James Ward-Prowse

Roger

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

All of that, or £90m.

Tough choice....

JWP for me, good players attract good players, and if we have changed are recruting to poaching the good youth players from the bigger teams, we need to keep  the ones likely to attract those new ones and JWP is tht, as Liv Said JWP not being sold was one of the reasons he signed, he wants to play with JWP.

no way are Newcastle spending 90 mill this season on any players as the EPL and clubs have already blocked them doing a city to by pass FFP rules with state supported sponsers.

On 19/10/2021 at 10:32, skintsaint said:

90m would be mental money....even 60m is for JWP.

Clearly young players need " role models " and it's obvious that JWP's career has been an inspiration to many newcomers.

Prowsey himself says that he was inspired to practice free-kicks from a young age.... by watching  David Beckham.

We may not always agree with their choices, but one thing we have learned is that it isn't always the players who get " the best ratings" on

the pitch who help the team most, but those who DAJFU  in the dressing room by injecting confidence and encouraging the rest of the squad.  

On 06/10/2021 at 19:10, Nemi said:

Can’t see why this is very controversial and tbh there’s no shame on being on the level of Mark Noble, he’s a solid player Premier League player - very few will make it to that level. 

But if you wanna be a comfortable PL you can’t have someone like JWP (or Mark Noble) being classed as one of the best players cause that highlights that the quality is lacking in other areas. 

You can see how much West Ham have improved with players like Noble playing more of a peripheral role.

And clearly that showed in our more successful years between 2014-16; JWP was a squad player rather than first name on the team-sheet.

This is slightly disingenuous as Mark Noble is at the end of his career (34 - after 17 years at WH and over 500 appearances for them) and will retire at the end of this season - thus his legs have gone - comparing him to JWP who is 26 is a strange one

Edited by le_tiss

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

James got a fair bit of criticism for the red he received at Chelsea, so I thought it would be worth mentioning on his thread that he won a robust 50/50 in the Villa game to set up AA's goal. His competitive nature is a credit to his game. What's more important is competent referee's at this level. Don't ever change. 

I thought it was a harsh red personally, looked worse in slo-mo

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 12:16, TWar said:

I thought it was a harsh red personally, looked worse in slo-mo

It was a debateable only because he didn't make enough contact to cause serious injury. If it had been given as a straight red it wouldn't have been overturned becuase ultimately he was about an inch away from causing a serious injury - he was out of control, studs up, and travelling at speed - very nearly snapped his ankle But it wasn't done from a perspective of anything other than trying to win the ball. Regardless, it was a dumb tackle to have made and lost us the game.

Equally, with all that said and done - he does a great job for us in harrying and winding up opposition midfielders (the Armstrong tackle and pass from the weekend being a great example) - getting a sending off for the first time in i don't know how many seasons (assume its at least 3) isn't the end of the world. And further still, at least it happened in a game we should on paper expect to lose, than in one against a direct rival in the table etc.

Didn't make enough contact. Didn't injure the opponent. The opponent didn't role on the ground writhing in agony until required coloured card produced. 

It's all so subjected. What was once just a ref, is now a few peoples opinion, and its so unpredictable. 

I still hate var, it has added such a tiny amount to the infractions, that I'd be happy if they pulled it overnight. 

• Like 3

I think if it had hit his ankle it might have been fairer. Looked to my like his toe collided with the lower calf, didn't seem that dangerous to me. Also it wasn't at massive pace, like JWP dived in but I don't this there was much force. Thats what the slomo kind of misconstrues, there wasn't much force in the challenge imo. A yellow would have been fairer imo. Studs up yeah, but not much force, not much contact, and no real malice imo. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I think if it had hit his ankle it might have been fairer. Looked to my like his toe collided with the lower calf, didn't seem that dangerous to me. Also it wasn't at massive pace, like JWP dived in but I don't this there was much force. Thats what the slomo kind of misconstrues, there wasn't much force in the challenge imo. A yellow would have been fairer imo. Studs up yeah, but not much force, not much contact, and no real malice imo. 

It was very harsh. It was also deep in their half. Referees get an adrenaline buzz from sending people off. The trouble with VAR is that when the fouth official says they think the ref should re look at it the assumption is that they think they should be sent off.

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

And further still, at least it happened in a game we should on paper expect to lose, than in one against a direct rival in the table etc.

