Danny Ings

sisi1992

Can only see us keeping him if there is very high confidence of a takeover during the next 12 months. I don't see any sign of that, so I think we'll sell him - at the moment we're risking trying to stay up this coming season with an untested new striker, versus trying to stay up the season after with no striker.

Just now, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

We were lucky to get a full season out of him a couple of years ago. He won't complete another one of those and even if he does, he's not going to be first choice striker at a top club. Basically his life will be exactly like it was at Liverpool. 

His time at Liverpool was largely spent with serious knee injuries. Which he doesn't currently have.

He has shown over the past two seasons he is capable of playing at a level where he'd be very useful for mist of the big 6.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

His time at Liverpool was largely spent with serious knee injuries. Which he doesn't currently have.

He has shown over the past two seasons he is capable of playing at a level where he'd be very useful for mist of the big 6.

Which will always be from the bench and the odd cup game.

23 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That's all very well, but we need to do this on our terms. No good for us if a club comes in on the last day of the window for Ings, leaving us with zero chance of replacing. We need to make this decision before the start of the pre-season games. I know it will never happen, but ideally if he wants out, we need to put it out there that if he hasn't gone in the next three weeks, he stays for the season. None of this last minute transfer bullshit.

Spurs come in on the last day with £28m bid. Tough to turn it down, even if it places us in a bind. However, if Spurs are leaving it that late, then we start to gain the upper hand and can possibly keep pushing the price up. 

No matter what, we need to be talking to strikers' agents and have deals ready should our reserve price be met. 

• I would like to see him stay but would not be surprised to see him go to Spurs or possibly West Ham. Unlikely to be Everton unless he is content to sit on the bench waiting for Calvert-Lewin or Richarlison to get injured!
  • We would be daft to accept anything less than £30 and should be pushing for as close to £40 (or more?!) as possible if we do sell.
  • Ings should be worth more than Hojbjerg because:
  1. He is a striker - strikers typically demand bigger transfer fees than defensive midfielders
  2. There are more clubs interested
  3. He is a bigger name star player
  4. Presumably we are not going to be negotiating to buy another player from the club to which he is sold - unlike with the Hojbjerg & Walker-Peters transfers
  5. Spurs are only going to be buying him if Kane is sold and the fee they receive for Kane may potentially inflate all transfer fees that they need to pay to replace him.
  • If he is going to leave then, if we can afford it, we should try to keep him until at least January and bring in Armstrong to get established in the comning months before he goes.
  • Letting him go would be madness if we don't also have confidence that the fee he commands allows us to improve the squad beyond what we lose by selling him.
  • If he stays without having signed the contract, there remains the possibility that he will sign during next season.
  • If he doesn't sign and then gets injured, it reduces the likelihood of another club signing him and increases the likelihood that he may accept the offer on the table anyway.
  • If he doesn't sign this summer but we have an even better start to this season than last year (without the injury difficulties excacerbated by a lack of access to conditioning facilities because of COVID), he may be convinced that Saints can and will achieve more in the future and may see value in staying on - even if only with a one year extension or something.
  • I believe that Ings is committed enough to Saints that even if he isn't going to be staying hw will continue to give his all for us in the season ahead.
Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth

4 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:
  • If he stays without having signed the contract, there remains the possibility that he will sign during next season.
  • If he doesn't sign and then gets injured, it reduces the likelihood of another club signing him and increases the likelihood that he may accept the offer on the table anyway.
  • If he doesn't sign this summer but we have an even better start to this season than last year (without the injury difficulties excacerbated by a lack of access to conditioning facilities because of COVID), he may be convinced that Saints can and will achieve more in the future and may see value in staying on - even if only with a one year extension or something.

clutching at straws a little I think. By not signing a new deal, and by the sounds of things, negotiations ending, he's basically saying that he don't wanna be here. He wants to be at a bigger club and is confident one will come in for him. But you never know...

• Like 1

Just my opinion I think Danny Ings is happy at Saints but if a Champions League side come in for him he would take the opportunity to play at that level. The publicity of the refusal to sign a big deal maybe works two ways 1. He is inviting offers from the top four 2. If he does leave the club can say they tried their very best to keep him. With his injury record I cannot see him not signing a long term contract with us or a Champions league side. If he got badly injured during the last year he would lack the security of a contract in the future. I hope Man City get Kane, United have Sancho, Chelsea don't need him and Liverpoo go out of business (wishful thinking not very bitter about Van Dick). So my hope is that he is here at the end of the transfer window and then signs the contract with us for his own security. 

• Like 1

I would question why a 4 year deal?

Ings has got two good years left in him and even that will have a few injury periods.

Time to cash in and get Armstrong, wouldn’t surprise me if this has already been wrapped up to get him at a cheaper price before the Ings news came out.

Use the extra money and wages to get an experienced midfielder like Delaney who would captain the side.

Regarding JWP he ain’t going anywhere unless we get a pathetic 50m offer but it wouldn’t surprise me if James is told to knuckle down and we will allow you to leave next year like we did with Hojberg.

• Like 2

I haven't read through all the posts so apologies if this theory has already been mentioned. My guess is, he will already have spoken to someone who is going to come in for him. They will leave it for a few "respectful" days and then a bid will come in, possibly by the end of this week. Purely speculative thoughts. I don't see he would have called off negotiations with us, with the offer of a four year deal and a pay rise unless he was sure someone is coming in for him with a better offer. Watch this space I reckon.

• Like 4

Danny has 15 months or so between now and the Qatar world cup.

I'm sure his thinking is to see where best he can position himself to attempt to get himself into Southgate's Squad.

For that to be at Southampton we'll have to be bloody shrewd in the transfer market.

10 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

Just my opinion I think Danny Ings is happy at Saints but if a Champions League side come in for him he would take the opportunity to play at that level. The publicity of the refusal to sign a big deal maybe works two ways 1. He is inviting offers from the top four 2. If he does leave the club can say they tried their very best to keep him. With his injury record I cannot see him not signing a long term contract with us or a Champions league side. If he got badly injured during the last year he would lack the security of a contract in the future. I hope Man City get Kane, United have Sancho, Chelsea don't need him and Liverpoo go out of business (wishful thinking not very bitter about Van Dick). So my hope is that he is here at the end of the transfer window and then signs the contract with us for his own security. 

Yeah thats the gist of it for me as well. Its quite simple really, he's entering the final portion of his career and wants to maximise it after his injuries - his last real chance of a world cup / euros is Qatar, and he'll target the highest level regular football he can to get that. He'll end up at the place he feels gives him the best chance of getting that provided the pay is reasonable and he gets to start - i.e. i don't think he'll move sideways when he has a good thing at saints (main man, 2 up top, very attacking), and i don't think he'll move to be a bench player - he'll want to be the main man.

So the only question remains - if he won't sign. Do we force his hand and either try to sell him anyway, or failing that, get Armstrong in and bench danny unless he signs, or do we let him run his contract down?

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Danny has 15 months or so between now and the Qatar world cup.

I'm sure his thinking is to see where best he can position himself to attempt to get himself into Southgate's Squad.

For that to be at Southampton we'll have to be bloody shrewd in the transfer market.

To be honest the chances of getting into Southgate's squad, for him, barring anyone currently in there getting injured, is pretty slim. I would think Watkins and possibly Bamford will have moved above him in Southgate's thinking. 

The more I think about it paying £100k PW for 4 years is hell of a commitment and taking large sums from our potential budget. I still feel keep him for a season and let him go on a free. To still be paying him those wages at 32-33years old does seem pretty strong

• Like 2

Tough one, great player but missed a quarter of our season last year and nearly a third of it in his first season. You wouldn’t think he’s going to fare any better with injuries as he gets older so it’s the balance of is it worth keeping him on a 4 year deal on big money knowing that realistically at best you’re going to get 3/4s of a season out of him. Personally I’d be inclined to cash in. 19/20 season was the best season he’s ever had, not got anywhere near that level the rest of his career. We highly likely won’t sign a player who will get 20 goals a season like Ings 19/20 return as there aren’t may about but if we can use the money to get one who gets 12-15 to play alongside Adams who should be getting double figures next season then that’s not a bad place to be

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is he not going to be effective after he turns 30? I doubt his ability will fall off a cliff whereby he wouldn't be useful aged 30, 31, 32, 33.

If he cant keep fit now what are the chances of him keeping fit as he gets older.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Over the last two seasons he missed only 9 out of 76 Premier League games! So he can keep fit over an extended period!

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

So Danny Ings last 2 seasons minutes played all competitions compared to JWP who played pretty much to the max:

20/21 - 2531

19/20 - 2099

JWP

20/21 - 3960

19/20 - 3910

So for me at least, Ings does still miss lots of minutes, around 40 - 50% less than he could play.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

Interesting viewpoint from Adam Blackmore.

1. Doesn't think Ings has rejected the contract

2. Thinks agent at work trying to stimulate interest (yes MLG, transfers do get played through the media)

3. Club confident Ings will stay this summer

4. Ings wants UCL club or club that can get there in near future. Not likes of West ham and villa 

5. Big risk for Ings to run his contract down given injury record

6. Could well sign new contract come end of window if still at club

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So Danny Ings last 2 seasons minutes played all competitions compared to JWP who played pretty much to the max:

20/21 - 2531

19/20 - 2099

JWP

20/21 - 3960

19/20 - 3910

So for me at least, Ings does still miss lots of minutes, around 40 - 50% less than he could play.

Because as a striker he is more likely to come off earlier in games. He still played in 67 out of 76 league games in those two seasons.

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because as a striker he is more likely to come off earlier in games. He still played in 67 out of 76 league games in those two seasons.

Sure Matt, if that makes you feel better.

But he did play around 40% odd less than he could. That isn’t great, no matter what the position, particularly for our best player and no 1 striker - they dont get taken off unless due to fitness.

I’m not saying get rid or anything, just you cant go banding stats around that suit your position, as they weren’t an accurate reflection of how much playing time he played.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is he not going to be effective after he turns 30? I doubt his ability will fall off a cliff whereby he wouldn't be useful aged 30, 31, 32, 33.

Perhaps but his ability will probably not be of a standard to justify paying him 100k PW in those later years.

Edited by Uncle Albert

What I find worrying is that Ings may well    be more injury prone compared to others in the squad, BUT he was still our top scorer, which does not say much for the rest!!!

So if he does leave where are the goals coming from?

58 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Sure Matt, if that makes you feel better.

But he did play around 40% odd less than he could. That isn’t great, no matter what the position, particularly for our best player and no 1 striker - they dont get taken off unless due to fitness.

I’m not saying get rid or anything, just you cant go banding stats around that suit your position, as they weren’t an accurate reflection of how much playing time he played.

Just a reminder that Ings tested positive for Covid back in January, some of his lack of minutes was down to Covid and the after effects which seemed to have hit his fitness. Not everything was down to injury. 

3 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Just a reminder that Ings tested positive for Covid back in January, some of his lack of minutes was down to Covid and the after effects which seemed to have hit his fitness. Not everything was down to injury. 

Yep good point. He only had COVID in one of the last two seasons though. 

Let’s face it though, is isnt super fit, and does miss a lot of playing time. 

Just listened to the Blackmore thing on BBC Sounds (about twenty minutes into the Solent Sport prog that started at 6pm)

He said the story is true, he wants to go but lots of "lovely lad" stuff about how he's willing to stay, no issues with the club. Yeah, yeah.

Blackmore saying no club has registered any interest yet.

Lots of speculation the he might change his mind and sign at the last minute if no one comes in.

Don't really see it myself.

Lots of "he won't go to the likes of Villa", he doesn't want a sideways move.

Blackmore thinjs Vestergaard more likely to go before Ings.

All points towards a fiasco IMO as Ings holds all the power and the club are left in a very reactive position.

For me it will either be:

1. He leaves near the end of the window for a top club once they have hit dead ends with their top targets and Saints realise we cannot afford to let him run his contract down and leave for free. Saints position it that we already signed his replacement in Armstrong, who at the time of his signing was briefed to Blackmore et al as definitely not being an Ings replacement.

2. He leaves in January for an even more cut price to a 2nd tier PL side like Villa or Everton once he realises that none of the top boys are goijg to move for him. Last chance at a run for the WC squad with a club not battlingnat the wrong end. Saints realise we cannot afford to let him run his contract down and leave for free. Saints position it that we already signed his replacement in Armstrong, who at the time of his signing was briefed to Blackmore et al as definitely not being an Ings replacement.

Edited by Dusic

13 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Over the last two seasons he missed only 9 out of 76 Premier League games! So he can keep fit over an extended period!

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

I don't have the time or inclination to check if those facts are correct or not, but let's assume they are, how many of those games was he still carrying an injury?. 

Let's just be honest, apart from a handful of good games he was not at his best or he was injured last season. And if the reason is because he wants to move away then he is no good to us anyway so let's get some funds for him now and move on. 

11 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yep good point. He only had COVID in one of the last two seasons though. 

Let’s face it though, is isnt super fit, and does miss a lot of playing time. 

He made 38 appearances in the League in 19/20, that's every game (I realise that's not 90 minutes each game of course) so didn't miss mu h through injury/fitness. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He made 38 appearances in the League in 19/20, that's every game (I realise that's not 90 minutes each game of course) so didn't miss mu h through injury/fitness. 

My bad - I looked last night without my glasses, not the 2099 mins i thought.

Checked again:

20/21

Played 29 EPL games

2183 EPL mins played

64% playing time

1997799939_Screenshot2021-07-07at07_59_10.thumb.png.d6750c529de6046c3fdd3c20bed314ca.png

19/20

Played 38 EPL games

2814 EPL mins played

82% playing time

2091449751_Screenshot2021-07-07at07_59_33.thumb.png.ac53e74f2f00cbe73dd94fb9e12eed21.png

Still not brilliant last season.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Basically nothing new in there. Just a rehash of every article from tthe last 12 months about him,

Almost as if Sheldon/The Athletic have no links with the club at all and are just a more polished content aggregator like Hampshire Live... Waste of my £12!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings