Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex McCarthy: Number 1

Default Alex McCarthy: Number 1

Next season, should Alex remain our number one?

Yes, unless Forster loses some muscle mass and regains his agility. But also out performs Alex in preseason over the summer.

I think it should be his to lose, as it was with FF.

Probably. He's been solid and just done what you expect a keeper to do.

With FF, it got to the point with every goal I was thinking he could have done better, kept seeing him rooted to his line or very hesitant as he was beaten by yet another 6 years header.

I can't think of a goal that McCarthy has let in that he should have stopped, or was clearly his fault. Maybe last week he could have done a bit more for Burnley's goal (clearing the first shot), but even then they only scored with a handball.

He comes for crosses, and seems to judge well when to come. He holds shots rather than parrying them straight out. So for me, clear #1 at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes. Done very little wrong and looks solid after his run of games - expect an England squad call up if his form continues.

In the Championship, yeah, might as well.

If we stay up, goalkeeper is one of several positions that needs an upgrade.

McCarthy has been competent. I wouldn't say any better than that. But his adequacy in basic goalkeeping skills stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the utter dollop he's replaced (too late).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He's a good goalkeeper, and has increased in confidence since he got into the side. Definitely doesn't deserve to be dropped, that's for sure.

Blog Entries

Forster cost us points without doubt. Those would at the moment be the difference between mid table 'safety' as opposed to 17th and looking down the barrel of a gun.

I would say so.
    Be interesting to see what happens with FF. If we go down he will want to go but then who the hell would want him ?
    If we stay up will he want assurances that he will be number one choice or else ask to leave.

Whatever happens he faces a tricky summer career wise......as should Dave Watson who as a goalkeeping coach has failed to cover himself in glory for a long time now. Nice hair tho !

10. Default

I'm suggesting Alex for the England World Cup squad.

Difficult one.. He's done absolutely nothing wrong to deserve to be dropped (FWIW I think FF knows he's been sh!te and understands this), but I still think, if FF can't find his form this is a position we need to strengthen in (not urgently though).

For a club our size, we have 2 keepers who are both too good to be a no2 and probably not good enough to be no1 (of a top 10 team if that's where we want to be).

Defo, it's a shame he wasn't brought in sooner as we would probably be in a better position if he had been.
    Forster has been garbage.

Been one of the very few successes in an otherwise dismal season.

Off to Russia..??

Pickford, Butand and Heaton have been favourites for most people since Hart slipped off the radar.

But if one of those picks up an injury, I think Alex would get the nod.

Good to see him getting a run, I think he's a decent keeper. Wouldn't want to see FF take the number 1 slot off of him now.

I wonder when FF will get his new 5 year contract this year? I'm going for July.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Off to Russia..??

Pickford, Butand and Heaton have been favourites for most people since Hart slipped off the radar.

But if one of those picks up an injury, I think Alex would get the nod.
    Heaton has been out injured since September. He's likely to be back fit before the end of the season, but Pope has been in pretty good form, so It'll be interesting to see if he plays enough games from now until the end of the season.

Lazy question based on his surname but is he eligible for Scotland or either Ireland? Know he's had England squad call up in the past, but never actually played...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do you remember someone on this forum telling us that he was ten times worse than FF...and that was before he had played. what sort of fans do we have, he was getting the Mane/Wanyama treatment before he started

19. Default

I'm not sure if he looks good because Forster had looked so bad. But I for one am happy with him between the sticks.

Not seen him do anything that would class as a major error yet, and he has certainly made saves I would have been surprised to see FF make (or even attempt in some cases). He's earned it, until his form drops he should keep it.

Feel much more confident with him between the sticks than Fraser. He can get down faster, can save shots from outside the penalty area, gets off his line and positions himself better.

AM has earned his place by keep training hard, waiting in the wings. FF lost his spot and rightly so. As long as AM continues to perform which I think he is he deserves to keep his position. Only injury or poor run of form should be the reason for being dropped. Give FF the cup games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellman View Post
    Do you remember someone on this forum telling us that he was ten times worse than FF...and that was before he had played. what sort of fans do we have, he was getting the Mane/Wanyama treatment before he started
    I was effectively cyber-bullied because I had the temerity to say FF was sh1t when we signed him.

Blog Entries

Think it does AM a disservice to say he's just been competent. He's been great I think, does the basics right and has made some very good saves for us. Definitely deserves his place and to retain it next year (esp if we go down).

He'll be the next one off to Liverpool.

I would be very shocked if he doesn't make the England squad this summer. Especially with the current form of other English keepers and the injury list. He's been very solid and I genuinely think (if Pellegrino goes now and we stay up) we have a talented back 5. Stephens and Hoedt will make a good partnership if they're kept together, now the muppet has stopped switching them around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

McCarthy has been ok. Better than I expected.

Not our most important position to focus on. Even with Forster, we produced excellent teams and always finished top half, even 6th. Forster was always limited, from day 1.

If we have both, now McCarthy has proven himself, Forster will have to raise his game a bit. That said, just because of his past seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if some lower club or promoted club bought Forster if we went down. Someone will probably buy Joe Hart too.

BigMac has been brilliant. The save he made vs stoke has gone unnoticed imo. It was world class.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yes, immeasurably better than FF. We'd be several points better off and not significantly worried about going down if AM had been in goal all season IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    BigMac has been brilliant. The save he made vs stoke has gone unnoticed imo. It was world class.
    Agreed, superb save which did go unnoticed. That was creeping in and he clawed it away superbly.

He's a really good keeper. The cameras didn't pick it up but he saved that shot in the Stoke game, flicking it past the post. Brilliant save, and we would have been sunk without it. If only we had dropped Forster earlier - we lost an awful lot of points because of his lumbering ineptitude

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    I would say so.
    Be interesting to see what happens with FF. If we go down he will want to go but then who the hell would want him ?
    If we stay up will he want assurances that he will be number one choice or else ask to leave.

Whatever happens he faces a tricky summer career wise......as should Dave Watson who as a goalkeeping coach has failed to cover himself in glory for a long time now. Nice hair tho !
    If we go down, McCarthy will be quickly snapped up. Forster will presumably be stuck with us on a big long term contract - I canít see anyone swooping for him?

He's done a great job and should be our number 1 for as long as he's at the club. If we stay up I can't see any reason to replace him.

Also seems like a really level headed chap who is dedicated to doing the best he can. Never see him blaming others or moaning about anything.

I'm a big fan. Already installs more confidence than FF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I don't see why not, I was always hopeful he'd reflect his previous stats for Saints and he's clearly our best keeper. His xS stats showed that before he even signed for us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stud mark of doom View Post
    If we go down, McCarthy will be quickly snapped up. Forster will presumably be stuck with us on a big long term contract - I can’t see anyone swooping for him?
    Oh that's not how football works any more. Forster will get signed by some numpties like West Ham who haven't been paying any attention whatsoever, and McCarthy will stick around.

Based on his form since his return to the side, should he not be considered fr the World Cup squad? He won't be of course, but in my opinion he's done as well as anyone else over recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    Based on his form since his return to the side, should he not be considered fr the World Cup squad? He won't be of course, but in my opinion he's done as well as anyone else over recent weeks.
    Been fantastic and would deserve a call up.
    Credit must go to the keeping coach as Mccarthy has improved so much since coming to our club.
    The reason Forster has struggled is because of his confidence and not because of Webster.

39. Default

To think McCarthy has played with that defence infront of him constitutes a minor miracle that he has done so well. For me FF's head has gone and maybe the best thing for him is to move on to pastures new and try to regain his confidence in a new environment as he is partly responsible for us being in our current situation.

As for McCarthy, he has earned his place as number 1 keeper but does need decent backup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Been fantastic and would deserve a call up.
    Credit must go to the keeping coach as Mccarthy has improved so much since coming to our club.
    The reason Forster has struggled is because of his confidence and not because of Webster.
    Really don't think much credit goes to our keeper coach. Alex was a good keeper before he joined us, Watson doesn't seem to have destroyed him like he has our other keepers. Credit should go to Alex for his patience while we stuck with the awful FF.

If we go down, he has done more than enough to remain in the PL I would imagine.

He is now a easily our best Goalkeeper and in my opinion our player of the season.

He all round game has improved, he catches the ball, if he can't catch it he will make sure he punches it away - he commands the 6 yard box with great confidence. And is now a great shot stopper, as has been proven in the last view games where he has saved us points.

He's our No.1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IFHP View Post
    He is now a easily our best Goalkeeper and in my opinion our player of the season.

He all round game has improved, he catches the ball, if he can't catch it he will make sure he punches it away - he commands the 6 yard box with great confidence. And is now a great shot stopper, as has been proven in the last view games where he has saved us points.

He's our No.1 for me.
    Agree, though in fairness I can't think of anyone else who even vaguely deserves the title of player of the season. Not a single one.

McCarthy has already done enough to get a move. People will quickly get a reality check in the championship. There will be 20 rich clubs in the league above all wanting 25 good options, 2/3 good keepers. Anyone who has performed well at some point in the last few years will get interest.

Even thinking we could keep McCarthy, Redmond etc is probably unrealistic. And we'll be willing to sell anyone to compensate for the losses of relegation. Plus any high earners will be shipped out on loan if we can't sell.

I expect to lose Forster, McCarthy, Hoedt, Cedric, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, JWP, Redmond, Tadic, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Long, Austin, and Carrillo.

There'll be 'oh who'd want them' blah blah, but look around at the league. It's full of rubbish and plenty of those players have performed as well or better in the past. Others just earn too much to keep.

Leaves maybe Bednarek, Stephens, Yoshi, McQueen, Sims, Reed, Clasie, Hesketh, Davis, Gallagher. Would definitely need 5 or 6 decent signings to get back up.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    I expect to lose Forster, McCarthy, Hoedt, Cedric, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, JWP, Redmond, Tadic, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Long, Austin, and Carrillo.
    That would by a large distance be the biggest number of players sold by a relegated Premier League club for many, many years (if ever). Departures of contracted players in that number hasn't really happened before.

46. Default

I'd be delighted if he stays in whatever division we are in.

Probably showcased him enough to get a good fee.

48. Default

If he stays with us, unquestionably #1.
    However, he is likely to have suitors and we will struggle to hold onto him. His performances won't have gone unnoticed. We may prefer to sell Forster but I doubt there will be bidders.

Dont know if its true that the player awards are cancelled but he definitely deserves Player of the Year. Has improved immensely given the chance and with some important saves has given us the slimmest of chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Studio View Post
    Dont know if its true that the player awards are cancelled but he definitely deserves Player of the Year. Has improved immensely given the chance and with some important saves has given us the slimmest of chances.
    Hope it is true until we know our fate, win tomorrow and they can have it as we will be safe ( baring a ridiculous scoreline).