More than that, we ended up losing a game we would probably have lost anyway (yeah we were playing ok up to the card but Chelsea have the kind of quality to create goals out of nothing that we lack), we got two wins and a draw during his 3 game suspension, and he got an enforced rest and came back looking fitter and sharper having been a bit off form after missing the pre-season friendlies.

I thought it was harsh at the time, but in hindsight I think the ref actually did us a favour.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

More than that, we ended up losing a game we would probably have lost anyway (yeah we were playing ok up to the card but Chelsea have the kind of quality to create goals out of nothing that we lack), we got two wins and a draw during his 3 game suspension, and he got an enforced rest and came back looking fitter and sharper having been a bit off form after missing the pre-season friendlies.

I thought it was harsh at the time, but in hindsight I think the ref actually did us a favour.

Agree with most of that, except "we would probably have lost anyway". In fact we were arguably the better team and looking more dangerous after we equalised and before JWP was sent off. We'll never know of course, but Chelsea were running out of ideas until the sending off.

52 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Agree with most of that, except "we would probably have lost anyway". In fact we were arguably the better team and looking more dangerous after we equalised and before JWP was sent off. We'll never know of course, but Chelsea were running out of ideas until the sending off.

We were looking the better team but didn't look like scoring. Chelsea have players all across the park who can create something out of nothing, which we most certainly don't. We might well have held on for a draw, but like you say we'll never know.

13 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We were looking the better team but didn't look like scoring. Chelsea have players all across the park who can create something out of nothing, which we most certainly don't. We might well have held on for a draw, but like you say we'll never know.

In all probability, we would not have lost that game had he not been sent off. We were the better side and looking to get the winner ourselves.

Whereas, we did lose because of his sending off.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Any specific reasons he's taking less corners now?

Is he carrying an injury?

Unfortunately I think he is still taking the majority of corners albeit his delivery is abysmal. He used to whip them in with pace and bend but now he hits pathetic floaters that are food and drink to any goalkeeper and often lead to us being hit on the counter attack. He has lost his mojo and needs a spell on the subs bench because we looked a better side without him when he served his 3 match suspension. He seems sluggish and cost us the second goal at Arsenal when Redmond won the ball and JWP decided it would be a good idea to present it back to them. And don't get me started on his ridiculous decision for the free kick against Brighton. At present he is contributing very little to a struggling side so time he was dropped but we know Ralph won't do that.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Unfortunately I think he is still taking the majority of corners albeit his delivery is abysmal. He used to whip them in with pace and bend but now he hits pathetic floaters that are food and drink to any goalkeeper and often lead to us being hit on the counter attack. He has lost his mojo and needs a spell on the subs bench because we looked a better side without him when he served his 3 match suspension. He seems sluggish and cost us the second goal at Arsenal when Redmond won the ball and JWP decided it would be a good idea to present it back to them. And don't get me started on his ridiculous decision for the free kick against Brighton. At present he is contributing very little to a struggling side so time he was dropped but we know Ralph won't do that.

To be fair, we have no aerial threat anymore so his set pieces were always going to drop off in effectiveness.  Completely agree he could do with a break.

Today is the reason why he starts. We struggle for goals and his free-kicks are our get out of jail free card. I also think he's our best midfielder overall (that's a pretty low bar I know) although his corners are very average.

Edited by Disco Stu

On 16/12/2021 at 00:16, Disco Stu said:

Today is the reason why he starts. We struggle for goals and his free-kicks are our get out of jail free card. I also think he's our best midfielder overall (that's a pretty low bar I know) although his corners are very average.

When he was out and Redmond took them we actually looked dangerous.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2021 at 18:16, Disco Stu said:

i feel like we should methodically look to get the ball centrally 5 yards outside the penalty box and start looking to draw fouls. Seems like the slightest push in the back is called these days if the player just falls over the ball.

Get JWP 3 to 4 chances a match.

It's not exactly the "beautiful game", but we are scrapping here.

-

** oh, and are his corners average? Or do we just not have anyone on the roster that can get their head on the ball? It takes two to tango.

Edited by SaintTex

41 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

i feel like we should methodically look to get the ball centrally 5 yards outside the penalty box and start looking to draw fouls. Seems like the slightest push in the back is called these days if the player just falls over the ball.

