Che Adams

TopGun

24 minutes ago, IFHP said:

So according to Saints Extra Martin states there are 3 scenarios 

Che stays.

Che leaves and we replace him.

Che stays and we sign someone else .

I can think of another Che leaves and we don’t replace him . 

I’d be shocked if Che stays and we sign another striker , I’d wouldn’t be shocked if Che left and we didn’t sign a replacement . 

It’s of course up to you what you would or wouldn’t be shocked with. I watched the press conference where Russ said that, and he was absolutely unequivocal about the fact that it would be “madness” if Che left and he wasn’t replaced. That is pretty much exactly what Martin said in his press conference last week as well. So, when Saturday comes we’ll have a definitive picture of how the club have done with this, and also of the Tella replacement which they said is a high priority. We at least know for sure what the communicated objective is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IFHP said:

So according to Saints Extra Martin states there are 3 scenarios 

Che stays.

Che leaves and we replace him.

Che stays and we sign someone else .

I can think of another Che leaves and we don’t replace him . 

I’d be shocked if Che stays and we sign another striker , I’d wouldn’t be shocked if Che left and we didn’t sign a replacement . 

I think RM's point was that that scenario can be ignored. I think reading between the lines that he knows that at least we are signing someone, but has no idea whether Che stays or goes. I don't think he would have said what he did otherwise. He seems to be a very honest and straightforward guy, while accepting that there are certain things he cannot say.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I think RM's point was that that scenario can be ignored. I think reading between the lines that he knows that at least we are signing someone, but has no idea whether Che stays or goes. I don't think he would have said what he did otherwise. He seems to be a very honest and straightforward guy, while accepting that there are certain things he cannot say.

I agree, he's refreshingly open. But just to say.....Ralph was absolutely adamant we'd sign a forward last transfer window, and we know how that went! 

I'm confident, but still somewhat nervous based on what went before.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Everton are probably thinking that’s the one of a few things they have got right last couple of seasons. Beto v Adams

Because he scored against Doncaster. 

The Tin Man scored against Rotherham wasn’t it, and he was crap. 

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Because he scored against Doncaster. 

The Tin Man scored against Rotherham wasn’t it, and he was crap. 

He also demolished the champions arsenal almost single-handedly, one of the best opposition sides to ever visit St Mary's couldn't defeat the might of the tin man on form.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree, he's refreshingly open. But just to say.....Ralph was absolutely adamant we'd sign a forward last transfer window, and we know how that went! 

I'm confident, but still somewhat nervous based on what went before.

It's crazy to think it was only last summer that Ralph was here, feels like years and years ago.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

But just to say.....Ralph was absolutely adamant we'd sign a forward last transfer window, and we know how that went! 

Yes and the problem now with 48 hours to go is we are into the "ah yes we really tried but something went wrong at the last minute" phase of the window.

We will likely see that nothing is more efficient than us selling players - we will smooth those through no bother at all - but us buying less so. 

I'm pleased with what Russell is saying but it don't mean shit now with two days to bid/sign/medical multiple players.

Paintsil (who I don't think I am fussed about) shows how complicated it can be.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I still think he’s going…

Being reported that he’s been offered a new deal to stay and still no news of him signing it, so if someone is going to come in this late for him, to me it’s logical that he’ll go. He clearly can’t be that keen to stay 🤷🏻‍♀️

16 minutes ago, Leighsterrr said:

I still think he’s going…

Being reported that he’s been offered a new deal to stay and still no news of him signing it, so if someone is going to come in this late for him, to me it’s logical that he’ll go. He clearly can’t be that keen to stay 🤷🏻‍♀️

He’s never going to sign a deal before this window closes. He’s having his cake and eating it, he has all the power. Irony is we spent all last summer trying to sell him, so can’t really expect loyalty. We just have to hope a better offer doesn’t materialise for him and so he stays and delivers for us.

• Like 6

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/23756388.andoni-iraola-future-kieffer-moore-afc-bournemouth/

Doesn't read as though Bournemouth expect to sign Che, but managers keep things close to their chest. Cardiff have been trying to get Moore on loan, but perhaps that deal depends on Bournemouth getting a striker. Maybe they had put a bid in for Che, but it's low and we haven't accepted it...yet...I am guessing now.

It still feels like the obvious move to me. Che did a job on them and that kind of thing is not easily forgotten. 

In the end, for all the talk on here of the need to keep him, the football business will still not want Che to walk for free, so I am sure a deal will be done if a replacement can be brought in.

Russ gave a very wry smile at the presser when asked about captain for Saturday. What are the odds it's Che and he's renewing? Felt there was a bit more to his answer than he let on there.

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 3

Wolves reported to be trying to loan Che Adams. That won't work as he is out of contract at the end of this season. We might as well keep him. Signing another contract won't work either. It also looks like Werder Bremen are sniffing around Mara for another poundshop loan.

Surely Che can see the only options he has here? Bottom of the barrel PL clubs, looking for a cheapo squad-filler deal over the line on deadline day as they can't afford anything else, or their primary targets have fallen through.

He's best advised to stay here, score loads of goals, enjoy football and play with a smile on his face - rather than slugging around in the dregs of the PL losing every week. He's been there and done that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

It's becoming more common to be fair, Arsenal did it with Maitland-Niles. 

The difference is they (understandably) didn't want the guy and this is our best attacker.

Che's biggest use for us is in the Championship, as we've all seen he's a replaceable level player in the Prem. Not sure what the benefit of us getting him back next year (maybe) when we're (hopefully) back in the Prem?

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Yes but Arsenal had no need for Maitland-Niles. How is this to our advantage at all? 

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

The difference is they (understandably) didn't want the guy and this is our best attacker.

oh i'm not sure why we'd agree to it, just saying it seems to be fashionable these days. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't Adams release a statement at the end of last season about the fans not worrying because they would put it right? I wish these players would just release nothing. 

I don’t completely blame them, if I had a 40% pay cut I’d be pissed too. I just wish I had some confidence that the owners would dig their heels in a little and we weren’t just caving to player power. 

Edited by farawaysaint

I just can't quite understand the idea of having to fund a striker ourselves and letting Wolves have Che temporarily, only to be in the exact same situation next year if we don't go up, or to have a striker back who is just decent at the level if we do.

I imagine we'll get a couple million as a loan fee and Wolves will have an option around £15m which they likely won't take, but I'd struggle to understand this move.

11 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I don’t completely blame them, if I had a 40% pay cut I’d be pissed too. I just wish I had some confidence that the owners would dig their heels in a little and we weren’t just caving to player power. 

If your performance contributed to your employer losing £100million or more a year in revenue I think your be thanking God if all you got was a 40% pay cut.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

To be fair, based on his media comments, I don’t think RM has any interest in having players in his dressing room who aren’t 100% bought in and invested in what’s going on.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If your performance contributed to your employer losing £100million or more a year in revenue I think your be thanking God if all you got was a 40% pay cut.

This. If you don't want a pay cut then don't get relegated. Simple :)

• Like 5

It looks like Ross Stewart is coming in for £8m plus up to £4m add ons so I presume he is lined up to replace Che.  He won't be fit for a month though !  

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/08/31/sunderland-accept-bid-for-star/

Sadly it seems to be a financial decision.  They probably think that he won't sign a new contract so will go for free at the end of the season and also if RM doesn't feel he's committed then that's another factor though it's a puzzle he's been offered vice captain if that's the case.  In the loan proposal they could get £3m ish fee plus lose his £52k a week salary for a year (£2.6m) then be either able to keep him or sell him for £15m plus at the end of the season if he agrees to sign a 3 year deal.  I think that's the major sticking point as to whether Che still won't want to sign a 3 year deal !

So the unthinkable is happening then. He's off on loan to Wolves. Bonkers.

He signs a new deal so we keep value, and wolves pay £15m next summer. Just seems bizarre as we're losing out on a striker for this season and have no money to reinvest. (Well, not the price we asked for). Is he really that desperate to move?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

He signs a new deal so we keep value, and wolves pay £15m next summer. Just seems bizarre as we're losing out on a striker for this season and have no money to reinvest. (Well, not the price we asked for). Is he really that desperate to move?

ABS. Anywhere But Saints.

For me if he is this desperate I’m not sure I’d want him ever to come back. 

If we do get promotion this season, does this mean we are lumbered with him for 2 more years in the EPL when he isn’t up to the challenge? 

Or is there an obligation to buy next summer for Wolves, as this id be happier with. 

Budget wise, I think we could likely cover the fee next season, as Stewart isn’t costing so much, Robert’s appears pretty inexpensive too. 

But we’d likely need another sticker coming in also. All adds up. 

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

For me if he is this desperate I’m not sure I’d want him ever to come back. 

If we do get promotion this season, does this mean we are lumbered with him for 2 more years in the EPL when he isn’t up to the challenge? 

Or is there an obligation to buy next summer for Wolves, as this id be happier with. 

Budget wise, I think we could likely cover the fee next season, as Stewart isn’t costing so much, Robert’s appears pretty inexpensive too. 

But we’d likely need another sticker coming in also. All adds up. 

From how I've read it, Wolves can't give us £15m now. But they can next summer. (no idea why).

So, they're taking him on loan with a small loan fee I assume. There is an obligation to buy for £15m.

He extends his contract here by 1 year before he makes the move so his value remains next summer.

• Like 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

From how I've read it, Wolves can't give us £15m now. But they can next summer. (no idea why).

So, they're taking him on loan with a small loan fee I assume. There is an obligation to buy for £15m.

He extends his contract here by 1 year before he makes the move so his value remains next summer.

Surely has to be Obligation to buy. An option to buy would be stupid from us.

If it was this, it'd be fine. However, it's reported as a buy option so we could just end up back with him for next year after lending him to Wolves for pennies in the year we really needed him.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

So that makes sense if there is an obligation to buy. I don’t think Wolves can take the hit right now, just leaves us short perhaps if we only get one in. I think we must be after 2 strikers, Stewart being one of them. 

Main concern is what if Wolves go down, which is possible, and the deal may be off. That’d be awkward.  

1 minute ago, Galway saint said:

All the comments from RM were that he had bought into things. Seems a very odd move so we save a few quid and get a loan fee but lose a 20 Goals plus striker 

And will be relying on someone who won't be fit for a month.

We need another coming in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

That is pretty baffling to me, I have to say.

I’m confused who is the most desperate, Che for wanting to go to shit teams fighting relegation, or those teams for thinking che is the answer to their prayers.

Lets say this deal goes through, and he signs a new contract with us but Wolves go down and we go up, does he get to waltz straight back into our Premier League side? Get fucked, either leave permanently or not at all.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams