Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

8 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Out of contract in June. Had a strong season in Portugal in a poor team. Competition for his signature will be fierce, though - think I read the other day around 30 clubs have registered an interest.

Surprising as his career never really took off as expected. Had forgotten his name until Sideways Jim's post. Remember there had been a bit of a clamour to sign him as 'the next big thing' a few years ago and we were linked in the media with about three or four others from Dundee Utd's youth team at the time. (As we have been again recently).

42 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Interesting...

Would be a shrewd bit of business for that price. We’ve really missed experience in there at times this season, might also give JWP more of a chance for a rest here and there. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Interesting...

Have read good things about him, so would be pleased with his signing, especially at the price suggested. Seems too good at that price so expect a Blackmore exclusive distancing us from his signing. No idea if the source is reliable, anyone know ?

Always a concern it's an agent leak to drum up interest, or that it will drag on expected to be announced after the Euros, when he'll go elsewhere after.

Did read he was mates with Vestergaard from the international squad, may even have played together in Denmark.

Problem if he does sign though, based on the photo there is that he'll reduce our arm tattoo quota so we'll need to sign someone else to make up for it.

Who's off then? Ward-Prowse?

CM isn't a priority position (JWP, Romeu, Diallo, Armstrong, Smallbone, Jankewitz - if he stays), and we've not got much money to throw around. Raise funds selling Prowse, replace him on the cheap and invest the rest improving other positions?

15 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

It doesn't mean anyone is off. Hasenhuttl has stated he wants more depth. Playing Armstrong in CM does not add depth in terms of numbers as it removes him from the role he is first choice for as a 'number 10'.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I always had CM as a position we needed to strengthen, without selling anyone. So this is a positive as this guy is experienced at the highest level.

He will be known to Ralph from Germany and I think, for that price, that is a proper shrewd bit of business. Very good calibre of player.

My only worry is that now other clubs will see him available for that price...

On 18/05/2021 at 11:18, saint lard said:

Southampton are very interested in Thomas Delaney. The English club wants to make a move for the Danish midfielder. A transfer fee would be in the region of 10 million euros.

(🌗) | 🗞 @ESPN 

#BVB

On 18/05/2021 at 11:26, SuperSAINT said:

Would we spend that on a 29 year old?

I think we may well do. 
if it isn’t done already. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d be surprised if CM is where we spend any of our limited budget, unless Diallo has some issue we’re unaware of and wants to leave. 

I'm not sure about Diallo. Tidy footballer, started well, but I'm not convinced that he's the answer. He's not always featured when he's available, and it could be that Diallo is the Diallo issue. 

This lad looks decent and would add some quality and depth to our squad. 

50 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

CM isn't a priority position (JWP, Romeu, Diallo, Armstrong, Smallbone, Jankewitz - if he stays), and we've not got much money to throw around. Raise funds selling Prowse, replace him on the cheap and invest the rest improving other positions?

Apart from Romeu they are all pretty lightweight, if you exclude Jankewitz who may or may not be here next season, so I think Delaney offers a bit more power in the MF, something often lacking. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure about Diallo. Tidy footballer, started well, but I'm not convinced that he's the answer. He's not always featured when he's available, and it could be that Diallo is the Diallo issue. 

This lad looks decent and would add some quality and depth to our squad. 

I think it's pretty natural for a young foreign player to have a bit of a dip in their debut season in a tough new league. I also buy the argument that he's a bit similar to JWP and could do with a tougher player alongside him.

4 defensive CMs does seem like a lot but I'd be sticking with Diallo

58 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Strange, Ralph said it was, full backs (3) and CM (defensive) were his (paraphrased) words. Jankewitz will be off and Smallbone is a hell of a risk at the moment (he was looking excellent, but you never know with these ACLs). Ralph is looking for 2 players per position, so that is Romeu, Diallo, JWP and one more, counting Armstrong is a mistake, he does very well there but AM is his best position and we are weakened by having him play CM, if we could clone him then it would be different.

14 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

4 defensive CMs does seem like a lot but I'd be sticking with Diallo

Not really, Hasenhuttl wants two players per position. Having 3 players for 2 places in the team is very risky. Having Armstrong play there weakens the team in the number 10 roles.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

where does this rumour actually come from though ? Has anyone seen it from a credible source ?

The fan twitter accounts suggest it came from Bild but I have checked their site and twitter and there is no mention of it.

I would be suprised, seeing as Romeu is now fit and Diallo wasn't starting even with him out.

Its not Saints style to relegate a young talent they just signed and the Manager has raved about to 4th or 5th choice whilst signing 29yo' with no resale value.

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The fan twitter accounts suggest it came from Bild but I have checked their site and twitter and there is no mention of it.

I would be suprised, seeing as Romeu is now fit and Diallo wasn't starting even with him out.

Its not Saints style to relegate a young talent they just signed and the Manager has raved about to 4th or 5th choice whilst signing 29yo' with no resale value.

Diallo was subbed on for Walcott at the weekend so it's possible Ralph seems him as cover for both CM and the AM roles.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Diallo was subbed on for Walcott at the weekend so it's possible Ralph seems him as cover for both CM and the AM roles.

We didn't spend the money to sign Diallo and make him a 5th choice CM and 6th choice #10.

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Romeu is 30 later in the year.

Perhaps the penny has dropped in the last few months that we need some experienced heads in key positions to assist the younger players in coming through, and they can't just be thrown in together in the hope it all comes together.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We didn't sign him to make him first choice straight away either, certainly not when he hasn't justified it. 

Of course, and he hasnt been first choice.

When there is a single credible report linking us with Delaney then maybe there is something in it, but until then I think its a very un-Saints transfer for many reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course, and he hasnt been first choice.

When there is a single credible report linking us with Delaney then maybe there is something in it, but until then I think its a very un-Saints transfer for many reasons.

Including getting a deal done this early.

• Haha 1

Let's not forget that Romeu wasn't and probably shouldn't be a starter. Diallo and JWP playing together clearly doesn't work so we should definitely be looking at Delaney/Romeu - JWP/Diallo as our depth. 

I think our absolutely comical lack of depth over the past few years has got people forgetting you should have options.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Delaney would be a good fit and crucially has bags of experience, fits our style and has a good mentality. I would be extremely happy if he signed. 

Personally I think he's exactly the type of profile we are missing to be honest. Bit of experience, bit of leadership, doesn't need time to 'adjust'. Straight in.

If we can add a couple of these experienced heads along with younger talent then this is a positive approach. Unsure why people are so concerned about resell value, let's worry about the here and now for once.

Obviously it might not happen though!

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Personally I think he's exactly the type of profile we are missing to be honest. Bit of experience, bit of leadership, doesn't need time to 'adjust'. Straight in.

If we can add a couple of these experienced heads along with younger talent then this is a positive approach. Unsure why people are so concerned about resell value, let's worry about the here and now for once.

Completely agree, the squad badly needs experience, quality and character through the spine of the first team. Look at how much Romeu has been missed Jan to now. Armstrong is better further forward and not convinced from the fans forum that he wants to play as a 6 although has done a job there. I see Diallo as more box to box like Lemina should have been. 

The younger buys will be in wide/striker areas, maybe a CB that is right footed if Vesty leaves. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

where does this rumour actually come from though ? Has anyone seen it from a credible source ?

Many reports give ESPN (Stephan Uersfeld) as their source.

App-Icon-Android-7.png&w=126&site=espnfc09.27 BST: Southampton are set to make a move for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Thomas Delaney, sources have told ESPN's Stephan Uersfeld.

The Denmark international is under contract at the Westfalenstadion for another season, and the German club would be willing to part ways with him for a transfer fee in the region of €10m.

Having joined Dortmund from Werder Bremen in 2018, Delaney made 85 competitive appearances for BVB across all competitions, but in recent weeks lost his place on the team.

The 29-year-old has been mostly coming on as a substitute as Germany international Mo Dahoud and England youngster Jude Bellingham have been regular starters in central midfield.

LIVE Transfer Talk - Man City consider record-breaking, one-year deal for Lionel Messi (espn.com)

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Totally agree.

It is partially the Reed inspired 'resell' doctrine that has seen our decline, trying to make the "clever" signing with growth rather than build the team with youth and experience. 

For those obsessed with "resell value" just remember the Huddersfield chairman who declined his managers suggestion of signing Rickie Lambert for about £850,000 on the grounds of his age and no resell value about 12 months before we paid £1m for him.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Totally agree.

It is partially the Reed inspired 'resell' doctrine that has seen our decline, trying to make the "clever" signing with growth rather than build the team with youth and experience. 

For those obsessed with "resell value" just remember the Huddersfield chairman who declined his managers suggestion of signing Rickie Lambert for about £850,000 on the grounds of his age and no resell value about 12 months before we paid £1m for him.

That is kind of the exception that proves the rule, though

Maybe for once the club has realised that not every single signing you make can be made with a view to what you’ll sell them for in a few years. Jonny Evans, Gary Cahill, Craig Dawson, all have signed for similar size clubs to us in recent years with no future value but adding immense value in the immediate term. Resell value doesn’t mean much if you get relegated 👍🏻.

• Like 3

Really hope this comes off and isn’t a replacement for JWP (Spurs?) or Romeu (J-league? (Isn’t he learning Japanese ?). If genuine addition and we’re not gazumped, we’ll done Saints

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Maybe for once the club has realised that not every single signing you make can be made with a view to what you’ll sell them for in a few years. Jonny Evans, Gary Cahill, Craig Dawson, all have signed for similar size clubs to us in recent years with no future value but adding immense value in the immediate term. Resell value doesn’t mean much if you get relegated 👍🏻.

Unless it finances promotion ;)