Ruben Selles

Dusic

19 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

One thing I would say about Marschs teams is they at the very least, have a bloody good go… something we would have all wanted. 

It’s a bit different following Bielsa who had his sides going for it, as opposed to taking over a side that have been mincing about with crab football for 2 years. I don’t think this bunch could give it a bloody good go even if they wanted to. No bottle, easy soft arsed football is more their style. 

Fundamentally while Selles has his problems I can't really see any manager doing any better with these players; we lack the fundamentals to win games - goals, determination and character.

Nathan Jones was a disaster, but not getting a decent goal scorer in January was a bigger calamity.

This isn't going to get any better until Ankerson and semmens are gone.

11 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Fundamentally while Selles has his problems I can't really see any manager doing any better with these players; we lack the fundamentals to win games - goals, determination and character.

Nathan Jones was a disaster, but not getting a decent goal scorer in January was a bigger calamity.

Nevertheless I’d like to see an experienced manager have a go. The players are probably as ground down as we are having been managed by a succession of buffoons, deploying hopeless selections, formations and tactics.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Why not, relegation is a certainty. There is bound to be someone who feels they have been forgotten about, or fancies a challenge, there is potentially a long term gig if they do ok. And let’s not forget the phenomenal money they would earn, a small fortune by most of our standards in very short time.

Why would we pay a "phenomenal" amount of money to someone to relegate us?

We're not going to offer that and no one is going to take it.

Maybe, maybe, maybe we recruit someone in the last week of the season who uses the last Sunday as some extension of pre-season but it feels unlikely.

The squad on August 1st will be unrecognisable so what would be the point?

Just now, CB Fry said:

Why would we pay a "phenomenal" amount of money to someone to relegate us?

We're not going to offer that and no one is going to take it.

Maybe, maybe, maybe we recruit someone in the last week of the season who uses the last Sunday as some extension of pre-season but it feels unlikely.

The squad on August 1st will be unrecognisable so what would be the point?

I just meant managers earn a phenomenal amount of money by most peoples standards, not that we’d pay someone exceptional money for a short term gig. A few weeks of being a premier league manager would set me nicely on my way.

28 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I just meant managers earn a phenomenal amount of money by most peoples standards, not that we’d pay someone exceptional money for a short term gig. A few weeks of being a premier league manager would set me nicely on my way.

OK, I thought you were offering reasons why a manager would take on the Saints job right now, or why we would offer it right now. It feels like you don't have any reasons.

Also you did literally say

And let’s not forget the phenomenal money they would earn, a small fortune by most of our standards in very short time.

...which kind of made me think that you were saying we should "pay exceptional money for a short term gig".

All that generic stuff about how well paid they are is true in January and true in July so is not a reason.

So you're now saying that you don't think we should do it and you don't think we will do it. Other than that, great point 👍

Edited by CB Fry
  • Confused 1

For me Selles has been the worst manager I’ve seen in 40 plus years of watching Saints - no question. He’s had a few contenders, but when the chips were down and we had to show some mettle, which should have started with him, he consistently bottled it with appalling team selections and tactics.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

For me Selles has been the worst manager I’ve seen in 40 plus years of watching Saints - no question. He’s had a few contenders, but when the chips were down and we had to show some mettle, which should have started with him, he consistently bottled it with appalling team selections and tactics.

I think I'd pu lt Jones, wigley, gray and Pellegrino ahead of him in the shortest category. Arguably branfoot too

• Like 2

Wanted him to succeed but he hasn’t got a fucking clue. Must win home game against shit opposition and he throws it with the weakest attacking lineup you can think of. 

Too obsessed with not getting thrashed to even have a go at winning a game, we only look any good when we’re already beaten and nothing to lose. He can fuck off and take Moi with him. 

• Like 7

Football is a simple game. The problem is that coaching and management are two different jobs. True, some coaches can make successful managers because they have a common sense, simplistic approach to the simple game. Others like Selles that are comprehensively qualified are so occupied with the theory that they lose sight of the big picture. A superb example of the brilliant coach with the simplistic overview is Pep Guardiola. Trying to copy his pass and move philosophy by playing out from the back with unsuitable players doesn't work but Selles doesn't get that. Pep does because he buys the superb players with the skills then schools them to develop those skills and play his pass and move game.

I think some managers get this for example Crystal Palace and AFCB didn't do it and played the ball out wide. Hasenhuttl didn't get it either. We are where we are because our game and buildup is too slow and faces packed defences who are allowed unlimited time to set up as we recycle the ball in our own half. Selles is a purist failing on the principle of possession ignoring that the players lack the skill, movement and vision to play that way. Playing players out of position or trying to revolutionise by randomly playing players in positions they are unsuited to play causes a lack of shape, blend and balance. Micro management ignoring the fact football is a simple game.

• Like 4

He’s a typical modern coach. Wants to play a certain way and will continue to play that way regardless. There’s a lot to admire about modern football and coaching, but one downside is the lack of pragmatism & flexibility. Some coaches are as stubborn as the 4-4-2 Mike Bassetts that are the butt of jokes. He’s as set in his ways as much as Branfoot was, the only difference is the philosophy they stick to. 

• Like 2

I’m going to redress my initial thought post Chelsea when I thought these players would do the business for Selles.

I am convinced they wanted him as manager and still am. The reasoning? Well, it wasn’t to rise up the leagues like a Phoenix from the flames. It was because he was a nice guy who appeared in control. A lot of these losers are the dissenters of Ralph’s era and probably couldn’t face standing up to someone quite so headstrong. 

Now we’ve all scratched beneath the surface, it appears they love playing for him. They can hide behind him after every pathetic defeat and he in turn, defends them in some sort of weird two-way loyalty pact. We’ve got all these head boys running around with notes, or just running through treacle (Moi) as we whimper out of the league in surely the most pathetic manner a lot of us have witnessed in our lifetimes.

But there’s one thing you can tell about a good manager and a nice one. With a good one, you can see what we actually are doing off the pitch, in training. You can see a style, patterns of play during a game.

With this lot, you see nothing. Zilch. Just a group of losers going through the motions and perfectly contented to do so. And that seems to be ok with our leader - the guy we all look to for a rousing, blood and guts Hail Mary to stay in the league.

There is a few who are still trying, perhaps to secure a ticket out of here but most have downed tools - yet still serving up empty platitudes, promises and rallying calls. Two things here; actions speak louder than words and more importantly, something with which I carry with me to this day;

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them”.

I think we can confidently say that Ruben Selles has shown himself utterly incapable of managing at this level and handling this utter bunch of degenerate frauds.

Now, can someone please press the big red button and get this over with. Let’s start anew. We all deserve a lot, lot better.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Nathan Jones was a disaster, but not getting a decent goal scorer in Aug was a bigger calamity.

Fixed it 

• Like 3

Still can’t believe he started with that front four on Thursday night. Has to be one of the weakest attacks we have fielded in living memory. I know we have a very poor squad particularly in the final third but what did he expect playing Adam Armstrong? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Still can’t believe he started with that front four on Thursday night. Has to be one of the weakest attacks we have fielded in living memory. I know we have a very poor squad particularly in the final third but what did he expect playing Adam Armstrong? 

Don't worry tomorrow I've heard we are going to try and do an even worse selection.

Disclaimer: I haven't heard shit

Edited by Convict Colony

It's bad enough that we didn't turn up against Bournemouth but what's worse is Selles being in total denial and still spouting rubbish like we still have a chance and we will keep looking to win games and our performance wasn't all that bad 

• Like 2

On 28/04/2023 at 12:41, S-Clarke said:

Is that why he leaves him on the bench?

It's very confusing. We adopt a long ball approach with Theo, Adam Armstrong and Ely as the attackers. Don't make any use of Onuachu at all or Mara. 

