Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Assessment of Winks from my Spurs supporting friend....

"He is ok, a bit of a sideways and backwards sort of player though, rather than being really creative. Reliable. Oliver Skipp came through the academy and took his spot so he is a bit back in the squad now. Would be decent for you though."

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

"He is ok, a bit of a sideways and backwards sort of player though, rather than being really creative. Reliable. Oliver Skipp came through the academy and took his spot so he is a bit back in the squad now. Would be decent for you though."

I know it's probably true as things currently stand, but that "would be decent for you though" is typical top 6 fan sort of saying. Which is why beating them in their own yard last season was so satisfying

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

He is ok, a bit of a sideways and backwards sort of player though, rather than being really creative. Reliable. Oliver Skipp came through the academy and took his spot so he is a bit back in the squad now. Would be decent for you though."

Bless them and their condescension 

22 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

If Harry Winks is the answer, then can someone kindly tell me what the question was?

Which player is every fans dream to wear the number 40 shirt?

(yes i know i've done this gag already but plenty of mileage in it yet)

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Assessment of Winks from my Spurs supporting friends...

'he is fucking shyte,  please take him,   nobody here likes him or rates him,'

( or words to that effect anyway)

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

We're surely not considering spaffing £20m on Harry fucking Winks. 

Passes safe and slowly, backwards and sideways. Can't tackle, can't head. No pace. No physicality. An absolute nonentity of a player.

He's not even Matt Oakley.

Agree.

Why does everyone think that we would replace Diallo if he does go?

We already signed Lavia.

Part of Diallo's problem is that he didn't get enough games, so why do we need to add another player if he leaves?

JWP has a great availability record and if fit will start 100% of league games, so then its either Lavia or Romeu alongside him.

If needed we have Armstrong and Aribo who can play centrally should we have an injury crisis of some kind.

Personally don't believe the Winks stuff for that reason, he isnt going to play ahead of JWP and what would the point of signing Lavia be if he ends up as 4th choice?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We already signed Lavia.

Part of Diallo's problem is that he didn't get enough games, so why do we need to add another player if he leaves?

JWP has a great availability record and if fit will start 100% of league games, so then its either Lavia or Romeu alongside him.

If needed we have Armstrong and Aribo who can play centrally should we have an injury crisis of some kind.

Personally don't believe the Winks stuff for that reason, he isnt going to play ahead of JWP and what would the point of signing Lavia be if he ends up as 4th choice?

People were suggesting that jwp could play further forward. 

15 minutes ago, Dellman said:

If we've money to invest, surely it will be on a striker not on another midfielder where we are already well stocked

With ones that don’t or can’t play the ball forward quickly enough. I lost count of the times our midfield totally missed the runs of our CF’s (esp Broja) last season. Not saying Winks is the answer to that as he is more if the same but we are crying out for a MF that actually looks to play the ball forward as soon as it’s at his feet.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dellman said:

If we've money to invest, surely it will be on a striker not on another midfielder where we are already well stocked

This is my argument. If it was Winks and still money for a striker It wouldn't be too bad, but I just don't think we have the money for both? Unless we are actually loaded.

Isn't Winks one of those 'experienced (but not old) prem' players some on here think we need?

I don't have an opinion about him. Really can't remember him in any game I've watched. Was he playing at their place when we beat them?

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

We already signed Lavia.

Romeu, who most of us would consider a 'key' player, is 30 years old and currently going into his last year of his contract with no noises about us trying to extend. For a club that seems to be focusing on youth currently i'm concerned that we may be looking to move him on. It's just a gut feeling but I can't see why else we wouldn't have already tried extending his contract. May be why the Winks rumours aren't going away as being more experienced he may be considered a better replacement for Romeu than another youngster.

8 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Romeu, who most of us would consider a 'key' player, is 30 years old and currently going into his last year of his contract with no noises about us trying to extend. For a club that seems to be focusing on youth currently i'm concerned that we may be looking to move him on. It's just a gut feeling but I can't see why else we wouldn't have already tried extending his contract. May be why the Winks rumours aren't going away as being more experienced he may be considered a better replacement for Romeu than another youngster.

Jeez he is only 30! Runs around like a 36yo on 20 Bensons a day! Love him though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SaintBitterne said:

Why is Winks being spoken about again?

Perhaps as a tactic to get Romeu to extend his contract? "If you're not going to extend, we'll just have to bring someone else in."

1 hour ago, DT said:

I screamed about Cornet but presume he's on a lot of lolly to split. Bit mivvied. He's great at getting on the end of whippy crosses. I'll stop now.

Good plan. Some folks have a mint choc chip on their shoulder, when it comes to puns. Right, back to waiting for the next transfer scoop...

4 hours ago, SaintBitterne said:

Why is Winks being spoken about again?

Painfully quiet atm, would like some stronger striker rumours

You know you're having a good transfer window when we're itching for another signing all of 6 days since the last one!

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Everton really have no transfer policy besides "who can we sign from relegated clubs". 😄

• Like 1

If Winks is brought in to strengthen our CM then I am fine with that, we were painfully shortn last year with Rom, JWP and Diablo, if were to end up with Rom, JWP, Romeo, Diallo.and Winks with Small one also available I would be OK with that, would allow us to go 3 in the middle with bench options. Still need a no 10 and 2 strikers (and ditch Walcott, Redmond and Djenepo). To be honest without 2 strikers everything else we do is just noise.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They are both central midfielders, but that is the position... not the role. Romeu's role is more defensive than Winks.

I’m sure there is heat maps etc. To back me up or prove me wrong, but from what I’ve seen on us (in the flesh), out of possession, Romeu is the one who plays more advanced trying to win the ball higher up the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

They are both central midfielders, but that is the position... not the role. Romeu's role is more defensive than Winks.

Talk us through that one in more detail please, with examples to explain your working. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Talk us through that one in more detail please, with examples to explain your working. 

Having watched an enjoyable game of football, I come back here to find a notification involving MLG. The online equivalent to returning from a lovely night out, to find a turd on your doorstep.  🙂

I'm sure even in DatabaseLand it will be clear that both Winks and Romeu can play a number of roles in a defensive or central midfield position.

• Like 1