Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

On 29/07/2020 at 12:03, manji said:

Jeremi Rodriguez from Las Palmas is in the house 400k. He’s at a certain hotel now.

This has never actually been announced despite strong reports. Obviously was lined up for the U23s but presume it didn't happen for some reason in the end?

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

This has never actually been announced despite strong reports. Obviously was lined up for the U23s but presume it didn't happen for some reason in the end?

Strange, as Manji has a usually stellar ITK record.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Alan Nixon said he’s been with us for a while

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tenuous transfer rumour alert (the Twitter account is followed by Simon Peach of the Press Association which gives it a bit of credibility) 

Obligatory YouTube 'best bits' video

Excited by this, his forward passing and freekicks especially look class.

But, are we in danger of having 3 very similar players for the two central midfield spots. This guy is very JWP-ish, and taking away his set peices, Smallbone looks to be a similar type of player to him.

Koopmeiners looks interesting although from the clips doesn't strike you as a high energy hard pressing midfielder. 

However, he has played a fair few games as a left sided centre half so perhaps having somebody who can play multiple positions is attractive to Saints with our limited funds and Salisu not available any time soon. 

13 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Koopmeiners looks interesting although from the clips doesn't strike you as a high energy hard pressing midfielder. 

However, he has played a fair few games as a left sided centre half so perhaps having somebody who can play multiple positions is attractive to Saints with our limited funds and Salisu not available any time soon. 

I have been wondering if we'd like someone a bit versatile, so that's onteresting about him. With my limited player knowledge the only one i could think of was Paddy Mcnair in the championship.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I have been wondering if we'd like someone a bit versatile, so that's onteresting about him. With my limited player knowledge the only one i could think of was Paddy Mcnair in the championship.

Harrison Reed is the same age and outperformed him in the Championship and if Reed wasn't at Saints level, McNair certainly isn't.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Harrison Reed is the same age and outperformed him in the Championship and if Reed wasn't at Saints level, McNair certainly isn't.

I don't think he was suggesting we sign McNair. Just a versatility comparison.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think he was suggesting we sign McNair. Just a versatility comparison.

Im not really a fan of these versatility type players. Unless they are exceptional players it usually means they are pretty average in 3-4 positions and don’t have one good one. 

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Well who says Reed wasn't at Saints level. He chose to go to Fulham rather than stay with us.

Personally i've always liked McNair as a player(he made some poor career moves though) having seen him play a number of times. I mentioned him as he's a domestic player i know who fits the versatile role

I've already said i can't speak for whether there's better viable options abroad in our price range that fit that versatility.

Edited by Baird of the land

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Im not really a fan of these versatility type players. Unless they are exceptional players it usually means they are pretty average in 3-4 positions and don’t have one good one. 

Yeah, that's true. Pretty much feel the same about them, although with Teun I believe he's always been a CM, defensive in nature. 

Morgan was actually capable of 'playing in defence' when we bought him too, in fact I'm sure he played there, but it was pretty obvious he was a CM. Same is the case of Teun imo.

Don't even know if we're interested in him though! I'll await your confirmation 😉

Versatile players usually mean they are technically sound, positionally sound, have good stamina and work rate, and good football intelligence. If a manager trusts them to play multiple positions then it means they are usually pretty good.

Plus there is not a huge amount of difference in the raw abilities you need for full back and more defensive mid positions, which is why the likes of JWP have been able to fill in at full back pretty solidly. 

12 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Well who says Reed wasn't at Saints level. He chose to go to Fulham rather than stay with us.

Personally i've always liked McNair as a player(he made some poor career moves though) having seen him play a number of times. I mentioned him as he's a domestic player i know who fits the versatile role

I've already said i can't speak for whether there's better viable options abroad in our price range that fit that versatility.

Probably the 5 consecutive managers including the current one who decided to either not pick him regularly or loan him out. Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Probably the 5 consecutive managers including the current one who decided to either not pick him regularly or loan him out. Hope that helps.

52 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pretty much sums up why he's decided to move on. On the other hand, it took JWP around 7 seasons before really nailing down a place in the XI and showing his true capabilities and Jack Stephens has given 3+ years of dodgy performances before last season's improvements. Chicken and egg hypotheticals, but I think if we gave Harrison Reed similar patience he might have been a lot closer to nailing down a place in our matchday squad. Even if Fulham go down, I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up playing in the PL again.

3 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Pretty much sums up why he's decided to move on. On the other hand, it took JWP around 7 seasons before really nailing down a place in the XI and showing his true capabilities and Jack Stephens has given 3+ years of dodgy performances before last season's improvements. Chicken and egg hypotheticals, but I think if we gave Harrison Reed similar patience he might have been a lot closer to nailing down a place in our matchday squad. Even if Fulham go down, I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up playing in the PL again.

Big difference being Ward Prowse was usually in the match day squad even when not starting. Reed had a few good games 5 years ago and has hardly played since. He might go on to be a great premier league player, but then I’d suggest At 25 he’d already be at a team better than Fulham 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Big difference being Ward Prowse was usually in the match day squad even when not starting. Reed had a few good games 5 years ago and has hardly played since. He might go on to be a great premier league player, but then I’d suggest At 25 he’d already be at a team better than Fulham 

Rickie Lambert at 25 years old was a League 2 player 😉

My brother supports Fulham and saw a lot of Reed last  season. He said he was the reason they went up as he gave them a more solid defence. It will be interesting to see how he and Fulham get on next season, especially with Lemina in the squad too.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo

SKY SPORTS TC:

SAINTS COOL NTCHAM INTEREST

Southampton showed initial interest in Celtic midfielder Olivier Ntcham but that is no longer expected to lead to a deal.

It’s understood Lyon and Porto are also interested in the 24-year-old, with Porto trying to sign Ntcham last summer.

Edited by Saint Scott

Again, just like McKennie, we do not do our business in the media. If it's linked in different sources, every day, every week then it's unlikely to be true. Our interest becomes public through our sources at a time we are comfortable with. Or potentially at the players end towards the end of the deal but clubs and players we are looking to do business with are told quite quickly to keep it quiet. If it becomes public knowledge we won't entertain it and will either pull out or have already pulled out. If various random internet click bait sources are reporting interest it's likely to be either just clickbait or agents trying to use us to drum up interest. McKennie and Ntcham are not players that ever smacked of credible interest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Again, just like McKennie, we do not do our business in the media. If it's linked in different sources, every day, every week then it's unlikely to be true. Our interest becomes public through our sources at a time we are comfortable with. Or potentially at the players end towards the end of the deal but clubs and players we are looking to do business with are told quite quickly to keep it quiet. If it becomes public knowledge we won't entertain it and will either pull out or have already pulled out. If various random internet click bait sources are reporting interest it's likely to be either just clickbait or agents trying to use us to drum up interest. McKennie and Ntcham are not players that ever smacked of credible interest. 

This is...errr....not true. It is nearly always reported by multiple sources.

Salisu, KWP, Adams and Djenepo all were.

37 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Haha, as if we're powerful enough to keep all the interested parties involved during a potential transfer quiet.

There might be rare occasions when it's in everyone's best interests to say nothing, but most of the time, the player's agent has no reason not to try and drum up additional interest by talking about an offer being on the table.

Our deals are reported in the media late on in negotiations. Not early on, not before we've made offers and enquiries. We're not in the business of letting shit fester in the media whilst we wait around deciding when to make offers. If it's reported as "Saints have interest" it's likely to be bullshit. If we have interest, we'll get into negotiations. If it's reported as fee agreed or bid made by credible sources close to the player or club then it's potentially credible, if it's random sites reporting interest in McKennie and Ntcham when no offers are being made or reported and the closest sources to our club have quite clearly told people we're either not interested or we're getting rid of people first who only left yesterday then it's bullshit.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Our deals are reported in the media late on in negotiations. Not early on, not before we've made offers and enquiries. We're not in the business of letting shit fester in the media whilst we wait around deciding when to make offers. If it's reported as "Saints have interest" it's likely to be bullshit. If we have interest, we'll get into negotiations. If it's reported as fee agreed or bid made by credible sources close to the player or club then it's potentially credible, if it's random sites reporting interest in McKennie and Ntcham when no offers are being made or reported and the closest sources to our club have quite clearly told people we're either not interested or we're getting rid of people first who only left yesterday then it's bullshit.

You're kidding yourself son.

Salisu was reported in the same "random" way as McKennie was.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Here is a great example of the sort of bullshit you are referring to. It tallies with exactly how you describe it panning out and our interest only being Reported late on.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11899974/mohammed-salisu-southampton-keen-on-real-valladolid-defender

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Lol. You don't have a clue. We were interested in McKennie. What a load of tosh. 

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Here is a great example of the sort of bullshit you are referring to. It tallies with exactly how you describe it panning out and our interest only being Reported late on.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11899974/mohammed-salisu-southampton-keen-on-real-valladolid-defender

Touché. Although people who are more in the know and work in our recruitment team would tell you it was a deal all but wrapped up long before this summer and we waited due to a mixture of funds and felt the timing wasn't right. Hence why it so quickly done when the window was open (Covid complications aside).

Same article also names 3 other players, two of which didn't happen, one did but that was described as unlikely in this article. More bullshit than truth in this article. 

Edited by Fabrice29

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Touché. Although people who are more in the know and work in our recruitment team would tell you it was a deal all but wrapped up long before this summer and we waited due to a mixture of funds and felt the timing wasn't right. Hence why it so quickly done when the window was open (Covid complications aside).

Same article also names 3 other players, two of which didn't happen, one did but that was described as unlikely in this article. More bullshit that truth in this article. 

Who are these people who "work in our recruitment team?" Because I actually know people who work at the club and I know for a fact that we had interest in McKennie. 

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Same article also names 3 other players, two of which didn't happen, one did but that was described as unlikely in this article. More bullshit than truth in this article. 

Laughable. That single sky article blows all your points apart. But carry on believing that not a single media source knows anything about any of our transfer deals until they are as good as done if it makes you feel happy. Everyone else will just carry on pointing and laughing at you. 

• Like 1