Saints 0-1 Aston Villa

whelk

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Haven't watched the game - judging by this thread we have gone backwards again. Why are we so poor today?

Probably because we’re still the same team that played the first half of the season when we were poor then.

No new additions playing, nothing new up front, is it any surprise that Che and Adam Armstrong haven’t turned into goal machines, they’re still not good enough for us, but the board have sat on it for most of January now too and the games we need to win/are winnable against teams around us  are becoming fewer before the big teams come calling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Haven't watched the game - judging by this thread we have gone backwards again. Why are we so poor today?

Villa winning the midfield battle because, among other things, Diallo is having one of his nothing games and is completely ineffective.

Every rebound, knock down or panicked clearance seems to land right at the feet of a Villa player and we're really struggling to get out of defence and get any kind of attacking move going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cascadia Saint said:

Any day now. The bits are in the drawer for the hole. Gotta take the xmas tree down first….

Good news, take a picture when it’s done, I’ll sleep a bit easier. I can be a bit anal about these things.😃

• Haha 1

0-0 h/t. Bright but shit, I'd say. Plenty of effort, but a shocking lack of quality on the ball. Villa miles better.

Prowse is too far forward, leaving a threadbare midfield that don't really have much passing range.

Nothing from the wings. Edozie doesn't look comfortable on the right wing. I'll never understand what anyone sees in Armstrong on the left wing. Sure, he's quite quick, but he's utter garbage on the ball, can't pass, can't create. So what's the point?

Probably snap your hand off for a draw at this stage. We're a long way from turning a corner on this evidence.

Signing a striker isn't going to solve just how poor many areas of the team are.

• Like 1

Just now, derry said:

Adams just appears brainless. He was offside looking along the line and had plenty of time to step onside but did nothing.

Yep, pretty inexcusable.

And what on Earth was that attempted finish? It's like when the ball came at him he had never seen one before and had no clue what to do.

Our defence looked easily capable of dealing with anything direct that Villa could throw at us.

They started passing it more centrally. With JWP further up, and Diallo not being much of a holding player, that allowed them much more opportunity to cause problems.

Edozie had a fair bit of space early on, but we didn't really capitalize on it, and they moved to shut that down.

Baz flappy, and not the most commanding in his area. Did get a good hand to a Villa shot.

We did get the ball into the next. Che carelessly offside for it, missed it anyway and ruled out when KWP put it in.

AA working hard, and we'll need someone similarly energetic to bring on in his place. I was him up against Young. The last time I saw Young he was up against Gnonto for Leeds, and there was a geat battle between them. Young not anywhere near as troubled with our lot.

Wouldn’t touch Edozie, but if I were Jones I’d tell the lad to get his head up a bit more and look to thread a ball through once in a while - completely ignored opportunity’s to put JWP through. Armstrong is not working in his current role - get Orsic on as an unknown.  Diallo is having a bit of a mare so Lavia is not able to assist in the forward line, but too early to swap Jim out yet. Lyanco is a red card waiting to happen, so Perraud on and KWP to RB.

Back to the bad old days, no intensity, no control and definitely no goal threat.  Villa will be gutted that they haven't got the lead, played us off the park in that half.  We are going to need to improve ten fold to win this one (not that I have any faith at all in Armstrong or Adams to score). I'd probably take a point now if offered, it was fairly obvious that they were much better than us. Crap half. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Adams needs to be hooked. Slow as a boat.

Extremely sloppy all over the park. Salisu looks like a ticking time bomb in defence. Scares the life out of me. 

Salisu made some top class interceptions. DCC is the one that keeps giving away freekicks and passes it straight to villa players.

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Aston Villa
  • Jimmy_D unpinned this topic