James Ward-Prowse

Roger

1 hour ago, 64saint said:

34.5 yds.....1.23 seconds ,= 57.4mph.  unless my CSE grade 3 in maths 1970 has let me down 😏

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

It was more like 1.2 seconds.

I was working on the earlier figures of 35.4m/2.38 secs so something around 60mph would seem more likely.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It was more like 1.2 seconds.

Yeah, probably so.  I just made my figures up (guessed) to be honest.  If you were there to witness it, it was almost as if time stood still.  When it hit the back of the net there was also a very short moment in time where everybody thought 'did he just do that?' Then bedlam ensued for a while, great moment to witness. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Micky said:

Yeah, probably so.  I just made my figures up (guessed) to be honest.  If you were there to witness it, it was almost as if time stood still.  When it hit the back of the net there was also a very short moment in time where everybody thought 'did he just do that?' Then bedlam ensued for a while, great moment to witness. 

👏👍

1 hour ago, Micky said:

I’m jealous.

Have to credit for him scoring probably the best goal of his life and he just turned round and ran back to halfway line to get the game going again to try and get something out of the game.

And yeh if JWP played for a team the level of Man Utd when Beckham was playing he'd easily have the record I think by now. 

Arguably best free kick taker in the world, and certainly top 3 with maybe Messi being better than him. 

9 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Yesterday was JWP's best for me. Unexpected, ridiculous movement and as far as I know, the first time he's tried that in a match? Wonder if he'll try again or just leave that one perfect like MLT did with the flick up and volley. 

Well, i reckon it depends on where the ball is. The one yesterday was all about speed which helps create that squirrelly movement side to side when hit properly. If i recall, the wolves didnt line up much of a wall, and not at 10 yards. but at that distance, a wall is not all that effective.

the closer they are,  it is more about getting them up over the wall, then down quickly and tucked high in the corner.. have to take a lot off the ball.

Edited by SaintTex

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Hey Mickey - thanks for posting that. What a great watch. I reckon yesterday's free kick probably added another £10m to his value, just in case anyone's thinking of knocking on our door for him. He's a Saints Legend!

Gotta laugh.

Gareth Crooks team of the week was talking about Coady for England then adds JWP should be a shoe in for Liverpool. What are they waiting for as they need him badly. What a c**t!

Also why was Carlos FK better? Because you were directly behind the hall unlike JWP you were slightly left side which does not show you the true flight of it.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Gotta laugh.

Gareth Crooks team of the week was talking about Coady for England then adds JWP should be a shoe in for Liverpool. What are they waiting for as they need him badly. What a c**t!

Also why was Carlos FK better? Because you were directly behind the hall unlike JWP you were slightly left side which does not show you the true flight of it.

It seems odd, Southampton have never gets the respect we deserve from people in the media, they seem to see us as a non footballing town who should just be grateful we're anywhere near the premier league, it's the reason none of our players get a real look in for the England team, the comment from crooks above just highlights it, why doesn't he say the same thing about Coady, it's a total lack of respect and why coonts like him in the media shouldn't even have a job

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Garth Crooks has absolutely no idea what day it is, dreadful pundit. I don't bother winding myself up about him.

Yeah, agreed. No pointing taking anything he says seriously, If i ever come across his stuff I see it as a bit of a parody really. 99% of fans think the same.

It's the same in all walks of life really, you look at certain people and wonder how the hell they've made a career out of being shit at something.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

I really can't see us selling JWP even for 100m as he is seen as that important. Not just for the team now but for the story/culture of our club, in that you can make a successful career here from being here on the academy etc etc. 

The link to Liverpool is typically lazy, by a pundit fixated on the biggest clubs and pretending that he watches matches in detail. 

The most likely player I see Liverpool spending c.100m+ on is Kalvin Phillips.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I really can't see us selling JWP even for 100m as he is seen as that important. Not just for the team now but for the story/culture of our club, in that you can make a successful career here from being here on the academy etc etc. 

The link to Liverpool is typically lazy, by a pundit fixated on the biggest clubs and pretending that he watches matches in detail. 

I think there is probably a gentleman's agreement in place to sell him at the end of the season if a top 6/4 club comes in for him, the new contract last season was just to fend off villa and keep him for another season.... or he could love it here and want to stay his whole career and win nothing

While Liverpool would be a great move, is Prowsie ready to claim a first team slot there?

When that fails you end up at Brighton.

