Sunderland 5-0 Southampton

coalman

fucking shit pass Alcaraz...who perhaps had no one to pass to...and then non existent marking. Sums up the performance.  We don't seem to know what we are doing and our shape makes defending more difficult than it should be.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

This is more than just a bad day at the office. Worrying lack of passion.

It's the tactical set up. We've been spoiling for a hiding all season and we've just had it. Question is whether RM can change it. On current evidence, he won't. 

• Like 7

Downes just stands watching and Baz does a bad impression of a pro keeper. 5-0 to a team that were in L1 season before last. An extremely poor performance from Manager and his team. Sunderland wanted it more. Embarrassing doesn’t really cover it.

8/10 window…mmm?

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

Don't understand that starting lineup?

Why start Mara when we have Fraser, who given his time at Newcastle would probably have thrived against their biggest rivals. 

Why no Charles when he could have offered some protection to the two centre backs, who've never played together before?

Still not sure about Edozie. I'd have put A. Armstrong out there and let Che play the central role.  

So many bizarre decisions. 

• Like 8

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Downes just stands watching and Baz does a bad impression of a pro keeper. 5-0 to a team that were in L1 last season. An extremely poor performance from Manager and his team. Sunderland wanted it more. Embarrassing doesn’t really cover it.

8/10 window…mmm?

They weren't in league one last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

Good goalkeeping again there from Baz

Honestly baffles me how there are still people defending him.

Got his hand to that but couldn't keep it out cos he has paper wrists. He is utter fucking shite. 

I'm trying to think of a worse keeper we've had in all my years watching Saints, and I honestly can't.

He needs dropping now. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, James said:

Didn't think I would be saying this but I don't think Martin will be here at the end of the season. 

Mate, any more 'efforts' like that and I'll be actively hoping he isn't. I had serious misgivings about his appointment. We were all warned about the number of goals his teams throw in. Nothing I have seen today dispels those misgivings, everything I have seen confirms the warnings.

• Like 3

Garbage, from top to bottom, absolute garbage.  This manager needs to have more than one stupid 'possession' philosophy, because we offered the square root of fuck all for the entirety of that game.  If Sunderland can rip us a new one that easily, we will get well dicked by better sides. Absolute crap.

• Like 8

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Don't understand that starting lineup?

Why start Mara when we have Fraser, who given his time at Newcastle would probably have thrived against their biggest rivals. 

Why no Charles when he could have offered some protection to the two centre backs, who've never played together before?

Still not sure about Edozie. I'd have put A. Armstrong out there and let Che play the central role.  

So many bizarre decisions. 

I knew we'd struggle when I saw the team but a 5-0 hiding was unexpected. Mara shouldn't play again this season, send him to the kids until he regains his confidence. At the moment he is nowhere near. As for Holgate, fuck me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Honeymoon over Russ! Welcome to the real world of football. Did we create one real chaance?

If you think Smallbone / Armstrong is a better choice than Charles / Alcaraz in midfield then you deserve all you get. We were over-run in midfield and that's why.

Poor old Baz will get the blame on here of course.

• Like 6

Holgate, Bazunu and Manning absolutely shocking. Can see why Holgate was out of it at Everton.Manning defensively was diabolical. People who thought we were well stocked at CB need to look at that and realise we are piss poor there especially with Stephens injured. No height at the back either. Hope THB is as good as everyone thinks. Just what we didn't need going into the break.

• Like 1

Regret paying £11 to watch that garbage on Sky.(though glad i switched off just before end and missed 5th)

Annoying there's an internatonal break as you worry the reaction you'd expect to this pathetic display will be muted by time.

Not sure anyone comes out with credit. Bazanu made a couple of saves in 2nd half but first half he was dire. I really worry in particular about his reactions, he seems so slow to get down and across for shots.

Wings is a major issue for me. We've lost a quality wide player in Tella and not replaced him. We badly need some good version of sulemana as Edozie isn't good enough to start and that just leaves fraser.

Worse than the 0-9 scored. Every Sunderland player to a man better than ours. No-one deserves credit - suppose it was going to happen sometime and he has 2 weeks to sort it out. Must not lose to Leicester or Ipswich now - hopefully Mellis and Stewart will be fit enough to start one or both. Extreme sympathy to the traveling fans - you deserve a refund!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

I knew we'd struggle when I saw the team but a 5-0 hiding was unexpected. Mara shouldn't play again this season, send him to the kids until he regains his confidence. At the moment he is nowhere near. As for Holgate, fuck me.

I don’t think it’s confidence with him, I think he’s shockingly lackadaisical 

That’s been coming with how defensively open we’ve looked all season. Our midfield is always the wrong side of the ball during the transition. Pair that with our keeper being unable to get down to anything long range and it’s no surprise. That last goal was fucking sunday league, embarrassing. 

• Like 8

Just now, Chez said:

Not sure why Baz is being made the fall guy. The performance of the outfield players, shape and tactics were the issue.

Because his clanger changed the game. At 2-0 down at half time it's not great but possibly salvageable but at 3-0 is game over. Is all when and good making some saves when the game is lost and the pressure is off. If we are 1-0 and holding on in a key game is anyone trusting Baz to put in a Kelvin v Leeds performance which you need to go up? I'm not.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic