Relegation - What two teams do we take with us

Lee On Solent Saint

2 minutes ago, IFHP said:

I'd like Eaverton and Bournemouth to come down with us, can you imagine being in a lower league then fucking Bournemouth? 

The only thing we have left to play for now is trying not to be the worst Saint steam in top flight history. What was it 32 points in 2005? 

Cant remember what points we got when we went down from the old 1st division in 74?  

36 points, I think it was a record total at the time. The first time three teams were relegated, with Southampton being the unlucky third from bottom…!

8 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

36 points, I think it was a record total at the time. The first time three teams were relegated, with Southampton being the unlucky third from bottom…!

It was only two points for a win in those days as well so a lot of points to go down with, think we were also relegated whilst also having the divisions top scorer, has that ever happened again? 

Coincidently we also won away at Goodison that season , must be a bad omen. 

The 2 worst teams, to give a better chance of going up. Bournemouth definitely then. Hard to choose the other one. Maybe Leeds, or Everton (since they have financial problems and they are forced to sell their good players). Probably wouldn't want Forest, since they have shown they can walk the championship, and they have the right manager to do it again.

27 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Bournemouth because they are nearby and Leicester because it would be funny and I like going there because of the great pub that serves curry.

Fair choices mate. Most of the division looks decent for away trips, i reckon we'd take good numbers to QPR, Bristol City, Coventry, Reading, not been to Stoke or Birmingham City for a while, the more i think about it the Championship has a lot to look forward to for away days , WBA for a curry as well. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

Fair choices mate. Most of the division looks decent for away trips, i reckon we'd take good numbers to QPR, Bristol City, Coventry, Reading, not been to Stoke or Birmingham City for a while, the more i think about it the Championship has a lot to look forward to for away days , WBA for a curry as well. 

Yes, WBA for curry.

Hopefully Boro go up through playoffs as that will mean Luton and Millwall away trips too. Plus Watford is easy. Swansea and Cardiff aren't too bad either.

Whoever comes up automatically from League 1 will be a bit of a journey. Likely 2 from Sheff Wed, Plymouth and Ipswich.

48 minutes ago, JRM said:

Reading could go down I belive they have a 6 point penalty to come yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Cat said:

Yes, WBA for curry.

Hopefully Boro go up through playoffs as that will mean Luton and Millwall away trips too. Plus Watford is easy. Swansea and Cardiff aren't too bad either.

Whoever comes up automatically from League 1 will be a bit of a journey. Likely 2 from Sheff Wed, Plymouth and Ipswich.

Bit of a journey but all three of those good, we always used to take loads on the train to Ipswich  was a popular trip, would be ironic if Luton go up and pass us after the Nathan Jones episode, a trip to Kenilworth Road would be good love looking at people's washing on the line on the way into the away end. 

Millwall seem to be giving teams both upper and lower tiers now if away demand is there would be a good one. 

39 minutes ago, IFHP said:

Reading have now had their points deduction confirmed and are now only a point above the relegation zone . We could lose another good trip if they go down .  

Yeah can see Huddersfield climbing out of the bottom 3 at the expense of Cardiff or Reading now. 

Having said that Reading's ground is rubbish to get to by train and they only give half the end to away fans now so not as good as it used to be. 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not a single saints player mentioned. That’s how shit we are 🤣

CB2D33DA-8683-4A40-819F-901EC053C70B.jpeg

I've seen and read some insane nonsense on here over the years but, yep, Elyounoussi being overlooked for that relegation dream team tops the lot.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stknowle said:

I've seen and read some insane nonsense on here over the years but, yep, Elyounoussi being overlooked for that relegation dream team tops the lot.

how many goals has costa scored so far for wolves? surely adam armstrong has got to be in the mix

2 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

how many goals has costa scored so far for wolves? surely adam armstrong has got to be in the mix

Yeah Costa does not deserve to be there clearly picked based on past achievements/record which is wrong. Adams, Daka, Solanki, Ings before him. All of them have been pretty shit and the fact that I can't readily think of more strikers out of the 9 relegation threatened teams says it all about how shit the league is this year. 

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Al this talk of wanting "weaker" teams going down with us so as to make next season's promotion push easier - I'm not sure we will even make the play offs.

Exactly this . 

I’m not expecting us to finish anywhere near the top 6 .

There is no evidence to suggest that Sports Republic have any idea what they are doing .

Top that with the financial problems that comes with relegation and the need to abide by the FFP laws of the championship. 

It took us 7 years to get back last time and could be even longer this . 

I think some fans forget that when we survived on the last day of the season v Sheffield United and the season we went down to the 3rd division the championship was no fun at all . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IFHP said:

Exactly this . 

There is no evidence to suggest that Sports Republic have any idea what they are doing .

Top that with the financial problems that comes with relegation and the need to abide by the FFP laws of the championship. 

I think some fans forget that when we survived on the last day of the season v Sheffield United and the season we went down to the 3rd division the championship was no fun at all . 

Hmmmm the flip view is we get 40 odd mill for Lavia plus  similar for JWP plus  £2.50 or similar for Elyounoussi etc to plough into a new team. I'm looking forward to it.

9 hours ago, IFHP said:

Exactly this . 

Bit different this time going down as well have a number of sellable assets and no stadium loan hanging around our neck.

Will good sales income I feel we will be top 6 next season if we go down. I don't believe the owners will not invest a little to get back into the top leagues gravy train.

• Haha 1

Leicester have some sellable assets that will raise a decent bit of cash plus a few good players who would stay.

Forest would be a mess, especially if Cooper goes. I reckon Everton and Forest would be best to drop.

Bournemouth invested in the winter, but their survival being so close now is yet another miracle after the Howe years.

Forest cannot score, Leeds defending is finally spiralling out of control - they are the ones coming down for me. 

I can see Everton grinding out results and Leicester getting just enough of a bounce from Dean Smith. 

1 hour ago, melmacian_saint said:

Bournemouth invested in the winter, but their survival being so close now is yet another miracle after the Howe years.

Forest cannot score, Leeds defending is finally spiralling out of control - they are the ones coming down for me. 

I can see Everton grinding out results and Leicester getting just enough of a bounce from Dean Smith. 

I think Leicester are gone, I didn't expect it as I thought they'd have more than enough, but it just seems a really dysfunctional group. They've got 25 points, so they need one hell of a turn around to survive from here. Similar to us in that sense, they've just got too much to do and not enough time to do it.

In my eyes there is one place left and that is a toss up between Leeds, Forest and Everton. Hard to really call that final spot at the moment.

13 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

To drag one of Everton or Leicester down with us would be enough to raise a smile even out of this miserable fuck after the season we've had.

I agree but how do we do that? We won’t play either again this season, the best we can do is to lose to those teams who can finish above them.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree but how do we do that? We won’t play either again this season, the best we can do is to lose to those teams who can finish above them.

Yeah just chuck it in against Forest and Bournemouth. We've done it against every other side so why stop now... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Basically 2 teams who wont be major challengers to us getting back up

Given most of the teams already in the championship will be a major challenge for us, another couple of better teams won't make much difference to our prospects...

Everton have been top flight for 70 odd years. It would be immensely sweet to bring them down with us. Leicester of course have been recent trophy winners over the last ten years too so that would tickle my fancy too. Both would take the limelight of of us in the media. Forest and Leeds are "big names" but have more recently come up. I still think it's us, Forest + 1 other. I still think Leicester will get out of it.

I am surprised about Bournemouth's recent resurgence but my colleague who is a fan says that O Neill has started playing more attacking football which is working. He also thanks us for loaning Stephens to them.

• Like 1

"EFL chairman Rick Parry has written to the DCMS Committee to highlight independent research that demonstrates how football clubs receiving parachute payments after relegation from the Premier League are three times more likely than other teams to get promoted back from the Championship"

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/378/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/194795/football-governance-efl-writes-to-dcms-committee-on-parachute-payments/

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Everton have been top flight for 70 odd years. It would be immensely sweet to bring them down with us. Leicester of course have been recent trophy winners over the last ten years too so that would tickle my fancy too. Both would take the limelight of of us in the media. Forest and Leeds are "big names" but have more recently come up. I still think it's us, Forest + 1 other. I still think Leicester will get out of it.

I am surprised about Bournemouth's recent resurgence but my colleague who is a fan says that O Neill has started playing more attacking football which is working. He also thanks us for loaning Stephens to them.

Who'd have thought it....play attacking football, improve and win matches - maybe someone should point this out to Selles who continues to do what O'Neill was doing before he found the magic formula. 

5 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

"EFL chairman Rick Parry has written to the DCMS Committee to highlight independent research that demonstrates how football clubs receiving parachute payments after relegation from the Premier League are three times more likely than other teams to get promoted back from the Championship"

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/378/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/194795/football-governance-efl-writes-to-dcms-committee-on-parachute-payments/

Interesting… someone who created the Premier League monster is now upset by  it.

• Like 1

Isn’t it mental just how bad Everton, Leicester, and Leeds have been this season, and yet we’re worse than all of them. This season has really been a clusterfuck, you could write a book there’s been that many wtf decisions.

Are Everton really in that much trouble financially? Even though it would make them favourites to win the league if they dropped is still fucking love to see it happen, all those Scouse Skates crying on MOTD. 

To think they had Ancelotti in charge not long ago talking about looking forward to managing the side into their new stadium 😂

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Think Leeds are one of them. Absolutely fallen to bits defensively, young keeper's lost his confidence, new manager bounce has been and gone. And their run in genuinely doesn't look like it'll provide any more points. 

I'd say they're finished for the season on 30 points. That's not going to be enough.

Leicester, I think, will weasel out of it. Need to beat Everton tonight.

Saints, Leeds and Everton/Forest, I reckon. Although Forest will buy themselves some breathing space when they beat us next week.

Edited by qwertyell

41 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Think Leeds are one of them. Absolutely fallen to bits defensively, young keeper's lost his confidence, new manager bounce has been and gone. And their run in genuinely doesn't look like it'll provide any more points. 

I'd say they're finished for the season on 30 points. That's not going to be enough.

Leicester, I think, will weasel out of it. Need to beat Everton tonight.

Saints, Leeds and Everton/Forest, I reckon. Although Forest will buy themselves some breathing space when they beat us next week.

I think whoever loses tonight is next to join us. Shame it can’t be both.