And Danny Ings has kindly given every player a great lesson in what can happen if you abandon the chance to remain a cult hero multi-millionaire and instead take a sideways move just to be a little bit richer.

Possibly one of the worst career moves in recent times.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

We'd sell for £100m, even the most avid Ward-Prowse fan (probably me) would take that in a heartbeat. Every player has their price and his is not that.

Phillips imo is a £40-50m player and definitely worse than JWP. £100m would be madness for him. Rice is probably gettable for £80m and he is a level above Prowsey imo and well well clear of Phillips

• Like 2

As good as he now is for us, free kicks aside I'm still not convinced that JWP is good enough for a top 6 club based on his all round play. Although I can see the appeal for clubs like that given they're more likely to find themselves in big title/cup deciding moments and someone that good from dead balls can make such a difference. I could see him ending up as a squad player/utility man (a bit like James Milner) if he did end up going.

He's 28 this year so if he doesn't go in the summer, he probably will never get a 'big' move. 

• Like 1

He took them fairly regularly before scoring his first one and had quite a few near misses from memory! Also wasn't a nailed on starter for quite a while. Would have been Lambert (who scored a few) and probably Tadic (don't remember him scoring any) taking most of the others before I think. I think Van Dijk, Yoshida and Bertrand used to have a go too. Also remember Cedric randomly scoring one in Hughes' last game against Man United. 

5 minutes ago, Berkshire Saint said:

He took them fairly regularly before scoring his first one and had quite a few near misses from memory! Also wasn't a nailed on starter for quite a while. Would have been Lambert (who scored a few) and probably Tadic (don't remember him scoring any) taking most of the others before I think. I think Van Dijk, Yoshida and Bertrand used to have a go too. Also remember Cedric randomly scoring one in Hughes' last game against Man United. 

I dunno about Tadic but Betrand definitely took them frequently. I think I remember Classie taking a few and trying to go under the wall.

Redmond actually took a few in pre-season and did surprisingly well.

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

We'd sell for £100m, even the most avid Ward-Prowse fan (probably me) would take that in a heartbeat. Every player has their price and his is not that.

Phillips imo is a £40-50m player and definitely worse than JWP. £100m would be madness for him. Rice is probably gettable for £80m and he is a level above Prowsey imo and well well clear of Phillips

I think your opinion of Phillips is wrong. Let's see what happens in the summer!!

11 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

It's interesting that the first wasn't scored until 2016 and the vast majority have been scored in the last 3 years, which suggest that he wasn't a regular taker earlier in his career.

He was, he just seemed to have perfected how to get the ball exactly one yard over the angle of crossbar and post, they all ended up there. He seems to have fixed this issue now.

41 minutes ago, TWar said:

Without trying to get into a slanging match, I think you are grossly underestimating Phillips. I never used to rate him, until I saw him at the euros, where I thought he was brilliant. 

Of course all my opinion, but as an out and out defensive midfielder, Phillips is better than Prowse and I think he’s arguably better on the ball (distribution) than him as well. 

Obviously Prowse offers something in set plays / goal threat that Phillips doesn’t. 

Where prowse shines, which may give him a edge on Phillips, is his fitness. He’s never injured where as Phillips gets a lot of little niggles and injuries. This may put a big club offering a large sum (that it would take) to get him. 

in my opinion (and I’m sure I’ve missed someone), Rice, Bellingham, Phillips are England’s 3 stand out deeper playing CM’s. With Henderson, prowse, Gallagher etc. Slightly below them. (I’ve intentionally excluded like likes of Mount as I see him more of a 10, than a 6). 

Put it this way, I don’t think Prowse will be going to the World Cup in December. If he does, he won’t be a starter like Phillips was at the euros. 

Another CM who’s having a very good season, is Will Hughes at Palace. 

Edited by Dman

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

Without trying to get into a slanging match, I think you are grossly underestimating Phillips. I never used to rate him, until I saw him at the euros, where I thought he was brilliant. 

Of course all my opinion, but as an out and out defensive midfielder, Phillips is better than Prowse and I think he’s arguably better on the ball (distribution) than him as well. 

Obviously Prowse offers something in set plays / goal threat that Phillips doesn’t. 

Where prowse shines, which may give him a edge on Phillips, is his fitness. He’s never injured where as Phillips gets a lot of little niggles and injuries. This may put a big club offering a large sum (that it would take) to get him. 

in my opinion (and I’m sure I’ve missed someone), Rice, Bellingham, Phillips are England’s 3 stand out deeper playing CM’s. With Henderson, prowse, Gallagher etc. Slightly below them. (I’ve intentionally excluded like likes of Mount as I see him more of a 10, than a 6). 

Put it this way, I don’t think Prowse will be going to the World Cup in December. If he does, he won’t be a starter like Phillips was at the euros. 

I think JWP is well ahead for passing, chance creation, dictating play, linking things. In my opinion Phillips is a decent DM and is mildly better in the tackle than JWP (although covers less ground so probably not as efficient). One of my main issues with England is that we have two very defensive mids in Phillips and Rice and neither play the ball well and it slows us right down.

Ideal England midfield for me is Rice (world class DM, one of England's best players and best DM we've had in years), Mount (absolutely class 8, fantastic at joining the front 3) and JWP (links play, dictates the game, is absolutely everywhere offering a tonne of cover, and his set pieces could easily win us atleast one game which is massive in a knock out tourney). With TAA, Stones, Maguire, Shaw behind them and Sterling Kane Foden in front that is one of the strongest teams in the world. Also, I do think eventually Bellingham will displace JWP as he is absolutely class and so young, will be immense in the future. The age of our superstars makes me think we will be an absolute force over the next decade.

I do agree though, good chance JWP doesn't make the squad let alone the starting 11 but that is because Southgate makes some god awful decisions. White and Tomori will probably miss out at the expense of Coady and Mings which, if we weren't so stacked so none of them will start much anyway, would boil my piss. Oh well.

Edited by TWar

44 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think your opinion of Phillips is wrong. Let's see what happens in the summer!!

That's fair, all opinions init. Leeds won't sell him I don't think and I don't think many top teams need a DM. Liverpool have Fabinho who is class, City Rodri, Chelsea Jorginho and Kovacic, Arsenal Partey. Only united are really looking and they are heavily linked with Rice. Spurs too I guess but Hojbjerg (whilst not great) is quite far from their biggest squad issue right now.

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

That's fair, all opinions init. Leeds won't sell him I don't think and I don't think many top teams need a DM. Liverpool have Fabinho who is class, City Rodri, Chelsea Jorginho and Kovacic, Arsenal Partey. Only united are really looking and they are heavily linked with Rice. Spurs too I guess but Hojbjerg (whilst not great) is quite far from their biggest squad issue right now.

Thats why I think it will be c.100m for Phillips, because Leeds don't want to sell, and because he doesn't actually want to leave (apparently, I live in and around Leeds fans and by all accounts he would like to stay his whole career). Only a massive offer will get him. 

Liverpool will be his likeliest destination as they will look beyond Firmino and Henderson and make another long term signing. 

Just now, MarkSFC said:

Thats why I think it will be c.100m for Phillips, because Leeds don't want to sell, and because he doesn't actually want to leave (apparently, I live in and around Leeds fans and by all accounts he would like to stay his whole career). Only a massive offer will get him. 

Liverpool will be his likeliest destination as they will look beyond Firmino and Henderson and make another long term signing. 

Fabinho is only 28 (I assume you mean as Firmino is a striker), Henderson does need replacing but he isn't a DM, he is much more of a box to box midfielder so I don't think Phillips would be appropriate to replace him.

5 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Agree - it's nonsense to even consider selling JWP - at almost any price. ..but WHAT price?     I'd  rate JWP above Grealish .... on all-round ability.  

Yet the Grealish move showed how an owner's wealth decides the value of a player, and is not based totally on the player's  "perceived talent" .  

Going from one " big club" ( read: rich owner ) we saw Grealish suddenly becoming worth £100 million and going to a genuine " big club " (also with a rich owner).

That is seen as "acceptable" as both clubs have a " reputation "...and lots of media coverage but no club would want to be seen paying that sort of money to

"lowly" Saints -  yet Prowsey's  " price "  continues to go up another £10 million - every time he sinks another free-kick masterpiece. 

A lot of people were  quick to criticise the £75 million deal for VvD (especially as he ONLY came via Southampton) but right now - that deal looks a " steal " for Liverpool.

These type of storylines abound and only help to fill column inches for lazy journalists on a wet day. 

IF .. a  MOMENT 22 situation ever occured with Prowsey,  we should recall that now, we also have (a "rich owner " ) who would surely be prepared to match any offer

in order to keep Prowsey happy enough to stay with Saints. 

On 15/01/2022 at 22:07, CylonKing said:

To be fair, when I first saw it on the highlights, that is what I thought. But then you realise it's not been deflected, just a very good free kick. Better than MLT? Has JWP missed a penalty yet?

One of his penalties hit the crossbar in a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53283289

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Agree - it's nonsense to even consider selling JWP - at almost any price. ..but WHAT price?     I'd  rate JWP above Grealish .... on all-round ability.  

Yet the Grealish move showed how an owner's wealth decides the value of a player, and is not based totally on the player's  "perceived talent" .  

Going from one " big club" ( read: rich owner ) we saw Grealish suddenly becoming worth £100 million and going to a genuine " big club " (also with a rich owner).

That is seen as "acceptable" as both clubs have a " reputation "...and lots of media coverage but no club would want to be seen paying that sort of money to

"lowly" Saints -  yet Prowsey's  " price "  continues to go up another £10 million - every time he sinks another free-kick masterpiece. 

A lot of people were  quick to criticise the £75 million deal for VvD (especially as he ONLY came via Southampton) but right now - that deal looks a " steal " for Liverpool.

These type of storylines abound and only help to fill column inches for lazy journalists on a wet day. 

IF .. a  MOMENT 22 situation ever occured with Prowsey,  we should recall that now, we also have (a "rich owner " ) who would surely be prepared to match any offer

in order to keep Prowsey happy enough to stay with Saints. 

Any chance of that again, in English?

• Sad 1

I'd agree with TWar there, Phillips to me is an out and out DM. I feel like his passing/playmaking ability seems a little over rated from what I have seen. He builds up Leeds play and is obviously important to them, but I feel like a lot of that reputation came from the championship more than the PL, I mean since they have been promoted he has scored one goal and got two assists. 

Defensively maybe he is better than JWP, but I am not sure he is as a good as a link player and he tends to sit for Leeds whereas JWP is box to box for us and more on the front foot intercepting and pressing. 

England for me with Rice and Phillips are too defensive with both in midfield, asking Phillips to push forward is making him do something he doesn't really do for his club. I'd personally say those two should be competing for the same spot and JWP should be competing with Bellingham and Henderson. The former is an amazing young talent but I think JWP should have gone to the Euros instead of the injured Henderson and I think he should take his spot for the World Cup if JWP keeps up his form. Henderson will be approaching 33 and has not been in form this year, plus seems to pick up a lot of injuries. Plus games in a short space of time, in likely a lot of heat, taking arguably the fittest and most consistently hard working centre-mid in the country seems to be a no brainer to me.  But I reckon Southgate will stick with his favourites and JWP will need injuries to get in. Though with Phillips and Henderson's injury record over the last 18 months it's likely they could be out, especially as everyone will be playing right up to the tournament, no gap to get fit. 

• Like 5

On 18/01/2022 at 07:54, tajjuk said:

I'd agree with TWar there, Phillips to me is an out and out DM. I feel like his passing/playmaking ability seems a little over rated from what I have seen. He builds up Leeds play and is obviously important to them, but I feel like a lot of that reputation came from the championship more than the PL, I mean since they have been promoted he has scored one goal and got two assists. 

Defensively maybe he is better than JWP, but I am not sure he is as a good as a link player and he tends to sit for Leeds whereas JWP is box to box for us and more on the front foot intercepting and pressing. 

England for me with Rice and Phillips are too defensive with both in midfield, asking Phillips to push forward is making him do something he doesn't really do for his club. I'd personally say those two should be competing for the same spot and JWP should be competing with Bellingham and Henderson. The former is an amazing young talent but I think JWP should have gone to the Euros instead of the injured Henderson and I think he should take his spot for the World Cup if JWP keeps up his form. Henderson will be approaching 33 and has not been in form this year, plus seems to pick up a lot of injuries. Plus games in a short space of time, in likely a lot of heat, taking arguably the fittest and most consistently hard working centre-mid in the country seems to be a no brainer to me.  But I reckon Southgate will stick with his favourites and JWP will need injuries to get in. Though with Phillips and Henderson's injury record over the last 18 months it's likely they could be out, especially as everyone will be playing right up to the tournament, no gap to get fit. 

Good post. Fully agree with everything above.

13 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

If JWP is or isn't the best free kick taker in the world, his free kick against wolves must be the best free kick ever taken in the world

Now I wouldn’t say that, but those who are claiming that he’s the best in the world at the moment will point to his consistency rather than individual goals.

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse