Nathan Tella

Lighthouse

56 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

its the million dollar question isnt it ? 

Last season he seemed to be Ralph's blue eyed boy, this season he's behind our own special not so fab four of Redmond, Ely, Djenepo and Walcott......oh wait, no, Ralph now sees him more as a central striker in competition with Armstrong (cant remember what game it was he stated this in the pre match press conference). Yet when he drops Armstrong he gives the spot to.......Redmond, with Tella still sat on the bench.

Now whether there is an attitude problem with the player I've no idea. But its a very strange situation. 

Ralph did exactly the same with Obafemi and it resulted in him going to Swansea when he fell out of favour and wasn't selected, i know Tella has miles better potential than Oba ever did and he has looked a threat when he does play, but if he's just not been given the opportunities to show his talent, what else can he do??, i'd expect Ralph (if still here by then) to send him out on loan in January if he doesn't get game time, Ralph needs to play him ASAP and drop Walcott he has been terrible since signing that pernanant deal (deja vue with the Saganowski deal back in the championship in 2007).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

its the million dollar question isnt it ? 

Last season he seemed to be Ralph's blue eyed boy, this season he's behind our own special not so fab four of Redmond, Ely, Djenepo and Walcott......oh wait, no, Ralph now sees him more as a central striker in competition with Armstrong (cant remember what game it was he stated this in the pre match press conference). Yet when he drops Armstrong he gives the spot to.......Redmond, with Tella still sat on the bench.

Now whether there is an attitude problem with the player I've no idea. But its a very strange situation. 

I guess the explanation is here. He was much better as a forward than as an AM last season and with Redmond playing well atm, Broja on a scoring streak, Armstrong being our biggest summer signing, and Che having important qualities like passing and hold up which Tella doesn't possess, he just isn't on the pecking order. 

2 minutes ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

Ralph did exactly the same with Obafemi and it resulted in him going to Swansea when he fell out of favour and wasn't selected, i know Tella has miles better potential than Oba ever did and he has looked a threat when he does play, but if he's just not been given the opportunities to show his talent, what else can he do??, i'd expect Ralph (if still here by then) to send him out on loan in January if he doesn't get game time, Ralph needs to play him ASAP and drop Walcott he has been terrible since signing that pernanant deal (deja vue with the Saganowski deal back in the championship in 2007).

Oba was constantly injured too tbf

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

I don't think he is miles better than Elyounoussi personally. Probably better than Theo but Ralph 

For me tella is miles better than Elyounoussi and showed what an asset he is for us last season. He was only gonna get better with more game time. Unfortunately Ralph hasn't got a clue what his best team is let alone how to go about beating teams tactically. Tella must be wondering what he's done wrong and if it's worth sticking around. What a waste of a real talent.

I thought this would be the season that Tella explodes onto the scene, but it just hasn't happened.

We can't really be sure as to why, things go on behind the scenes that none of us are really ever privy to. I imagine he'll play mid-week though, so that is his chance to stake his claim for a regular place in the 11.

He really should be ahead of Theo though, who should have retired at the end of last season. Theo is nothing more than a PR job by the club, but let's not ensure that comes as a risk to actual footballers like Tella.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought this would be the season that Tella explodes onto the scene, but it just hasn't happened.

We can't really be sure as to why, things go on behind the scenes that none of us are really ever privy to. I imagine he'll play mid-week though, so that is his chance to stake his claim for a regular place in the 11.

He really should be ahead of Theo though, who should have retired at the end of last season. Theo is nothing more than a PR job by the club, but let's not ensure that comes as a risk to actual footballers like Tella.

Away at Chelsea again where he'll have to spend most of his time defending.

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We'll play on the break I imagine, which is arguably perfect for him to show his talents. 

Yeah you are correct but to play the kid against top teams away yet leave him out of potentially winnable easier games is unfair on him.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I assumed it was something to do with his contract. He’d surely be more involved otherwise. 

What do you mean? Refusing to sign a new contract. How long does he have left? Shouldn't make any difference he should be in that team most weeks. Very strange how he's being treated.

9 minutes ago, Streaky said:

What do you mean? Refusing to sign a new contract. How long does he have left? Shouldn't make any difference he should be in that team most weeks. Very strange how he's being treated.

Summer 2023, so 18 months ish...I don't disagree, especially last 10 mins on Saturday, I'd have much rather seen Tella come on and have a go at them than Armstrong. But feels like there is something going on, or surely he would be playing, at least he'd be coming on, as he's a different type of player to the rest of our "wide players"

On 24/10/2021 at 11:47, TWar said:

I don't think he is miles better than Elyounoussi personally. Probably better than Theo but Ralph seemingly disagrees. 

In fairness you claimed Broja wasn’t better than Armstrong and Adams, so let’s take your opinion with a huge pinch of salt. 

2 hours ago, Streaky said:

He only has 1 year left at the end of this season.  If he makes an impression this year and doesn't sign a new one we'll be putting him in the shop window to sell for bugger all

1 hour ago, Dman said:

In fairness you claimed Broja wasn’t better than Armstrong and Adams, so let’s take your opinion with a huge pinch of salt. 

It's been two games, seems a bit early to be claiming victory on this one. I also claimed Livra was very good and I seem to remember your alter ego disagreed with that so...

2 hours ago, darren2 said:

He only has 1 year left at the end of this season.  If he makes an impression this year and doesn't sign a new one we'll be putting him in the shop window to sell for bugger all

So the best way to convince him to sign a new contract for us is by not playing him?

Some 4D chess going on there... 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t see the bloke being worse than Elyounoussi or Walcott today. Showed some promise last year, has anybody asked Ralph why he’s not featuring? 

I find it baffling why he isn't in the first 11 most weeks. His direct running and work rate seems perfect for hassenhuttls system. Sooner or later he will get fed up and leave. What a waste of a great talent.

• Sad 1

Didn't Ralph describe him as being the most technically gifted player at the club last season? That being the case, how in Earth does Walcott get on the pitch ahead of him? 

He was the best player on the pitch in the cup game at Sheff Utd. He's not been given a sniff since then. 

Baffling.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t see the bloke being worse than Elyounoussi or Walcott today. Showed some promise last year, has anybody asked Ralph why he’s not featuring? 

I don’t think Tells is the future of football like some of our fans b it he’s got to be better than Walcott and Djneppo. Unless he’s really dropped off, in which case his decent showings were as far as he will go, or like other players, he’s got on the wrong side of the dear leader. 

Just now, Daft Kerplunk said:

I don’t think Tells is the future of football like some of our fans b it he’s got to be better than Walcott and Djneppo. Unless he’s really dropped off, in which case his decent showings were as far as he will go, or like other players, he’s got on the wrong side of the dear leader. 

Agree with that. He's shown promise, but he's not the superstar in waiting some suggest. That said, I can't understand why he hasn't featured more this season, and I do wander whether he's on the naughty step. 

• Like 3

I dare say he is a smidge overrated on here. I think he is a decent option as a forward but I don't really think he's all that great as a 10. He's better than Walcott imo, but then again who isn't. I don't think he should be anywhere near the pitch when Stu, Djenepo, Redmond, and Elyounoussi are all fit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

I dare say he is a smidge overrated on here. I think he is a decent option as a forward but I don't really think he's all that great as a 10. He's better than Walcott imo, but then again who isn't. I don't think he should be anywhere near the pitch when Stu, Djenepo, Redmond, and Elyounoussi are all fit.

Sort of agree, but with the improvement he showed last year you could expect some further improvement this year.

but if you aren’t going to use him today it’s clear Ralph is never going to use him again

11 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Sort of agree, but with the improvement he showed last year you could expect some further improvement this year.

but if you aren’t going to use him today it’s clear Ralph is never going to use him again

I think Ralph will use him, but probably as a forward. From his comments he sees him as our 4th choice Cf which means he should get plenty of chances to play there in the cup or if two get injured.

• 1 month later...

Good news. World is his Oyster. While usually glass half full I often wonder what our team would look like if we did get relegated and I think we'd have a top Championship team with the likes of him in it. 

Not that I think we will go down this season, though I don't think it will be comfortable...