Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Few notes from the game

1. First half we were definitely trying to draw them on to us at the back with slow passes, once they pushed forward to press us we were then playing much faster balls forwards with quick one and two touch movements. Imagine this tactic will be used in some of the tougher early games. 

2. We played mostly with 3 CBs then the wingbacks really pushing high. The 3 CBs played pretty far apart when we were on the ball, narrowing up when we lost possession. Was interesting to see Stephens and Valery almost out at LB/RB positions.

3. A. Armstrong is so clearly a confidence player, couple of poor touches early on but once he had a couple of better moments, he was transformed and became much more effective. 

4. Aribo is quality, doesn't matter if there's 2 players tight to him, head is up and working out options. Made a great tackle tracking back too, really solid. 

5. Diallo looks much better playing in a midfield 3

6. Glad we didn't splash out on Minamino, lots of running but not a lot else. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Anyone who drinks bitter/ale will love the new season!

£5 a 330ml can coke size Big Mountain IPA no draught just Kingfisher and Cider.

I wonder if they know there are 2 breweries within a quarter of a mile of stadium ?

Yeah I'm surprised they haven't got Unity involved in particular

My view of last night from a bit of disillusionment first half to optimism and enjoyment of the second half performance.
In general terms it was a decent match played at a high tempo with quite a lot of crunching tackles which didnt affect the flow of the game thanks to the referee and both sets of players taking the challenges in their stride.
Overall we look a bigger, more physical side.
Defensively we look OK but just need the star dust up front a decent striker will bring

Ratings

McCarthy    6  Often stationed well outside the penalty area to receive back passes. Distribution dodgy at times. Cant be blamed for the goal in my opinion and made one excellent save to tip the ball onto the post first half. 
Valery      7.5    One of his better games. Decent in possession and relatively strong at the back. One misplaced pass in an otherwise very decent performance
Peraud       6    Surprised to see him back after injury. Subbed at half time but he did OK after a reasonable lengthy time out.
Stephens 6.5  Solid despite having to play on the left side of the back four.
Lyanco     6.5  Similar to Stephens defensively. One or two raking passes forward which could have led to something. Went off injured towards the end.
Redmond  6    An average game in my opinion. Did nothing to hurt Monaco in the final third of the field
Romeu       7    Purposeful game and seemed to have the opportunity to get forward a bit more than usual.
Diallo       6.5  Buzzed around a lot in midfield but occasionally out muscled by some of their bigger players.
Adams      6   I think Che has a part to play this season. He works hard and adds a bit of robustness to the forward line. Far too right footed but this wont change.
A Armstrong  6 I feel rather sorry for Adam. He has ability but his stature occasionally goes against him when faced with big, quick central defenders he often has to face. Has scored two goals in pre season so that is a plus. However can see him leaving if more complete strikers are brought in.
Elyounoussi 6  Bng on average

Replacements
Djenepo       6  I
feel sure he is well liked by his team mates but to me he is a frustrating player. Has talent but doesnt show this consistently enough for me.
                        Ideally I would like to see a left footed player on this side of the team. Too early for Thierry Small unfortunately.
Aribo           7  Nice cameo performance. Seems he will be used as an old fashioned inside right. Provides more height and physicality in this part of the field.

JWP           7.5    Seem to be used on the left side of midfield pushing forward more than usual. Took his goal really well.
Stuart A      7     Helped make a difference when he came on. Perhaps deserves another half point for a well taken goal.
Bednerak   6    Slotted in well when he came on later in the game
Bella-Kotchap 6  Same as Bednerak. Looks a useful acquisition.
KWP          6.5    With Valery at FB Kyle played more forward, more or less as a winger and did very well. An option there when Livramento returns?

Edited by spyinthesky

I don’t think McCarthy touched the ball when it hit the post. He seemed to me to be late getting there.

As for their goal at the time I thought I might be being harsh to put any blame on him but now that I’ve seen the view from behind the goal he does react very late to the shot.

His kicking was as bad as ever, possibly worse. I wonder if that’s why they kept trying to play short balls around the area?

15 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t think McCarthy touched the ball when it hit the post. He seemed to me to be late getting there.

As for their goal at the time I thought I might be being harsh to put any blame on him but now that I’ve seen the view from behind the goal he does react very late to the shot.

His kicking was as bad as ever, possibly worse. I wonder if that’s why they kept trying to play short balls around the area?

He definitely did get a touch, we were sat pretty close.

Maybe one of the top keepers would have saved that but it was hit low and hard and he would have been partially unsighted until late.

I get that people don't like him but you have to try and be fair to everyone regardless of pre-conceptions.

His kicking was gash but then it always has been and he doesn't have the luxury of just being able to launch every kick down the park because of the way he's being asked to play.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He definitely did get a touch, we were sat pretty close.

Maybe one of the top keepers would have saved that but it was hit low and hard and he would have been partially unsighted until late.

I get that people don't like him but you have to try and be fair to everyone regardless of pre-conceptions.

His kicking was gash but then it always has been and he doesn't have the luxury of just being able to launch every kick down the park because of the way he's being asked to play.

Why?

I don't think it's been done before...

• Haha 1

It was surprising how quickly Monaco tired last evening bearing in mind how far forward they are in their preparations for the new season and with a Champions League qualifier coming up next week. They were fine in the first half and it was pretty even Stevens, indeed they shaded it in quality and deserved their 1-0 lead. If ever there was game of two halves this was it.

As the second half progressed Saints began to take control and especially after 65 mins when KWP, JWP and Armstrong were introduced the extra quality and energy seemed to finish off the visitors and the game became progressively one-sided. Although well taken S Armstrong's goal was a bit of a comedy routine as Monaco allowed him to think what was happening when the ball landed at his feet, to turn 180 and bang the ball in the net. Don't let's kid ourselves, in the PL the CB's would have gone right through SA and taken the ball long before he had a chance to sort himself out. The skipper's goal was sublime.

Quite a satisfying evening overall when most of our players acquitted themselves very well and there was little to complain about. First half Valery, Lyanco, Diallo & Elyonoussi - often the butts of derision and ire of the intelligentsia of this forum - forced themselves into the reckoning for a first team start. With Monaco flagging in the second half it was harder to pick out individual stand-out performances simply because pretty much everyone played well especially in the last 20 minutes when we dominated.

Great to have a win at last, it's been a while, let's hope it is the first of many.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It was surprising how quickly Monaco tired last evening bearing in mind how far forward they are in their preparations for the new season and with a Champions League qualifier coming up next week. They were fine in the first half and it was pretty even Stevens, indeed they shaded it in quality and deserved their 1-0 lead. If ever there was game of two halves this was it.

As the second half progressed Saints began to take control and especially after 65 mins when KWP, JWP and Armstrong were introduced the extra quality and energy seemed to finish off the visitors and the game became progressively one-sided. Although well taken S Armstrong's goal was a bit of a comedy routine as Monaco allowed him to think what was happening when the ball landed at his feet, to turn 180 and bang the ball in the net. Don't let's kid ourselves, in the PL the CB's would have gone right through SA and taken the ball long before he had a chance to sort himself out. The skipper's goal was sublime.

Quite a satisfying evening overall when most of our players acquitted themselves very well and there was little to complain about. First half Valery, Lyanco, Diallo & Elyonoussi - often the butts of derision and ire of the intelligentsia of this forum - forced themselves into the reckoning for a first team start. With Monaco flagging in the second half it was harder to pick out individual stand-out performances simply because pretty much everyone played well especially in the last 20 minutes when we dominated.

Great to have a win at last, it's been a while, let's hope it is the first of many.

Oh no, Charlie is that you? You enjoyed our game......say whaaaaaaa......was looking forward to you not stepping a foot into SM. Oh well, I guess a leopard can change it spots. Nice to see you on the happy sauce today 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JRM said:

Agree with that, sloppy in possession at times and Monaco could have punished us more first half but overall a good win. From where you were sat did it look like any of the new coaching team were getting more involved? 

One negative - why on earth did the club have so many stewards guarding the Itchen North spending the whole game jumping on anyone who stood , its a small area that creates some atmosphere with thousands of empty seats elsewhere for those who wanted to sit, seems like the club just want to cause trouble as they're already trying to break up that area by restricting sales of season tickets, shame to lose one of the few areas that actually creates some atmosphere 

Ralph seemed to be turning around and chatting to them more than I have seen previously, they didn't get up and join him in the technical area that I noticed though.

Agree about the stewards, all seemed a bit unnecessary

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Still can't get over that dive in the lead up to our third goal. They should dedicate a stamp in that player's honour just for having the cheek to try it.

I jokingly said that it would get chalked off when VAR brought play back to give Monaco a penalty. It did look a bit theatrical from the Kingsland.

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I jokingly said that it would get chalked off when VAR brought play back to give Monaco a penalty. It did look a bit theatrical from the Kingsland.

If it was a PL game and it was a Liverpool or United player, you just know the commentator would have said something stupid like "Well the fact that he went down SO theatrically means it must be a penalty"

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Oh no, Charlie is that you? You enjoyed our game......say whaaaaaaa......was looking forward to you not stepping a foot into SM. Oh well, I guess a leopard can change it spots. Nice to see you on the happy sauce today 👍

Looks more like a case of logging in under the wrong account to me... ;)

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Any idea how many tickets we have sold for tomorrow?

Not many , Itchen pretty much sold out although hospitality will have loads empty and blocks right behind dugouts are blocked off. 

Kingsland closed. 

Chapel and Northam open but not many sold. Probably about 10k - 12k with a decent walk up. 

Should have made it £1 for kids. 

Despite being Champions league semi finalists Villarreal not really a big name with star players to attract the casual fans. Would have thought having a chance to see some of our new exciting players might have drummed up a bit more interest. 

6 hours ago, JRM said:

Despite being Champions league semi finalists Villarreal not really a big name with star players to attract the casual fans. Would have thought having a chance to see some of our new exciting players might have drummed up a bit more interest. 

They are basically exactly the same level and grade of European team that we play every single pre season. 

It's not like in other years we are playing Barcelona or Juventus. We never play anyone that the "casual fan" would fall over themselves to see because of their star players.

The only reason a casual fan would ever go is to see our new players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRM said:

Chapel and Northam open but not many sold. Probably about 10k - 12k with a decent walk up. 

Should have made it £1 for kids. 

Just can't see too many walk-ups at £20 a pop. Should be a tenner max for friendlies (depending on opposition) and always a quid-for-kids.

We almost never host a European giant, last I can recall would be Bayern Munich. Seem to remember it being mid-season for some reason and the place was rammed. Possibly the biggest ever attendance inside St Mary's as there were thousands still outside at kick-off and they must have just opened gates to ease the pressure because there were people sat/stood in the aisles.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Just can't see too many walk-ups at £20 a pop. Should be a tenner max for friendlies (depending on opposition) and always a quid-for-kids.

We almost never host a European giant, last I can recall would be Bayern Munich. Seem to remember it being mid-season for some reason and the place was rammed. Possibly the biggest ever attendance inside St Mary's as there were thousands still outside at kick-off and they must have just opened gates to ease the pressure because there were people sat/stood in the aisles.

I remember that one, was in January wasn't it during German winter break, don't think they were expecting so many to turn up! 

On 28/07/2022 at 13:16, Matthew Le God said:

The entire Monaco game...

Good performance shows that the players are all decent players lets hope they show that they are decent players in the PL where a great many are more than decent

On 28/07/2022 at 14:50, The Cat said:

Ralph seemed to be turning around and chatting to them more than I have seen previously, they didn't get up and join him in the technical area that I noticed though.

Agree about the stewards, all seemed a bit unnecessary

I noticed this too: a good thing. Never (or almost never) saw this last season.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 13:16, Matthew Le God said:

The entire Monaco game...

Brilliant, thanked for posting.

I emailed the Club yesterday ask them to stream the whole of today's match rather than the highlights after the game has finished (EFL restrictions on live broadcasting).

If you get the opportunity would you be good enough to post the whole Villa Real match on here tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Brilliant, thanked for posting.

I emailed the Club yesterday ask them to stream the whole of today's match rather than the highlights after the game has finished (EFL restrictions on live broadcasting).

If you get the opportunity would you be good enough to post the whole Villa Real match on here tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

DAZN Canada are also broadcasting the Villarreal game. So they'll be live streams from them, plus I guess they'll also put the entire game on YouTube like they did with Monaco.

• Like 2

My first outing today, and very much looking forward to it.  I'm in the Itchen for this one (normally Kingsland).  Can't wait to see Bazunu, Mara and hopefully Aribo play; really exciting signings.  

I don't normally do pre-season matches as it's all a bit meh, but I've been carried away by our transfer window.  Haven't looked forward to a season so much in a long time.  

Obviously it's Saints so it could all unravel quickly, but I'm not feeling that way, which is a little weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamSaint said:

Saints not allowed to stream the game live as today is the start of the EFL season. https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-29/preview-southampton-vs-villarreal-pre-season-friendly-30-july-2022

What a load of arse biscuits.

Hate this and the 'no live games on TV/streamed on Saturday at 3pm' nonsense.

The old reason (if memory serves) was to help avoid reduction in attendances. Right. Because these days that's SO important.

Hopefully they'll be a dodgy stream somewhere. Saintsplayer perhaps.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Interesting line up, you’d think the intent would be for it to be very close to the intended line up next week (Mara needs some game time but looks like a place is there to be won).

I would think barring any mishaps that will be the lineup next Saturday.