Yan Valery

Rickman42

Here's an interesting one...Yan Valery has been filling in for Jack Stephens in Central Defence during Saints training sessions...

“He has been playing at centre-back in a lot of sessions, replacing Jack Stephens during his injury, & I must say that he does it in a good way.” - Ralph 

He's certainly not getting a look in at right-back in the near future with Tino and KWP...where does the lad go from here?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Can't say I'm filled with confidence TBH. Last time he played (at Sheff Utd) he was dreadful defensively. I'd be very concerned about playing him at CB against a more competent team.

I agree, however ............................  Salisu will be off to the African Nations cup, Jack Stephen's is due back "in the New Year". It really does mean that we are down to Bednarek and Lyanco for late December and January. An injury to one of them and we really will be scraping the barrel just like earlier this year. Sure Romeu could step in but you lose his influence in midfield and he has less pace than Bernarek (and obviously Salisu) so it would not be ideal. 

This is basic business continuity planning, where you need to plan for the worst case scenarios - most continuity plans are never used in anger, but I think that Saints need to plan for a mini personnel crisis if Salisu and Stephens are both unavailable for 4-5 games...  But should Valery be part of that planning ?   Maybe Simeu would be a better fit but none of the options appeal - just hope Jack is back sooner than expected or Ghana are knocked out early. 

Based on the above, actually testing 1-2 of these options against Chelsea makes some sense. It doesn't look like Simeu though as I think he played for the B team yesterday. 

28 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I agree, however ............................  Salisu will be off to the African Nations cup, Jack Stephen's is due back "in the New Year". It really does mean that we are down to Bednarek and Lyanco for late December and January. An injury to one of them and we really will be scraping the barrel just like earlier this year. Sure Romeu could step in but you lose his influence in midfield and he has less pace than Bernarek (and obviously Salisu) so it would not be ideal. 

This is basic business continuity planning, where you need to plan for the worst case scenarios - most continuity plans are never used in anger, but I think that Saints need to plan for a mini personnel crisis if Salisu and Stephens are both unavailable for 4-5 games...  But should Valery be part of that planning ?   Maybe Simeu would be a better fit but none of the options appeal - just hope Jack is back sooner than expected or Ghana are knocked out early. 

Based on the above, actually testing 1-2 of these options against Chelsea makes some sense. It doesn't look like Simeu though as I think he played for the B team yesterday. 

Is Salisu actually going? I didnt think he was playing for Ghana yet.

39 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

We've got Lancashire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

1) Salisu will be off to the African Nations cup

2) Jack Stephen's is due back "in the New Year".

1) Salisu has not had a single cap for Ghana, so why do you think he'll be going to the African Cup of Nations?

2) Stephens was reported to be out for "upto 12 weeks" from an injury 18th September. Which would be returning anytime up to 11th December.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-09-21/ralph-hasenhuttl-on-jack-stephens-injury-southampton-football-club-21-september-2021

Edited by Matthew Le God

30 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Salisu has not had a single cap for Ghana, so why do you think he'll be going to the African Cup of Nations?

2) Stephens was reported to be out for "upto 12 weeks" from an injury 18th September. Which would be returning anytime up to 11th December.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-09-21/ralph-hasenhuttl-on-jack-stephens-injury-southampton-football-club-21-september-2021

1) My source was that bible of football the Daily Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/africa-cup-nations-players-leaving-25271688   but you're right that he hasn't been playing - although he did say this year that he was now making himself available https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/Southampton-defender-Mohammed-Salisu-confirms-decision-to-play-for-Ghana-1210204.   As a Premier league starter I would assume that there is a good chance he could get called up. 

2) I read elsewhere last week that it could be new year - sorry don't have the source. Long term injuries are notoriously difficult to predict, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see a longer lay off than originally predicted. 

My main point remains; there is a reasonable chance that one or both won't be available, so we need to have contingency plans in place. 

• Like 1

I had to re-read that, he would be utterly dismantled in the Prem league playing there. I can’t think of a single attribute he possesses that would lend itself to that position. For prem cb I’m thinking composure, reading the game, strength, Ariel prowess, perfect tackling, mental strength, determination, awareness. Anyone else get a picture of Valery from those characteristics ??

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I had to re-read that, he would be utterly dismantled in the Prem league playing there. I can’t think of a single attribute he possesses that would lend itself to that position. For prem cb I’m thinking composure, reading the game, strength, Ariel prowess, perfect tackling, mental strength, determination, awareness. Anyone else get a picture of Valery from those characteristics ??

If, and its a big If, Ralph plays him at CB tonight then that is the final nail for Ralph  it would be as if he's trying to get the sack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

Here's an interesting one...Yan Valery has been filling in for Jack Stephens in Central Defence during Saints training sessions...

“He has been playing at centre-back in a lot of sessions, replacing Jack Stephens during his injury, & I must say that he does it in a good way.” - Ralph 

He's certainly not getting a look in at right-back in the near future with Tino and KWP...where does the lad go from here?

That's bizarre. He can't defend and gets bullied at RB. He'd be even worse at CB. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He may have looked interesting at CB in training, but that's because he's defending against Redmond/Moussa/Theo/Elyonoussi etc. Put him up against decent footballers and it will be a massacre, it's not even in the realms of 'give him a chance', he shouldn't get a chance to play at CB because he's not a defender let alone a CB.

Insanity if he's there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mean it has worked for us before - Chris Baird excelled there, as of course did Bertrand. I just think if you played a team with a proper centre forward, not Havertz, they’d quickly find a weak spot. Baird was composed, read the ball well and surprisingly good in the air - I just don’t see Valery as a centre back. Still the fact he didn’t look totally out of place tonight might mean I get proved wrong (and I’d be happy for that to happen !!)

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Thought he played very well tonight, he’s not the greatest for sure, but let no-one down tonight. 

Yep he did well, fair play, made several interceptions and really got involved in the game. I was sceptical but proved wrong last night. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brumsaint said:

I couldn't quite believe that Ralph had actually put him in as a CB, but to be fair he played OK there. I didn't see much that he did wrong.

I think that it was because it was in a back three which made it more effective. It allowed KWP to gallop ahead without a care in the world and if they broke down our right when he was up field, Valery would step across and act as a pseudo right back. 

He had an "ok" game, but I still didn't see anything that led me to believe that he is a Premier league player of the future (never mind today). 

3 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

He had an "ok" game, but I still didn't see anything that led me to believe that he is a Premier league player of the future (never mind today). 

Except he was playing a Premier League team and has played other such games and hasn't looked out of place. Some of us older fans ( I can't remember if you qualify!) will remember players who patently weren't. Mention (as an example) Lee Todd to such a fan and they will wince..

So I thought he played well, considering also his lack of recent opportunities, and he's a good enough player that you don't groan when you see his name on the team sheet. I've known plenty of those!

14 hours ago, Hodgey said:

I mean it has worked for us before - Chris Baird excelled there, as of course did Bertrand. I just think if you played a team with a proper centre forward, not Havertz, they’d quickly find a weak spot. Baird was composed, read the ball well and surprisingly good in the air - I just don’t see Valery as a centre back. Still the fact he didn’t look totally out of place tonight might mean I get proved wrong (and I’d be happy for that to happen !!)

Terry Venables preferred 1 centre half & 2 strong full backs in his three at the back as opposed to 3 traditional centre halves. This addresses the age old problem of centre halves being pulled out wide in a 3.  This problem is certainly something that Bednarek and to some extent Stephens struggle with, being exposed in the channel . Bertrand was ok in a three because he’s ok physically & can defend when dragged out wide. Salisu looks like he’s quick and intelligent enough as well .Maybe If Valery bulks out a bit & matures, maybe he could. You never know. 

Personally, I’m a big fan of a back 3, but the wide 2 have to be able to defend one on one in the channels. Playing it with the wrong centre halves is a fucking disaster 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think people seem to forget that Yan was class against Tottenham. I did think the second yellow was harsh. Hardly much contact on Obafemi. Nice he's said he's taken full responsibility. He's only 22, get behind him! :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The curious case of Yan Valery.

How did he do last night?

Pretty good after the first period of the game when the defence looked like they had never met each other before.

Made some great blocks and tackles. Didn't get outmuscled by Antonio which was the fear beforehand. 

Passing was a mixed bag.