Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Have to say I'm disappointed with all the cash swilling

Why are some fans acting as though we are in a great financial position.  We were relegated last season so are in a league with revenues massively smaller than the PL and the transfers this Summer are to pay for last seasons £160m net spend.

There is certainly no cash 'swilling' around.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

if the club were in a position to do that (get Piroe), they would. But quite clearly, they don't want to add another massive wage in case the Che move doesn't happen. 

Which is fair enough if Piroe wasn’t their top target and they purchase a better striker for a bigger fee that blows that league out of the water which requires waiting for Che to leave.

If the replacement performs worse than Piroe this season - and this season is what counts - that’s fair and square a fuck up and there’s been too many big fuck ups at the club in recent years. To let two managers down in successive Augusts around getting a headline striker would be the end of the road for SR with the entire fanbase. 

Duk is fine if they loan Mara out but not acceptable to our fanbase as a main striker. Trouble is, is any striker better than Piroe going to want to play in the Champ, even as one of the league’s biggest earners? And there’d be no slack for bedding in or learning RM’s style, it’s an expectation of 1 goal every 2 games at this level with the chances they’ll get. Big ask. 

They simply have to get this right. Tick tock.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, once_bitterne said:

Why are some fans acting as though we are in a great financial position.  We were relegated last season so are in a league with revenues massively smaller than the PL and the transfers this Summer are to pay for last seasons £160m net spend.

The statements put out on the club website indicated that the cash received for the players sold would support our efforts to rebuild the squad after last season.

• Like 3

The club statement reads: “Although disappointed to lose Livramento, the club chose to accept Newcastle’s latest bid as it both represented fair value for a player of his ability while the fee will also support the wider rebuilding project within the squad this summer.”

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

So are Leeds and there’s a thing called parachute payments. If SR want a Stoke or Swansea stuck in the Champ or a Wednesday bobbing between Champ and League One, then they’ve lost far more than one bad season and they will be stuck with a club post-parachute payments in three years leaking money and debt all over the show and no way of getting it going forward stuffed with FFP (also see QPR, our visitors on Saturday). Leeds and Leicester didn’t just sell the players for the fees we did and there’s probably still Adams/Sully/KWP to go. Get the main striker right if they will join and top two is a serious option this season. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Everton fan on the Ugly board thinks we may be after Maupay in part-ex for Che.

Useless in the Prem but might do a job in the Championship maybe…..

I would have thought it was the other way around, that Everton would want to wrap Maupay into the deal. He's completely done at Everton and they have no cash, so makes sense to them. 

Whether he's on our radar or wants to come here is another thing.

Edited by Fan The Flames

14 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Solanke to West Ham

Adams to Bournemouth 

Ings to Saints (loan)

You heard it here first.  Fuck the Circle of Twats.

No need for profanities Wade. We heard this rumour about three weeks ago from one of our sleepers but it didn’t pass CoT quality control. Our compliance levels are rather strict. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

I am trying to remain positive about this window...and to an extent still am...but I can't get rid of the nagging feeling that we are missing out on targets, and are going to be nowhere near a team that we were hoping for/expected, and that we will be having another  "Gakpo" situation on our hands....

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Solanke to West Ham

Adams to Bournemouth 

Ings to Saints (loan)

You heard it here first.  Fuck the Circle of Twats.

I'm sorry you failed the entrance exam. We will review all applications again after Christmas.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

From what I was told, sounds like we want Piroe (or alternative) as well as Che, not instead of. 

This makes a lot of sense given Martin favours AA in midfield. But, it begs the question why we didn't move on Piroe earlier?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

This makes a lot of sense given Martin favours AA in midfield. But, it begs the question why we didn't move on Piroe earlier?

Im quite surprised we aren’t in for him for 12m tbh

Seems reasonably cheap for known quality that also knows the system and manager

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

From what I was told, sounds like we want Piroe (or alternative) as well as Che, not instead of. 

It makes complete sense. We cannot rely on anyone other than Che through the middle. 

Can't believe we've not been all over Piroe at 12m. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

And you will complain when your "followers" latch on to this.

I don’t complain Badger, I just carry on with life content in the fact that I have one. But as they say, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Why begrudge me the opportunity to get my own back occasionally?

Anyway, I am still waiting patiently for all of this amazing transfer activity that he promised us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

So Romano thinks Piroe is on his way to have a medical at Leeds today. I hope he isn't a priority target.

Not sure if already shared...

Yeah it has but more is better. Bit strange that some of the Leeds papers haven’t picked up on it that I can see.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm sorry you failed the entrance exam. We will review all applications again after Christmas.

Crikey CB are you now part of the application process,? I was under the impression Turkish was the god and the followers were draped around his feet in white robes waiting to lap up his every word. A bit like a Grand Master in a Masonic Hall, but in a shed

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t complain Badger, I just carry on with life content in the fact that I have one. But as they say, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Why begrudge me the opportunity to get my own back occasionally?

Anyway, I am still waiting patiently for all of this amazing transfer activity that he promised us.

There you go @buctootimhe deserves everything he gets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we bought Piroe before we sell Che, surely it means that clubs cant hold us to ransom on the last day of the window. Yes that would leave the possibility of having 2 scorers who do a similar job, but god forbid (if he stays) Che getting injured, also a case that the season is pretty tough. Add to all this if Piroe is only 24there must be a tremendous upside of him improving and his value going up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

How would we ever know?

You're normally such a ray of sunshine most of the time

Mr Bean Beach GIF by Working Title Mr Bean Beach GIF by Working Title

I'm incredibly positive when we do something to warrant it. I'll leave it to others though to rate last summers transfer window as a 9 or 10 and take the flack when I rate us lower and state exactly why. That's not positivity it's delusion. 

• Like 3

Rank Player Club Goals[84]
1 England Chuba Akpom Middlesbrough 28
2 Sweden Viktor Gyökeres Coventry City 21
3 England Carlton Morris Luton Town 20
4 Netherlands Joël Piroe Swansea City 19
5 Wales Tom Bradshaw Millwall 17
England Nathan Tella Burnley
7 Netherlands Zian Flemming Millwall 15
8 Ivory Coast Amad Diallo1 Sunderland 14
Chile Ben Brereton Díaz Blackburn Rovers
Senegal Iliman Ndiaye Sheffield United
England Jerry Yates Blackpool

Apropos of nothing, here is the top scorer list from the Championship last season. 

Akpom gone to Holland

Gyokeres gone to Portugal

Morris in the Prem

Piroe...

Bradshaw old but still with Millwall

TELLA - thankfully still with us

Flemming - still with Millwall - done well to hang on to those 2!

Diallo - was wanted by us and a few other clubs but has since been injured

Diaz - gone to Spain

Ndiaye - gone to France

Yates - joined Swansea

We'll definitely see a much different top scorers list this season but it shows what a commodity Piroe is right now. If he wasn't in his last year of contract Swansea would be demanding £20 million +. I definitely hope we hold on to one of Adams and Tella though (if not both), to lose both would be foolhardy.

• Like 3

If Piroe is definitely up in Leeds on a medical then it signals one of three things…

a. Assuming he’s aware of our interest, he wants to join Leeds as they’ve actually put an offer in.

b. He’s been made aware aware that we’re not selling Che and doesn’t fancy playing 2nd fiddle.

c. We’re selling Che, but have another striker lined up that will deliver a better return (I.e. sell on fee) than Piroe. My moneys on this one.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If Piroe is definitely up in Leeds on a medical then it signals one of three things…

a. Assuming he’s aware of our interest, he wants to join Leeds as they’ve actually put an offer in.

b. He’s been made aware aware that we’re not selling Che and doesn’t fancy playing 2nd fiddle.

c. We’re selling Che, but have another striker lined up that will deliver a better return (I.e. sell on fee) than Piroe. My moneys on this one.

While Piroe is probably the one the fans want, because of the fact it makes sense, his age, his association with Martin, his 1 in 2 goal record at this level etc, I would hazard a pretty good guess that the scouting department at Southampton has a list of other targets. As you say, maybe we've got one up our sleeve that we prefer to Piroe. (This may not be a good thing, we've seen the players we've signed over the last year. We just have to hope with Wilcox on board we recruit better). 

1 hour ago, Pat from Poole said:

Everton fan on the Ugly board thinks we may be after Maupay in part-ex for Che.

Useless in the Prem but might do a job in the Championship maybe…..

He’s shite isn’t he? I seem to remember us being interested in him before. As Kraken says can’t see why we’d be in for him as he’s similar to Armstrong. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Appy said:

A relatively decent source has told me Che really doesn’t want to go to Everton, so hopefully it’s correct. 

Ché Zach Everton Fred Adams doesn't want to join Everton? I find that hard to believe tbh.

looks like the problem is we need to shift players - because of wages - before we can bring players in.

I have a feeling despite relegation clauses and pay cuts Saints wage bill is still much bigger than we can really afford in the Championship - even with the parachute payments. 

That and the fact Sports Republic want the £150M or whatever it was they put in to the club before relegation back and that is where most of the money made from selling players will be going.

Saints are going to have to pay the money back to Sports Republic out of transfer revenues and then be self financing out of the parachute payments, normal revenue and any additional transfer funds. With Sports Republic wanting a slice of that as well.

Remember its a business - they aren't here to win things - or lose money.  

We probably needed to sell one of Adams, Onuachu or Mara before we could make a bid for Piroe.  Ideally I think they probably wanted to keep Adams, sell the other 2 and bring in Piroe.

Even if we keep Adams and Adarma we still need another striker as we can't rely on Onuachu or Mara to provide cover by the looks of it.

It looks like it a similar situation at centreback where we will need to shift one or both of Lyanco and ABK before we bring anyone else in. Which - as we know you can't rely on those two - leaves us very short at the back.

The biggest disappointment of the window so far has not been that we haven't kept our better players - at this level - such as  Alcaraz, Smallbone, Bazunu, Stephens, Bednarek, Adams, Adarma, Stu.  Its that we haven't been able to shift the players like Onuachu, Lyanco, McArthy, ABK, Djneppo, Mara, Sulemana and Airbo and replace them with better players.   

I always expected the stars - JWP, Lavia, Tino, KWP - to leave.  

It really leaves us with a first 11 that more or less picks itself but not really any depth or quality beyond that.