Relegation - What two teams do we take with us

Lee On Solent Saint

I think even the most red and white tinted of us are accepting the inevitable now. It's going to take an absolute epic run to see us to safety now. With this mind, what's everyone's preferred relegation buddies? For me, has to be Bournemouth and Everton. Can't stand Leeds either, but would be hilarious to see Everton drop at last. Bournemouth, because I just wouldn't be able to accept them being the only Premier League club in the region. 

• Like 4

No not Everton, funny as it will be, we need to think about coming back up. They have money and will probably bounce straight back. I think Saints will as well but I don't want Everton making life difficult. Similar argument with West Ham.

Bournemouth defo, Forest ir Wolves will do.

But we aren't down yet. Keep fighting

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

No not Everton, funny as it will be, we need to think about coming back up. They have money and will probably bounce straight back. I think Saints will as well but I don't want Everton making life difficult. Similar argument with West Ham.

Bournemouth defo, Forest ir Wolves will do.

But we aren't down yet. Keep fighting

If we could maybe start fighting that'd be nice. We are going down and Bournemouth will most likely join us. I'd like Everton to come down too and I don't think they'd be as nailed on for promotion as you might think. They'll need a huge clear out and have zero experience in that league, unlike most of the other candidates. If I was a betting man though; Forest.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

They don't have any money, that vanished down the hole Usmanov fell down. They are as skint as they come, totally screwed on FFP and with a huge stadium hanging over their head. They will be ruined financially.

• Like 5

I really, really want to see Everton come down with us and Bournemouth. I don’t care if they’re champions next season, it will hugely take the heat off us in the summer when a “massive” (in the media’s eyes) club gets relegated. Sadly, as I suspected we should have done before appointing Jones, they brought in Dyche and will probably just be ok.

I still think Forest may drop with us and Bournemouth but Leeds Should be worried.

Definitely us and Bournemouth. Bit of a lottery for the third place as there’s 3 or 4 candidates…Leeds, Everton, Forest, West Ham.

Leeds might get enough from their new Manager, although we made them look good today. Everton and WH have some decent players that can scrap. Think if I were forced to make choice it would be Forest.

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Definitely us and Bournemouth. Bit of a lottery for the third place as there’s 3 or 4 candidates…Leeds, Everton, Forest, West Ham.

Leeds might get enough from their new Manager, although we made them look good today. Everton and WH have some decent players that can scrap. Think if I were forced to make choice it would be Forest.

leeds do move the ball quicker and you can see they may pick up the odd result. everton despite their recent upping of form, it could be that manager bounce bollocks from dyche, their squad hasn’t changed since they were “definitely going down” according to their fans only a month or so ago.

I’d want Saints, Bmouth, Everton. Saints could be decent next year as I doubt many would leave (Lavia, Kwp exceptions) JWP to give us 6 months to see where we are, rest aren’t experienced in the league and haven’t shown they are good enough in the prem so won’t be picked up straight away unless their agent is amazing. some day these “champions league potentials” are going to kick in surely, right rasmus? if so we must be in the fight for promotion. 

you’re welcome for that optimism

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They don't have any money, that vanished down the hole Usmanov fell down. They are as skint as they come, totally screwed on FFP and with a huge stadium hanging over their head. They will be ruined financially.

..and will need a very good accountant to explain away the obvious breaches of FPP rules they have made in recent years, and even

worse news for their fans as Everton have managed to keep their Prem. status whilst Liverpool have picked up every trophy in recent years.

There are several other clubs I dislike a little more but who are likely to survive, but some sort of satisfaction in knowing that 

after 25 years of waiting we finally beat them at Goodison - before they finally move to their new stadium.  

Edited by david in sweden

If by some miracle we do escape, would love it to be Bournemouth, Everton and Leeds. Don't think for a minute Wolves and West Ham will get anywhere near relegation. Leicester might have the nerves jangling a bit if we manage to get a result Saturday. Similarly Palace aren't anything special and a few defeats for then could see them draged into it.

Firstly whilst I think we'll probably get relegated I haven't quite closed the door on us yet.

There are still 14 games left and we have seen what the team can do against City - if only someone could get into their heads. For me it isn't over till it's mathematical.

That said if we went down my heart would love Everton to come down with us. However if they did they'd be a big rival for promotion so I'd rather Bournemouth and Leeds.

If this club has any brains left in it they should be prepping for champ football next season because the odds are definitely going in that direction.

52 minutes ago, IFHP said:

It will be eithr Everton or leeds coming down with Us and Bournemouth.

Those who think we will challenging for promotion next season will be in for a shock - unless we get new owners (again) and a new board.

Exactly, keep hearing how good Adams and Armstrong will be in the championship, just can’t see it. 

54 minutes ago, IFHP said:

It will be eithr Everton or leeds coming down with Us and Bournemouth.

Those who think we will challenging for promotion next season will be in for a shock - unless we get new owners (again) and a new board.

We'll probably be up for sale sometime soon, with SR siphoning money off to get a return

9 minutes ago, Appy said:

Exactly, keep hearing how good Adams and Armstrong will be in the championship, just can’t see it. 

Armstrong scored 28 and Adams 22 in their last seasons down there so its not a massive stretch to think they'd be pretty good down there.

I like that the manic depressives can go from moaning "we've signed Championship standard players" to immediately moaning that those same players will  actually also be rubbish in the Championship as well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Bournemouth and Everton but I think somehow the Scousers will get out of it the last day by a point or something weird happening elsewhere. 

Having just looked it up, Everton are home to Bournemouth on the last day. 

Biggest fear, is Liverpool beating us on the last day, to keep Everton up leading to the inevitable media wankfest over Merseyside , special fans, special rivalry and all that.

The biggest shock to most it seems will be in player departures. Even the likes of Che will be off, especially given how rubbish it must be to have been replaced by a forward with the same likelihood of ever scoring goals in this team. Players will leave at reduced rates because we won’t be in a particularly strong negotiating position when they demand transfers. 

The loss of revenue will be significant, sponsors will leave because of clauses in their contracts or their payments for sponsoring will reduce, ticket revenue will be down, hospitality in particular will be hit hard. Matchday revenue then down too. The parachute payment will help of course but there will be layoffs across the club as the cloth will need to be cut accordingly. The appeal of a club that’s never maximised its potential will mean we aren’t media darlings so TV revenue won’t be that high.

Maybe SR will come to the fore and save things but given their record so far, is that actually believable? Semmens and Co the same given that from Gao onwards, they’ve overseen the decline. 

I’d love Everton to come down with us as they’ve been flirting with relegation for donkeys. Bournemouth will probably join us too. 

20 hours ago, Badger said:

Having just looked it up, Everton are home to Bournemouth on the last day. 

Biggest fear, is Liverpool beating us on the last day, to keep Everton up leading to the inevitable media wankfest over Merseyside , special fans, special rivalry and all that.

But they won't, will they? Surely they will go half-assed and let us get the points if it means they can relegate the blue-noses by so doing.

On 25/02/2023 at 20:43, beatlesaint said:

Bournemouth and Everton but I think somehow the Scousers will get out of it the last day by a point or something weird happening elsewhere. 

Happened years ago when the were losing to Wimbledon last day. I think were 2 down but Dons keeper dived over the ball for their winner lol

Edited by OldNick

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

But they won't, will they? Surely they will go half-assed and let us get the points if it means they can relegate the blue-noses by so doing.

A bunch of international players won't give a shit about Everton going down if it means they miss out on their bonuses, etc.

I’d like to take the two teams that’ll be weakest in challenging to gain promotion back to the Premier League. 😂

They all have their varying reasons (in no particular order):
Bournemouth - rivals.
Everton - funny, £500m over five years with no gain.
Forest - Proof that making 7,664,438 signings doesn’t work.
Leicester - funny.
Leeds - very funny, more listening to their fans.

On 26/02/2023 at 01:05, SNSUN said:

I really, really want to see Everton come down with us and Bournemouth. I don’t care if they’re champions next season, it will hugely take the heat off us in the summer when a “massive” (in the media’s eyes) club gets relegated. Sadly, as I suspected we should have done before appointing Jones, they brought in Dyche and will probably just be ok.

I still think Forest may drop with us and Bournemouth but Leeds Should be worried.

Like us, Everton have no outstanding striker that will keep their season interesting. Be brilliant to see them wave goodbye after all these years. also Palace.

On 26/02/2023 at 20:28, AlexLaw76 said:

We'll probably be up for sale sometime soon, with SR siphoning money off to get a return

This worries me too. I don't know enough about football finances, but the sale of Lavia, JWP, KWP, ABK, Tella and a few others could net £100-£125m which would clawback some revenue for SR.

Reducing losses to the point that a cut and run could be the most financially advantageous thing to do.

I'm sure they are looking at present and future value. Sell after this year and write off £100m or hang on a few more seasons mid table in the championship and be down £200m. Not an easy choice, but bailing sooner rather than later may be the best value option.

And let's be honest, most of us would like to see them to leave with a good nosebleed.

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2023 at 20:19, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think even the most red and white tinted of us are accepting the inevitable now. It's going to take an absolute epic run to see us to safety now. With this mind, what's everyone's preferred relegation buddies? For me, has to be Bournemouth and Everton. Can't stand Leeds either, but would be hilarious to see Everton drop at last. Bournemouth, because I just wouldn't be able to accept them being the only Premier League club in the region. 

I'll go with that, would be good to get one more visit to Goodison before they leave and quite funny if that's in the championship. 

Bournemouth as well , think decent chance the Skates come up that's couple of local derbies for us. 

I'd like Eaverton and Bournemouth to come down with us, can you imagine being in a lower league then fucking Bournemouth? 

The only thing we have left to play for now is trying not to be the worst Saint steam in top flight history. What was it 32 points in 2005? 

Cant remember what points we got when we went down from the old 1st division in 74?