Che Adams

SKD

Seems to get off lightly as all the flack is aimed at Redmond, but what an awful footballer is Adams. Absolutely not up to the standard of the premier league and seemingly getting worse. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt before as his work outside of the box was pretty tidy, I assumed he lack of goals was a bit of bad luck as he seems to find the right position, but even that’s gone now and the less said about his finishing the better. 

I cannot believe that I’m in a position of wanting Obafemi back from injury, just to get this idiot out the side. I’d rather we played with Redmond through the middle if I’m honest. 

Is he any better than Long? I’m struggling to see what he brings that long doesn’t. Let’s hope a championship club feel like they can get him scoring and we recoup some of our investment on him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I actually thought this was a piss take at first, and read right to the end to find the punchline. 

I couldnt find it.

I'm not here to change anyones views, that's a largely futile position to take.

What I would say is Adam's, Ings and others have all seen a drop in form, stemmed from injuries, VAR etc, and this has stripped confidence from throughout the team.

It will come back, the confidence that is, as will form. Adam's is a good player, at our level, and it is ridiculous to suggest Long, or Redmond or even Obafemi are better. 

We all seem to be clamouring for scapegoats currently, and that is understandable to an extent, but let's see where we are in a month.

When we read back through lots of these comments a while from now, I'm sure we will all be a little embarrassed by what we have individually and collectively said. 

*I fully reserve the right to change my mind in a knee jerk manner should i not be happy with the next game.

• Like 4

Weird stat about Che but he's actually in the top 10 for chances created in the Prem this season. Behind only Bruno, KDB, Grealish, Kane, Son, Robertson & Rodriguez. 

I still think he's a good player and he brings a lot to the team outside of scoring goals, he's just in a bit of a bad spell just like everybody else. I think he's an absolutely ludicrous one to give up on, with some of the others we're watching. 

• Like 3

Adams is being forced to feed off scraps because we are creating very few scoring chances. When he misses a glut of chances will be the time to berate him. Right now he is receiving zero service mainly because of the fact that we are content to continually recylce the ball and go backwards rather than attempting to apply some real pressure to our opponents. We are far too easy to defend against and Ralph needs to address that.  

• Like 2

Another scapegoat thread.

Adams cost £15m, has had some good games, some bad. He works hard, has played a lot of minutes and when were better as a team he looked better than he does now when the team is struggling.

He isn't a natural finisher but as others have suggested has created quite a few chances this season.

He is one of the biggest issues we have? No.

Deary me. Granted he's not as much of a goal threat as we hoped he would be, but he clearly offers something, and we're a better side when he is in it IMO. He can hold the ball up, which no-one else really can do, and bring others into play.

Would I like us to have an upgrade? Absolutely yes

Can we afford to buy someone who is way better than him at what he does? Unlikely.

Is he good enough to play for Saints? Yes

He is not in good form at the moment no-one can deny that & sure he shouldn't be beyond critisism but what seperates him from Redmond is work rate & attitude he mostly gives. 90-100% effort & is still getting in the right positions he still works hard off the ball and there is a player that had the potential to improve, I also like that he doesn't give up on chasing down keepers etc to put pressure on them,  I just can't see that Redmond will improve as he is pretty much 27 and has already passed his peak 

1 hour ago, team-saint said:

Not a natural goalscorer but very good at holding the ball. Does the Long role much better than Long ever did

Not true, he’s nowhere near the level long was under Koeman (neither is long, but that wasn’t your point). 

He’s average, but gives us something different. 

5 hours ago, SKD said:

Seems to get off lightly as all the flack is aimed at Redmond, but what an awful footballer is Adams. Absolutely not up to the standard of the premier league and seemingly getting worse. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt before as his work outside of the box was pretty tidy, I assumed he lack of goals was a bit of bad luck as he seems to find the right position, but even that’s gone now and the less said about his finishing the better. 

I cannot believe that I’m in a position of wanting Obafemi back from injury, just to get this idiot out the side. I’d rather we played with Redmond through the middle if I’m honest. 

Is he any better than Long? I’m struggling to see what he brings that long doesn’t. Let’s hope a championship club feel like they can get him scoring and we recoup some of our investment on him. 

Idiot? Not sure why you have to get personal about it. If you don't rate him fair enough, rather strange thing to say.

• Like 2

He's a massive confidence player is Adams.

Not sure what you expected from him really, but he's always been pretty average. Nothing extraordinary about him technically, but he works well in a pair with a mobile striker alongside him.

When we were clicking, it was often him using his movement to open space for Ings to get into. Or he'd use his movement to get the by-line and pass back to Ings to score etc.

He's a decent support player for a more mobile player, that's how I'd describe him.

We would hit massive, massive trouble if the club decided he was our Ings replacement though. He's a support striker, needs a better quality partner, in form, in order to be truly effective on a consistent basis.

Edited by S-Clarke

5 hours ago, SKD said:

I only liked your post because I have OCD and wanted you to have all 4 emoticons showing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, SKD said:

Another pathetic post why do you bother 

6 hours ago, SKD said:

Hes undoubtedly better than Long and hes better than Obafemi. If you cant see that then I dont know what you've been watching. Yes hes frustrating at times but thats why hes at Southampton. We definitely need somebody to compete with him for second striker alongside Ings (or whoever his replacement will be). N'Lundulu just doesnt excite me at all

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He needs to do extra training on his left foot.  There’s no excuse for a professional to be so one-footed.

He’s playing poorly at the moment, but he’s proved he’s better than his current form.

But not much better.  How many goals has he scored in nearly 2 seasons?

I had high hopes for him.  Part of the issue is being used in our now awful system - that is on Hassenhutl

10 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s playing poorly at the moment, but he’s proved he’s better than his current form.

Or, he had one little hot streak last season but has subsequently regressed to his standard level which is broadly ineffective.

I liked him at the beginning and his run during that first lockdown was very satisfying but it's pretty clear he is not first choice Premier League standard.

I don't agree with those who say he's clearly better than Long. He's not better than Long was for us at the same kind of age. He’s barely better than Long is now at present.

I remain hopeful he can find some form again but this relies on the team being better and Ings scoring again. Our Che himself is not going to be the catalyst of any revival, but he might benefit as a passenger of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Or, he had one little hot streak last season but has subsequently regressed to his standard level which is broadly ineffective.

I liked him at the beginning and his run during that first lockdown was very satisfying but it's pretty clear he is not first choice Premier League standard.

I don't agree with those who say he's clearly better than Long. He's not better than Long was for us at the same kind of age. He’s barely better than Long is now at present.

I remain hopeful he can find some form again but this relies on the team being better and Ings scoring again. Our Che himself is not going to be the catalyst of any revival, but he might benefit as a passenger of it.

Yep, spot on. If you look at his career, he’s only really ever had 1 good season in terms of goal return. 

like you, I liked him when he arrived, thought he had a bit about him and just had a bit of bad luck. I always, until this recent run, thought he was tidy in terms of build up. It’s deeper than just a bad run of form or lack of confidence as he’s been like it since the day he arrived, nearly 18 months ago now. 

If Long or Redmond had missed as many simple changes as Che, they’d have had absolute pelters. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player who is a natural goal scorer, especially at this level. 

A lot of short memories. Easy to forget that Long was keeping him out the side last year, which is what effectively earned him a new contract. 

Im not making him a scapegoat, just sick of seeing constant abuse directed at certain players (I.e Redmond, some warranted, some not), when others just as bad but get a free pass 🤷🏻‍♂️

long story short, if we’re relying on Che to get us goals next season, we’re fucked. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

He doesn’t strike me as the type of player who is a natural goal scorer, especially at this level. 

He isn't a natural goalscorer at this level, and very few are, let alone a player signed for £15m from the Championship.

It shows how fortunate we are to have Ings who is a natural goalscorer, albeit one we won't have for much longer.

I don't really see the value of slagging Adams - he works hard, is rarely unavailable with injury and seems to be a professional guy.

He isn't a natural goalscorer like Aguero or Harry Kane. Like most other strikers for non top 6 sides then. I am not sure what you expected him to be?

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

I must say I actually agree with the OP, I don't rate Adams and I don't think he's a PL standard footballer.

His composure isn't good enough, his awareness isn't good enough and he takes too long to get a shot away. He also isn't overly quick or tall to get away with it.

1 goal and 1 assist in last 19 league games is abysmal.

Going back further, he has 10 goals in past 78 league games across both Saints and Birmingham.

Not really sure what he offers apart from running around a lot.

Upgrade needed over the summer.

N'Lundulu must be wondering what he has to do to get some decent game time.

• Like 2

I think generally the most positive thing about Che is that he acts as a positive partner for Danny (when both on song). 

He’s ‘okay’, shown flashes that suggest the could improve and IMO be a 10 goal a season prem striker. If he was our main goal threat I’d have serious concerns though. 

I’m a bit of an apologist but I find it hard to be too critical of individual players when collectively the team is in such a funk. Very few coming out with much credit at the moment. Armstrong aside I think we’d all struggle to agree that anybody else is performing consistently well. 

Also, in mitigation Adams was relatively cheap for a young English striker. The fee paid for Watkins and the mooted price tags on Armstrong and Toney suggest as much. His goal record is inferior but if he develops into a 10 goal a season striker for us £15mil will seem like small beer.

His confidence is low and the team's attacking / chance creation / runners into the box etc. has all dropped off a cliff.

But am astounded at how hard he works, how well he holds the ball up, the problems he causes, the chances he creates, and his one touch finishing (when he doesn't think about it) are all good. If you could improve his composure he'd be a good player.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, supersonic said:

I must say I actually agree with the OP, I don't rate Adams and I don't think he's a PL standard footballer.

His composure isn't good enough, his awareness isn't good enough and he takes too long to get a shot away. He also isn't overly quick or tall to get away with it.

1 goal and 1 assist in last 19 league games is abysmal.

Going back further, he has 10 goals in past 78 league games across both Saints and Birmingham.

Not really sure what he offers apart from running around a lot.

Upgrade needed over the summer.

N'Lundulu must be wondering what he has to do to get some decent game time.

You are mad if you think n'lundulu would be any kind of an upgrade, all I can see is that he offers a physical lump presence & looks strong but looks a complete carthorse in terms of finesse & footballing skill, his tackling is the clumsiest I've ever seen 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

You are mad if you think n'lundulu would be any kind of an upgrade, all I can see is that he offers a physical lump presence & looks strong but looks a complete carthorse in terms of finesse & footballing skill, his tackling is the clumsiest I've ever seen 

Completely agree. N'Lundulu has held it up well when he's come on but I can't see anything else there to suggest he'll make it as a premier league player. He must be 22 now? Is he past the age of being young, hungry and guaranteed to improve? 

I think Che is a decent squad player but not really good enough to be a regular starter at this level. He does offer good hold up play and has contributed some good assists this season such as Theo's goal at Arsenal. But ultimately strikers will always be judged on their ability to score goals and I don't think Che will ever be prolific.

A good player to have in the squad but ideally an upgrade needed. Unfortunately we don't have the money for that.

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Completely agree. N'Lundulu has held it up well when he's come on but I can't see anything else there to suggest he'll make it as a premier league player. He must be 22 now? Is he past the age of being young, hungry and guaranteed to improve? 

Generally agree In most cases you know if a player is going to make the grade by 22, of course theres exceptions JWP is 26 but only really hit a more consistent form a couple of years ago 

10 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Lol. I see SKD's opinions haven't got any worse over the years

Fair play to him, a very good strike. At least he’s proven me wrong in that he might scrape a goal or 2 in the championship. Still nowhere near what we need though at this level. 

Against a better team, his simple 1 on 1 would cost us. 

Today pretty summed the bloke up for me. Give him time to think about what he has to do and he’s useless. Absolutely no composure. But he can actually hit the ball pretty hard, so when it’s not straight at the keeper (1 out of 100 times) he’s got a chance of scoring. 

let’s hope he kicks on now, the next couple of weeks will determine if it’s a lack of confidence, form or if he’s just shite. 

My money is on the latter and 1 good strike doesn’t change that for me 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SKD said:

Fair play to him, a very good strike. At least he’s proven me wrong in that he might scrape a goal or 2 in the championship. Still nowhere near what we need though at this level. 

Today pretty summed the bloke up for me. Give him time to think about what he has to do and he’s useless. Absolutely no composure. But he can actually hit the ball pretty hard, so when it’s not straight at the keeper (1 out of 100 times) he’s got a chance of scoring. 

let’s hope he kicks on now, the next couple of weeks will determine if it’s a lack of confidence, form or if he’s just shite. 

Interesting post   😬

Any news on Bertrand "definitely" leaving 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Has he been nailing your missus or something? Seems like you have a genuine dislike for him. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

A bit like Walcott re time to think about it !

I like him. Not because he is going to get 15 PL goals, but because he is one of those players who always gives his all, grafts, is robust and nearly always fit to play and who does have natural ability that keeps you feeling like there is more to come.

There are some lazy comparisons with Shane Long on this thread, but Adams has much more on his locker technique wise than Long, the problem is he doesn't show it enough.

He could easily have pushed for the Leeds move and accepted it just hadnt worked out at Saints but he didn't, worked hard and got himself back involved and I respect him for that.

Our best spell of the season came when he was playing well, so hopefully he can keep playing on the level that he did 2nd half today and have a good end to the season. 

A good season for a player like Adams would be 8 PL goals and he could easily achieve that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Agree... A few people wear rose tinted glasses after a win or a goal and lose perspective of the overall.... 

Chez missed two gilt edged chances today and that has been an issue for the team lately...

Chez is one footed and dog average unless you are comparing with Shef Utd who were totally inept.. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Agree... A few people wear rose tinted glasses after a win or a goal and lose perspective of the overall.... 

Chez missed two gilt edged chances today and that has been an issue for the team lately...

Chez is one footed and dog average unless you are comparing with Shef Utd who were totally inept.. 

I have disagreed with you before and this is another “dog average” absolute rubbish. You can’t even get his name right!

He's a dreadful finisher who seems to rely on whacking it as hard as he can in lieu of attempting to place it. Every now and then one of those swingers will go in, but it doesn't change anything about his technical weaknesses as a player. He's also so scared of his left foot touching the ball that he gets himself into ridiculous situations either trying to turn or aimlessly flicking it with the outside of his right.

To give him his due, he's decent as a hold up and link player, but if we have to rely on him for goals next season, I suspect our recent run of blank defeats will look modest in comparison.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

He's a dreadful finisher who seems to rely on whacking it as hard as he can in lieu of attempting to place it. Every now and then one of those swingers will go in, but it doesn't change anything about his technical weaknesses as a player. He's also so scared of his left foot touching the ball that he gets himself into ridiculous situations either trying to turn or aimlessly flicking it with the outside of his right.

To give him his due, he's decent as a hold up and link player, but if we have to rely on him for goals next season, I suspect our recent run of blank defeats will look modest in comparison.

Why are we relying on him for goals next season?