Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

2 hours ago, SKD said:

Imo a bigger miss than Danny. 1 because stephens just isn’t anywhere near PL standard and 2 because his ability to play from the back into midfield using both feet is hugely underrated.

A big loss. Mad, like many, I couldn’t see myself saying this 6 months ago. 

For being nowhere near PL standard, Stephens has nearly 100 PL appearances at the age of 26. Yes hes not our best CB, but he has plenty of experience and at times has been a mainstay in our defence. In fact, he was excellent for us during parts of last season. Romeu returning to his best form helps provide Jack with that protection also.

10 months ago Stephens was getting praised on here and Vestergaard was worse than Hoedt. Vestergaard has improved significantly, but Stephens is still a good option for us

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair to Stephens, he played well today I thought? That block at the end was 'goal' worthy. Let's not forget he has also progressed under Ralph. We wouldn't have given Vestergaard the time of day this time last year, he's improved...and so did Stephens.

He's not flawless, of course not, but he's a lot better than he was in 2019.

Agreed. Stephens had a good game. We missed Vestergaard bringing the ball out and his long passes, but as a defender, I thought Stephens did very well. 

There's no denying though that the turnaround in Vestergaard is something else. If we was quicker on the ground and on the turn he'd have the lot, but not even Ralph can coach that into him. 

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

For being nowhere near PL standard, Stephens has nearly 100 PL appearances at the age of 26. Yes hes not our best CB, but he has plenty of experience and at times has been a mainstay in our defence. In fact, he was excellent for us during parts of last season. Romeu returning to his best form helps provide Jack with that protection also.

10 months ago Stephens was getting praised on here and Vestergaard was worse than Hoedt. Vestergaard has improved significantly, but Stephens is still a good option for us

Experience doesn’t mean that he’s any good, it’s easy to forget that most of his time spent in the squad we’ve been battling relegation and the only reason Ralph played him last season was because he’s pretty vocal. 

of course this is all my opinion but I think he’s poor defensively. Ball watches, gets caught out of position and isn’t great in the air. 

he played well yesterday, but Fulham had nothing up top, I think mitrovic would have cause him issues. Let’s judge him against West Ham and pray that Antonio is out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Experience doesn’t mean that he’s any good, it’s easy to forget that most of his time spent in the squad we’ve been battling relegation and the only reason Ralph played him last season was because he’s pretty vocal. 

of course this is all my opinion but I think he’s poor defensively. Ball watches, gets caught out of position and isn’t great in the air. 

he played well yesterday, but Fulham had nothing up top, I think mitrovic would have cause him issues. Let’s judge him against West Ham and pray that Antonio is out. 

We’ve seen it before several times where he’s come back into the team been okay for a few games with fans hailing his form then reverts to type with  all the things you say. He’s decent enough to have as a back up player but in truth as 4th choice. It’s a shame Salisu doesn’t appear to be there yet as a good chance for him to get a run and stake a claim.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, egg said:

Agreed. Stephens had a good game. We missed Vestergaard bringing the ball out and his long passes, but as a defender, I thought Stephens did very well. 

There's no denying though that the turnaround in Vestergaard is something else. If we was quicker on the ground and on the turn he'd have the lot, but not even Ralph can coach that into him. 

In a way it's a good job he doesn't have that, otherwise Liverpool would snap him up faster than you could say Van Dick.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what Ralph is saying here, surely we should have pulled Vestergaard from the squad sooner than we did if continuing to play him was making an underlying injury "worse and worse"? Or maybe something lost in translation?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18972990.we-stop-now---hasenhuttl-reveals-vestergaard-knee-injury-getting-worse-worse/

Screenshot_20201228-155958.png

On 27/12/2020 at 05:54, S-Clarke said:

To be fair to Stephens, he played well today I thought? That block at the end was 'goal' worthy. Let's not forget he has also progressed under Ralph. We wouldn't have given Vestergaard the time of day this time last year, he's improved...and so did Stephens.

He's not flawless, of course not, but he's a lot better than he was in 2019.

When the line-up was announced I must say I was slightly disheartened to see Stephens in there, but fair play to him he had a good game and was also pretty solid for a long while before that too. That block at the end was great. However it's a bit of a worry if Ralph doesn't see Salisu as being better than Stephens. 😐

12 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

When the line-up was announced I must say I was slightly disheartened to see Stephens in there, but fair play to him he had a good game and was also pretty solid for a long while before that too. That block at the end was great. However it's a bit of a worry if Ralph doesn't see Salisu as being better than Stephens. 😐

Stephens looked decent towards the end of last season after coming into the side trying to prove a point. Started this one poorly, dropped, came back with something to prove...

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Big Jannik in the team of the year for 2020

Eqkxuc1WMAQy8C1?format=png&name=900x900

He shouldn't be. He's been great the last couple of months but the reality is for much of 2020 he's not even been making our first team, let alone the team of the year. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

He shouldn't be. He's been great the last couple of months but the reality is for much of 2020 he's not even been making our first team, let alone the team of the year. 

Maybe so, but after seeing 6 Liverpool players in Garth Crooks' Team of the Year, let's rejoice we have a player in this one. Would have liked to have seen D.Ings but accept Salah and Kane in a front two.

10 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Maybe so, but after seeing 6 Liverpool players in Garth Crooks' Team of the Year, let's rejoice we have a player in this one. Would have liked to have seen D.Ings but accept Salah and Kane in a front two.

Fucking joker Crooks, how can he have 6 players from a team that was far and away the best of the year. 

• 2 months later...

With the focus on Ings, its gone a little under the radar that Vestergaard's contract also expires at the end of next season, meaning that its most likely he either signs a new one or is sold this summer.

He has been excellent this season, arguably one of the stand out CBs in the league given how much he has improved.

Excellent on the ball and a massive threat at set plays, I would imagine a lot of teams in various leagues would be interested in him for a relatively low fee.

Will be interesting to see what develops...perhaps the club might see him as a saleable asset who they can more easily replace than other players?

Edited by Dusic

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

With the focus on Ings, its gone a little under the radar that Vestergaard's contract also expires at the end of next season, meaning that its most likely he either signs a new one or is sold this summer.

He has been excellent this season, arguably one of the stand out CBs in the league given how much he has improved.

Excellent on the ball and a massive threat at set plays, I would imagine a lot of teams in various leagues would be interested in him for a relatively low fee.

Will be interesting to see what develops...perhaps the club might see him as a saleable asset who they can more easily replace than other players?

This a good point. Step forward Salisu?

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

This a good point. Step forward Salisu?

is that the centre back totally owned and bullied by Calvert Lewin. Who rolled on the floor as he has a hand in his face. Razor Ruddock hes not

He'll be a  big loss, our best defender, a threat from set pieces; and his diagonal passing was a vital tool during our good run. I'm sure they'll want to cash in with only a year left (£15m?). Leicester will come in again you'd think?  I'd imagine we need to recoup £20m to cover loan and operating losses, so he and Danny (also £15m?) might give us a £10m budget. very difficult summer ahead....

55 minutes ago, OldNick said:

is that the centre back totally owned and bullied by Calvert Lewin. Who rolled on the floor as he has a hand in his face. Razor Ruddock hes not

It is also the same player who was making maybe his 5th appearance for his new club, after not playing for over half a year, in a new league, having looked pretty good in his previous games.

So yep, Razor Ruddock he is not, which is a good thing...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

It is also the same player who was making maybe his 5th appearance for his new club, after not playing for over half a year, in a new league, having looked pretty good in his previous games.

5th or 150th appearance, he was poor against Everton. Don't get me wrong, Ralph messed up having Salisu rather than Vestergaard on Calvert Lewin, but he was weak and got totally dominated. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

5th or 150th appearance, he was poor against Everton. Don't get me wrong, Ralph messed up having Salisu rather than Vestergaard on Calvert Lewin, but he was weak and got totally dominated. 

I agree he wasnt great, but it was one game where he wasnt good, but i think he will learn. He is very inexperienced atm, and that will come with coaching, age and experience.

I think Ralph got that line wrong, not the player, only 21 in new league etc. He should have gone with Bednarek and Jannick, DCL is brilliant in the air, no disgrace Salisu was bossed in that game.

My original post was in response to someone who may have been suggesting Salisu isn’t good. I disagree 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, egg said:

I remember well the criticism/abuse Vestergaard took on here getting used to the PL (some even put Hoedt ahead of him 😂😂), now hes deemed our best CB. It will take Salisu time to adapt to the PL aswell, not to mention hes only 21. At least now hes seen first hand how physical the PL is compared to La Liga

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I remember well the criticism/abuse Vestergaard took on here getting used to the PL (some even put Hoedt ahead of him 😂😂), now hes deemed our best CB. It will take Salisu time to adapt to the PL aswell, not to mention hes only 21. At least now hes seen first hand how physical the PL is compared to La Liga

I'm not saying Salisu is a bad player, far from, he looks a real talent. That was a learning curve for the lad, and more to the point Ralph - you don't stick your smaller CB on their big man and expect it to go well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

If he is going to be a decent player he has to toughen up. Forwards will see how he couldnt take the physical stuff and will play on that. Never show youre hurt 

43 minutes ago, OldNick said:

If he is going to be a decent player he has to toughen up. Forwards will see how he couldnt take the physical stuff and will play on that. Never show youre hurt 

Yeah, maybe 20 or 30 years ago, different game now. Not sure defenders need to 'toughen up' these days, he is inexperienced, maybe time will help him, but I imagine he will be ok.

On 06/03/2021 at 20:20, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah, maybe 20 or 30 years ago, different game now. Not sure defenders need to 'toughen up' these days, he is inexperienced, maybe time will help him, but I imagine he will be ok.

Personally I dont agree, I think a centre half should be bullying the forward not the other way around. He rolled on the floor twice holding his face, I suspect it hurt but it sent a message to Calvert Lewin that he had won the battle that gave him confidence to keep doing it, the rest of their team would also have picked up on it.

On 06/03/2021 at 14:46, egg said:

I'm not saying Salisu is a bad player, far from, he looks a real talent. That was a learning curve for the lad, and more to the point Ralph - you don't stick your smaller CB on their big man and expect it to go well. 

Puel would never have done that. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Personally I dont agree, I think a centre half should be bullying the forward not the other way around. He rolled on the floor twice holding his face, I suspect it hurt but it sent a message to Calvert Lewin that he had won the battle that gave him confidence to keep doing it, the rest of their team would also have picked up on it.

Fair enough, the world would be boring if we all agreed 👍

I think that today the approach to defending is different from 'bullying' the front line of the opponent.  CBs now days are far more cultured, and i think Salisu was perhaps thinking he was still in La Liga where that sort of challenge/rolling around may have been called as a foul. The EPL is vastly different in some areas, this point in case being one of them.  I think he will learn quickly, and perhaps I made a mistake, but it felt you were writing Salisu off, which I am sure wasnt the case.  I think just now, he is 3rd choice CB, but can see Vesty getting sold in the summer, and he is highly likely (Salisu) to become our best CB and be sold off in 3/4 years.

7 hours ago, OldNick said:

Your football ideas are about as old as some of your furniture Nick. 

31 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Would have been hard to imagine this a year ago, but he has been really good and clearly with one year left on his contract we will be open to selling, whether to Spurs or someone else.

I am totally on board with being a development club and having a transfer policy in accordance but we keep being shafted by letting our more saleable players get to one year remaining and therefore having a very poor negotiating position. That seems a big issue if you are a sell to buy club as you are generally going to be quoted higher fees for inferior players than the fee we get for selling our better players.

So very likely to need to replace Ings and Vestergaard, Bertrand possibly, before we start adding the depth that we need at full back and in central midfield.

Noy beyond needing:

1 x CB to replace JV

2 x striker to replace Ings and Long (N'Lundulunsurely will go out on loan)

1 x CM

1 x RB

1 x LB (or 2 if Bertrand leaves on a free)

Thats without looking at GKs. Will have to be a busy summer.

Edited by Dusic

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would have been hard to imagine this a year ago, but he has been really good and clearly with one year left on his contract we will be open to selling, whether to Spurs or someone else.

So very likely to need to replace Ings and Vestergaard, Bertrand possibly, before we start adding the depth that we need at full back and in central midfield.

Noy beyond needing:

1 x CB to replace JV

2 x striker to replace Ings and Long (N'Lundulunsurely will go out on loan)

1 x CM

1 x RB

1 x LB (or 2 if Bertrand leaves on a free)

Thats without looking at GKs. Will have to be a busy summer.

We don’t need and won’t be signing a CM and I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought in a versatile FB to cover both sides. That sees us needing five players, assuming those three leave. Not unreasonable.

With Stephens and Bednarek now on long term deals, I think it was pointing to Vestergaard being cashed in on this summer.

The question is how high can we push the price with a year left on his contract.

15 million was mooted by Leicester last year.

1 year left will probably be countered by his playing improvements over this season. 

I would hope for £25-30million considering his PL experience.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

we keep being shafted by letting our more saleable players get to one year remaining and therefore having a very poor negotiating position.

But who on here would have wanted to give Vestergaard a contract extension this time last year? Most were offering to drive him to Leicester or anywhere that would put in a bid, but we would have needed to extend his contract then to protect the position now. What price a crystal ball?!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

But who on here would have wanted to give Vestergaard a contract extension this time last year? Most were offering to drive him to Leicester or anywhere that would put in a bid, but we would have needed to extend his contract then to protect the position now. What price a crystal ball?!

Totally this. I would have gladly accepted his early sale. Taught me a lesson.

Club will cash in on big names, that is pretty obvious.

Very depressing

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

No substance to that report at all, just speculation by some junior reporter. Who's to say Jose will even be at Spuds next season. Some people here just jump on the bandwagon born of speculation. If you go with this dross we won't have any players next year. 

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

No substance to that report at all, just speculation by some junior reporter. Who's to say Jose will even be at Spuds next season. Some people here just jump on the bandwagon born of speculation. If you go with this dross we won't have any players next year. 

What would count as substance?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Not a hard link to believe though.  Cut price signings are going to be all the rage this summer.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester