Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur - Build Up

trousers

Crikey, we are all depressed, aren't we, if the build up thread has only just been posted. Lawrenson's analysis may be crap, but so are Saints at the moment and I'm not feeling very optimistic, particularly as I can now make the pub to watch the game. I feel we're a couple of injuries from disaster, and if 'Arry Redknapp made the comment now  - 'bare bones' - I'd feel for once he was being accurate.

Surely we must strengthen our midfield before the window closes? Doesn't Gao realise it'll be even more of a fire sale if we get relegated?

Dan Sheldon said on TA yesterday that Armstrong may be back for this. Even if not, suggests he won't be far away.

Salisu will be after the first Intl break, so in October. (Source: Ralph).

Surely Redmond's injury will see him miss this one but hopefully thats also not too bad, despite his poor start to the season we need him.

Team - same but with a start for either Tella or Djenepo for the injured Redmond. IMO. Unless he thows Long in perhaps.

We've beaten Spurs at home last two seasons in a row, won't get the hat trick I'm afraid. Another goalless game, 0-0 or 0-1 to spurs. Midday Sunday bound to be a bit flat. 

Spurs played their first team away in Bulgaria and will still be travelling back now. Should help us but for some reason we look far from match fit and devoid of confidence. 

Armstrong back would be a big boost. 

7 hours ago, Dusic said:

Dan Sheldon said on TA yesterday that Armstrong may be back for this. Even if not, suggests he won't be far away.

Salisu will be after the first Intl break, so in October. (Source: Ralph).

Surely Redmond's injury will see him miss this one but hopefully thats also not too bad, despite his poor start to the season we need him.

Team - same but with a start for either Tella or Djenepo for the injured Redmond. IMO. Unless he thows Long in perhaps.

What exactly do we need Redmond for? 

10 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Mark Lawrenson:

‘Going 2 nil to Spurs as Saints barely laid a glove on Palace last weekend?’

The palace keeper was man of match you penis.

When are Gareth Crooks and Lawrenson going to fuck off and get replaced by even more woman.

Their keeper made one very good save and a few routine ones. Lawrenson is correct. We’ve played two games and looked shite. 

Well I have to confess to having a case of the Glasgows or whoever he masquerades as these days.

Without thinking, on Monday evening I was asked if I wanted to play Golf this Sunday teeing off at 9:40am, half way through Tuesday I had a thought "damn Saints kick off at midday Sunday - I won't be home in time" -  I'll set the game to record and watch when I get home plus hope no one tells me the score. Then I watched the Brentford game end to end, and all angst of missing this game "live" disappeared. So I am quite looking forward to spoiling a good walk.

If we were allowed in the stadium to watch, no way would this "error" have been made. Quite honestly having watched saints in person since 21st January 1978, as a 13 year old having made his own way from north of Basingstoke to the game with a couple of chums (a tale for another day), in that time I have seen Saints dish up some real crap football, indeed there has been some sparkling stuff sprinkled in too, but the record books point to the fact that I have witnessed more of the former. Middle of Winter I have walked over the Northam Bridge back to the car in the swirling rain getting rather wet, discussing the poor game we just endured with my mate, and him saying he will probably give the next game a miss, then next game we are both sat in the stadium watching much of the same, cheering in hope. I guess that's the word HOPE. Watching the resumption games gave Hope, Hope that we have turned that corner, Hope that we see some good football, Hope that we will get a good start to the season...............90 minutes in I'm watching a repeat of so many season starts..........180 minutes in, I've tuned into Dave or Gold on TV! Given the worlds uttered by Ralph these last few days, I can't believe I am keener to spend 3 and a half hours walking 5 miles, sinking a few long putts, slicing a few balls into the bushes or the lake, than making sure that I am eagerly sat (sadly) watching the football team I have keenly followed for 46 years.

I Hope we play well, I Hope we win, I even Hope we draw (as that means we might have stopped the rot), I Hope that we put in some effort, I Hope we make our passes................ but right now I Hope its doesn't bloody rain.

Ahhh thats better     

• Like 3

If we continue to defend from our half way line they will murder us, especially if Vest is playing.  Sort the fucking defence out and the rest will follow, but if we continue to try to do things that we are not good enough to do, we will continue to get mullered - again.

Edited by Micky

40 minutes ago, Scully said:

Gareth Bale back in London for Spuds, doubt he will be match fit for this one

Yeah he certainly won't play in our game, 110%.

Doubt he'll be with the squad either, but they'll want to announce it before the game I imagine. Good PR for them.

Edited by S-Clarke

12 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Spurs fan in the office says his impending joining 'noise' is largely to kick their other players up the jacksy to up their game. Alli likely on his way out as Jose doesn't like his attitude.

Not sure if you watched their Docu on Amazon prime, but that was fairly clear from day one. Jose pulled Ali into his office to moan about his lack of application/attitude.

Maybe we can bring Ali in on loan...! 😉

1 minute ago, gammon cheeks said:

Why drop Adams ? 

Because I think the Long + Ings combo works better than Adams + Ings. That said, dropping Adams is likely to dent his confidence so there may well be longer term benefit in persevering with the Adams + Ings partnership. I just have a hunch we'd do better Vs Spurs with Long + Ings.

• Like 1

I think Adams has been a rare bright spot in both games. He played well in the second half of the palace game and his great strength and tenacity almost lead to an assist if Ings hadn't of uncharacteristically skied it. Also in the Brentford game he came closest to a breakthrough with his shot being turned onto the post by an excellent stop. Would be very uninclined to drop him at the moment. If we were to do anything different aside from the changes enforced by injury I would bring in Djenepo from the start instead of Smallbone or Tella as I think he can be a game changer.

• Like 1

There are not many games that I wish I cold be at but always in the past i have watched us against the Spuds. I absolutely detest Levi and  the owners but to be perfectly honest they do have some very good players. Most of them don't like the physical side of our game and will try everything in the book to gain an advantage. They were very lucky last night and we mustn't fall into the trap in believing they are invincible. Go out and beat them and give a little pride please.I don't have a prediction but hope we can a least get a draw. COYS

Looks like Bale is definitely signing for Spurs. He could very well turn their season around. Looks like it won't be done in time for Sunday so on a positive note we may have dodged a bullet there. I know we don't seem to sign former players but I think if I had a choice to bring one back (from fairly recent times) it would either be Bale or Mane. Some would say VvD, but he seems prone to some mistakes lately.....and the manner in which he left. Arrogant ******.  Anyway I have well and truly strayed off topic. Apologies. A draw for me on Sunday or a nice little 2-1 would do wonders for confidence.

16 hours ago, trousers said:

Because I think the Long + Ings combo works better than Adams + Ings. That said, dropping Adams is likely to dent his confidence so there may well be longer term benefit in persevering with the Adams + Ings partnership. I just have a hunch we'd do better Vs Spurs with Long + Ings.

Play long in place of Redmond ? His best season was coming from out wide under Koeman!

• Like 1

Tottenham are out of form, and have been for a while now. They might return to their former selves with the additions of Bale and Reguilon, but they won't be available tomorrow. Mourinho doesn't know how to use Kane and is playing him like he's a prime Drogba, Milito, or Ibrahimovic, when Kane thrives off service, not taking the game to the opposition, which he is currently being asked to do.

They should also be tired after their first team just scraped through a match in Bulgaria on Thursday, needing two red cards and a penalty to win.

Usually seeing Tottenham on the fixture list, you expect a loss, but this is an opportunity to get our season started. Now down to the players, Ralph does have a good record vs Spurs.

20 hours ago, Micky said:

If we continue to defend from our half way line they will murder us, especially if Vest is playing.  Sort the fucking defence out and the rest will follow, but if we continue to try to do things that we are not good enough to do, we will continue to get mullered - again.

Indeed.  I don't understand why we seem to have decided to play a high line with a sweeper keeper when neither our defence or 'keeper are good enough for it?

5 hours ago, redkeith said:

Mourinho style Spurs will probably sit back and counter, just the style we  struggle to break down.  

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That wasn't a problem when we played them last season.

42 minutes ago, SupersonicSaint said:

If you recall the away fixture, we couldn't break down a 10-man Tottenham.

Mourinho was not the manager for the first league game.

6 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Indeed.  I don't understand why we seem to have decided to play a high line with a sweeper keeper when neither our defence or 'keeper are good enough for it?

When Ralph was asked about this in yesterday's press conference, he gave a wry smile and acknowledged it wasn't working too well "yet" but he said there are advantages to playing this way once the players have got used to it (or words to that effect). So, it could be something we need to be patient with as fans, if Ralph is convinced it'll pay dividends long term.

Or, of course, in acknowledging it isn't working (at the moment) he may well decide to ditch it sooner rather than later...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, trousers said:

When Ralph was asked about this in yesterday's press conference, he gave a wry smile and acknowledged it wasn't working too well "yet" but he said there are advantages to playing this way once the players have got used to it (or words to that effect). So, it could be something we need to be patient with as fans, if Ralph is convinced it'll pay dividends long term.

Or, of course, in acknowledging it isn't working (at the moment) he may well decide to ditch it sooner rather than later...

That's insane - high line needs at least one genuinely quick CB and a nimble keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet. Our CBs are lumpen (even Salisu doesn't look that quick) and our first choice keeper is as old school as they come.

37 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

That's insane - high line needs at least one genuinely quick CB and a nimble keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet. Our CBs are lumpen (even Salisu doesn't look that quick) and our first choice keeper is as old school as they come.

Maybe its a ruse....and we aren't going to play like that against Spurs.

13 hours ago, trousers said:

Oi Ralph, we ended last season very well. There's an old saying from the southern United States: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Brentford had players isolating due to COVID19 and had sold their best attackers, yet still managed to brush us aside. I see no reason why an early wake up would stop Kane and Son tearing our weak defence apart.

0-3 to Spuds.