I feel a bit sorry for Onuachu - I know he's been called out as a Carillo etc, but I honestly don't think he's been given a chance. The attacking tombola changes are doing my head in, never a chance to build any relationships.

Calling him a Carillo is more the way the board signed a new striker only to sack the manager and him not really be in the plans of the new one whatsoever more then abillity wise though isn’t it .. truth is we don’t really know how good is he cos like you say he hasn’t a chance really it’s hard for any player just getting 20 mins here and there ..

I still don’t understand how Rasmus is just sitting back and watching selles ignore practically everyone we signed in January (bar Alcaraz) 

I would be absolutely raging if I’d spent all of January trying to tie up deals and spending 60 m only for this moron to think moi walcott and AA are better then the new boys ..

how can Rasmus let him get away with it ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Calling him a Carillo is more the way the board signed a new striker only to sack the manager and him not really be in the plans of the new one whatsoever more then abillity wise though isn’t it .. truth is we don’t really know how good is he cos like you say he hasn’t a chance really it’s hard for any player just getting 20 mins here and there ..

I still don’t understand how Rasmus is just sitting back and watching selles ignore practically everyone we signed in January (bar Alcaraz) 

I would be absolutely raging if I’d spent all of January trying to tie up deals and spending 60 m only for this moron to think moi walcott and AA are better then the new boys ..

how can Rasmus let him get away with it ?

Maybe we’ve bought a load of crap that are worse than what we had or at least that would seem to be the view of selles. We are a real mess at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Maybe we’ve bought a load of crap that are worse than what we had or at least that would seem to be the view of selles. We are a real mess at the moment.

I just don’t believe that .. how can you trust a man that thinks eluseless is better then sulemana edozie Stuart Armstrong etc ?

Everytime we see the team full with moi AA walcott and his usual choices we pretty much all know how it’s gonna pan out .. but this guy just will not even attempt anything differant 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I just don’t believe that .. how can you trust a man that thinks eluseless is better then sulemana edozie Stuart Armstrong etc ?

Everytime we see the team full with moi AA walcott and his usual choices we pretty much all know how it’s gonna pan out .. but this guy just will not even attempt anything differant 

Yes I'm struggling to see what three different managers see in elyonoussi that the fans don't? Is it just cos he's a yes man and arse licker of the manager? Elyonoussi and Adam Armstrong along with Diallo Walcott (nice guy but past it) should be nowhere near a premier League club... Unfortunately we aren't that anymore so it's likely some of the dross like this will stay!.

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes I'm struggling to see what three different managers see in elyonoussi that the fans don't? Is it just cos he's a yes man and arse licker of the manager? Elyonoussi and Adam Armstrong along with Diallo Walcott (nice guy but past it) should be nowhere near a premier League club... Unfortunately we aren't that anymore so it's likely some of the dross like this will stay!.

The club has become so focused on damage limitation and off the ball crap, that's why guys like Elyounoussi still get game time. He's a managers dream because he'll do what you ask him to do, as he probably realises he's stealing a living, so he'll work hard, track back, do everything he's asked for within a defensive shape etc - whereas more maverick type players possibly won't do that, they just want to attack and are a little more unpredictable. 

Hopefully the summer allows a reset on that front, I'm bored of us having this damage limitation mindset of what we do 'off the ball'. We're so predictable because of that and It's eroded any threat from our game. It's not like it even works as we still lose every game we play.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The club has become so focused on damage limitation and off the ball crap, that's why guys like Elyounoussi still get game time. He's a managers dream because he'll do what you ask him to do, as he probably realises he's stealing a living, so he'll work hard, track back, do everything he's asked for within a defensive shape etc - whereas more maverick type players possibly won't do that, they just want to attack and are a little more unpredictable. 

Hopefully the summer allows a reset on that front, I'm bored of us having this damage limitation mindset of what we do 'off the ball'. We're so predictable because of that and It's eroded any threat from our game. It's not like it even works as we still lose every game we play.

Can we try asking him to score goals?

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Tbh though he’s still too slow to press well and also loses possession by being slow so I don’t even get how it helps us defensively either 

I had an interesting conversation with somebody who knows Jones well last night. He wasn’t particularly forthcoming, certainly less so than he normally is. But there was one interesting snippet when Selles was discussed. I asked about their relationship, fine no question of disloyalty or of having his own agenda/going behind his back or wanting the job. Did say that when jones started & asked Selles what the main issue was, Selles replied “defenders that can’t defend properly”. I’d imagine most people would have said scoring goals/ creating chances was the main issue, but he went with the defending.
It probably explains Selles thought process and his subsequent defensive tactical set up when he got the job. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I had an interesting conversation with somebody who knows Jones well last night. He wasn’t particularly forthcoming, certainly less so than he normally is. But there was one interesting snippet when Selles was discussed. I asked about their relationship, fine no question of disloyalty or of having his own agenda/going behind his back or wanting the job. Did say that when jones started & asked Selles what the main issue was, Selles replied “defenders that can’t defend properly”. I’d imagine most people would have said scoring goals/ creating chances was the main issue, but he went with the defending.
It probably explains Selles thought process and his subsequent defensive tactical set up when he got the job. 

But maybe he was not too far wrong with the analysis? A few 0-0 draws rather than 1-0 defeats and we would be in with a reasonable chance. Ok you could say that they could have been 1-1 draws with good strikers.

31 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Largely I agree, when coming into a job with a team struggling the first thing you want to do is make them solid, so I get that.

But the lack of urgency from the players in recent games has been a concern and we have to go more gung ho now

2 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

But maybe he was not too far wrong with the analysis? A few 0-0 draws rather than 1-0 defeats and we would be in with a reasonable chance. Ok you could say that they could have been 1-1 draws with good strikers.

You don’t win anything unless you score goals.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Father in law ? you mentioned him before

• Haha 1

He actually seems like a decent guy and fronted up in the interview with Sky by taking responsibility. Out of his depth though and not what we needed in the place we were left by the Jones catastrophe.

• Like 1

As much as everyone seems to hate jones at least that appointment had some logic .. he was championship manager of the year and had punched well above his weight with little funds .

but what the hell is the logic in selles ?? What’s he ever done to be considered a saviour in a relegation battle .. and to top it all off, he’s been in a totally differant page to the whole January transfer strategy .. makes no sense to me whatsoever .. we have just gone down with a absolute whimper . May as well have given jones more time then to do this 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

As much as everyone seems to hate jones at least that appointment had some logic .. he was championship manager of the year and had punched well above his weight with little funds .

but what the hell is the logic in selles ?? What’s he ever done to be considered a saviour in a relegation battle .. and to top it all off, he’s been in a totally differant page to the whole January transfer strategy .. makes no sense to me whatsoever .. we have just gone down with a absolute whimper . May as well have given jones more time then to do this 

Cheap. Like the budgie.

11 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

There was no logic other than we were screwed financially the minute Jones didn't work out (which was arguably at half time on Boxing day).  By mid Feb we were paying off two managers' contracts, plus had forked out £4 million - if reports are true - to Luton to prise Jones away.    So with Marsch unwilling to take a short term contract, Selles was the low risk financial option, but the high risk football one.   My regret is having watched loads of risk averse, slow build-up possession for the sake of it football - if only we'd have gone for it in games like West Ham, Bournemouth and Palace etc.  There again maybe we'd have lost all those games 3-4 too......

• Like 4

but what the hell is the logic in selles ?? 

Maybe not logic, but he was obviously here, knew the league and the players and got that performance out of them at Chelsea. He was going to cost us nothing in compensation and he didn't expect a three year deal, survival or otherwise. The other options available weren't great and decent available managers were a bit thin on the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe not logic, but he was obviously here, knew the league and the players and got that performance out of them at Chelsea. He was going to cost us nothing in compensation and he didn't expect a three year deal, survival or otherwise. The other options available weren't great and decent available managers were a bit thin on the ground.

Still doesn’t make any sense to get rid of jones in the first place if you have no idea better then giving a shot to someone with fuck all experience ….

esoecially after backing jones with onuachu and sulemana and all the others selles doesn’t rate..

in affect not only was sacking jones for selles absolutely crazy .. but they through away pretty much 60 m and a month worth of negotiations  and talks in the transfer window .. 

as for selles knowing the club and players .. it doesn’t look like it when he’s making team selections 99 percent of the fanbase can see are absolutely shocking and choosing elyounoussi walcott and AA all the time .. and after being the most negative manager in history likes to talk about how we will keep fighting .. man I hate this guy 

• Like 2

On 08/05/2023 at 11:48, Lord Duckhunter said:

I mean… this is patently obvious to be honest and explains why we bought defensive reinforcements in the summer as well as Ralph rearranging a semi organised tactic to prioritise defensive action… the same with Selles and Jones

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

In a season of utterly shit and inept performances, the fluke victory v Chelsea in Selles' first game in change was, unfortunately, the most disastrous result of the season. No way would he have stayed had we lost. 

• Like 1

Still doesn’t make any sense to get rid of jones in the first place if you have no idea better then giving a shot to someone with fuck all experience ….

esoecially after backing jones with onuachu and sulemana and all the others selles doesn’t rate..

in affect not only was sacking jones for selles absolutely crazy .. but they through away pretty much 60 m and a month worth of negotiations  and talks in the transfer window .. 

as for selles knowing the club and players .. it doesn’t look like it when he’s making team selections 99 percent of the fanbase can see are absolutely shocking and choosing elyounoussi walcott and AA all the time .. and after being the most negative manager in history likes to talk about how we will keep fighting .. man I hate this guy 

After the Wolves capitulation and the virulent poisonous atmosphere Jones position was completely untenable. The fans rightly wouldn’t have taken one more day of the shit being served up, and I think the players felt the same. The simple fact is that Ramus W. Ankersen and co. couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

as for selles knowing the club and players .. it doesn’t look like it when he’s makin team selections 99 percent of the fanbase can see are absolutely shocking and choosing elyounoussi walcott and AA all the time .. and after being the most negative manager in history likes to talk about how we will keep fighting .. man I hate this guy 

Walcott actually merited his place to my surprise. Sad way for his career to end but he was one of our better players in this disaster of a relegation capitulation. 

• Like 3

I think they'd conceded relegation after the Jones appointment.

Squad confidence was on the floor, form was terrible and the squad quality is poor too. Think they felt that committing to another proper manager, who they may then have to pay compensation to again at the end of the season (when we were already likely to go down) might do even more financial harm in the long run.

Of course, we as fans would want to maintain hope about what was possible at that stage. But I do think business have those really cold conversations at a senior level.

23 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

In a season of utterly shit and inept performances, the fluke victory v Chelsea in Selles' first game in change was, unfortunately, the most disastrous result of the season. No way would he have stayed had we lost. 

Either that or the League Cup win against City that earned Jones another month or so. 

I think the board just lost it when Jones did the mad post match interview.  Clearly they bought players to suit him not a return to ralphball.  I assume plan was to tough it out and have the championship manager of the season if/when we went down or get rid then.  But everything went so toxic they had to act, Selles gets a lucky win so gets the gig and by time it is obvious he is as out of his depth as Jones was it seemed we were down.  Crazy thing is with so much crap at the bottom of the league they could still have binned Selles and potentially escaped but his record until the international break was just enough to save him. 

• Like 1

It’s obvious that they put all their eggs in the Jones basket, but it became untenable. Selles got a couple of decent results and got some stability back, he also had the Nods singing his song, so the board probably thought they’d go with it. Unfortunately, when it became apparent he wasn’t going to train on, it was probably too late to do anything without throwing an obscene amount of money at it.

I’m just hoping the board have a plan and are ”comfortable “ with us going down, to come back up stronger. Perhaps I’m deluded, but maybe that’s it….

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles