James Ward-Prowse

harvey

• 3 weeks later...

Gutting. I don't think I've felt properly sad about a playing leaving since that lallana-ignited summer exodus. But I am sad about this one. I know there is a small minority that were never convinced, but I do think history will show what a vital player JWP has been for us over the years. I feel that our last few seasons in the prem saw a very small handful of players constantly getting our incredibly poor squad out of trouble which were JWP, Romeu, KWP, and also Ings though of course he left earlier. I don't think it is coincidence that those first 3 all lost form, and as soon as they did, we absolutely plummeted. There was very little quality in the squad, and they could no longer be expected to keep bailing us out. They burnt out.

I felt JWP was at his best when Ralph's 4-2-2-2 was operating at its finest in those first couple of seasons. JWP was so instrumental in that press, winning the ball back and pushing us forward. It was when his game transformed and played alot more forward passes, helped that we at least had a bit of quality for once up there with Ings. 

Not a natural captain, but felt he did his best to lead. The fact that none of us could barely suggest an alternative who had clear leadership skills and likely to start. It wasn't JWP that we lost so many leaders, that is the fault of the hierarchy. And besides, you could still the greatest of captains in last seasons side and they are still getting relegated, that's how shit we were. 

Gonna be gutting watching him break the freekick record elsewhere. Especially fucking West Ham. But he is one of the very few players I sincerely hope does well. Usually I just forget about a player and don't really care if they do good/bad (though some is amusing when they fail elsewhere) but JWP has earned the right to give himself one last opportunity to get into an England tournament side, and he can't do it in the Championship

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 15
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Gutting. I don't think I've felt properly sad about a playing leaving since that lallana-ignited summer exodus. But I am sad about this one. I know there is a small minority that were never convinced, but I do think history will show what a vital player JWP has been for us over the years. I feel that our last few seasons in the prem saw a very small handful of players constantly getting our incredibly poor squad out of trouble which were JWP, Romeu, KWP, and also Ings though of course he left earlier. I don't think it is coincidence that those first 3 all lost form, and as soon as they did, we absolutely plummeted. There was very little quality in the squad, and they could no longer be expected to keep bailing us out. They burnt out.

I felt JWP was at his best when Ralph's 4-2-2-2 was operating at its finest in those first couple of seasons. JWP was so instrumental in that press, winning the ball back and pushing us forward. It was when his game transformed and played alot more forward passes, helped that we at least had a bit of quality for once up there with Ings. 

Not a natural captain, but felt he did his best to lead. The fact that none of us could barely suggest an alternative who had clear leadership skills and likely to start. It wasn't JWP that we lost so many leaders, that is the fault of the hierarchy. And besides, you could still the greatest of captains in last seasons side and they are still getting relegated, that's how shit we were. 

Gonna be gutting watching him break the freekick record elsewhere. Especially fucking West Ham. But he is one of the very few players I sincerely hope does well. Usually I just forget about a player and don't really care if they do good/bad (though some is amusing when they fail elsewhere) but JWP has earned the right to give himself one last opportunity to get into an England tournament side, and he can't do it in the Championship

Agreed. Think we will miss him a lot more than we realise. Probably the only player I was really bothered about losing along with KWP. I thought he would have given us until January to see what the season was panning out like. Fee for me is 10m to light. Should have stuck out for 40m and not bothered about the add ons. 

• Like 8

I’ll admit that in the Prem I was not convinced he had enough about him…didn’t like his version of ‘crab football’. But he is a much better prospect in Martins system and the task to get promoted, so if he leaves I feel certain the overall squad quality will take a marked dip once again and with that our chances of promotion this year will be diminished. There’s not another player in the squad currently to replace what JWP brings and I’m not sure Saints have a replacement lined up of equal or better quality. Sad to see him go.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’ll admit that in the Prem I was not convinced he had enough about him…didn’t like his version of ‘crab football’. But he is a much better prospect in Martins system and the task to get promoted, so if he leaves I feel certain the overall squad quality will take a marked dip once again and with that our chances of promotion this year will be diminished. There’s not another player in the squad currently to replace what JWP brings and I’m not sure Saints have a replacement lined up of equal or better quality. Sad to see him go.

9 goals and almost having broken Beckham's free kick record at just 28 years of age I would suggest is 'enough about him' for the premier league. We are going to really see how good he was when he is not with us.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's sad when a decent footballer, decent chap and decent servant to the club leaves. Good luck to him, I wish him all the best.

It is sad when they leave, but I really feel he is making a huge mistake going to West Ham, it feels to me that they are going to be a shambles this season, he could do so much better even without joining a big 6/7 team. To me the obvious fit was Brighton, I think he may well live to regret going there.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

It is sad when they leave, but I really feel he is making a huge mistake going to West Ham, it feels to me that they are going to be a shambles this season, he could do so much better even without joining a big 6/7 team. To me the obvious fit was Brighton, I think he may well live to regret going there.

Or regret going to live there.

I know that part of East London and West Essex very well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warsash saint said:

I can understand the lure of playing in the Champions League but why would anyone want leave to have the opportunity to play on a Thursday night in Uzbekistan in some tin pot competition??  

It's not a tin pot competition, I would love Saints to be in it.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Just out of interest, how do we know that JWP wants to go? It may just be a business decision. I have not seen anywhere that he is unsettled or looking for a move....only from posters on here.

I have wondered about this. A few things were said in one of Martin's press conferences/interviews that implied some players would be encouraged to move. 

Edited by Saint86

9 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

I can understand the lure of playing in the Champions League but why would anyone want leave to have the opportunity to play on a Thursday night in Uzbekistan in some tin pot competition??  

More money, playing in a better team and league, plus the chance to beat Beckham's free-kick record?

• Like 2

Whatever you think of his all around game and leadership, the fact is we are losing one of the best players in the division, who would probably have scored 15 goals this season. Finding someone who can replace those goals is going to be incredibly difficult

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Was hoping the ones that were being encouraged to move were the shit ones

Martin had mentioned that they have such a large group, that there are two sessions.

Yet, there are players who will have to be replaced if they leave. Shows the reall lack of quality and real depth we may have.

Charles may have been a Lavia replacement. But we still need cover there, and have done since Romeu left. If JWP leaves, then Grimes may cover both.

If KWP leaves, we'll need someone there.

We already need more potency up front, and seemingly have to wait to shift people out for a suitable fee. It wouldn't be horrible to bring someone in anyway. The goal is promotion, so giving Martin the tools for that, as early as possible wouldn't hurt. And give others a push to move on.

So lots to shift, but we could still need some key additions.

Not surprised, we knew it was coming, just a shame it’s to a shit team like West Ham. Guess that’s what happens though when you’re not as good as people make out and nobody else comes in for you. If Hammers fans are expecting him to fill the shoes of Rice they’re going to be disappointed.

I’d laugh my bollocks off if they got relegated this season and we went up.

Massive shame as he would have absolutely thrived under Martin. Think he’ll do well at West Ham though - great signing for them at a good price.

We’re going to need a lot more than Smallbone and Charles in midfield - that’s if Smallbone stays. Also everyone knows we have cash so expect massively inflated prices. 

Stephens captain - let’s see if there is a marked improvement for on field captaincy given most on here felt JWP couldn’t do that job.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Or regret going to live there.

I know that part of East London and West Essex very well.

Doubt he will move to the area, don't think that is an issue (it is one of my ancestral homes on my Dad's side, I know it pretty well). I thought also his wife had said they weren't moving. Pretty sure JWP is not pushing for a move but think a better option will come along, especially now he knows he will be playing in front of Maguire, a real step down on Stephens 😉

What a crap transfer. 

Could have been a true legend, now (in my eyes) he'll never quite be remembered at that level. 

Hope they get relegated next season anyway and we go past them in the opposite direction. 

Pisses me off that we'll have to watch him break the free kick record in another teams shirt though. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Just out of interest, how do we know that JWP wants to go? It may just be a business decision. I have not seen anywhere that he is unsettled or looking for a move....only from posters on here.

If we're forcing him out the door for £30million then that's a terrible business decision. 

Think it's a terrible decision anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Was hoping the ones that were being encouraged to move were the shit ones

Lest we forget that just mere weeks ago we were all saying we'd be happy for every last one of them to be sold, such was our despair at relegation and the nature of our non-performances under three managers. I think it's odd that so many of our players are being bigged up by those same fans literally just a few weeks later and after one win over a very weak team. I really don't buy the argument that the club is selling the crown jewels because I'm not sure we have any, although I concede that JWP was undoubtedly one of the few talents we have/had.

But he was never going to stay. Once we were relegated, of course he as going. Honestly it's just a shame it didn't happen at the start of the window to minimise the disruption.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I have wondered about this. A few things were said in one of Martin's press conferences/interviews that implied some players would be encouraged to move. 

He was talking about players like Aribo and Djenepo, not our captain. I can’t imagine for a second that we wanted rid of JWP.

30 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What a crap transfer. 

Could have been a true legend, now (in my eyes) he'll never quite be remembered at that level. 

Hope they get relegated next season anyway and we go past them in the opposite direction. 

Pisses me off that we'll have to watch him break the free kick record in another teams shirt though. 

I don’t think JWP would ever have been remembered as a ‘true legend’, just a consistently okay player who takes excellent free kicks.

• Haha 1

This forum really drives me nuts sometimes. Yesterday everyone was praising JW for standing firm on transfer fees. Today everyone is moaning that we are selling JWP on the cheap even though we don't have any idea what the final deal is. Comments such as "SR up to their usual transfer window tricks" don't add up.

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He was talking about players like Aribo and Djenepo, not our captain. I can’t imagine for a second that we wanted rid of JWP.

I don’t think JWP would ever have been remembered as a ‘true legend’, just a consistently okay player who takes excellent free kicks.

If he had stayed his entire career with us he would have been a legend, especially if he had captained us back into the Prem and kept us there till retirement. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Totally disagree with that. Never expected him to stay but if he had and taken us back up he would’ve been regarded as far more than just ok with excellent freekicks. 

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

This forum really drives me nuts sometimes. Yesterday everyone was praising JW for standing firm on transfer fees. Today everyone is moaning that we are selling JWP on the cheap even though we don't have any idea what the final deal is. Comments such as "SR up to their usual transfer window tricks" don't add up.

yep, considering this is the first transfer window they've sold anyone decent and have got good fees for Tino and Salisu im not really sure what "Up to their usual tricks" are.

• Like 2

JWP should be a 'legend' for his unequalled work rate and fitness and ability to play every minute of every season also to be the team's top goalscorer though not a forward. What more do fans want to make a 'legend'?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ward-Prowse not playing for Saints on Saturday

James Ward Prowse will not play for Southampton in their Championship game against Norwich this weekend. 

The midfielder would like to play but knows it's best to avoid playing and risk injury.

West Ham have an agreement in principle to sign Ward-Prowse from Southampton.

So what now is going to do some lap of honour bollocks like he's saved us from financial ruin due to getting a transfer fee for us. Melt.

6 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

James Ward Prowse will not play for Southampton in their Championship game against Norwich this weekend. 

The midfielder would like to play but knows it's best to avoid playing and risk injury.

So what now is going to do some lap of honour bollocks like he's saved us from financial ruin due to getting a transfer fee for us. Melt.

Well he was never gonna play once the deal had been agreed. I can’t believe anyone honestly thought it was a possibility! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

I hope he just stays away personally. If you're going to go then feck off and let's some other players hopefully save us. The season has started and this is a distraction we don't need. 

• Like 3

I understand him moving on, but his place in the club's history as the captain of a promotion winning side would have been very different to this, the captain of a relegation side, who left for West ham. 

He has been a good player for us, and seems a decent lad. 

However I don't think he should be anywhere near St Mary's on Saturday, if he has chosen to move on its about the current squad not him. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

I get its painful for some fans that he's off. But it doesn't need the hostility he's getting from some corners. He's been here since he was a kid (20years now), loves the club, had chances to move before, and has given us great service. He's equally soon to turn 29, watched basically all his team mates and much of the backroom staff leave over that period, and he is in his prime chasing an England call up and European football. He probably should sense the mood, he's leaving now whilst we're about to go through a very tough period, he doesn't need to be making a big song and dance out of that as well...

Seen a few photos of his time at the club since he was a kid, posing with shaw and mcqueen in the academy, his prem debut vs city, of him/lambert/lallana/jayrod all posing after their england call up etc. He really has become part of the furniture and it is the end of an era in that regard. I wonder how many other players we'll have that do 20years?

But if people want to be angry, the target should be Sports Republic... the fact we're taking a huge financial hit in a lower league is a shit show almost entirely of their own making after last year's absolute debacle. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I understand him moving on, but his place in the club's history as the captain of a promotion winning side would have been very different to this, the captain of a relegation side, who left for West ham. 

He has been a good player for us, and seems a decent lad. 

However I don't think he should be anywhere near St Mary's on Saturday, if he has chosen to move on its about the current squad not him. 

100% this. If he goes he's old news and nothing like real legends such as Lambert. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

If he had stayed his entire career with us he would have been a legend, especially if he had captained us back into the Prem and kept us there till retirement. 

For me if he'd stayed and got us up then left he would be a legend. As it is he captained us to relegation. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Where is this from, Sky reporting Saints have requested he play.

31 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

The only melt here is you. Its quite simple, hes been at the club for 20 years so obviously he would like it to end on the pitch at home. That obviously wont be happening, but hes hardly wanting to portray himself as some financial saviour 🤪

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse