failed at Villa than a bloke who failed at Stoke. 

What's Jones done that makes him more impressive to you than Gerrard. Was it his recent 4-O defeat to Watford?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

What confuses you about preferring a manager with top flight experience in Scotland and England to someone with no such experience as a manager or player? Don't get me wrong, the option of tried and struggled or a high risk experiment ain't a great choice, but on balance, I'd have been slightly less concerned with Gerrard who failed at Villa than a bloke who failed at Stoke. 

What's Jones done that makes him more impressive to you than Gerrard. Was it his recent 4-O defeat to Watford?

Like I said, I don't know enough about Jones to judge myself, but SR have clearly done their homework on him and see something in his approach to man-management that makes them believe he would be a good fit. I would much rather they did that than spunk a load of money making a knee-jerk 'big name' appointment just to appease a few fans. Those kind of appointments never end well.

Everybody has to start somewhere. Just because Jones hasn't yet proven himself in the PL doesn't mean he isn't capable. It's a gamble, I agree, but it's one that could pay dividends. I just don't see any way that Gerrard would actually be any better for us right now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

If there is a God I'm pretty sure he has more important things to deal with than assisting some guy managing a football club. 

Well he apparently moves in mysterious ways.

What concerns me is when we lose and NJ has the easy get-out of just claiming it's all part of God's plan.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Like I said, I don't know enough about Jones to judge myself, but SR have clearly done their homework on him and see something in his approach to man-management that makes them believe he would be a good fit. I would much rather they did that than spunk a load of money making a knee-jerk 'big name' appointment just to appease a few fans. Those kind of appointments never end well.

Everybody has to start somewhere. Just because Jones hasn't yet proven himself in the PL doesn't mean he isn't capable. It's a gamble, I agree, but it's one that could pay dividends. I just don't see any way that Gerrard would actually be any better for us right now.

SR people did their homework on the players we signed and some of them aren't PL ready so let's not assume that their judgement is solid. Moreover, we can't risk this - we're staring relegation in the face. We need a manager who'll command respect, and knows the league and it's players. Jones ain't that man imo. Don't get me wrong, Gerrard ain't the man I'd choose given the whole market, but if it was him or Jones, I see him as the least risky. Regardless, it ain't our pick, and I'll get behind Jones brand of 352/532 longball football and hope for the best. 

Gone are the days when a panel of people would get together and choose a manager.

This is a decision in bringing Jones to the club from one person and nobody else.
It’s almost like we are a toy to him and he can do what he wants.

Expect some major changes within as some are NOT happy and I pray personal this appointment don’t go ahead as it will be a disaster.

PS such a shame we never got Eddie Howe in only for Ralph to win 2 and draw one of the games as the board changed its mind as Semmens demanded they had the right man already (FACT - Saints36 and don’t doubt me)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Maybe he got an email with the subject line ‘The Saints want you’ and he’s now got the wrong end of the stick.

This has to be peak spazweb

Writing the bloke of before he’s even had a chance. He’s done really well with Luton with bugger all money and by all accounts knows how to get a young squad playing. 

People writing SR off also need to give their heads a wobble. They’ve clearly done their research on him and see him as a good fit. It’s not like they’re simply sticking a finger in the air and guessing! 

Ankerson has spent his life doing this so in all fairness, I trust him infinitely more than I do a bunch of retards on a forum. 

Plus, the fact that he’s a Christian will have mlg spitting bullets. So that’s hilarious. 

However, he “doesn’t post here anymore” so I guess we’ll never know. 

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

SR people did their homework on the players we signed and some of them aren't PL ready so let's not assume that their judgement is solid. Moreover, we can't risk this - we're staring relegation in the face. We need a manager who'll command respect, and knows the league and it's players. Jones ain't that man imo. Don't get me wrong, Gerrard ain't the man I'd choose given the whole market, but if it was him or Jones, I see him as the least risky. Regardless, it ain't our pick, and I'll get behind Jones brand of 352/532 longball football and hope for the best. 

Think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Out of interest though - what makes you assume Jones wouldn't command respect just because he hasn't played or managed (so far) at the top level? Plenty of successful football managers have had less than stellar playing careers, and simply being a good player doesn't mean you will make a good manager. I have an awful lot of respect for my manager at work, but he's never done my job and has no technical understanding of it whatsoever. What makes him effective and able to command respect is his ability to communicate and motivate people. I've also worked for many people in the past who have been promoted to management positions just because they were good at doing the hands-on work, and who turned out to be awful managers because it's an entirely different skill.

• Like 4

I can definitely see the attributes Sport Republic like in him, given his success at luton punching above their weight.

Think any manager would have been a gamble as they would either be (an existing prem failure(gerrard), a unproven in the UK continental manager (pellegrino etc) or a successful manager in the championship with no prem experience. Let's just hope Ankerson's judgement is much better than our recent history of choices. Hoping he ends up being a Strachanesque manmanagement success story rather than a Luggy disaster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Out of interest though - what makes you assume Jones wouldn't command respect just because he hasn't played or managed (so far) at the top level? Plenty of successful football managers have had less than stellar playing careers, and simply being a good player doesn't mean you will make a good manager. I have an awful lot of respect for my manager at work, but he's never done my job and has no technical understanding of it whatsoever. What makes him effective and able to command respect is his ability to communicate and motivate people. I've also worked for many people in the past who have been promoted to management positions just because they were good at doing the hands-on work, and who turned out to be awful managers because it's an entirely different skill.

It's a bit different managing a department at a local council than it is managing a group of young, egotistical, proffesional sportsmen playing at and elite level to be fair.

• Like 2

I made the mistake of watching a few post match interviews last night. Fuck me, it was like Trainspotting set in Rhyl. You remember how Claude Puel’s laid back Gallic drawl split the fan base, turn that on its head, turn up to 75rpm and you’ve got our Nathan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

So people don't want him, but the best alternative suggested in recent posts was dour Gerrard who did shit and apparently would see us as below him! 

Any manager mentioned below Poch would be risk. We all regularly see managers with decent track record fail and vice versa. I can see the appeal of him, and the risk and choose to be optimistic with the fresh start, but who knows

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

I think it’s clear why Jones is coming here. 
Have you seen the LTFC forums? They are shocking! 
Apparently there’s an interview with him that he said that he was looking forward to getting his name around the forum and he’s already had a chat with Steve Grant, though he had to buy the beers. He can’t wait for Turkish to come up with a song and he,s aiming for the banner alongside Keegan. 
“Luton’s a great club but their forums let them down badly, there’s only so much blind navigation you can take and to be honest, when I saw the Saints Web and saw the sort of guys this site attracts, well, that was it really “ 

Hey pal, we've got the song for Nathan nailed already, it's the old Bananarama classic Nathan Jones.

I've penned a classic for Rasmus though, to the tune of Hans Christen Andersen...

I'm Rasmus Ankersen

I've many a tell to tell

And though im a data geek i tell them rather well, 

I'll give you stats and every XG, when i have a moment free

im Rasmus Ankersen

Ankesen that me.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

So people don't want him, but the best alternative suggested in recent posts was dour Gerrard who did shit and apparently would see us as below him! 

Any manager mentioned below Poch would be risk. We all regularly see managers with decent track record fail and vice versa. I can see the appeal of him, and the risk and choose to be optimistic with the fresh start, but who knows

I've not seen anyone, anywhere say they want Gerrard but you be you.

9 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

To be honest I’d take Dyche all day long over Jones, as a tactician, man manager and what he could eek out of this side for the next six months. That’s the reality check of the last 18 hours. It may be that this is all a clever ruse by Ankersen, but more likely we have given him too much credit as what passes for the SFC brains trust. 

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks this is a positive step needs their head seeing to. It is clearly the only type of manager we can attract at the moment and a cheap option. 

As for suggesting SR have done their homework - in case you missed it it is being reported that SR are looking to wall street to fund an £80m loan that they can take out against the clubs assets.

Wake up amd smell the coffee you mug 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's a bit different managing a department at a local council than it is managing a group of young, egotistical, proffesional sportsmen playing at and elite level to be fair.

Of course it's a bit different (I don't work for a local council BTW), but the principle is still the same. Respect has to be earned. 

I would rather we had a conscientious manager who works hard to earn the respect of the players than an arrogant one who assumes he will get it just because of his playing reputation. From what little I have read about Jones, he appears to be the former. 

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Gerrard? Are you serious?

He's an appalling manager who has only been given jobs purely because of his reputation as a player. He was a hopeless failure with Villa and was rightly sacked. What on Earth makes you think he would be decent for us? 

I don’t want Gerrard either but he did take a pretty average Rangers squad to a European final, he’s done more than Nathan fucking Jones. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't know whether or not he'd get the respect of the dressing room. As I've said, it's a risky experiment that imo we shouldn't be taking, and don't have to. I'd stake my house on the fact that Gerrard is much more likely to get the respect of the dressing room, and quickly, than Jones who was a lower league journeyman who couldn't cut it at bloody Stoke. 

As for the rest, you're comparing an apple to an orchard. My staff respect me, but a team of premier league millionaires wouldn't if i strolled into the dressing room. 

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I don’t want Gerrard either but he did take a pretty average Rangers squad to a European final, he’s done more than Nathan fucking Jones. 

Bingo. I was more inspired by our appointment of Dave Jones back in the day. The bloke may be great, but it feels like putting all your cash on 13 then spinning the wheel and closing your eyes whilst crossing your fingers. 

From the Telegraph today.

In his spells with Luton and Stoke City, Jones has proved box office at the side of the pitch, constantly in motion and so emotionally attached that he wears plasters over his fingers to prevent him from chewing his nails during matches

Should be amusing as Adams misses yet another sitter.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

To be honest I’d take Dyche all day long over Jones, as a tactician, man manager and what he could eek out of this side for the next six months. That’s the reality check of the last 18 hours. It may be that this is all a clever ruse by Ankersen, but more likely we have given him too much credit as what passes for the SFC brains trust. 

I would take Klopp over Jones but like Dyche I doubt he would come here

I usually accept what the club do as they know more about what is going on but like most I do not think this appointment is going to save us from relegation

As I have said elsewhere it makes some sense if the club has accepted relegation and wants Jones to bring us up instead of getting in a PL manager and sacking him in May

Going into the Championship may not be a bad if we can keep the young players and see them develop along with some of our own youngsters

I did enjoy being in the League 1 and the Championship a few years ago a winning trip to Wembley lots of other wins cheaper tickets and less crowds

3 minutes ago, John B said:

I would take Klopp over Jones but like Dyche I doubt he would come here

I usually accept what the club do as they know more about what is going on but like most I do not think this appointment is going to save us from relegation

As I have said elsewhere it makes some sense if the club has accepted relegation and wants Jones to bring us up instead of getting in a PL manager and sacking him in May

Going into the Championship may not be a bad if we can keep the young players and see them develop along with some of our own youngsters

I did enjoy being in the League 1 and the Championship a few years ago a winning trip to Wembley lots of other wins cheaper tickets and less crowds

I think Dyche and many more experienced managers would bite our hand off John, if we got anywhere near what we were paying Ralph. My impression in the last 18 hours is that we are now going bargain basement. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

In his spells with Luton and Stoke City, Jones has proved box office at the side of the pitch, constantly in motion and so emotionally attached that he wears plasters over his fingers to prevent him from chewing his nails during matches

Probably has to have a wank at half time…

14 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You choosing to edit out the “…before the World Cup period” only makes you look more of a tool than you already do 🤣

Um. He has gone before the World Cup period. Which you said he wouldn't, pretending to be In the Know. Which you clearly aren't.

18 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Down to the fucking knuckles 

• Haha 1