-

** oh, and are his corners average? Or do we just not have anyone on the roster that can get their head on the ball? It takes two to tango.

I think that's the point though.  JWP's corners are very good for strong header-ers to attack around the 12 yard box or at the near post.  We don't have any strong header-ers so we shouldn't be taking those sorts of corners.  Either play it short - which works quite well with Tella's quick feet or try some sort of routine like a flick on or something.

42 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

-

Whoever takes the corners and however good they are, who have we got who can head a goal--Jack Stephens did once, didn't he? But who else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

-

Perhaps a bit of both. We do miss Vestergaards height when taking corners but I wouldn't say his corners have been particularly notable. He struggled to beat the first man quite a few times at the start of this season.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I think that's the point though.  JWP's corners are very good for strong header-ers to attack around the 12 yard box or at the near post.  We don't have any strong header-ers so we shouldn't be taking those sorts of corners.  Either play it short - which works quite well with Tella's quick feet or try some sort of routine like a flick on or something.

That's the key point right there, we don't attack them well enough. They are usually put in the right areas and with good pace, but we don't have a huge presence.

We had a much better set piece record last year because we had Vestergaaard in the side, he towered above everyone and we had a presence.

Stick JWP in a team with Halland up top and I reckon he'd get loads of assists. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dman said:

Today is the best ive seen him play in a long time. Goal aside (what a great finish that was, btw.) he was everywhere. 

more of the same please. 

He is certainly playing better when not being stuck at the back of the 4-2-2-2 with Romeu, where he looks ponderous and tends to play crab football. He is far better suited to playing further forward, as in the 4-1-4-1 against West Ham and whatever formation was used yesterday, evidenced by his goal (this is where he was played by Southgate too).

Hopefully Ralph has finally ditched his belief in the 4-2-2-2 system, as clearly it doesn't work with the squad of players at his disposal, and we see the best of James Ward-Prowse.

He's still not worth anything near £60m though...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Absolute class yet again - Prowsey is a proper leader :)

Agreed, glad he is appreciated by some on here. Funny thing is, he is worth about half what the new owners paid for everything,  stadium, land and all the players. Strange deal, well done Semmens and co.

• Like 1

Immense game from him today. A midfield of Romeu behind JWP and Diallo in a 3 looked very very strong. Wonder if there is a call for a 352/433 going forward, expecially with Broja playing his best work without a strike partner neccessarily.

• Like 3

Yep Jwp was a dynamo today.. was all over the pitch .. brilliant last ditch Tackle at the end .. best game I’ve seen diallo play .. and Romeu was a powerhouse too with some great passing thrown in from all 3 … they look formidable..!! 
Can’t see us signing Broja if he keeps this up .. strong 💪🏻 .. absolutely done the defender for his goal. 
driving Saturday..does anyone know anywhere decent to park to get in and out fairly sharpish out of Wolverhampton? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TWar said:

Immense game from him today. A midfield of Romeu behind JWP and Diallo in a 3 looked very very strong. Wonder if there is a call for a 352/433 going forward, expecially with Broja playing his best work without a strike partner neccessarily.

something like a 4–1(OR)-2(jwp&id)-1-2

what is pretty clear is that the 4-2-2-2 isn’t the best for for what we have available

On 09/01/2022 at 12:24, Matthew Le God said:

Player value is separate from club value.

Surely it contributes as they are still a club asset

If we had a squad full of players on 6 month contracts we would be considerably less valuable then if we had the squad we had now for instance

You’re just being pedantic for the sake of it here

8 hours ago, TWar said:

It's been painfully obvious that 4222 leaves us exposed in midfield. A midfield 3 is definitely the way forward, whether that's with a back 3 or 4. The 352 suits us quite well because our wide-backs are generally very good  but our wide forwards are generally not very good. If we can add an upgrade to our centre backs and GK and keep hold of Broja we could become a really dangerous team.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, benjii said:

It's been painfully obvious that 4222 leaves us exposed in midfield. A midfield 3 is definitely the way forward, whether that's with a back 3 or 4. The 352 suits us quite well because our wide-backs are generally very good  but our wide forwards are generally not very good. If we can add an upgrade to our centre backs and GK and keep hold of Broja we could become a really dangerous team.

I like the 4222 when we have Stu as our AM, I think some of our other attacking mids aren't so good at helping control possession.

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse