James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Le Tiss's was amazing and encapsulated his genius, only a handful of players in the history of the game would have thought of doing that, let alone pulling it off.

But that Roberto Carlos freekick was something else, one of the purest hits ever seen, I remember trying replicate for years hoping you'd just one time get that sweet swerve. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another great performance from him tonight (vs spurs). Two cracking assists, covered a lot of ground, drives the team on, and his fitness is superb.

As Ralph said post match, he doesn't need a captain that leads with shouting, he needs one that leads by example. I know some on here might call that "pony", but he's been absolutely vital for us recently.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 11

Bit of an extra tool received from him today in those open play assists. Such a weapon in all parts of our play.

Anyone who wants to sell him for less than £100m is daft. Easily up in the Rice figures.

My opinion though is that he'd struggle to win over fans at a top, top club. Grass isn't always greener and he's onto a good thing here.

Edited by S-Clarke

Those positions he took up for the cross in that inside right hand channel is very De Bruyne esque, he gets a lot of assists from there and I wonder if its something he/they have worked on because JWP is one of the best crossers in the league, he just doesn't play wide to do it often, but those sort of spots could be very valuable especially as people like Broja are good at heading.

10 goal involvements now this season, after 15 last year, so he hopefully will exceed that 15, really improving.

11 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Those positions he took up for the cross in that inside right hand channel is very De Bruyne esque, he gets a lot of assists from there and I wonder if its something he/they have worked on because JWP is one of the best crossers in the league, he just doesn't play wide to do it often, but those sort of spots could be very valuable especially as people like Broja are good at heading.

10 goal involvements now this season, after 15 last year, so he hopefully will exceed that 15, really improving.

I noticed that as well, as soon as the play went wide he deliberately shuffled over to get into the position to cross first time.  It definitely looked like something they had been working on to ensure the delivery into the box was quality and quickly executed.  As you say, very KDBish, but worked brilliantly last night.

• Like 2

You can see that we've clearly worked on JWP making himself available for a lay back from a high RB and putting the cross in first time. Once JWP started moving into position Ely was on his bike into the box without a second thought. Another great asset on top of his free kicks, corner kicks, penalties, workrate and being a wind up merchant at times (Zaha is a free one). What a captain

• Like 1

I'm surprised we haven't seen more 'open play' asissts from JWP before now, but that position just right of central midfield 40 ish yards out is perfect for someone with a right peg like his, as long as the players make the right movement in the box it's another great weapon in his growing armory. 

Those two crosses yesterday were very De Bryune esque, I was staggered at how much space he got to take a touch and play it in though. Other teams aren't going to afford him that much time!

Just now, Mystic Force said:

This is why I think Romeu is so key for our team, as he lets JWP play his game without having to worry about covering, I dread the day when Romeu can not play at the same level anymore.

I think (i hope) the club is looking for a Romeu successor, someone we can bring in whilst Romeu is still here in order for him to grow into the side.

Diallo isn't that player. Diallo is more of an advanced midfielder in my eyes, probably more of a JWP alternative. That's why JWP and Diallo often get overrun in there when it's just those two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

It’s a question I have been asking lately-conspicuous by his/her absence 

Not that I'm prone to stalking.... But he/she/it did pop their head in the door last night, but obviously nothing to post about... ;)

Screenshot_20220210-010420-412.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

This is why I think Romeu is so key for our team, as he lets JWP play his game without having to worry about covering, I dread the day when Romeu can not play at the same level anymore.

I’ve said it before. He’s out most important player. JWP or Diallo can play next to him, but not together. 

Romeu has seemingly got better with age. Top player. I hope unlike Fonte, we don’t try and be smart and think he can easily be replaced, I think he can play at this level for a while yet. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, igsey said:

Surely he starts for England alongside Rice based on current form?

That should have been the case at the Euros.

But Southgate just needs a big defensive midfielder. He doesn't care about pressing, recycling possession, building attacks etc through midfield. He just wants 7 defensive players, 2 fast wingers, and a target man to lump it to.

And people defend him because he's a nice bloke ffs. Reality is he has bottled two tournaments.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, whelk said:

So Totally Football Podcast discussing why JWP hasn’t he moved to big club as the takeaway from the game. One opines that if PL move to 5 subs he could go to big club and be useful option from bench. Prick

don't suppose you've got a link / timestamp?

😁

Just now, whelk said:

Depends where you get podcasts from. On Overcast, Spotify etc.

James Richardson is brilliant. Less so some of pundits. Daniel Storey v good tho

Its alright, i managed to find it. I wasn't aware of these but will add to to my list. Cheers (in a roundabout way) Whelk! 😀

Oh, is this still the JWP page ?

We all accept the huge difference between the " Big Money " clubs with a " sugar-daddy "  willing spend £100 million every window

(many of whom seldom win anything )  ....and those genuine " BIG Clubs "  who regularly pick up the silverware every season. 

The fans of the first group  seem to live on another planet when it comes to their favourite clubs abilities to lure in class players.

Aston Villa's measly £25million summer bid for  Prowsey was nothing short of an insult  for a player who has been well-regarded 

for several seasons past, (as well as being ignored by Gareth Southgate in a tournament where reliable penalty-takers were at a premium

and in the final analysis made the difference between winning and losing).

Now we read the next chapter from (so-called) football experts (read: former players whose Prem. career was often short and not meritorious) 

going in print claiming that it's only a matter of time before JWP will sign for one of their former club, and doubtless for a " bargain fee " .

With the likes of Jack Grealish (£100 m.).. and Declan Rice (soon to be another transfer in that price range) .....my question is :  What price JWP.?    

A quick comparison of their career stats. shows that Prowsey is better....in some cases...much better in comparison to others.

All have played in the Prem. for a similar period of time and aside from his renowned free-kick talents, JWP is way ahead of the others

in terms of continuity of playing time, fitness and injury free longevity. 

Those Morons who think Saints will come running at the behest of some " Big club " to sell our best players  should learn that footballers in

" the smaller clubs " also have talents that will  " cost big ", and the VvD  fee is likely to be the starting price... IF we ever decided to sell. 

(RANT OVER)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

You can see that we've clearly worked on JWP making himself available for a lay back from a high RB and putting the cross in first time. Once JWP started moving into position Ely was on his bike into the box without a second thought. Another great asset on top of his free kicks, corner kicks, penalties, workrate and being a wind up merchant at times (Zaha is a free one). What a captain

Ely's run was brilliant. Proper teamwork.

Seeing JWP’s performance on Wednesday it seemed to be like the great Alan Ball at his best. Always moving the ball, available to receive it, passing intuitively and leading by example to make those around him look good. If the knobhead Southgate was offered Alan Ball he probably wouldn’t fit his brick shithouse requirements. Nor will JWP unfortunately 

18 hours ago, Saint86 said:

That should have been the case at the Euros.

But Southgate just needs a big defensive midfielder. He doesn't care about pressing, recycling possession, building attacks etc through midfield. 

Said this many a time, England don't need two DMs in the vast majority of games, but Southgate persists with them, we need Rice + someone that can shift the ball forward and link the play, JWP is good at that (plus bringing so much in terms of work rate, fitness, pressing, interceptions etc. not even adding on his set piece and crossing ability),

The one who will likely keep JWP out of the England squad is probably going to be Bellingham who looks to be a complete box to box player, and also has added physicality that JWP doesn't being over 6' IIRC and being decently quick. 

JWP and Romeu seemingly playing a lot more forward balls between the lines the last two games (also a lot more 1-2/triangular moves around the box). Is that just a result of having Elyounoussi and Armstrong tucked in to receive in the No. 10 positions rather than Redmond et al hugging the touchline?

8 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

JWP and Romeu seemingly playing a lot more forward balls between the lines the last two games (also a lot more 1-2/triangular moves around the box). Is that just a result of having Elyounoussi and Armstrong tucked in to receive in the No. 10 positions rather than Redmond et al hugging the touchline?

With the success in that last two games I think this topic is worth a thread of its own, but Ralph mentioned that they did a lot of work with data analysts in the build up to Spurs and tweaked the positions that attacking players were taking up according to the stats from previous games. Whatever they changed has clearly worked as we look infinitely better going forward.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

With the success in that last two games I think this topic is worth a thread of its own, but Ralph mentioned that they did a lot of work with data analysts in the build up to Spurs and tweaked the positions that attacking players were taking up according to the stats from previous games. Whatever they changed has clearly worked as we look infinitely better going forward.

Don't start with all that data analyst pony.

Football's a simple game. 2 banks of 4, get it wide and stick it in the mixer for the big lad.

Sure I remember reading that somewhere?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Made a little "trip" to those forums of the top 6 -sides.

Almost all of them are suddenly creaming all over JWP.

"The next Hendo"

"Better than Pogba"

"We should sign Ward-Prowse and Romeu too"

I know it is just fan talk, but JWP should be our captain until he retires.

He is our own boy, pay him what ever he wants. He is the best example for all those younger guys trying to make it happen.

• Like 8

Team of the week.

Gareth ‘Knob’ Crooks is f**king obsessed with Liverpool. Maybe it’s time the club needs to let him know he’s overstepping the mark.

Tottenham in midweek, producing two excellent assists. I've been singing the praises of this gifted midfielder for some time now, and his performances for Southampton only seem to get better. I don't know what Liverpool are waiting for - he's made for them.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Team of the week.

Gareth ‘Knob’ Crooks is f**king obsessed with Liverpool. Maybe it’s time the club needs to let him know he’s overstepping the mark.

Tottenham in midweek, producing two excellent assists. I've been singing the praises of this gifted midfielder for some time now, and his performances for Southampton only seem to get better. I don't know what Liverpool are waiting for - he's made for them.

The guy is so thick he hasn’t noticed  transfer window isn’t open. 
Maybe we should report Liverpool for tapping up again, and being media darlings they can get him shut up.

Che must be heart broken to find he isn’t being sold on to Newcastle by Crooks 😀

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Team of the week.

I don't get why he is so fanatical about Liverpool. Best of my knowledge he never played for them. If anything he should be saying Spurs should sign him.

On 17/01/2022 at 11:07, MarkSFC said:

I think your opinion of Phillips is wrong. Let's see what happens in the summer!!

I agree he is one hell of a player, different to JWP and if/when he comes up for sale they'll be a lot of suitors. I'm a big fan. The problem for Phillips is that Rice will always be ahead of him in that position, and he doesn't have a specific skill set like JWP. We have to remember that England have the best midfield squad in the world, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Bellingham, Smith-Rowe, Gallagher, Foden, Grealish and probably JWP. That is real depth and quality. I haven't even mentioned Maddison, Henderson, Ali, or Linguard in that list and there are probably others. It won't be easy for JWP to cement a place among that lot.

The question is, not whether Saints should sell, but whether it is right for James. He has to avoid the scenario of being a bench player like Ings. He has one move ahead of him for a shot at CL football and titles and it has to be soon. That effectively means City, Utd (God no), Liverpool, or maybe Arsenal if they get their act together. Can he hold a place in the midfield of those teams. I don't know hard one to call.

Whilst I'd love him to stay I fully appreciate why he would move and good luck to him. By signing that contract he effectively put millions into the Saints bank balance and we have had his best years. Looking at it cynically, how long will he keep this iron man performance going. There is always a sweet spot for selling a player and the club will have to make that decision.

Nice problem to have.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, trousers said:

Loving the fact that JWP is so consistently good these days that he hardly gets a mention in tonight's post match thread when he was yet again MotM (IMO). 

The Barcelona fans used to have MotMotM - Man of the Match other than Messi. Perhaps we need to start MotMotWP?

When I saw the line up I was very concerned that we'd be dominated. What I didn't realise is that if you have a strong midfield then you will always have a good chance. JWP was so good in that midfield that he massively carried the team, Diallo was good too.

And it wasn't like they were up against average players, they won the midfield battle against Rice and Soucek, one of the best midfields in the league. 

Jwp is absolutely class, it's getting towards the point where he is irreplaceable for us even if we got like £80m.

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse