James Ward-Prowse

Roger

13 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

One of, it not the best central midfielder outside the 'big six' for me. Perhaps pipped to it by Rice but his contribution is enormous. 

Yeah Rice, Ndidi, Bissouma and JWP are probably the top mids in the league outside the big 6 (and are better than what united and spurs have, as well as Arsenal minus Partey)

• Like 1

The longer the season goes on the better he gets and that was the ultimate all round midfield display from him and he must be in the top few English CMs right now.
His fitness levels are unbelievable and he does more running at the end of a match than anyone.

I don't think anybody will be asking the question of "what if Newcastle come in with a big offer?" now.

Edited by CAH61
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah Rice, Ndidi, Bissouma and JWP are probably the top mids in the league outside the big 6 (and are better than what united and spurs have, as well as Arsenal minus Partey)

You forgot Phillips. I'm sure I've seen people on here saying he's better than Prowsey!

7 minutes ago, saintquin said:

You forgot Phillips. I'm sure I've seen people on here saying he's better than Prowsey!

Imo Phillips is a bit overrated. The likes of him, Neves, Allan, Hojbjerg, and Moutinho are the tier below the ones listed. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 23:08, TWar said:

JWP is class, always has been since Ralph came in despite what some on here might claim as he isn't manly enough

I said to my son-in-law at the Brentford game, that I don't understand the way that JWP is dismissed or underrated by some on here. He is not flashy, but he is a superb player. If he was playing for another team, people here would be heaping praise on him and wishing he played for us....

• Like 4

What I love about that free kick was every keeper moves to his right knowing that’s where he’s putting the bend.

The Wolves keeper starting to go that way and was flat footed as JWP took it to the other corner. Surely now James will mix the two options to give him a better chance.

Stunning and come on Southgate don’t be a twat and leave him out the 11.

• Like 4

Is there or has there been a better free kick taker in world football? I’m not sure there is, every single one is on the money. Almost as good as a penalty to us. 

Beckham is the only one who comes close, but to be honest, I think JWP is better than him. 

todays was a complete joke. 

• Like 1

JWP is a great free kick taker, probably in the top 2 in the World right now, but still a way to go to be considered greatest of all time. Beckham is still ahead right now, and the best ever , I think, is probably Juninho Pernambucano who scored over 70 direct free kicks in his career (JWP is on 12 in the league, and a handful more from cup games)

Does anyone have a comparison of conversion rate for him and Beckham? JWP’s conversion rate feels like it’s unbelievable, we hardly get any free kicks in shooting positions and yet whenever we do, it’s a goal. I’m sure Beckham would’ve had many more opportunities from shooting positions, given the team he played for.

5 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

To be fair, when I first saw it on the highlights, that is what I thought. But then you realise it's not been deflected, just a very good free kick. Better than MLT? Has JWP missed a penalty yet?

He missed one playing for England (although did put in the rebound). He's missed one or two for Saints too.

He's a bit 1 dimensional with penalties: they all seem to go for the goalkeeper's right hand corner (although usually very well struck).

Direct free kicks: world class, best in the world surely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

He missed one playing for England (although did put in the rebound). He's missed one or two for Saints too.

He's a bit 1 dimensional with penalties: they all seem to go for the goalkeeper's right hand corner (although usually very well struck).

I also though his free kicks were one dimensional too as they always go to the keepers right. 
That free kick surprised me just as it did the wolves keeper. If you watch closely he takes a step to the right fully expecting to go and jump in ward prowse s usual corner. 
That free kick is incredible

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saints foreva said:

He's missed plenty. 

We went through a phase of missing loads and couldn't remember if JWP was a culprit or not. Think he may have improved somewhat! We have been blessed (as has been mentioned many times over the years) with MLT, Beattie and SRL for our penalties.

9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

It was a very special strike at many levels.  I haven't see JWP get that left-to-right curve from a free kick before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Does anyone have a comparison of conversion rate for him and Beckham? JWP’s conversion rate feels like it’s unbelievable, we hardly get any free kicks in shooting positions and yet whenever we do, it’s a goal. I’m sure Beckham would’ve had many more opportunities from shooting positions, given the team he played for.

On the other hand, JWP has already made  more Premier League appearances in his career than David Beckham had...

Not taking anything away from Juninho but I would be interested to see the calibre of teams he was scoring free kicks against.

I’ve delved into his top 13 strikes video on YouTube again and they’re mostly against second rate Ligue 1 sides (especially considering this is nearly 20 years ago) and international minnows like UAE when playing for Brazil.

For JWP to be this consistently brilliant in a Premier League that has evolved leaps and bounds in quality since Beckham’s era, I would say he’s up there with the greatest ever.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

On the other hand, JWP has already made  more Premier League appearances in his career than David Beckham had...

On the other, other hand Beckham played in a far better team who would have played far more football in the danger zone for free kicks. Any way the statistics are used JWP free kick record so far is amazing. Enjoy it he plays for us.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dman said:

Is there or has there been a better free kick taker in world football? I’m not sure there is, every single one is on the money. Almost as good as a penalty to us. 

Beckham is the only one who comes close, but to be honest, I think JWP is better than him. 

todays was a complete joke. 

And yet if you had your way he wouldn't even be on the pitch! According to you Diallo is a much better player and we play much better as a team when JWP isn't in it, or something like that......  🙄 (all demised after Prowsey missed his first game for 2 seasons). 🤣

52 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Not taking anything away from Juninho but I would be interested to see the calibre of teams he was scoring free kicks against.

I’ve delved into his top 13 strikes video on YouTube again and they’re mostly against second rate Ligue 1 sides (especially considering this is nearly 20 years ago) and international minnows like UAE when playing for Brazil.

For JWP to be this consistently brilliant in a Premier League that has evolved leaps and bounds in quality since Beckham’s era, I would say he’s up there with the greatest ever.

No doubt about it

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

Which isn’t at all relevant to who is the better free kick taker… It doesn’t matter if JWP plays 1000 more games, if he takes half as many free kicks from shooting positions. Almost certain that a Man United team of the early 2000’s was getting plenty more free kicks than this Saints team. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Hmm. About 33mph. Not as fast as you might think.

It was quicker than that, I’m sure When they’ve done this sort of stuff before is shows a average strikes a ball at about 70-80 odd MPH. Although amusingly I found this whilst having a look, David Hirst 114mph, the only thing he could do quicker was neck a pint 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/feb/14/theknowledge.sport

Edited by Turkish

3 hours ago, Minsk said:

And yet if you had your way he wouldn't even be on the pitch! According to you Diallo is a much better player and we play much better as a team when JWP isn't in it, or something like that......  🙄 (all demised after Prowsey missed his first game for 2 seasons). 🤣

I’m not sure what your point is here, but personally I wouldn’t pick someone on free kick ability alone. 

No one has said Diallo is a better player. If he makes us better as a team is up for debate though. 

4 hours ago, Maggie May said:

I don't think standard of opposition really plays a part when talking about dead ball situatons. Whether you're playing Real Madrid or the Dog & Duck it's still a case of getting it over/around the wall and on target.

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m not sure what your point is here, but personally I wouldn’t pick someone on free kick ability alone. 

No one has said Diallo is a better player. If he makes us better as a team is up for debate though. 

Holy cow, please tell me you are not serious?   He is our best player by some way and I, for one, feel the same way about JWP that I did about MLT: thankful he plays for us and has remained loyal.

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse