Djenepo

st_tommy

What an absolute star he’s been. Spurs aside where I think we was cast adrift by poor tactics, he’s done well and today here’s some stats 

Moussa Djenepo made more successful ball recoveries (10), made more successful tackles (4/6) and made more interceptions (3) than any other Southampton player against Leicester City. 

Work rate. #SaintsFC #SOU #LEISOU

Done well to adapt to his new position 

• Like 14

He was great against Leeds too, particularly second half, some great attacking play and did his bit defensively. Ralph clearly likes him because he’s given him chance after chance, and I like him too. Obviously not afraid to do his bit for the team, no matter where he’s asked to play. Really pleased for him.

• Like 2

In all the minutes I have watched him, never dreamed I would be contributing to a thread praising him, but he was a revelation today! Definitely gives us another option at LB, was tracking back well, putting the tackles in when needed and for some reason Leicester felt they would get more joy out of ABK, so sorry Leicester (not). Guess it gives Ralph an option to do what he did last year, when he used KWP at LB when he wanted a more attacking option and Perraud when he wanted a more defensive one, without having to switch KWP around.

• Like 1

For years we've tried to find full backs who can go forward and play like a winger.

Moussa may not be a natural full back, but going forward from deep positions  and taking on

the opposing full back - he's terrifying.  His footwork is a delight to watch, and I'm not even sure

he knows what he's doing himself, but it's very effective and his crosses into the box are top rate.

If he scores himself soon,  it'll be no more than he deserves. 

• Like 2

What a star.

As many have said, his attitude and commitment is really refreshing - he gives everything for the cause.

He's by no means a left-back, but his positioning and even some of his defensive attributes are improving and yesterday just showed how it has all come together for him.

Going forward he's a real livewire and was perhaps the key to us taking those 10 steps up the pitch both yesterday and against Leeds.

Bravo Moussa.

• Like 3

Scares the shit out of me with some of his dribbling near our box, plus the odd sliced clearance, and I'm still not convinced he knows what he'll do next when attacking.

That said: he works hard, brings something different to the side and so far is doing much more good than bad for us.

Keep working hard Moussa: there's cult status up for grabs!

• Like 2

Worth also remembering he’s only just turned 24, so only 11 months older than Nathan Tella who we all regard as being a youngster. When you consider he’s only played 60 odd games for us he’s still quite raw, so it’s good to see him developing. 

• Like 3

I'm pleased he's started the season so well and has adapted to the new position. He was always a quick, tricky player (sometimes it seems his feet act before his brain!) and despite starting well with us his time has been spent injured a lot. I'm hoping he stays injury free now as he always seemed to be made of glass.

He's done great in an unfamiliar position but not 100% convinced it will work long term as most of the complaints about him were that he's far too lightweight and makes bad decisions, attributes that don't work well in a semi defensive position, time will tell and hopefully he continues to improve 🙏

Fair play to Djenepo I thought he was superb today. If he can maintain this level then we are ok at full back. I think we need a few more performances like today to convince the majority of us but he surprised me as I didn't expect him to do so well playing as part of a back 4.

• Like 3

Yep thought he was great, won a number of one on one battles, drove forward with the ball well, picked the right passes. Have always felt there’s something in there, and he’s always been a real hard worker. Hope when Perraud is fit he can become useful in the attacking roles again.

Credit where it's due, the bloke is full of energy and it spreads. Having Adam Armstrong's pace in front of him does help (in a 4), you can tell on some occasions that he isn't a full back but he's had to do a job and he's left it all out on the pitch - that's all you can ask.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Complete turnaround. Can't wait for Perraud to get back to full match sharpness so we can have proper balance on the left and Djenepo replacing Elyounoussi going forward.

Completely agree. He’s become pretty reliable in the middle third, and he’s exciting in the front third, but he can look like a lost sheep in the defensive third - as he did today on United’s goal. He’s an unpredictable enigma who brings things that Elyanoussi can’t bring. 

He has been everything I feel we have missed last season, he works so so hard, gets stuck in and is unpredictable going forward.

For these first few games I'd like him to get a contract, imagine him as a no.10 in front of perraud, they both comfortably defend when they interplay and moussa can be very dangerous up front.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He'll tear up the Championship next season. :twisted:

Seriously he's had injury issues and sometimes it looks as if he panics or his legs act before his brain but he's still learning and has proved this season that hard work and versatility are welcomed in this team. We've really only seen him at left (wing) back this season so it'll be interesting to see him back in AM to see if he can recapture his early performances for us. Mind you AArmstrong is doing well there so....

Hopefully he can put injury issues behind him and flourish.

38 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Incredible. He’s done alright but he’s the kind of player I’d be hoping we shipped out at the end of the season.

Yeah, I'm the same really. I don't wanna be talking down a player who has clearly worked very hard and had a solid start to the season, but he definitely high among the names I've wanted out over the last couple of seasons. Still, I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong - and all he's gotta do to manage it is keep up what he's currently doing. Good luck, lad.

• Like 2

The unfortunate thing about the Djenepo situation is he was played at left back out of necessity meaning he got a run of games because there was no other option. 

Now he's freed up to play further forward there are plenty of other options so he won't get a run of games, which will probably work against him.

He's still young though.

I’m really happy about this too. A player still not at peak, who can cover 2-3 positions. A popular guy in the squad by all accounts. Someone who has worked hard to recover from injuries and keep knocking on the door. Yes he can be frustrating, yes he often seems unaware of what he’s doing. But he’s got high level of technical skill and he is getting stronger physically. 

Moussa is a developing player.

If you look back at posts two years ago people said a major weakness was coming back on the right wing to join in with defensive actions.

At 24 he proved a more than capable at LB in the Premier League.

Getting a new contract signed is good for the club, for team morale, and for tactical options with a 9 man bench.

When the 3 years is up, he's 27 and there's still a lot of value left in him.

Definitely not the biggest fan of his before this season. Great start to his time here but then poor performances and injuries took over. Hes obviously worked hard over the summer and his versatility is a great asset for us. Some very good performances at LB this season and deserved an extension. Lets hope he kicks on now and doesnt revert to type