39 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Yes, Because a player would prefer Saints over Valencia. 😏

Looks like he prefers Seville over both of those options... 😉

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Beaut city though. 👌

Second that one, what a place.

Edited by GGalpin
  • Haha 1

Any talk of Gomez is ludicrous given Liverpool's injuries, clear he will be starting the next few games for them.

Regarding Ramos, never feel like the Portuguese sides are easy to deal with, and assuming they make the CL why would a.) They sell him and b.) He be interested in a relegation-threatened PL side? Not confident something like that will come to fruition, especially given competition.

On Djenepo, seeing as we will clearly keep him, it wouldnt suprise me if he signs a contract extension. Would be a bit silly to lose him on a free at the end of the season given he is still so young. Might be silly not to sign a full back but maybe Livramento is on track to return after the WC and they feel we can get by til then rather than sign someone who won't even make the squad in January?

Finally...props to @SaintRob_ for stringing so many along on #SaintsFC Twitter. The lad plays the percentages well and could teach a lot of the @AgentITK types a thing or two about how to build followership despite knowing fuck all.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Any talk of Gomez is ludicrous given Liverpool's injuries, clear he will be starting the next few games for them.

Regarding Ramos, never feel like the Portuguese sides are easy to deal with, and assuming they make the CL why would a.) They sell him and b.) He be interested in a relegation-threatened PL side? Not confident something like that will come to fruition, especially given competition.

On Djenepo, seeing as we will clearly keep him, it wouldnt suprise me if he signs a contract extension. Would be a bit silly to lose him on a free at the end of the season given he is still so young. Might be silly not to sign a full back but maybe Livramento is on track to return after the WC and they feel we can get by til then rather than sign someone who won't even make the squad in January?

Yup exactly. And we can get by with the current squad, Stephens, JWP, Diallo, Bednarek. Redmond Djenepo have all played at full back / wing back, They we’re expecting Perraud to be out until mid September so bit of a miracle he’s back already tbh. The loan deals we’ve tried to do, have been so expensive, and like you say, they won’t play after January, and will probably barely play before that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup exactly. And we can get by with the current squad, Stephens, JWP, Diallo, Bednarek. Redmond Djenepo have all played at full back / wing back, They we’re expecting Perraud to be out until mid September so bit of a miracle he’s back already tbh. The loan deals we’ve tried to do, have been so expensive, and like you say, they won’t play after January, and will probably barely play before that. 

The worry there is, aren’t nearly all of those players ones (supposedly) we’re happy to let go? 

1 minute ago, Appy said:

The worry there is, aren’t nearly all of those players ones (supposedly) we’re happy to let go? 

Well, my gut feeling is that we will hold onto 1 or 2. Djenepo clearly most likely to stay I think, which is why he’s playing atm. And a better option than Bednarek. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well, my gut feeling is that we will hold onto 1 or 2. Djenepo clearly most likely to stay I think, which is why he’s playing atm. And a better option than Bednarek. 

Is no full back coming in 100% do you think? Or is there still a chance?

15 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Hmm, the ''get by with current squad'' stuff bit us in the arse before. I think it would be mental to go into the season with Moussa as our second left back. Nuts.

He is an absolute liability defensively. Seems a good character and works hard and can provide an attacking threat, but he cannot defend. Against the 'big sides' he will be expected to defend the wide players. Look at what kulusevski did to him.  Teams will target him for fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hmm, the ''get by with current squad'' stuff bit us in the arse before. I think it would be mental to go into the season with Moussa as our second left back. Nuts.

He is an absolute liability defensively. Seems a good character and works hard and can provide an attacking threat, but he cannot defend. Against the 'big sides' he will be expected to defend the wide players. Look at what kulusevski did to him.  Teams will target him for fun.

Agreed 100%, we need a full back, has to be second priority after striker for me. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That would be an own goal and would leave us incredibly short. No Tino, Small loaned out, Perraud seemingly still struggling.

And Ramsey released.

As far as I can tell the only fit full backs at the club who aren't youth team players are Walker-Peters and Vokins (who hasn't been in a Saints match squad for a year).

It'd be absolutely wild for us to not bring another full back in. Negligent, even.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

And Ramsey released.

As far as I can tell the only fit full backs at the club who aren't youth team players are Walker-Peters and Vokins (who hasn't been in a Saints match squad for a year).

It'd be absolutely wild for us to not bring another full back in. Negligent, even.

Add Valery to the list

27 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

And Ramsey released.

Especially as it would be the second time in 18 months.

24 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

And Ramsey released.

Two seasons ago it killed us.We got away with it last season, but not having two good fullbacks on each side  is foolish considering the importance of the position. I guess like last year, every year, there is only so much money to spend.

It’s looking like a ‘we tried’ kind of end of window. Very dangerous to swerve a full back or striker. Ok try but not succeed. Could be very harmful. We’re going to be looking at one point in August potentially. Cue accusations of ‘bed wetting’   Yawn. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Hassenhuttl literally said 5 days ago we are looking at bringing in a full back? Would be ridiculous if we didn't. 

What if we had a bunch of fullbacks on a list, made enquiries and found that for, whatever reason, none were available.

Would you then scramble around and try to sign any random full back, even if they weren't on your original list, or maybe just leave it and cover the position with what you have until Livramento is fit? Especially if doing this allowed slightly more money to be spent on another crucial position that needs covering, like, say a striker?

All this has to come into consideration when you are working within a budget.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What if we had a bunch of fullbacks on a list, made enquiries and found that for, whatever reason, none were available.

Would you then scramble around and try to sign any random full back, even if they weren't on your original list, or maybe just leave it and cover the position with what you have until Livramento is fit? Especially if doing this allowed slightly more money to be spent on another crucial position that needs covering, like, say a striker?

if we can't find a left back better than Djenepo you don't sign him, obviously. I suspect we want to loan a player and thats not easy to find the quality and a player willing to move for one season.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Agree. Ideal world we’d have a new striker, number 10 and full back but all depends on budget and availability of players. I guess you can argue that Lavia wasn’t essential but he seems to be decent so it’s not really wasted money.

• Like 1

Why are some getting nervous about a full back when we’ve got Perraud close to full fitness and Tino probably ready after the World Cup? I would think a short-term loan would suffice to get us through to year end. Think a striker is more important now.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 4

I really think that after a striker, we should be prioritising a starting LB. Someone that is an immediate upgrade on Perraud (who I rate but has had a number of injuries since joining). Surely the club aren’t comfortable with KWP, Perraud, Valery and Djenepo as our fit & available FB options? I’d be looking to move on the latter two…

3 hours ago, DT said:

It’s looking like a ‘we tried’ kind of end of window. Very dangerous to swerve a full back or striker. Ok try but not succeed. Could be very harmful. We’re going to be looking at one point in August potentially. Cue accusations of ‘bed wetting’   Yawn. 

I don't think you'll get accused of bed wetting, one fit full back and 1 point in August are both reasonably possible, albeit I think slightly unlikely/conservative given I reckon we'll pick up points out of Leicester / United, perraud is surely back soon, and we'll hopefully address any residual squad depth issues at fullback. Also don't forget Tino is in training so hopefully back by the end of the year. 

Edited by Saint86

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why are some getting nervous about a full back when we’ve got Perraud close to full fitness and Tino probably ready after the World Cup?

Livramento has had a serious injury - potentially career ending - that most players struggle to fully get back up to speed from a year later - if not longer.

We shouldn't be budgeting for his return any time soon. I doubt he'll start six games this season. 

So we need a covering option for the whole campaign. Whether that's a loan, or an experienced free (Aurier, Sidibe, Malcuit among some very serviceable right backs without a club) on a one year contract, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

A lot of money for a player that got 7 goals in 29 appearances last season...

Think he was backup/rotation with Nunez last season. Came on as sub in 12 of them and started but subbed in 13 games. A goal every 230mins apparently which is about a goal every 2.5 games, not sure how that compares with wassisface from Monaco. 😅

I reckon we’re after a full back.

Bear in mind the club 95% of the time operates behind closed doors and we don’t normally get a snippet or whiff of any deal until it’s almost about to be announced.

The exceptions this summer I think were Svanberg - which ended up being a load of journos latching onto the same BS story. And Ramos last night - and may or may not happen 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1