Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

I went to the game today and we may have played against ten for an hour but the pressure the United players and the crowd put on the ref was shocking. 

that was a good point. We look so solid at the back and the keeper did great. Perraud was good. Lavia was the best midfielder on the park. 

Credit to Bednarek too. Had a really good game 

• Like 9

Very good result and performance to boot. Only complaint we can really have is that we didn't take all 3, which I wasn't even thinking of prior to kick off. Almost exactly a month ago we were playing against a 10 man Wolves team with a goal advantage at home and lost 2-1. We were by far the worst team in the league, had no fight in us and were sinking without a whimper. 

Now, we're fighting again and that's the main thing. We're fighting at the right time, while the likes of Leicester, Palace and Forest after a little resurgence are struggling when time is running out.

Yes, we could have scored today and a better team would have, but we also had to get through Varane, Martinez and De Gea, who are all playing at the top of their game, barring last week and currently up there with the best. Shaw's back to his best also and Wan-Bissaka is known for being one of the better defensive full-backs. Their strength is their defence, while Rashford is in the best form of his career and scoring everything, which we stopped today. 

One thing that always leaves me perplexed is how Walcott's technical ability has diminished almost over night. He's lost the explosive pace he had, but I always felt he was a bit underrated for his actual footballing ability at Arsenal. It was only 2017 when he hit 19 goals in 37 appearances in all comps (10 in 28 in the league) and some of the goals he did score were of a high quality. But, today, nothing fell for him. The header, the 1 v 1 and the failed through ball on the counter to JWP. You expect a player to lose pace, etc. as they get older, but he's not playing like a player who spent 13 years at Arsenal and won 47 England caps. But, ah well, suppose his footballing brain is still good and he's better than a lot of our other number 10s who can't even work a chance.

Key thing now is that we give a similar performance against Brentford in midweek. We've had plenty of false dawns this season, beating Chelsea twice, beating City in the cup and then following it with an amateur performance where the players don't look like they've seen each other before. We need to make this the start of a good run now, up the Saints!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

The Redcafe is hilarious, absolutely delusional fans - I doubt any of them ever go to Old Trafford tbf - but apparently they were playing 10 vs 13 (ref and var against them), it was never a pen, they committed no dives, and they should have had a blatant penalty... also, we played for the draw apparently... despite having 17 shots and hitting the woodwork like 3 times. What a truly obnoxious fanbase....

Anyway, added bonus over how mad its made them 🤣

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-southampton.476151/page-2

image.png.8384cd4ba6e25d3b31396831e0d3f952.png

This gem in particular - "we got robbed today. One of the worst performances of a ref I've ever seen. I really hope ETH goes berserk now, ban or not. There is no excuse anymore for the refs, absolutely pathetic performance.

Soton are horric though and I hope they get relegated. 1 man more and they still play for the draw those absolute C***ts."

🙄

Saints 17 shots   United 10...and we might have won, but for the woodwork..so who was playing for a draw?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Very good result and performance to boot. Only complaint we can really have is that we didn't take all 3, which I wasn't even thinking of prior to kick off. Almost exactly a month ago we were playing against a 10 man Wolves team with a goal advantage at home and lost 2-1. We were by far the worst team in the league, had no fight in us and were sinking without a whimper. 

Now, we're fighting again and that's the main thing. We're fighting at the right time, while the likes of Leicester, Palace and Forest after a little resurgence are struggling when time is running out.

Yes, we could have scored today and a better team would have, but we also had to get through Varane, Martinez and De Gea, who are all playing at the top of their game, barring last week and currently up there with the best. Shaw's back to his best also and Wan-Bissaka is known for being one of the better defensive full-backs. Their strength is their defence, while Rashford is in the best form of his career and scoring everything, which we stopped today. 

One thing that always leaves me perplexed is how Walcott's technical ability has diminished almost over night. He's lost the explosive pace he had, but I always felt he was a bit underrated for his actual footballing ability at Arsenal. It was only 2017 when he hit 19 goals in 37 appearances in all comps (10 in 28 in the league) and some of the goals he did score were of a high quality. But, today, nothing fell for him. The header, the 1 v 1 and the failed through ball on the counter to JWP. You expect a player to lose pace, etc. as they get older, but he's not playing like a player who spent 13 years at Arsenal and won 47 England caps. But, ah well, suppose his footballing brain is still good and he's better than a lot of our other number 10s who can't even work a chance.

Key thing now is that we give a similar performance against Brentford in midweek. We've had plenty of false dawns this season, beating Chelsea twice, beating City in the cup and then following it with an amateur performance where the players don't look like they've seen each other before. We need to make this the start of a good run now, up the Saints!

With 7 points from 4 games, 3 of which were away and included Chelsea and Man Utd, haven't we already started a good run? Think it's more a case of extending a good run.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LegalEagle said:

If we go down it will be the fault of one person only and we know who that is. Those games in January against our relegation rivals was a disaster. We replicate the results from the last 4 games over the next 12 and we stay up. Jones is squarely to blame - not our lack of goals. The worse manager this club has appointed in the last 50 years.

Jones is not to blame, he did his best, smart arse Ankersen is the one at fault. 

• Like 2

Fantastic performance from us today which has produced another clean sheet. Momentum is definitely building for us. The whole team was outstanding, Lavia is just a phenomenal midfielder - he's got everything, Alcaraz is class, Bazunu was top class and made that outstanding stop along with dominating his area. KWP class and so unlucky with his shot that hit the post. Prowsey so unlucky with the freekick too which hit the bar. Perraud, ABK and Bednarek very good too. On another day with a bit more luck we win that but so happy with a point. Ruben Selles has completely transformed us - let's get a victory on Weds to push us up the table - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 9

46 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

Couldn’t get anywhere near the game today, what formation did we play? 

Super happy we’re keeping clean sheets which will breed confidence 

Very much a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 - which worked perfectly.

You had the back 4, who were stable and balanced. Two in the pivot in front in JWP and Lavia (either covering if a full back went forward). Then in front in a number 10 Alcaraz, with Sulumana and Walcott in the wide areas - but playing inverted at times. Adams up top on his own.

At times Alcaraz joined Adams as a second striker, but it was a really fluid formation and it suited our lads perfectly.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, ChadsaSaint said:

Really enjoyed watching the lads put in a great performance. Only grip was Tall Paul, he didn't seem to get on any ball in the time he was on pitch. Who would have been better coming on/staying on?

Agreed. Moment for me is a long throw, surely perfect for him to attack but he was easily kept away from it. 

1 hour ago, John B said:

Lucky Point but it is nice to have a bit of luck for a change

Defence seems to be playing OK which is good

However without decent goal scorers we are going to get relegated

Did you mean to post this on Red Cafe?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, obelisk said:

If Saints had any composure in the final third they'd be easily mid table.

While a point at Old Trafford is not to be sniffed at, the failure to score against 10 men is a worry.

It’s not only that

if we had drawn against forest, wolves and Leeds, all results that really should’ve been the minimum based on how the games were played, we’d be 13th. Amazing when you think about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

While a point at Old Trafford is not to be sniffed at, the failure to score against 10 men is a worry.

Totally agree that we're missing a clinical striker (or two) but I've just watched the highlights of today's game and ("I know it's a cliché but...") it was more a case of fine margins rather than our finishing being woeful, per se. If that JWP free-kick skims the underside of the bar rather than the top of the bar, or that KWP effort is 2 centimetres to the right and goes in off the post then we come away with 3 points. Again, cliché territory, but I think we win more games than not if we play to the level we played today. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kenilworthy said:

Hilariously, the BBC have nominated Stuart Armstrong as player of the match with 7.91 while Onuachu who I think may not have touched the ball gets 6.56.

Aren't the BBC ratings voted for by the general public? (Aka Utd fans having a bit of a chuckle?)

Edited by trousers

56 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

My old man would have said Shaw should have been sent off at the end, he hates when players foul like that with no intention of winning the ball. 'Should be playing rugby'.....😅

No more than a yellow, all day long. Wasn't dirty, or stopping a player clean through on goal. A classic "taking one for the team." If one of our players had done it I'd be mentally patting him on the back.

My MOM today was….the ref. So good to see a competent ref making clear minded decisions and not helping out the big team, crumble to moaning superstars, or make a name for himself. Compare that to the ref for Grimsby and that’s what I fear most about the drop - not the loss of players, lack of big games, tv, but the drop in standard of refs.

hope the 7-8 key players get enough recovery in time for Brentford. Particularly the high energy players like lavia, JWP, alcaraz, KWP, sullymana

• Like 7

1 hour ago, obelisk said:

no, if we hadn't wasted our winnable games letting Jones try and manage us we'd be mid table, such a needless relegation.... if it happens

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

no, if we hadn't wasted our winnable games letting Jones try and manage us we'd be mid table, such a needless relegation.... if it happens

Still think it's highly likely we only have like a dozen games left and arguably a tougher run in we can still do it but it's looking increasingly unlikely while the teams around us win... Yes the decision to stick with Jones will be a big factor in our demise but not as big as the factor of appointing him in the first place... And the Jones appointment couldn't have been solely ankersons idea? 

Probably the best defensive display of the season. Yes they had 10 men but even before then I thought we looked solid.

Bazunu had his best game since joining. Bednarek was sensational. Lavia ran the midfield. Lots of really good individual performances.

Got to back that up now; two home games, if we can get 4 points, I'll be happy. Won't be easy though.

Just got back - some observations

Our back line was superb especially the 2 CB's - Janny B's best game i can remember in a Saints shirt

F**k me - does Fernandes like to moan or what!

Yet again this season the Saints away fans were great - full allocation sold & made noise the whole game

• Like 3

10 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Great news.      Have you got your seat booked on the supporters bus ?

No a long car drive, but worth it!

Gavin and back four superb, JWP and Lavia very good and I thought a decent performance from Adams.  One goal conceded in four PL games is excellent, and continuing to defend that way will give us a real chance.  

Bigger picture is that we started the weekend six points off 12th placed Palace and we end it just five points.  It’s going to be a hell of a relegation dog fight but we finally look like we have the character for it, and fans, players and manager all on the same page which is not the case at Wet Spam and Leicester.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

corrected for you :)

Surely player is correct, since it is a judgement on who played best, not who was the best man.

Unless you felt a throbbing desire to run your fingers through his curly locks and were overcome by how manly his thighs were, I think player is more appropriate.

Ditto player of the season. Noone says man of the season do they. Who was our most manly man this season so far? Not jwp, for sure, and he is probably going to be our player of the season.

Player of the match. And it was bednarek or Lavia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just back in from a brutal drive. Hope everyone on the roads back south does so safely. Horrible in patches.

Well... You won't many 0-0's better than that. United fans crying hysterics over both the red (was absolutely a red now I've seen it back) and Bella-Kotchup's handball (arm planted on ground, which as we know isn't a handball). The Old Trafford mob don't half play up to the theatre of the Theatre of Dreams. Crying hysteria over every decision that has a fraction of a chance of going their way.

As for us... How we haven't scored is beyond me, but it was an excellent display by (largely) everyone, but special mention to Bazunu and... can't believe I'm saying this... Jan "Beckenbauer" Bednarek. I've given both ample stick, but blow me they were magnificent today. Jan cocked up once early doors when he shafted a simple ball from a slip, but from that moment on he was a monster of a man at the back.

Bazunu couldn't be faulted. His positioning was absolutely on-point, he got down to a few he probably didn't have a right to and he was confident in everything he even contemplated today. If he can keep that vein of form up, the lad can be anything.

The outstanding negative for me, unfortunately, was Kamaldeen Sulemana. The lad just screams Fabrice Fernandes. Runs and runs and runs and runs, but couldn't pick a pass if his life depended on it and that only comes if he decides he is actually going to release the ball. FFS!

Adam Armstrong done himself no favours, which for a fairly brief cameo was quite an achievement. If we needed any confirmation he has no hope at this level, it was firmly rubberstamped.

Lavia was excellent defensively but wasn't his usual self on the ball, though they very obviously had done their homework on him, which is a compliment to the impact he is having. He was superb at breaking up their play mind, which is his main task.

Alcaraz looked like he hadn't trained all week. Put himself about as he does, but didn't have the impact he can do.

All in... A successful enough trip. My youngest has been well and truly bitten by the away day bug, anyway. :)

22 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Just back in from a brutal drive. Hope everyone on the roads back south does so safely. Horrible in patches.

Well... You won't many 0-0's better than that. United fans crying hysterics over both the red (was absolutely a red now I've seen it back) and Bella-Kotchup's handball (arm planted on ground, which as we know isn't a handball). The Old Trafford mob don't half play up to the theatre of the Theatre of Dreams. Crying hysteria over every decision that has a fraction of a chance of going their way.

As for us... How we haven't scored is beyond me, but it was an excellent display by (largely) everyone, but special mention to Bazunu and... can't believe I'm saying this... Jan "Beckenbauer" Bednarek. I've given both ample stick, but blow me they were magnificent today. Jan cocked up once early doors when he shafted a simple ball from a slip, but from that moment on he was a monster of a man at the back.

Bazunu couldn't be faulted. His positioning was absolutely on-point, he got down to a few he probably didn't have a right to and he was confident in everything he even contemplated today. If he can keep that vein of form up, the lad can be anything.

The outstanding negative for me, unfortunately, was Kamaldeen Sulemana. The lad just screams Fabrice Fernandes. Runs and runs and runs and runs, but couldn't pick a pass if his life depended on it and that only comes if he decides he is actually going to release the ball. FFS!

Adam Armstrong done himself no favours, which for a fairly brief cameo was quite an achievement. If we needed any confirmation he has no hope at this level, it was firmly rubberstamped.

Lavia was excellent defensively but wasn't his usual self on the ball, though they very obviously had done their homework on him, which is a compliment to the impact he is having. He was superb at breaking up their play mind, which is his main task.

Alcaraz looked like he hadn't trained all week. Put himself about as he does, but didn't have the impact he can do.

All in... A successful enough trip. My youngest has been well and truly bitten by the away day bug, anyway. :)

I loved fabbers!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

just seen this, absolutely pathetic behaviour. 

aside from the fact it’s gross it doesn’t make sense either, half or more of United’s team are black or non white? Probably more than half the league are non white too, but they still watch every week?

Edited by Brissysaint

7 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Hilariously, the BBC have nominated Stuart Armstrong as player of the match with 7.91 while Onuachu who I think may not have touched the ball gets 6.56.

While not man of the match, one thing Armstrong did do was show Selles that he, not Elyounoussi, is the player to trust in that advanced midfield role.   Added to the attack and tracked back well defensively.

Without doubt the best 0-0 draw I've seen in ages.   Not a bad Southampton player but Lavia, both WP's, both CBs, Perraud, Bazunu and Stuart Armstrong all good.   Lavia, Ward-Prowse, KWP and Bella-Kotchup outstanding.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, skintsaint said:

My old man would have said Shaw should have been sent off at the end, he hates when players foul like that with no intention of winning the ball. 'Should be playing rugby'.....😅

Shaw got away with one at the end of the first half too 

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me is our ball retention is so much better than under Jones. People are showing for the ball and we're playing out of tight spaces.

It's been so long since we've been able to pressure teams it was like they were remembering how to play in the final third.

• Like 1

I see Ten Hag is moaning about referee consistency with handball.

He is right, we were robbed at St Mary's when Mctomminay was playing basketball in his own penalty area. 

Im sure he was in about that!?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ashnats said:

Surely player is correct, since it is a judgement on who played best, not who was the best man.

Unless you felt a throbbing desire to run your fingers through his curly locks and were overcome by how manly his thighs were, I think player is more appropriate.

Ditto player of the season. Noone says man of the season do they. Who was our most manly man this season so far? Not jwp, for sure, and he is probably going to be our player of the season.

Player of the match. And it was bednarek or Lavia.

was and always has been man of the match, don't try and  turn what I said in to some weird homo erotic thing just because I like to use the correct gender specific term.

but I do agree Bednarek or Lavia got man of the match for me

• Like 2

Loving the comments of Manure chromosome free deadheads on youtube. Seems that their investment in referee corruption didn't pay off. From Fergie Time to all their other entitlements, Anthony Taylor failed. ALL the decisions went against them! One of the intellectually challenged insists that it was not a red card but that VAR proved it was. How can you argue against that logic? Entitled twats.

Have woken up today even happier with that result. Their entitlement to just expect to squash teams like is infuriating. Shame we didn't get all 3 points but we are alive.

There are plenty of twist and turns left. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a nervy last game of the season for quite a few clubs.