Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

54 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s our record since he started blubbing? 

35 minutes ago, egg said:

Shit. Completely shit. 

Just to give some detail.

14 points from 21 League games.  That is inclusive of the 9-0 at OT and the loss against 9 men Newcastle.

14 points from 63, and he still has a job!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just to give some detail.

14 points from 21 League games.  That is inclusive of the 9-0 at OT and the loss against 9 men Newcastle.

14 points from 63, and he still has a job!

Remember when everyone sneered at this? Jordan is wanker etc maybe he was right?

https://mobile.footballghana.com/god-knows-what-will-happen-when-you-really-win-something-simon-jordan-slams-hasenhuttls-crying

I know we're not his biggest fan at the moment but is it really worth slamming him for showing some passion? We're always quick to complain when players couldn't give a shit about the club and then slate Ralph for making it clear that he cared on a big day for us.

Does anyone here really think that if he was being given the green light to bring in a new keeper, that he then wouldn't? There are clear limitations in place, as demonstrated when we made it clear we couldn't sign Armstrong without selling Ings. 

There are issues on the pitch which are his fault and others which aren't, but there isn't a name being branded around who I'd want us to have long term over him at the moment.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Exactly. It’s hardly as if Benitez gambled by going extra attacking. He just did the basic and freshened a winger and that sub set up the winner.

For all this talk of a change in tactics and Benitez masterstroke the fact is we brought about our own downfall (AGAIN) by feeble and poor defending, Stephens slicing a clearance out for a corner, Salisu going to sleep combined with McCarthy not calling/organising his defence to clear. Conceding so early in the game handed them the initiative, keeping it at 0-1 for another 10/15 minutes might have frustrated them.

18 hours ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

FFS Semmonds sack this clown and get Howe and Tindell in now before its too late, at least they'ed know when to make subs to change a game and can change tactics and formations

Was there not an article/rumour that they'd had a falling out ?

17 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Rather Frank Lampard personally as he is an attraction for players plus has a go with his substutions.

Perhaps that's why we've been keen to assemble ex-Chelsea youth players !

Not convinced by him personally.

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

For all this talk of a change in tactics and Benitez masterstroke the fact is we brought about our own downfall (AGAIN) by feeble and poor defending, Stephens slicing a clearance out for a corner, Salisu going to sleep combined with McCarthy not calling/organising his defence to clear. Conceding so early in the game handed them the initiative, keeping it at 0-1 for another 10/15 minutes might have frustrated them.

Yes, poor management but their goal cam just two minutes into the second half . It is his failure to make changes after it that is most damning.

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes, poor management but their goal cam just two minutes into the second half . It is his failure to make changes after it that is most damning.

Equally fair point of course, but our players do 'self-destruct' a great deal (something else the manager and club should look at).

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think we needed changes at 1-1, that's where we needed KWP (Tino was blowing). That's where we needed a little bit of dynamic running with Armstrong in place of Theo. That right side started getting picked apart a bit by Dinge and Gray. You can't expect Tino to operate at that first half level for 90mins, that was his first ever professional game and he's only 18. Mental and physical fatigue are a huge issue within this team, certainly mental fatigue. That's why we give up so many leads and concede goals at killer times on an almost weekly basis.

It's all a miserable combination of shit on field leadership and shit management on the day. We needed some proactiveness on and off the pitch. I don't know who will give us that on the pitch as we are meek as fuck.

Off the pitch I want Ralph to succeeded as much as anyone and he's got the bench now, he had the depth yesterday....he needs to use it better.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's all a miserable combination of shit on field leadership and shit management on the day. We needed some proactiveness on and off the pitch. I don't know who will give us that on the pitch as we are meek as fuck.

Off the pitch I want Ralph to succeeded as much as anyone and he's got the bench now, he had the depth yesterday....he needs to use it better.

From what I've read Delaney has the experience and qualities at a price we should be able to afford.

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we needed changes at 1-1, that's where we needed KWP (Tino was blowing). That's where we needed a little bit of dynamic running with Armstrong in place of Theo. That right side started getting picked apart a bit by Dinge and Gray. You can't expect Tino to operate at that first half level for 90mins, that was his first ever professional game and he's only 18. Mental and physical fatigue are a huge issue within this team, certainly mental fatigue. That's why we give up so many leads and concede goals at killer times on an almost weekly basis.

I was yelling at my screen from 60 minute mark onwards to get KWP on. Even bring him on at left back where Perraud was struggling.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

From what I've read Delaney has the experience and qualities at a price we should be able to afford.

I don't think this is going to happen though, as much as we're crying out for exactly those sorts of players. it looks like Dortmund have offered him a new deal to stay...by the sounds of it.

Whilst signing kids is 'exciting', when you have no experience to back it up the talented kids are somewhat left in the firing line. I'm getting horrible flashbacks to 2009. I just hope our CB is a proven top level CB, not an unproven young player.

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think this is going to happen though, as much as we're crying out for exactly those sorts of players. it looks like Dortmund have offered him a new deal to stay...by the sounds of it.

Whilst signing kids is 'exciting', when you have no experience to back it up the talented kids are somewhat left in the firing line. I'm getting horrible flashbacks to 2009. I just hope our CB is a proven top level CB, not an unproven young player.

Horrible flashbacks of 2009 lolz, you really are a crybaby.

its one fucking game you muppet

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

I understand buying you get players to sell on for profit, as has been our club model for years and years now, but with no solid backbone of experience to that team it’s just inevitably going to fail. And I’m an optimist.

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Everyone wanted Puel gone. He went and we got worse.

Everyone wanted Pellegrino gone. He went and nothing improved.

Everyone wanted Hughes gone. He went and nothing improved.

Maybe, just maybe the manager isn't the main issue here?

Er, except we would have been relegated under Pellegrino so something did improve.

Hughes had a terrible start to that following season, but Hasenhuttl came in and turned the season around, and we finished 11th the following season. So there was improvement there, too.

Managers still have a shelf life and its clear Hasenhuttl is reaching the end of his time here.

So a change of manager could see an improvement, just like it did the last two times we changed manager.

Edited by CB Fry

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Since we beat Sheff Utd on 13th December, ( 27 matches ), we have taken 9 points from the 18 games where we were not leading at half time. 2 wins, 3 draws, and 13 defeats. We have held onto a half time lead to win just 3 times in the same period. In the 11 matches where we were behind at half time we have failed to take a single point.

Under Ralph we simply don't do second halves. That has to be down to him.

we press and use a lot of energy. We give the ball away, it then takes more energy to recover the ball. We run extra hard to provide cover to limited individuals, using yet more energy.

When we run out of energy, we don't provide a threat making it easier for opponents to keep coming back at us. When we run out of energy gaps open. When we run out of energy we don't provide that cover individuals need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I was yelling at my screen from 60 minute mark onwards to get KWP on. Even bring him on at left back where Perraud was struggling.

with fitness or struggling to cope with the winger? If the latter, then that is a worry. We're focused heavily on CB, but that left back position looks mighty thin.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

we press and use a lot of energy. We give the ball away, it then takes more energy to recover the ball. We run extra hard to provide cover to limited individuals, using yet more energy.

When we run out of energy, we don't provide a threat making it easier for opponents to keep coming back at us. When we run out of energy gaps open. When we run out of energy we don't provide that cover individuals need. 

When we run out of energy Ralph refuses to make substitutions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

When we run out of energy Ralph refuses to make substitutions.

the amount of running our two CBs do to plus gaps, I'd be thinking of adding a new/extra body in there every week after about 50 minutes.

To compromise how about keeping Ralph (so no payoff) AND bringing in a second manager. Ralph manages the first halves, stays in the dressing room at half time and has a nice cup of tea, and the new one takes over for the second halves.

I'm surprised no one has thought of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Surely more to it then that? It's not just getting tired.

Don't our opponents run too? 

7 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

To compromise how about keeping Ralph (so no payoff) AND bringing in a second manager. Ralph manages the first halves, stays in the dressing room at half time and has a nice cup of tea, and the new one takes over for the second halves.

I'm surprised no one has thought of it.

You could be onto something, Ralph could be the offense coach for the first two quarters , someone else could defense coach for the final two quarters, Theo could be cheerleader 🎶 Ralph Ralph, he’s our man, if he can’t do it nobody can  🎵 Fraser and Alex could be the half time entertainment, Redmond could throw peanuts to the crowd and catch the money in return, not sure who’d end up with the peanuts though. Needs some more work, but it’s definitely the start of something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strikes me that the board will not sack him because he is compliant on the way the club will be run. Mutual agreement. We let you manage how you want and support you. We will not spend on older players without resale value. A position of harmony and to date Ralph has delivered what is needed…. Just keep us in the prem

19 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yeah, this is a fair point. Looking at the goals for the Everton game, for me, Salisu totally at blame for the first goal - a ball drops over your shoulder like that- as a cb, you dont wait for it to drop - you get a foot in. The 2nd goal is just a good goal for me and the 3rd is down to poor defending from Stephens, but the fact he hasnt made any changes when we're under pressure, again, is just plain weird. But what I really really couldnt get my head around was leaving two of out best players from last season on the bench. Ive been a fan of Ralph since the beginning but Im also starting to feel we need a change.  His record is awful......but the options...Terry( kill me now) or Howe.........dont fill me with great optimism.

Don't feel like I can put myself through watching the United game.

Two individual errors meets failure to change tactics?

Salisu will not make that mistake again in a hurry, but Stephens has been around long enough not to go to sleep in that situation.

They need to wake up or we're in for another season of playing Spot the Three Shitter Teams.

Even without Mike Dean running the show United will be a proper test...

29 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Ive been a fan of Ralph since the beginning but Im also starting to feel we need a change

I think this is where I'm leaning towards now, although I'm always inclined to give a manager up to c.10 games at the start of a given season before calling for them to go. Yes, I know we've arguably got all the evidence we already need about Ralph's pedigree, given the woeful second half of last season, so there's some merit to the "why wait, get rid of him now" camp, but there's still a possibiliy he could rekindle the successful first half of last season but without the wheels falling off the wagon half way through again. That said, I agree that his apparent lack of tactical agility, especially in the second half of games, is a significant issue. 

So, in summary, I'm struggling to get my arse of this fence that I'm currently sitting on!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still remaining blindly optimistic and I think he can turn it around (if he learns from his mistakes). We're in an almost identical position to West Ham last season. They narrowly avoided relegation in the 19/20 season, their fans were bottom of the 'optimism leaderboard' like us this season. They lost their first game of last season 2-0 at home to Newcastle but ended up having a great season and qualified for Europe. If we can somehow get back to playing how we did the start of last season then we'll be good. If not, we need to change things by December to have a chance of survival

Last season the volume of games led to key injuries to our squad with their back up not good enough.

This season we have better squad depth and I would expect to not see the drop off like last season as the quality of the team can be maintained once the final CB is there.

For this season we have a tough first 5 games so that will be challenging in itself with any manager.

Lets re-assess where we are end Oct to get a better sample size on both the manager and the players.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Last season the volume of games led to key injuries to our squad with their back up not good enough.

This season we have better squad depth and I would expect to not see the drop off like last season as the quality of the team can be maintained once the final CB is there.

For this season we have a tough first 5 games so that will be challenging in itself with any manager.

Lets re-assess where we are end Oct to get a better sample size on both the manager and the players.

Far too sensible mate. We want a meltdown and we want it now! You are absolutely right of course. We never win at Goodison and yes, we have a very tough start which it seems counts for nothing. We have an awful lot of work to do but then so do many other teams looking at the results over the weekend. Calling for the managers head every time we lose a match doesn’t help. I think we all know that we need a quality CB and until we get one we shall continue to leak goals.

• Like 2

I was in the Ralph out camp towards the end of last season.  But now the Board have decided to stick with him I would give him up to chelsea game to see if he can turn it around.

Biggest concers for me are:

Rotating keepers policy - lets hope it has stopped even if he has picked the wrong number one (imo).

Slowness in making tactical changes

Inconsistent  team selection eg no KWP or S Armstrong

Stubborness in persisting with same formation.

Failure to instil any leadership or mental toughness  in team. We crumble too often when we go behind.

Unorthodox methods - I still see no logical reason why he only picked 4 subs in the friendlies

But at least it was square pegs in square holes on Saturday and also players brought in look ok.

I hope i am wrong but im not confident he will turn it around...

Edited by John D
Extra concern id missed out
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Far too sensible mate. We want a meltdown and we want it now! You are absolutely right of course. We never win at Goodison and yes, we have a very tough start which it seems counts for nothing. We have an awful lot of work to do but then so do many other teams looking at the results over the weekend. Calling for the managers head every time we lose a match doesn’t help. I think we all know that we need a quality CB and until we get one we shall continue to leak goals.

So because we've got a crap recorded at Goodison it should excuse the players and manager from losing fairly comprehensively in the end to a team that didn't really have to do very much to score 3 goals in 35 minutes? The fact that we lost there in 2004 has nothing to do with abject failures in basic defensive situations. If we used the bogey team excuse then we'd write off half our games a season every year,

• Like 1

Way too early for a manager change. 1st game for goodness sake. However like many my faith in Ralph is starting to slip.

Yes we have a GK issue, obviously cannot be solved until next year. Why exacerbate the situation by messing about with selections? Just ridiculous.

The next two games are about avoiding a hiding. He simply will not survive another heavy defeat.

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why can’t it be addressed till next year. Is there an embargo on signing keepers or a special keeper transfer window that’s now closed? 

Because they stated in the forum they were happy with their two keepers and it wasnt something they were looking at this year.

Presumably if Forster goes next summer when his contract is up thats the earliest it will be looked at.

I dont agree with it but thats how it seems

• Like 1

Not really sure what people are expecting, just look at our squad! What manager wouldnt struggle with that? We are officially a team who just hopes that there are 3 teams worse than us, Jao gets his premier league money for another year and hes happy

Ralph is a top manager, he has proved it at his old clubs and in purple patches at saints but we are simply here to make up the numbers now and we would be moaning about losing whatever manager we had. Going to be another very long season just without last seasons winning streak! 

2 minutes ago, Bstokesaint said:

Not really sure what people are expecting, just look at our squad! What manager wouldnt struggle with that? We are officially a team who just hopes that there are 3 teams worse than us, Jao gets his premier league money for another year and hes happy

Ralph is a top manager, he has proved it at his old clubs and in purple patches at saints but we are simply here to make up the numbers now and we would be moaning about losing whatever manager we had. Going to be another very long season just without last seasons winning streak! 

The Squad.. 

Kwp

Perraud 

Salisu 

Diallo

Walcott

Adams

A. Armstrong 

Broja

Livramento 

Djenepo 

10 of Ralph's signings are in that squad so cant use the squad as an excuse. Could also add Tella and Smallbone to that 10 as Ralph chose to promote them to the 1st team squad

23 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Everyone wanted Puel gone. He went and we got worse.

Everyone wanted Pellegrino gone. He went and nothing improved.

Everyone wanted Hughes gone. He went and nothing improved.

Maybe, just maybe the manager isn't the main issue here?

How can you seriously say things haven't improved since Hughes left... I'm sorry but that just reads like total and utter nonsense. That was 2 and a half years ago and we're still in the league!!! We've also been confortably clear of relegation every season, finished top half, and had a top 4 2020. FML.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

So many bed wetters on this thread after losing fact check our first game of the season. 
Judge the manager at least after half a season before making these sorts of comments. We ve just made a couple signing and will probably so how about you allow the squad to gell and let players settle in before being all doom and gloom.

fucking bunch of muppets

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bstokesaint said:

It’s fair that the bottom half teams will struggle but what The Everton match showed was there is no difference to the end of last season with defensive mistakes, lack of leadership and mental frailty from the players or anything different from Ralph in trying to turn it around. It’s a big issue if Saints want to stay up!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

Yes it has improved slightly but surely the club must by now know that our one trick pony is not up to it anymore

I'm sure they'll be keeping a careful eye and if things don't improve I don't think he'll see November. But i'm not going to freak out over the first few games. He's had a lot of player turnover and gelling a young squad. If he can't deliver with it after a reasonable number of games then i think his time is up. I suspect he knows he's running out of time as it is - but what he and the team don't need is the fans turning on them over fixtures we do historically shite in anyway.

It would be classic Saints if almost all home clubs manage wins at home with the fans behind them, and St Mary's is either its usual quiet self or turns on the team from the start.

Edited by Saint86

9 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

So many bed wetters on this thread after losing fact check our first game of the season. 
Judge the manager at least after half a season before making these sorts of comments. We ve just made a couple signing and will probably so how about you allow the squad to gell and let players settle in before being all doom and gloom.

fucking bunch of muppets

😂Half a season 😂

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl