Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread

Dman

Leeds will still be in contention for promotion, but tomorrow? might determin how likley that is. Could be an absolute damp squib and toxic atmopshere for both sides. 

Would like Martin to try something different. 

McCarthy 

Stephens Bednerak, THB 

KWP Charles Downes Manning 

Brooks Che AA

• Haha 2

Given we're now mathematically out of the auto-promotion race, I'd leave Downes out of the squad. Given how pivotal he is to the way we play, the risk of him getting injured versus Leeds is higher than the risk of playing him in the play-offs with next to no match practice. Need to wrap him up in cotton wool. IMO of course.

• Like 20

59 minutes ago, Dman said:

Leeds will still be in contention for promotion, but tomorrow? might determin how likley that is. Could be an absolute damp squib and toxic atmopshere for both sides. 

McCarthy 

Stephens Bednerak, THB 

Brooks Che AA

No issue with the formation, but why on earth would you want Brooks in the team?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

Given we're now mathematically out of the auto-promotion race, I'd leave Downes out of the squad. Given how pivotal he is to the way we play, the risk of him getting injured versus Leeds is higher than the risk of playing him in the play-offs with next to no match practice. Need to wrap him up in cotton wool. IMO of course.

I would add to that list Adams and Aribo (now Stuey is out) to be honest

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chewy said:

No issue with the formation, but why on earth would you want Brooks in the team?

Without going all football hipers / football manager vibes, I'd play Brooks and AA in the 10's (similar to how Ralph set up our wide men) behind Che - Brooks best suited to that role imo - thought he was alright in the middle of the park Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

McCarthy 

Stephens Bednerak, THB 

Brooks Che AA

Wouldn't mind seeing an experiment with 3 at the back. I think i'd want an additional midfielder in instead of brooks.

Over on the Leeds forum they are bemoaning: 

• Making the same mistakes again and again 
  • Sitting back and lack of pressing
  • Possession for possession sake
  • Having statistically the 4th worst performing goalkeeper in terms of goals prevented vs what he should have

Sound familiar? 

• Haha 4

The only foreseeable result is a Saints win. Raising the hope that we're ready for the playoffs and meeting Leeds in the final only for us not to even make the final.

The cow's arses have enjoyed a long enough break from the banjo so Che to be at his clinical best.

Martin to continue his midfield selection via random number generator. Brooks to slot in at defensive midfield.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

McCarthy 

Stephens Bednerak, THB 

Brooks Che AA

RM doesn't do 'different'.

Feel for all those that bought a ticket at £47 before the hope of auto-promo disappeared.

I hope and trust should we play Leeds next season we will charge their fans £47 a go. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Over on the Leeds forum they are bemoaning: 

• Making the same mistakes again and again 
  • Sitting back and lack of pressing
  • Possession for possession sake
  • Having statistically the 4th worst performing goalkeeper in terms of goals prevented vs what he should have

Sound familiar? 

Funnily enough I was just talking to Leeds fan at work saying same Farke should be sacked if misses out on autos.

Sticks to 4-2-3-1 never changes subs at 70th minute just same formation different players.

Sounds familiar 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Morse said:

Feel for all those that bought a ticket at £47 before the hope of auto-promo disappeared.

I hope and trust should we play Leeds next season we will charge their fans £47 a go. 

It is very unlikely (aka almost impossible) that we will play Leeds next season. Either they or us will get promoted so the clubs will be in separate divisions.

• Confused 1

McCarthy

KWP (60mins only)
THB
Janny B
Manning

Charles
Rothwell (Brooks on 60mins)
Smallbone (60mins only)

Sulemana (he killed Leeds last time)
Fraser (60mins only)
Mara

Then for playoffs revert to midfield of Downes/Aribo/Smallbone and forward three of Arma/Adams/Fraser.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It is very unlikely (aka almost impossible) that we will play Leeds next season. Either they or us will get promoted so the clubs will be in separate divisions.

What if we both get promoted?

What if neither of us do?

Both scenarios still entirely possible, and nowhere near as unlikely as you suggest.

• Like 2

Stick the reserves out. Keep as many as fresh as possible for Playoffs. Would like to see Lumley given a go. What was the point in signing him otherwise?

Lumley; Bree THB Stephens Maghoma; Charles; Rothwell Aribo; Brooks Mara Sulemana

With the aim to be starting next week with the following:

Lumley; KWP THB Bednarek Manning; Downes; Smallbone Aribo; Arma Adams Fraser

Have a feeling Stephens is here to stay now though....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Stoke were better than us.  We’re certainly not going to beat Leeds.

The whimper continues.

And that's a major problem for Saints that we couldn't beat a team that needed to win. What happens in the play offs, Saints won't get a team with nothing to play for. The passing back to keeper and side ways won't win us the 1st or 2nd leg or even Leeds away. Leeds 3-0 Saints.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Huffton said:

Nothing game and Leeds will likely try and kick the shit out of us and injure a couple for the play offs. Play the kids for a bit experience. 

Sacrifice an enforcer to kick the shit out of them if they start.  Jack Stephens would be my choice.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Nothing major to be gained from this game.  Would be good to see some semblance of form returning ahead of the play offs.  

I think there is quite a bit to be gained from the game. There is a strong possibility of meeting Leeds in the playoffs so laying a beating on them now would lay down a marker. The reverse of that is the damage it would to if Leeds get an easy win.

In theory the eleven for the play-offs is pretty clear, so time to give one last chance to the likes of Sulemana, Mara etc. to perform.

Hopefully we adapt our tactics to play them on the counter attack, rather than the awful display at Leicester where we tried to pass through them and failed miserably.

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Stoke were better than us.  We’re certainly not going to beat Leeds.

The whimper continues.

Probably an exact same post on the Leeds forum stating "QPR were better than us. We're certainly not going to beat Southampton"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morse said:

Through thick and thin mate. Saturday night out will be good though whatever. Actually prefer if Ipswich blew it just for atmosphere in the City if by some outside chance Leeds go up. 

18 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Probably an exact same post on the Leeds forum stating "QPR were better than us. We're certainly not going to beat Southampton"

You know West Brom are unbeatable as well - you just need to ignore all their defeats and the fact we beat them twice. 

• Like 1

Makes no difference to us. Yes it would be good to win and not go into the playoffs off the back of 4 straight defeats. But we also dont need to risk any injuries to some of our starters.

McCarthy

Bree  Stephens Bednarek Meghoma

Smallbone  Charles

Edozie       Rothwell      Fraser

Mara

Not matter what the Ipswich result is in midweek, Leeds will still have a chance at automatic. They'll beat us and I've got a feeling that they'll nick 2nd place        

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Ipswich have got Huddersfield on the last day, I suspect the score very early on will dampen any hopes Leeds have

Ipswich need to get something at Cov first, stranger things have happened 

9 hours ago, die Mannyschaft said:

And that's a major problem for Saints that we couldn't beat a team that needed to win. What happens in the play offs, Saints won't get a team with nothing to play for. The passing back to keeper and side ways won't win us the 1st or 2nd leg or even Leeds away. Leeds 3-0 Saints.

The problem with that logic is although Stoke had something to play for, we didn't. 

what is the best scenario?

a) beat Leeds and then possibly face them again in the playoffs

b) lose to Leeds and they end up in 2nd place -  no chance to play them in the playoffs

c) lose to them but Ipswich beats them on points and we face them again in the playoffs

d) doesn't matter, we ain't winning the playoffs

Edited by SaintTex

I'm going up to this and staying at a mates house Friday night. Really looking forward to it seeing as one of my favourite ever saints weekends was watching us against Nottingham forest after relegation to league one with nothing to play for. Should be a right laugh and I've never been to Elland Road. 

• Like 1

Psychologically very difficult match for Saints but not for Leeds. Leeds must try win whatever -saints in theory will do same - except we also don’t want injuries ahead of the playoffs. 
For that reason alone- forget form- you’d have to make Leeds strong favourites to win. 

Similar performance to Stoke and possibly similar outcome. 
It’s then all about getting attitude right for two leg play off. And potentially a one off winner takes all final at Wembley. 
Im actually more sanguine about the playoffs than the Leeds game. By the playoffs there are simply no alternatives but to go flat out. Leeds is inconvenient basically. 

22 hours ago, trousers said:

The problem with Downes is that you could do this and he’d still manage to eat a dodgy uncooked Chicken and get a stomach bug. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SaintTex said:

what is the best scenario?

a) beat Leeds and then possibly face them again in the playoffs

b) lose to Leeds and they end up in 2nd place -  no chance to play them in the playoffs

c) lose to them but Ipswich beats them on points and we face them again in the playoffs

d) doesn't matter, we ain't winning the playoffs

I desperately want the chance to face Ipswich again. They were there for the taking twice, compared to Leeds who when they click are a completely different challenge. Additionally, the Chaplin factor makes it evermore romanticised in my mind. Shame we wouldn’t get a pitch invasion. 

Edited by SotonianWill
This is not to say Leeds aren’t in a poor patch. Simply look towards Leicester and see how they’ve turned around with the help of Premier League players. I see this as no different to Leeds if they get the tactics right.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic